• 1 Post By Mocs123
  • 4 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Theater component help

So I've met with a home theater installation company and have started getting a few quotes for wiring and electronics. Everything besides the wiring and electronics is going to be covered by my builder. They will be working together.

I dont know the first thing about projectors, screens, speakers subs etc and was hoping yall could take a look at the components they're quoting me on and advise whether they're decent or what you would go with instead. My budget is 25k max. Attached are a few photos of the progress. We've hired a designer to give us some ideas on the look of the theater/bar. As you will see it's not a traditional theater due to the attached bar and all that. I'm not worried about acoustics so much...I'm wanting it to be multi use for watching sports and throwing parties. Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome.

Dimensions are 26x16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190711-142151_Excel_1562870244922.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	2589774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190711-142419_Word_1562870252823.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	2589776   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_1562870371352.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	755.7 KB
ID:	2589778   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_1562870391922.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	765.5 KB
ID:	2589780   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_1562870408125.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	709.7 KB
ID:	2589782  

Name:	4_1562870419254.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	918.6 KB
ID:	2589784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190711-144226_Adobe Acrobat_1562870557425.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	2589786  

Last edited by Mike Lang; 07-14-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 183
First, re-typing your original post so each "s" isn't replaced by 6 other characters would be helpful for reading. Not sure what went wrong there.

Second, I wouldn't pay $5k for a screen. That's 1/4 of your entire budget. I would probably go with a cheaper screen and spend the extra cash on more/bigger subs. The space looks rather large and a single 12" woofer might not be good enough for you. A specific model of projector and screen would be helpful.

I'm more on the the DIY audio side so I can't recommend a better option for speakers. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

The space looks nice though.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I’ll second not to spend 5K for a screen - you should be able to get a nice screen for under $1k. I might recommend going to a bigger screen or a 2.35:1 ratio if you watch movies more than TV.

I also wouldn’t spend 2500 on the Anthem receiver. I have an older Anthem upstairs and had a Anthem Pre-Pro in my first theater-they make nice stuff, but the current Anthem line is starting to get long in the tooth and since you replace a receiver every few years anyway due to advancing technology, I would go with something cheaper. You can get the Denon 4400H for less than $700.

I would have a bigger better sub for that space. The two most important speakers in your system are the center and sub. One 12” sub probably won’t be enough. I’d go with one of the internet direct companies for your sub (maybe an 18” PSA??).

I’m not sure if you would be interested in doing a false screen wall but if you do it will let you use floor-standing or bookshelf speakers rather than in-walls for your front three speakers. In-walls are a compromise that must be made sometimes but they (in my opinion) don’t perform nearly as well as self contained speakers. Plus in-walls are very expensive for what you get.

Nothing wrong with that Sony projector (guessing its the 295) but I’d look at JVC too.
Jedi940 likes this.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
I'm working with Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustical Interiors.

I'm generalizing Shawn's comments:

Shawn's advice is to focus your budget on speakers, screen and sub....the speakers and subs play the most important role in sound (assuming you are using properly placed acoustical treatments). The screen will be something you have for a longer time vs other components. Receivers and projectors change their features and improvements are on-going. I like Anthem and their ARC calibration, but I wouldn't spend that much of my budget on the receiver (putting more money into the speakers and sub). This may sound counter to my statement, but $5 of your budget into a screen seems high, I think you can do better using the Stewart Cima line of screens.

Edit: I think I'm reading in your post that you are not budgeting for any acoustical treatments? If so, I'd rethink that....tuning your room offers the biggest bang for your buck. You can have great speakers, sub and receiver...but you won't get the most of them without treating your room.

Last edited by rboster; 07-12-2019 at 08:08 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
My biggest pet peeve is when these companies send out an estimate with most model numbers missing. If I ever receive that I tell them "Thanks, but no thanks. Let me know when you have any sort of respect for your customers."

An ex signed up for one of these things when she had a new house built. She showed me all the great stuff she had paid for, but there were no model numbers listed, so they sold her on all these upgrades to "higher quality" stuff, but every single item was the bottom of the line. She had paid $2000 for a 100" Dragonfly screen that probably cost the dealer $50, and was probably worth $20. They charged her $5000 for a "High Definition Projector" and tried to put in a 720p Canon before I stopped them. Then they tried to install outdoor speakers.

