My first DIY Basement/Theater Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By djantonio
  • 2 Post By Mocs123
  • 1 Post By PreciseD
  • 1 Post By djantonio

post #1 of 16 Old 07-01-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My first DIY Basement/Theater Build

Okay everyone, I’ve been following the forums here about a year and I’m finally starting my build. I’ve been working one day a week for the past several months on finishing my basement (bathroom rough in plumbing, framing, electrical complete).

I have a dedicated theater space in the basement that is roughly 19.5 x 12.5. I have 8ft ceilings and two flanking soffits in the ceilings to hide some HVAC that are about 13” wide and 11” tall.

Ive built a riser out of 2x10 pressure treated lumber that is 81” deep, so just under 7ft based on some of the suggestions that I read the forums. The finished height of the riser will be about 12” after plywood and carpet.

I found a killer deal on power recliner theater seats that must have fallen off a truck because they are “front row” brand and I bought 9 chairs for $900 in a very shady warehouse in downtown Baltimore. They are a dark brown too grain leather.

I plan on doing two rows of 4, which will leave about a 26” wide step on one side of my theater (is this wide enough?)

I’m on a budget so I’m trying to find the highest quality used equipment that I can find. So far I have a Denon AVR-X6400H,
B&K 200.7 THX power amp, dual Klipsch r-115sw with wireless kits and a Monster Power Signature HTS 5100 power conditioner. I’ve been amassing this equipment as I find it over the past year or so on Facebook Marketplace.

I am planning to go DIYSG behind the screen for my LCR and probably will go with Episode In Wall surround and height for a 11.2 Atmos setup.

I have questions about screen size and projector selection and distance. I’d like to go 130” on screen but not sure if that will overwhelm the room. And I’d like to find an affordable 4K projector like an Epson 4050 or 5050. Also considering a BenQ HT5550 as I have the hookup on a discount on one.

I am going to attach a few photos of the start of the build and welcome any suggestions or feedback as I move along in the process.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003F73B-4CE6-4ABC-9DFA-052DE3A8D07E_1562030412624.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	2586606   Click image for larger version

Name:	404BA9AB-738C-4108-A195-89B4737F3E75_1562030441323.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2586608   Click image for larger version

Name:	68E8068A-F2CF-4BA1-8B13-66676CB7B162_1562030462423.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2586610   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A443762-1AE3-47D3-AB0F-7F7385CE8E36_1562030476189.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2586612  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Looks like you did a little homework. Good job.

Next... stop building! It will save you re-work in the future.. 'future-djantonio' will appreciate it.

Just some questions I came up with in 2 minutes of looking at your photos and reading up...

Where is the drawing? layout, spacing... etc.. let's get that posted...
Why is the riser already built? should built that AFTER the drywall is installed. why is there not roofing felt under it?
AT screen? ~130"got it.
How much power are you planning for?
HVAC supply and return? already installed?
What's above the space? kitchen? living room? bedroom?
wheres the gear going? in a credenza?, in a 19" rack?
what is your sound control stategy? double drywall GG? Clips and channel?
Is there going to be a stage?
Are you installing some electrical in the riser?
"I plan on doing two rows of 4, which will leave about a 26” wide step on one side of my theater (is this wide enough?)"

Seems a little narrow for 4 seats wide.. IMHO... but.. you can prolly make it work.. whats the layout say?
What's the space with the horizontal pvc pipe in it? going to be a door into the room?

DIYSG... good choice!!
Ditch the R-115Sw's and go with Dayton UM 15-22's or 18-22 from parts express. I have R-112SW and they are completely distorted/noisey below 30hz.

Deals are good to find.. just make sure they work within your layout..
Looking forward to watching this come together.. looks like you could have a nice build there!
Good luck.

