Fox Basement DIY Theater Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fox Basement DIY Theater Build

So I am starting to renovate my basement. Just finished ripping it out just about everything that was in the basement. Now I am trying to figure out the best layout for the theater room. I have been browsing these forums for quite a few years and am ready to finally be able to start my own theater. Currently there are no walls and almost anything can be rearranged at this point except for the furnace, bathroom, and the water heater.

Goals for this project are to have a soundproof room, seating for at least 4 people, and ideally a 100-120" screen, and be reasonably priced. I currently have also have 2 18" subwoofer drivers that I plan to use to build a couple of martysubs, so I will need to find a location to place those.

At this point just looking for any input on the room layout as I could move it if anyone has input. The attached layout is a rough floorpan of what I had planned to do with the basement. The room dimensions do not include any framing/insulation so the rooms will end up being a little smaller than the listed dimensions. The ceiling height is only 7'4".

Thanks for any input and I am excited to start the theater build!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	2583184  
Jk7.2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Fox Basement DIY Theater Build

What’s going on with that storage room on the bottom right corner? I see several things I like about that area. For sound proofing reasons, it would have three walls that are concrete. You could have a room that’s 21’ long by 12’ wide. That is less square, and better to avoid sitting in a null for bass. The extra room length makes it easy to do a false wall and A/T screen, if that’s something you want. My room dimensions are 12.5 X 22 and I love it. Just a couple thoughts I had if it were my space.
Mocs123 and mhutchins like this.
post #3 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
What’s going on with that storage room on the bottom right corner? I see several things I like about that area. For sound proofing reasons, it would have three walls that are concrete. You could have a room that’s 21’ long by 12’ wide. That is less square, and better to avoid sitting in a null for bass. The extra room length makes it easy to do a false wall and A/T screen, if that’s something you want. My room dimensions are 12.5 X 22 and I love it. Just a couple thoughts I had if it were my space.
I was thinking about that this morning actually as that would be ideal. Unfortunately the main water line, water heater, water softener, pressure tank, and well pump electrical are all in that corner. On the opposite side of that room is the electrical panel and a utility sink. I think it would be too expensive to move all of that to a different location. There also is all our built in storage shelves currently in that room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi tmn107

Just a thought if you're looking to increase the theatre room length.

As you come down the stairs & turn right, there's a room called "Other" which looks a bit wasted to me. Why not include that into the theatre-room.

This means a little re-arranging to gain access to that & other rooms.

So swap the "Closet" & the "Laundry" around, which will make a walk-way through the middle of the old laundry as is now.

Then put 'French styled doors" across the front of the newly dressed laundry area (similar to what's there now) which will conceal & hide that equipment.

Problem solved & a bigger theatre-room.

But this all depends on your plans with the room called "Unfinished Basement". If it's just going to be a rumpus-room & not a bedroom, then it works.

Cheers, Steve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RRRoom.png
Views:	29
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2583270   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedRRRoom_LI.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	2583272  

Last edited by Luddy111dog; 06-22-2019 at 04:43 PM.
post #5 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddy111dog View Post
Hi tmn107

Just a thought if you're looking to increase the theatre room length.

As you come down the stairs & turn right, there's a room called "Other" which looks a bit wasted to me. Why not include that into the theatre-room.

This means a little re-arranging to gain access to that & other rooms.

So swap the "Closet" & the "Laundry" around, which will make a walk-way through the middle of the old laundry as is now.

Then put 'French styled doors" across the front of the newly dressed laundry area (similar to what's there now) which will conceal & hide that equipment.

Problem solved & a bigger theatre-room.

But this all depends on your plans with the room called "Unfinished Basement". If it's just going to be a rumpus-room & not a bedroom, then it works.

Cheers, Steve.
Thanks for the input, that is an interesting thought, though not sure either of us like having to walk through the laundry room to get to both the theater and the office. We had planned on using the "Other Room" to the right of the stairs as a snack bar area and a place to put our extra fridge/freezer.

Though to extend the theater room I could just put an angled walled from the bottom of the steps to the hallway like in the attached image

Not sure I need another a bigger theater room or not, lol. I have never actually been in a house that has had a real home theater in it so not sure what to expect on the size/scale only what I have seen done on this website.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	2583310  
post #6 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 825
How about you post a floor plan with all of the basement obstacles on the floor plan. It will significantly focus potential options, and potentially open up
some out of the box thinking.

If all you really need is 4 seats and a single row of seats, the space you have posted works ok, but a bit more room volume wouldn't hurt come audio performance.

