the yet unnamed Alaskan theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By boomshine
  • 1 Post By boomshine
  • 1 Post By boomshine
  • 1 Post By sirjaymz
  • 1 Post By brazensol
  • 3 Post By boomshine
  • 1 Post By Mocs123
  • 1 Post By arcticbowman

post #1 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
the yet unnamed Alaskan theater

Until I am able to come up with one that really stands out this build will have no name.

Please feel free to comment on any part of the build if you have any ideas or suggestions, this is my first build and I would appreciate any input. this thread has been a long time coming but between my work and being a new homeowner and all that comes with that i have been hard pressed to find time.

Like many on here I have been using this forum for quite some time to answer my many questions regarding what it takes to build a home theater. I would like to thank the many people on this forum from whom i have stolen/borrowed countless ideas to use in my own build. What I did not expect is that the deeper I dove in the more questions I ultimately had. However this forum has not disappointed, I have been able to find answers to questions I didn't even know I had.

I would like to extend a big thank you to a couple members who have given so much to not only my build but the entire avs community.

@MississippiMan -countless hours helping with ideas on the phone and over email not to mention the endless topics in both the diy screens forum and the dedicated HT build forum as well I cannot thank you enough

@BIGmouthinDC -I may not have had much direct interaction with you but I can't even put a guess on how many of your posts I have carefully read to answer questions I have had during my build. Numerous google and forum searches have brought up your posts.

@ccssid123 offered me some advice when i was looking at going the DIY route for my speakers and I am very glad I did

@Jams e92TSi the way you hid your attic entry is awesome and I plan to use a similar method

@Erich H - thanks for the speaker kits these things sound amazing and the satisfaction from knowing i built my own is unexplainable.

@trhought the VBSS looks amazing and I have all the parts to make my own except the amp. I am super excited for this part of the build to come.

So many others have helped along the way as well

My equipment so far is as follows:
Projector- JVC x790r
Blu-ray- Oppo 203
Receiver- Denon x6400h
LCR- DIYSG HTM-12
4 Surrounds- DIYSG VOLT 6s
4 Atmos- RSL C34E
2x 10" monoprice monolith subs
Nvidia Shield
Roku
Xbox One X
Daikin mini split for heat and A/C
Ac infinity inline fan to bring in fresh air with inline Phresh filter for smells
Brilliant 4 gang light switch to control light zones
seatcraft pantheon seats for second row and sofa with chaise for second row

Last September I set out to find a home here in Alaska that would suit my needs (make the girlfriend happy) and desires (room to build a dedicated HT). what we found was a well laid out single story home with what started as a 2 car garage and a carport. Half of the garage was converted into what I believe was a laundry/workout room with french door replacing the garage door, making a good start to the HT. The rest of the house is unimportant to me but the girlfriend loves it so it is a win win. I get the garage, carport and the room that will be the HT and she gets the 3 bedrooms and living room, perfect.

Current setup in living room
BIGmouthinDC likes this.

Last edited by boomshine; 07-12-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

The room being used, pictured below, is 23’6” long and 12’ wide with about a 9 foot ceiling. I say about because I found out later on the room floor and ceiling are both very un level, almost 2 inches off from side to side in the room.

post #3 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

When I started this project I was unsure where to start. Initially I planned to keep the door to the front of the house and use it as an access behind what would later be a screen wall however once i was a little more settled in I realized that the door would at the very least need to be replaced as it was quite old and honestly it was poorly installed. Another part of the room I noticed as I looked closer was that the window had cracks in the drywall up both sides to the ceiling. The drywall on the ceiling had been done so poorly and quickly to move along the sale of the house that I didn't realize that you could clearly see the tape and they had barely sprayed what must have been the last little bit of a can of orange peel before painting to cover it. I decided that rather than try to fix what was there it would be easier to start fresh and strip it down to studs. I am very glad I did because i found that the wall between the house and theater room had ZERO insulation and was only half inch drywall. The wall separating the room from the garage had some insulation but huge sections were missing. I even found a partial bay on an exterior wall that had almost no insulation and the insulation i did find was only R-9.