HT1.0 | HT2.02
JVC RS-2000 / Xbox One X / nVidia Shield / DIY treatments
Seymour AV Center Stage 130" 2.35 / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD
iNuke NU6000DSP / iNukeNU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 2x UM18-22 / 12x JBL 12"
11.2(16).6 Atmos/Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #3 of 16 Old 07-01-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 708
If you are on a budget, id sell the B&K amp, the Denon should be able to handle things fine, especially if you go with high sensitivity DIYSG speakers in that size room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5629 Post(s)
Liked: 5200
If you intend to build your walls with sound isolation methods you build risers, stages and screen walls after you compete the drywall shell, I see the riser is already framed. Even if you are just going to put up a single layer of drywall if you do that first you have an all purpose room. If later you or the next owner decide you don't want a theater you can remove the riser and have a finished room, Cutting and fitting drywall around obstacles is just a PIA. Nice whole walls makes the job go quicker. As mentioned if you put roofing felt under the riser you could use regular wood not the Pressure Treated I see.

I have a hunch what you are planning with that screen wall and if concerns me, It creates all kinds of issues to leave large unfinished openings (covered by an AT screen) in an otherwise finished room. Sound Isolation, Fire code draft stopping, Insulation requirements, Vapor barrier, future resale value and potential negative home buyers inspectors comments. You can build around that drain pipe and create room for speakers behind a screen wall. Just don't leave it unfinished. Also another thought, drain pipes have to be downward sloping but they do not have to be mounted that low, you might be able to raise the whole thing up and have a nicer space.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-02-2019 at 05:12 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I've attached my CAD plans for the basement as well as the theater. I probably should have uploaded those originally with my photos.

It looks like the main concern is the riser being built already. Unfortunately where I live the building inspector required me to build it before drywall because I am running power to the front of the riser for a stair tred light as well as two outlets for the powered recliners. They wanted to see and inspect everything before close in.

The theater room is located directly below a formal dining room that is never used. I do want to deaden the sound to the first floor of my home, but my goal is not complete sound isolation.

I plan on doing two layers of drywall with green glue as well as a fully insulated ceiling (entire basement) and walls.

The HVAC is the next step in my basement check list and should be completed before the end of July. There will be either a vent and air return in the theater or a dedicated mini split unit as I'm still on the fence on which route to take for the basement.

As for power, everything will be new 20amp circuits for the basement, with a dedicated 20amp circuit for my equipment closet as well as a dedicated 20amp circuit for projector. The outlets and lighting will be on their own circuits and the chairs will be on a separate circuit.

The area with the pvc pipe will be my equipment closet. It is about 26" wide and I'll have a AV rack with fans to store the equipment. I'll probably build some DVD storage in there as well. And of course my wife will fill some of that closet up with random kid and household crap.

The screen will be AT, I have about 14" behind that wall (where the PVC is running on the connecting wall). I plan on finishing out that space with solid 3/4" plywood, and probably some type of acoustic foam or material. It will basically resemble a built in cabinet. There will be a shelf located about 26" off the floor to hold whichever speakers I decide to build for LCR. The subs will be sitting underneath on a finished carpet floor, and they each have dedicated outlets hidden on the side of the built in cabinet.

No stage in this setup.

I know the seats will be pretty tight with only a 26" wide step going up to the second level, but I'm really hoping to squeeze 8 chairs in there because of seating for my family.

I will update with more photos once I have the rough cabinet built behind the screen.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basementplan7219.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2586712   Click image for larger version

Name:	basementtheater7219.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2586714  
sirjaymz likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 880
The 26" is a decent enough aisle space, but the bad news is you have only three seats with very good audio potential. And there's a bunch of seats on room boundaries,
and right on top of surround speakers. And even a pair buried in corners.

Not sure if you could switch directions at this stage, or even want to, but if the back room is simply a home office, I would have taken a bit more room length
and use a stage to hide a toilet relocation, without breaking the floor.

The real cost is the shrinking of the room behind the theater, and the amount of riser to build.

I myself like this media storage, but I'd do stained hardwood. It might be of interest to you for that back closet. It could be something substantial, fully custom
fitted to the space, and not expensive to accomplish.