I think you also need to consider your furnace maintenance access and what that entails, and add a bit more space around it.
JCJetta likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How about a "stealth" laundry room? The washer and dryer could be behind some doors. The type that open and slide back into a recess, much like doors on some tv cabinets.
Done right, one would never know there's a laundry room there....

Assuming there's no support post in that back wall, something like this, which builds upon some already offered interesting ideas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fox baserment B.jpg
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	2583382  
post #8 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And a quick/half baked thought about flipping the room 180, and tying the entrance to the bathroom, rather then the end of the stairs.

Again assuming there's no support post (or one that couldn't be removed) in that hallway wall....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	half baked flip thought.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	2583386  
post #9 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I would start by asking yourself what do you really want to accomplish with this basement. It's clear you want a theater, an office, a laundry room, a half bathroom, and some storage. The unfinished space is not clear, and neither is the wasted hallway space. In today's market, you want to try to avoid too many defined hallways if it all possible. I did a quick mod, but personally, I would also increase the size of the laundry further room AND the bathroom for greater resale value down the road - everyone can appreciate a nicer laundry room and a more spacious bathroom. I'd use the window in the laundry room instead of the bathroom. You can put a door at the back of the bathroom to get to the sump pump.

Is there only the one flight of stairs, or is there a second flight? If so, is it to the north or south of the first flight?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basement.png
Views:	18
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2583452  
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #10 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

High/low room for a DIY'er. Pretty much reflective of what I plan for my next space.

High in higher end design principles, that will maximize performance potential performance. Low end in the actual seat count. But if one doesn't need a lot of seats, then
some potent fronts, and the limited speaker throw distances, then an acoustically isolated space, would yield impressive performance.

I do like the idea of splitting four of www.gsgad.com Marty sub cabinets with a friend, to nail down their cheap 4 pack flat pack shipping. Couple them with a DIY AT screen, and
you just need some flat black finishes. DIY Sound has some speaker options for the fronts.

I myself like the entry door in the back corner, because it gives me uninterrupted side walls, for nice sight lines. A friend did some simple black speaker grill fabric walls, bought by the bolt.
That could hide surround speakers, and allow for some acoustical treatments, all hidden.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fox basement more detail.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	2583464  
post #11 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Steve, what did you do with the furnace?
post #12 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ouch, didn't even notice it. Because of the utilities being so spaced out, I think you are unfortunately stuck with either a compromise in the bathroom being unreachable from certain rooms - as others have shown - or things being very piece-mealed out.

If that is your only laundry room for the whole house, imo, I'd want it bigger - I'd want a real room.

How many bathroom sin the rest of the house? Full or half?
post #13 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think it's a very nice basement and I see all kinds of potential layouts.

I wouldn't be above hiding the laundry room is plain sight. I bet the final best home theater is going to involve one smaller compromise, or some extra work.
post #14 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Tedd, I am really liking a lot about your layout right now. I like being able to enter the theater right at the bottom of the stairs and then having that really nice space to put the A/V closet.

Ok here is a bunch of pictures of the basement, it's a mess right now. I had just moved everything to one side of the basement, so that I could work on removing the old glued on linoleum tiles. They are a PITA to get up. As you can see I only have got a little bit up so far. We are planning on doing an epoxy as the floors slope to much in that room to lay and flooring over top of it.

I tried to annotate the pictures to give a better idea of where some of the fixed structure needs to be. None of the current framing that is left is going to stay, except maybe the wall dividing the potential theater room location and the office.

I am going to play around with the laundry room/bathroom locations, I'm thinking I may put one or the other in the small space to the left of the walk out french doors as it is kind of an awkward space. We were just planning on having the dog crates over there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2583650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2583652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2583654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2583656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2583658  

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2583660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2583662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2583664  
post #15 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Is there only the one flight of stairs, or is there a second flight? If so, is it to the north or south of the first flight?
There is only one flight of stairs it is a ranch style house with a full basement.

Quote:
If that is your only laundry room for the whole house, imo, I'd want it bigger - I'd want a real room.

How many bathroom sin the rest of the house? Full or half?
Yes it is the only laundry room and I agree it would be nice to have a larger real laundry room.

The main floor has 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. We renovated the main floor and gutted the kitchen last year and onto the basement reno this year. I am really proud of the kitchen we built as I had never done a project that large before, it was really in outdated when we bought the house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9197.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	2583672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Size:	556.6 KB
ID:	2583674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Size:	682.2 KB
ID:	2583676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	639.4 KB
ID:	2583678  
pkinneb and Tedd like this.
post #16 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very nice kitchen! Is that a wenge wood on the cabinets?
post #17 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Very nice kitchen! Is that a wenge wood on the cabinets?
I have never even heard of wedge wood I had to look up what it was, but no it is a walnut wood print.