If they can't give you an exact model number on the estimate, they're going to bait and switch and clean out the trash product out of their warehouse, likely stuff other clients rejected or returned.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #6 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
First, re-typing your original post so each "s" isn't replaced by 6 other characters would be helpful for reading. Not sure what went wrong there.

Second, I wouldn't pay $5k for a screen. That's 1/4 of your entire budget. I would probably go with a cheaper screen and spend the extra cash on more/bigger subs. The space looks rather large and a single 12" woofer might not be good enough for you. A specific model of projector and screen would be helpful.

I'm more on the the DIY audio side so I can't recommend a better option for speakers. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

The space looks nice though.
Sorry about the extra post characters...not sure why its doing that. It looks normal on my end.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the screen and projector...I plan on adjusting that to free up some money. A second sub would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I’ll second not to spend 5K for a screen - you should be able to get a nice screen for under $1k. I might recommend going to a bigger screen or a 2.35:1 ratio if you watch movies more than TV.

I also wouldn’t spend 2500 on the Anthem receiver. I have an older Anthem upstairs and had a Anthem Pre-Pro in my first theater-they make nice stuff, but the current Anthem line is starting to get long in the tooth and since you replace a receiver every few years anyway due to advancing technology, I would go with something cheaper. You can get the Denon 4400H for less than $700.

I would have a bigger better sub for that space. The two most important speakers in your system are the center and sub. One 12” sub probably won’t be enough. I’d go with one of the internet direct companies for your sub (maybe an 18” PSA??).

I’m not sure if you would be interested in doing a false screen wall but if you do it will let you use floor-standing or bookshelf speakers rather than in-walls for your front three speakers. In-walls are a compromise that must be made sometimes but they (in my opinion) don’t perform nearly as well as self contained speakers. Plus in-walls are very expensive for what you get.

Nothing wrong with that Sony projector (guessing its the 295) but I’d look at JVC too.
Good call on the receiver, that makes sense. My original plan was to have a space behind the screen but it never got translated to the plans. I'm def gunna check on that before it's too late. I'll be doing 2 subs now since you're the second person that's mentioned that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I'm working with Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustical Interiors.

I'm generalizing Shawn's comments:

Shawn's advice is to focus your budget on speakers, screen and sub....the speakers and subs play the most important role in sound (assuming you are using properly placed acoustical treatment&#115[IMG]file:///C:\Users\mlang\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]. The screen will be something you have for a longer time vs other components. Receivers and projectors change their features and improvements are on-going. I like Anthem and their ARC calibration, but I wouldn't spend that much of my budget on the receiver (putting more money into the speakers and sub). This may sound counter to my statement, but $5 of your budget into a screen seems high, I think you can do better using the Stewart Cima line of screens.

Edit: I think I'm reading in your post that you are not budgeting for any acoustical treatments? If so, I'd rethink that....tuning your room offers the biggest bang for your buck. You can have great speakers, sub and receiver...but you won't get the most of them without treating your room.
I'll look into those screens thanks. Makes sense what you're saying about the acoustic treatments. Even though my room isn't dimensionally perfect, I can still do what I can to make it sound better. By acoustic treatments you mean special insulation and that green glue stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
My biggest pet peeve is when these companies send out an estimate with most model numbers missing. If I ever receive that I tell them "Thanks, but no thanks. Let me know when you have any sort of respect for your customers."

An ex signed up for one of these things when she had a new house built. She showed me all the great stuff she had paid for, but there were no model numbers listed, so they sold her on all these upgrades to "higher quality" stuff, but every single item was the bottom of the line. She had paid $2000 for a 100" Dragonfly screen that probably cost the dealer $50, and was probably worth $20. They charged her $5000 for a "High Definition Projector" and tried to put in a 720p Canon before I stopped them. Then they tried to install outdoor speakers.

