Owens Corning 705 install question / option - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Owens Corning 705 install question / option

I haven't seen anyone consider this.

my plan in my new home, theater 2.0 is to do go with 2 x 5/8 Sheetrock again. This round Im going with some green glue as well.

But I had an idea, why not also cover all walls with Owns Corning 705 between the 2 pieces of Sheetrock? Is that a bad idea? My new space is not that large and I realize I may have to spend $1000+ to cover it all if this is an option. If not, then I would have to mount on the outside and deal with putting GOM (or whatever fabric works today) on it.

Something like:

5/8 sheet rock____________
Paint____________________

Is this not a good idea?

I want to get serious about sound in the theater 2.0. Even with a double wall and double 5/8 sheet rockin in theater 1.0 I have suffered 12 years of loud noise even up into my 3rd floor (new house will be 1 story).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 04:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5842 Post(s)
Liked: 5411
Not feeling any love for your idea, how do you plan on hanging the rock? One problem with your concept is that however you fasten the second layer the mechanical fasteners will transmit vibration to the underlying structure. You should be using some isolation system like clips and channel. If you currently have problems on the third floor you did something wrong building your current theater. If you want to get really aggressive you could do three layers of rock with GG hung on a clip and channel system. Backer boxes and putty pads for everything, Independent HVAC, sub-floor floated on thick rubber pads, All outlets/switches and as many lights as possible mounted inside the drywall bunker. Subwoofer box vibration isolated from the structure. Double communicating door setup with air tight acoustically designed perimeter seals.
tjambro likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-10-2019 at 04:41 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, Green Glue is for constrained layer damping.

Using GG between drywall and OC750 will not be very effective.

/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 02:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Also, Green Glue is for constrained layer damping.

Using GG between drywall and OC750 will not be very effective.

/Ford

good catch it needs to be between too stiff layers, OC703 or 705 is not.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-11-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 08:32 PM
sor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Owens Corning 705 install question / option

I’ll totally admit that this is guesswork, but I think OC is better suited for surface/open air application. The frequencies it’s going to help the most with will reflect off the outer layer of drywall, in my opinion. You’ll still need to surface treat the walls.

That said I’ve heard people doing something similar to what you say in order to soundproof between living units, but with a rubber middle layer, not OC. Drywall, then channel with rubber mats in between, then mount drywall to the channel over the rubber.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Ok, thanks for the advice on the OC705. I'll consider mounting on the finished sheet rock, but probably at that point just do what I did in my current theater and cover the front wall and reflection angles or probably just use the ~12 2 inch panels that I have been using for 10+ years that I got from ATS Acoustic for my current theater.

I've scanned the master soundproofing thread again (first time since I built my current theater). We sat with our builder yesterday and just decided to throw $5000 into the "insulation" budget which we will use for that room on multiple different items. I'll work with the framers (probably on a double wall) and get a clip and channel system in (we had talked about this).

What would people suggest for insulation in between the studs of the rooms now. I see there is foam based acoustic insulation, that any good. Would you suggest I also ask them to double the spray insulation in the attic space above the theater to help?

The good news right now is that I just got the specs on the small room at 12" x 15" and spec'ed up a Atmos 7.1.4 setup (mostly my current equipment with new Paradigm ceiling speakers) and it came out looking nice. I also have a closet where I plan on placing a nice built in rack in the rear of the space.

Dont know what went wrong in my current theater. The bass travels (and is more so felt) through the house even through double wall, double sheet rock, double insulation and sound channel (specifically in the locations right above the subs, and they are only 12" Outlaw 650 watts)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 12:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
Dont know what went wrong in my current theater. The bass travels (and is more so felt) through the house even through double wall, double sheet rock, double insulation and sound channel (specifically in the locations right above the subs, and they are only 12" Outlaw 650 watts)
I can tell you exactly what you did wrong.

You mounted a double layer Sheetrock wall directly on the studs of the inner double wall framing which I imagine was firmly attached to the ceiling joists at the top plate and to the floor. So you created very stiff walls and all that wall surface acted as massive gathering antenna collecting the sound energy in the room and transmitting it to the ceiling joists above and on to the rest of the house. If you do a double framed wall the top plate should not touch the ceiling joists and should be held in place with IB3 clips. Build the walls one inch short. All Four walls will need to be built this way not just interior walls. Rubber pads under the bottom plate will also help with isolation. Of course you should use Green Glue between layers and stuff the walls with the cheapest Fiberglass insulation you can find, don't over spend on insulation that markets itself as a soundproofing tool, Low frequencies are unaffected by even the most expensive insulation products. I have no clue what spray insulation product you are looking at and you need to proceed with caution as many spray foams will defeat your double frame isolation design.

I'm not sure what you mean by sound channel just in locations above the subs, What type of channel (hopefully not resilient channel)? also the entire ceiling would need it not just certain locations.

We need to talk about other things you might have done wrong on your last theater, like shared ductwork, holes in the wall, door system etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page