When i took down the paneling around the exterior door I found this beautiful sheetrock job which made me even more sure i needed to start at studs. This is also when I decided that I would remove the door and window all together to help seal the room

This one is from before I put on the stain to match the outside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

The next step was having my dad whom is an electrician come over and completely rewire the room to have its own dedicated circuits. Up until this point the entire garage and HT room had been on ONE circuit, both the lights and all the plugins. After that I started in on the insulation. I removed all of the R-9 and I used rockwool for the wall facing the rest of the house and pink R-15 for the exterior walls then a combination of both for the wall facing the garage (i had some left over rockwool so i used it rather than toss it).

post #5 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

If I could go back, this is the first place I would. I absolutely HATE sheetrock and given the chance I would go back and have a professional do this part. That being said when it was all said and done I actually did a fair job considering it was the first time really doing more than a patch here and there. Now since the neighbors on either side of us aren't really that close to the room and only 1 wall is shared with the main house we opted not to do hat channel, clips and double drywall with GG. the girlfriend has stated the the rockwool alone made a huge difference and said that even when I am using power tools and listening to loud music she can barely hear a thing in the bedrooms. I opted to use 12 footers to keep seams to a minimum but not sure I would do it again.

post #6 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Another lesson I learned is that even if you think you will need 2 layers of kilz primer ...wait for the first layer to dry or you will get cracks.

Since the room will be sealed and 100% light controlled i opted not to go with absolute black and went dark grey instead

Arguably the best purchase I made last year for black friday was the 25$ laser level i got from home depot it made running lines for the soffit and chair rail a breeze. You can see in the pic below how uneven the ceiling is. It will be hidden by the soffit which will hang perfectly level and also cover the weird brace in the corner of the ceiling.

post #7 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Since I hated doing the sheetrock so much, I decided that was a no go for the soffit. I opted for fabric covered quarter inch panels I used a thick and inexpensive felt which I am still unsure if it was a good choice. Since it is only used on the underside i think it will be fine and wont pick up any dust. We will see. I am hopeful the the side faces of the soffit can be filled with rockwool and covered with a fabricmate wall style cover made of spandex to work somewhat as a bass trap. This part i am unsure on but I think it will look good and I am hopeful it will be effective. I will be leaving it uncovered until the end of the project so i can run wires and make any needed adjustments. I decided to go with some lights that were recommended on another post by @BIGmouthinDC . I am using a brilliant controls 4 gang light switch to control all 4 zones.

post #8 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Over and over in build after build the obstacle i see drawing the most concern is the HVAC situation. How will you keep comfortable during a 10 hour binge watching Game of Thrones. Honestly had it not been for the information gathered on this forum I would have never thought it necessary. My approach is a bit odd but i believe it will be effective and it sort of multi tasks. If i am crazy it could easily be reconfigured many other ways to be more effective. During the deconstruction of the room i tore out the only heat source which was an electric baseboard heater and after talking to some friends and doing some research I decided to go with a mini split unit mounted at the back of the room to bow conditioned air forward over the seats. This however only solved one issue, I still needed to address the fresh air factor to get more oxygen into the room. Stepping out of the HT into the main house you are facing directly to a small closet which i will be using for my electronics to power the room which i have outfitted with 2 dedicated 20A circuits (one is shared with the plugins inside the HT mostly for vacuuming). I expect this closet to heat up quite a bit as denon is known to run hot and it will house a bunch of other equipment. So my HVAC setup is a follows and please let me know if this is a bad idea. Using an 8” acinfinity inline fan i will pull hot air out of the closet blowing it through a Phresh air inline charcoal filter to pull out smells (used for marijuana industry) into the HT at the rear of the room to be conditioned by the mini split. Air will then travel forward to the return which will also have a 6” in line fan to dump the spent air into the closet in my master bedroom. I believe that because the way that the house is built this will serve several purposes. 1 cooling electronics 2 fresh air into HT 3 circulate all air through the house. I mounted the fans in the attic above the HT with bungee cords to avoid vibrations.

post #9 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Nice looking build!