A single intake and a single vent, might not be up to the heat load, either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	djantinio.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	823.1 KB
ID:	2587798  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I’m getting ready to start prewiring for speakers in this room. What is everyone’s thoughts on going 12ga vs 14ga for speakers? Seems like there is a bit of a price difference and I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra money to go with 12ga?
post #8 of 16 Old 07-19-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by djantonio View Post
I’m getting ready to start prewiring for speakers in this room. What is everyone’s thoughts on going 12ga vs 14ga for speakers? Seems like there is a bit of a price difference and I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra money to go with 12ga?
The price difference is not significant in relation to the total cost of the project. 12ga can make a difference, so go with it. You can upgrade your receiver but you can't upgrade your wiring, so play safe.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantonio View Post
It looks like the main concern is the riser being built already. Unfortunately where I live the building inspector required me to build it before drywall because I am running power to the front of the riser for a stair tred light as well as two outlets for the powered recliners. They wanted to see and inspect everything before close in.

So after the inspector leaves you take it apart, drywall the room. reassemble the riser. easy.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-19-2019, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Have you looked into the Epson 5040UB? They are selling refurbished units with full warranty for $1151.. I don't think you can beat that and when newer tech comes out it won't hurt as bad to replace it in a few years.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
Have you looked into the Epson 5040UB? They are selling refurbished units with full warranty for $1151.. I don't think you can beat that and when newer tech comes out it won't hurt as bad to replace it in a few years.

That seems crazy cheap to me! Maybe I've just been away from the projector market for a while. PreciseD, any chance you can PM me with the seller (if it isn't allowed in the thread).
post #12 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 74
It's on the Epson site. They seem to always stay out of stock though, they do have them every now and then, but they sell out quickly.
PreciseD and OJ Bartley like this.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #13 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
That seems crazy cheap to me! Maybe I've just been away from the projector market for a while. PreciseD, any chance you can PM me with the seller (if it isn't allowed in the thread).
I got mine direct from Epson. Google epson free shipping coupon and you should find a free 2 day FedEx shipping code. I did that as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
If you intend to build your walls with sound isolation methods you build risers, stages and screen walls after you compete the drywall shell, I see the riser is already framed. Even if you are just going to put up a single layer of drywall if you do that first you have an all purpose room. If later you or the next owner decide you don't want a theater you can remove the riser and have a finished room, Cutting and fitting drywall around obstacles is just a PIA. Nice whole walls makes the job go quicker. As mentioned if you put roofing felt under the riser you could use regular wood not the Pressure Treated I see.

I have a hunch what you are planning with that screen wall and if concerns me, It creates all kinds of issues to leave large unfinished openings (covered by an AT screen) in an otherwise finished room. Sound Isolation, Fire code draft stopping, Insulation requirements, Vapor barrier, future resale value and potential negative home buyers inspectors comments. You can build around that drain pipe and create room for speakers behind a screen wall. Just don't leave it unfinished. Also another thought, drain pipes have to be downward sloping but they do not have to be mounted that low, you might be able to raise the whole thing up and have a nicer space.

I’ve attached a picture of the rough framing for the space behind the screen. I’ll be adding 3/4 closed cell foam board insulation between the framing and once it is finished I will line the entire surface with acoustic foam. Do you think that will be sufficient?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5C577221-A99D-44F9-A52D-47CF32A1DF6F_1563924149766.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2593784  
post #15 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 07:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

does 3/4 inch closed cell foam board satisfy your local building codes for the required insulation for basement finishing? Does it need to be covered with anything like drywall. Is that pressure treated wood that looks like it is anchored to the foundation wall? And why is it so wide?
post #16 of 16 Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
does 3/4 inch closed cell foam board satisfy your local building codes for the required insulation for basement finishing? Does it need to be covered with anything like drywall. Is that pressure treated wood that looks like it is anchored to the foundation wall? And why is it so wide?
Yes the 3/4” will meet code requirement and I do plan to cover in 5/8” drywall times two layers for fire/sound proofing. It is pressure treated, and it’s about 7.5 feet wide to accommodate LCR speakers behind the screen.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page