I am still playing around with the layout. Is there a reason not to do the angled wall? Would it be bad acoustically?
post #18 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

add bar row, delete ATMOS....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FOX bar row.jpg
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	2583712  
post #19 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The angled wall is less then ideal, acoustically.

What sort of finish do you envision for the room?

You could make the theater a bit wider, and host the support post in a column, and put a symmetrical column on the opposite wall. Then you could have wall hug fabric panels, to hide
acoustical treatments, and even bring in some lighting design below the panels.
post #20 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is going to be a very unorthodox suggestion, but could the waste stack be brought over to the wall, and hidden in a 6 or 8" deep, framed wall?
The upper stack could be hidden in a soffit, and a wall hung toilet could be used to connect to the drain. And then the sink hides the sump pump by
basically straddling it.

And then that might free up enough room for a dedicated laundry room, north of the 1/2 bath room.
post #21 of 32 Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
What sort of finish do you envision for the room?
I was just going to keep the room very simple in terms of finish. The house is a mid-century house so trying to keep with the simple clean lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
This is going to be a very unorthodox suggestion, but could the waste stack be brought over to the wall, and hidden in a 6 or 8" deep, framed wall?
The upper stack could be hidden in a soffit, and a wall hung toilet could be used to connect to the drain. And then the sink hides the sump pump by
basically straddling it.

And then that might free up enough room for a dedicated laundry room, north of the 1/2 bath room.
While that is a very interesting idea, not sure we are going to have the budget to move the main stack. I am not doing the plumbing and to just to dig down right next to the stack to put the drain in the floor for the sink and toilet is going to be $3200.

Also not sure I can have a riser and a soffit in the theater as my ceiling height is only 7'4" before the resilient channel and double layer drywall. Plus just to be on the safe side with water/moisture I plan on installing dricore under the flooring. So I will lose approximately 3" of ceiling height from all of that.

Played around with the floorplan last night, still haven't found something I really like yet that also meets the WAF.

Last edited by tmn107; 06-24-2019 at 05:23 AM.
post #22 of 32 Old 06-24-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was more thinking $1200-ish for a wall mounted toilet and stack, as DIY job. You wouldn't really be moving the stack much, just hiding it, by moving it back slightly, where
it would show. A soffit could hide the upper slope, while a deeper back wall could hide the drop, and the return to the existing stack at the floor could be hidden in a vanity.
The vanity wouldn't actually be storage, just hiding the sump pump and stack.

You could fit in a 6" riser, if you aren't overly tall, and local code is like here, where you need a percentage of floor area to be a minimum of 7"
Or you could simply stick in a taller bar row... As for being sure a low riser can fit in slightly over 7' of height, there are lots of local basements sporting
such a layout. The trick is either a scope screen, or keeping the screen down to 110 or 120" size. Now of you are good with a single row of four, that can
be a very solid choice and could be a larger screen.
post #23 of 32 Old 06-25-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something along these lines, if you are prepared to glue up some plastic waste line, and do a little bit if custom work...???

A large piece of frame artwork could hide entrance to the furnace room, and maybe you need to think about the day when you need to put in a new furnace
access-wise. But you would have a wall to route the drain line to the waste stack. The vanity could hide the sump pump pit.

Or the artwork hatch could simply be a big sliding barn door instead, in the hallway. Or French doors.

The laundry room would still be open concept, but would that be that bad a thing, if it mimicked the kitchen?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V4.jpg
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	2584488   Click image for larger version

Name:	hidden entry.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2584494  
pkinneb likes this.
post #24 of 32 Old 06-25-2019, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn107 View Post
so that I could work on removing the old glued on linoleum tiles. They are a PITA to get up.

Not - asbestos containing tiles? I hope.
post #25 of 32 Old 06-25-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Tedd - i really like that last one, the bathroom seems more accessible.
post #26 of 32 Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

No this tile is not asbestos. Made some more progress on removing the flooring, hopefully finish this tomorrow evening.
@Tedd , I do like that last layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D44BA1F9-4711-4527-970D-50028916B21F_1561517955164.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	2584552  
post #27 of 32 Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there any support posts in the storage wall?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V5.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	2584856  
post #28 of 32 Old 06-26-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would it be possible to flip the storage for the office?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V6.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	2584900  

Last edited by Tedd; 06-26-2019 at 07:29 PM.
post #29 of 32 Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another thought is a nice luxurious expanded laundry room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V6b.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	2584944  
post #30 of 32 Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another thought.

Kind of throwing out ideas because they might simply just be a stepping stone to something else...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V6c.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	2584946  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page