Looking for paint recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Looking for paint recommendation

Just finished building a wall to close in my HT! Now looking for some paint suggestions. I want to do the ceiling in a dark color, probably black, but don't need it to be a black hole, just really flat to reduce reflections, as I have 12 foot ceilings and the top of the projector screen is about 4 feet down from the ceiling, so there's not a whole lot of light going up to the ceiling, but some. I was thinking about a flat ceiling paint tinted in black. Any other suggestions or thoughts? As for the side walls, I was thinking about a dark grey or dark brown paint with a low LRV but one that can be cleaned as I have small children. Any suggestions for the side walls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I have been told Flat paint is the best to go with, but egg wash paint may help with the little ones and not be to shinny. Wall color is a personal preference to me. Dark gray is popular, but I am going with a deep red, because I like the looks of commercial theater that are in deep reds or blues. I suggest go to where you want to buy your paint and pick out some color swatches you like or even sample paint to try on the walls. That's how we pick colors for our rooms in my house.

My ceiling height will be around 8'-7" finished so I am going as black as I can on the ceiling and the front screen wall. Popular color is Mickey Mouse Ear Black at Sherwin Williams.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #3 of 6 Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
m0j0, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I figured I could post my situation as I'm also looking for paint ideas. Perhaps we can figure this out together.

My dedicated home theater room measures 13'W x 16'D with a 9' ceiling. The room started with a builder's spec 5.1 setup, segmented with an open-cavity wall and french doors. I've since added a recessed equipment rack cubby, a half-height door to access the adjacent attic space, dedicated power and low voltage to support a wall-mounted TV, ceiling mounted projector and 5.2.4 Atmos speaker setup.

The front stage are Definitive Technology UIW RLS II in vertical orientation. Rear surrounds are UIW RSS II, height channels are DI 6.5R and subwoofers are dual SWS PB2000, placed in opposite corners of the room. Projector will be a Sony VPL-VW295ES thrown to a Screen Innovations 110" Zero Edge Pro using their Slate 1.2 AT micro-perf vinyl.

All the messy work is underway or mostly behind me. Drywall crew is here now to patch the holes from low voltage work and the drill-and-fill pressurized cellulose insulation to deaden the wall cavities.

Current-state pics of the theater room follow. Walls are in SW 6106 Kilim Beige, trim is SW 7005 Pure White and carpet is 44oz Mohawk Shoreline 738.

I'll add a pull-out 17 RU equipment rack and trim bezel to finish the components like this:

Now I need to select new paint colors and am looking for suggestions. I'm partial to this look, using SW 6257 Gibraltar in a matte finish.

Should the ceiling and screen wall go darker or should I use one color around the room? I prefer to keep the baseboard, doors and trim sections white (semi-gloss), all of which are low and away from the projector throw. At minimum, the ceiling could go with a complimentary darker shade, like these two:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SW_6992.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2585514   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW_6990.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	2585516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9233 (1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	2585518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9232 (1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2585520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9231 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2585522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9230 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	2585524   Click image for larger version

Name:	In-wallrack.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2585526   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW_6257.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2585530  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-29-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just painted my entire theater with Behr Ultra matte/flat Orion Gray. Not super dark, but dark enough IMO.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp117 View Post
m0j0, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I figured I could post my situation as I'm also looking for paint ideas. Perhaps we can figure this out together.

My dedicated home theater room measures 13'W x 16'D with a 9' ceiling. The room started with a builder's spec 5.1 setup, segmented with an open-cavity wall and french doors. I've since added a recessed equipment rack cubby, a half-height door to access the adjacent attic space, dedicated power and low voltage to support a wall-mounted TV, ceiling mounted projector and 5.2.4 Atmos speaker setup.

The front stage are Definitive Technology UIW RLS II in vertical orientation. Rear surrounds are UIW RSS II, height channels are DI 6.5R and subwoofers are dual SWS PB2000, placed in opposite corners of the room. Projector will be a Sony VPL-VW295ES thrown to a Screen Innovations 110" Zero Edge Pro using their Slate 1.2 AT micro-perf vinyl.

All the messy work is underway or mostly behind me. Drywall crew is here now to patch the holes from low voltage work and the drill-and-fill pressurized cellulose insulation to deaden the wall cavities.

Current-state pics of the theater room follow. Walls are in SW 6106 Kilim Beige, trim is SW 7005 Pure White and carpet is 44oz Mohawk Shoreline 738.

I'll add a pull-out 17 RU equipment rack and trim bezel to finish the components like this:

Now I need to select new paint colors and am looking for suggestions. I'm partial to this look, using SW 6257 Gibraltar in a matte finish.

Should the ceiling and screen wall go darker or should I use one color around the room? I prefer to keep the baseboard, doors and trim sections white (semi-gloss), all of which are low and away from the projector throw. At minimum, the ceiling could go with a complimentary darker shade, like these two:

I'm not going to do any semigloss in the room. For my baseboard and other trims I think i'll do eggshell. Something that can still wipe clean easily, but is still lower gloss. I learned my lesson from my last media room.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The trouble I have with this picture is the ceiling looks better in white to balance the dark walls while complimenting the white trim.

Edit: After searching through a few threads here I think I've figured it out.

Screen Wall: SW 6258 Tricorn Black
Ceiling: SW 7674 Peppercorn
Perimeter Walls: SW 6251 Outerspace
Alternatives for perimeter: SW 9141 Waterloo, SW 6257 Gibraltar

Last edited by Imp117; 06-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page