I love Alaska, BTW. I'm a backpacker and spend 11 days backpacking and packrafting in Brooks Range in 2015 and came back in 2017 and spent 14 days backpacking in Wrangell St Elias NP. Both were glorious experiences.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #10 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Welcome to the build thread... glad to see more members in Alaska getting involved..

Just fiy.. in case you haven't realized.. it's tough to find materials up there.. so stay patient.. if you run into difficulties, I'd reach out to @brazensol , as he just completed his build not to long ago, and might be able to point you to a source on some things. Other than the big box stores....

Interested to see what your overall plan is...

HT1.0 | HT2.02
JVC RS-2000 / Xbox One X / nVidia Shield / DIY treatments
Seymour AV Center Stage 130" 2.35 / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD
iNuke NU6000DSP / iNukeNU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 2x UM18-22 / 12x JBL 12"
11.2(16).6 Atmos/Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #11 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Welcome to the build thread... glad to see more members in Alaska getting involved..

Just fiy.. in case you haven't realized.. it's tough to find materials up there.. so stay patient.. if you run into difficulties, I'd reach out to @brazensol , as he just completed his build not to long ago, and might be able to point you to a source on some things. Other than the big box stores....

Interested to see what your overall plan is...
i suppose a floorplan would be a good thing to post and i actually recently reached out to him when i was in anchorage and he gave me a couple places to look because as you say it is tough to find stuff here. im wondering if when i was at a HT store in anchorage i was given your number...did u used to live in Alaska?
sirjaymz likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Nice looking build!

I love Alaska, BTW. I'm a backpacker and spend 11 days backpacking and packrafting in Brooks Range in 2015 and came back in 2017 and spent 14 days backpacking in Wrangell St Elias NP. Both were glorious experiences.
thank you i will try to post more regularly from now on. it is beautiful country up there i live in the wet southeast rain forest in juneau
Mocs123 likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
Im impressed by your picture taking abilities...this leads me to believe you will have excellent theater/room. I lived on eagle river for a few years....loved it.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #14 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 704
post #15 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Looking good so far.
thanks. hopefully i can post updates more often but my work schedule is kinda crappy
post #16 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshine View Post
thanks. hopefully i can post updates more often but my work schedule is kinda crappy
Totally understand, I’m still slowly trying to finish my theater, I’m about 98% done.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Totally understand, I’m still slowly trying to finish my theater, I’m about 98% done.

I think we are always at about ~98% done... are we ever REALLY done?
brazensol likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.02
JVC RS-2000 / Xbox One X / nVidia Shield / DIY treatments
Seymour AV Center Stage 130" 2.35 / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD
iNuke NU6000DSP / iNukeNU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 2x UM18-22 / 12x JBL 12"
11.2(16).6 Atmos/Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #18 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
I've been 98% done for about a year now...
sirjaymz likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #19 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I've been 98% done for about a year now...
i cant wait until im 98% done
sirjaymz, bluer101 and brazensol like this.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshine View Post
i cant wait until im 98% done

Ditto!
brazensol likes this.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #21 of 22 Old 07-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Good to see more Alaskan builds! I've been about 90% done for 2 years now. I shouldn't have gotten it operational until I had more completed!
brazensol likes this.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #22 of 22 Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticbowman View Post
Good to see more Alaskan builds! I've been about 90% done for 2 years now. I shouldn't have gotten it operational until I had more completed!
so far i have not even put up my mount because i know that as soon as i do things will slow down, for right now the projector is set up in the living room although the light control is not ideal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page