If they can't give you an exact model number on the estimate, they're going to bait and switch and clean out the trash product out of their warehouse, likely stuff other clients rejected or returned.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll make sure I'm not getting last years discarded garbage. 😂

Last edited by Mike Lang; 07-14-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsky View Post

I'll look into those screens thanks. Makes sense what you're saying about the acoustic treatments. Even though my room isn't dimensionally perfect, I can still do what I can to make it sound better. By acoustic treatments you mean special insulation and that green glue;
I'm not aware of any room that is acoustically perfect without acoustically treating the room. Meaning every room will benefit from acoustic treatments. There are a lot of subtopics like sound isolation etc. I'm talking basic acoustics...bass traps in corners, points of first reflection etc. here is some info to get you started

https://www.gikacoustics.com/choosin...coustics-mind/

https://www.gikacoustics.com/lecture...cs-room-setup/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...e-theater.html
post #8 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Is there a point for that large separation between the front and second row?
post #9 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5133
The list of equipment appears to be MSRP. You can do MUCH better. A 6 inch riser is pretty small they will have to hang your screen fireplace high.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Is there a point for that large separation between the front and second row?
No. Not sure if that's actual or just how the designer decided to space them based on what he thought looked good. I will make sure it's the correct length. Thanks for pointing that out.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
The list of equipment appears to be MSRP. You can do MUCH better. A 6 inch riser is pretty small they will have to hang your screen fireplace high.
If you had my budget of 25k, what would you go for component wise?
post #12 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 02:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm in a snarky mood but since you asked, The first few thousand would go on a decent Home Theater plan, yours isn't. Yours looks like it was done by an architect that has no training in theater basics. Nice renders of a pretty but dysfunctional room. It will not perform well with today's Atmos surround sound format. A room of this caliber would not have a front wall mounted screen for one and it lacks a wall where the side surround should be positioned. There is no evidence in the plan of integrating the speakers with the layout or accommodating cleverly hid acoustical treatments. A single subwoofer is not enough for this size room. If the guys you talked to didn't mention these things they just want to take your money irregardless how it performs and you should walk away. Sony projectors have a high dealer margin.

You didn't discuss if you want to incorporate in any kind of sound isolation when building this room.

As for gear JVC projector, SeymourAV AT screen, Triad speakers for the base layer, RSL ceiling speakers for Amos, SVS or HSU subwoofers (2+), Denon or Marantz processor and Emotiva amps.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-14-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm in a snarky mood but since you asked, The first few thousand would go on a decent Home Theater plan, yours isn't. Yours looks like it was done by an architect that has no training in theater basics. Nice renders of a pretty but dysfunctional room. It will not perform well with today's Atmos surround sound format. A room of this caliber would not have a front wall mounted screen for one and it lacks a wall where the side surround should be positioned. There is no evidence in the plan of integrating the speakers with the layout or accommodating cleverly hid acoustical treatments. A single subwoofer is not enough for this size room. If the guys you talked to didn't mention these things they just want to take your money irregardless how it performs and you should walk away. Sony projectors have a high dealer margin.

You didn't discuss if you want to incorporate in any kind of sound isolation when building this room.

As for gear JVC projector, SeymourAV AT screen, Triad speakers for the base layer, RSL ceiling speakers for Amos, SVS or HSU subwoofers (2+), Denon or Marantz processor and Emotiva amps.
Thanks for the honesty. It was designed by an architect but with me and my wife's input. As I stated before, I'm fully aware that it's not a traditional theater room and yes, even dysfunctional. I dont need it to blow my socks off, I just want it to sound decent. I will likely be watching sports 40%, movies 40%, and TV 20%.

Curious as to why it would not have a front wall mounted screen?

Also, the quotes and design renderings are all preliminary. The design renderings have not been discussed with the home theater company that quoted me yet. The renderings at this stage are to give us ideas on how we want it to look. It's not final.

I do plan on incorporating sound isolation since yall have recommended it. Thanks for the brand recommendations.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The screen would be mounted on an acoustically transparent screen wall erected in front of the drywall front wall. The screen is still in front just not mounted directly on the wall. Then you can use in room speakers and hide them and your subwoofers behind the screen wall. The other reason is one of the most important surfaces to treat with absorption is the front wall, Easy to do if you can hide it out of sight behind a false wall.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

just so you know this is what we see in your posts. It is known problem with certain devices that are not currently compatible with the forum

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003[1].JPG
Views:	23
Size:	5.47 MB
ID:	2590800  
post #16 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Listen to Big. You are either going to want to close that room off, shorten it, and properly handle it as a theater. Right now you're going the "Media Room" route, which can be fine if that fills your goals for use, but if you're going to budget $25k for a "Home Theater", then go that dedicated route. $5k for a screen with a $25k budget is a tad high, as very good quality AT screens can be had for way under $5k MSRP, but demand model numbers on all products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page