• 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By pkinneb

post #1 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Typical riser row depth

Does anyone have a guideline as to the best depth for a riser row? I will have 3 rows so I am trying to decide on the best depth for row 2. I do realize that having the chairs is a good first step but that is just not possible at this time. (My wife and have a really hard time finding what we like).

Looks like 72" is a good starting point?

Do any of you have suggestions on this topic?

In Riser height calculator I used 72" as the difference between the front row and second row and it seems reasonable. Does this measurement provide enough room to walk in front of (not reclined) as well as legs extended (on average) from the end of a recliner? My wife and I will most likely choose reclining loveseats for the chairs. They seem to be about 65" on average reclined.

Thanks for any help.

The ever evolving Mini Theater and 60's basement overhaul

Coming Soon The "Hidden Canyon" Theater Build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5547 Post(s)
Liked: 5139
My rule of thumb is 78 inches to avoid kicking the seat in front. This is what you don't want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02942.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2591106  
Lynkage and dltnjarrel like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
My rule of thumb is 78 inches to avoid kicking the seat in front. This is what you don't want.

Excellent!!

Thank you very much Jeff!!

The ever evolving Mini Theater and 60's basement overhaul

Coming Soon The "Hidden Canyon" Theater Build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
This might sound a little controversial but I think more people should think thru the usage of their home theater. If you have a large family say and regularly plan on seating adults in every row then go with all seats the same and something like the 78” mentioned above.

I have found in both of my HT I have done in two different homes that the majority of the viewing is done with one or two of us in the theater. Those sessions tend to be longer times spent watching maybe 4-6 hours. Then there is the times where we are entertaining and might want to have 6-8 people over for a new release or sporting event. That’s when the second row gets used for a few hours. Those seats I find work out great if they are more like a good quality commercial theater upright seat. Kids also can see better from a seat like this. As a nostalgic adult that falls asleep if I recline fully I like a upright seat also.

Then there is immersion and the possibility of more IMAX media coming and lots of TV that is IMAX like for some including sports. A fully reclined second row high enough to view over the heads of the first row puts the eyes in an awkward position for even CIH and if you go IMAX it is very awkward.

IMO make the first row your money seats and the second row overflow with a taller less reclined seating. If your room is tall enough for 3 rows the third row has to be upright I think. The benefit to upright is you don’t need such long landings and it helps a lot with second and third row even immersion levels.

I used the above photo to show the concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02942.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2591438  

Bud

Last edited by bud16415; 07-16-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
This might sound a little controversial but I think more people should think thru the usage of their home theater. If you have a large family say and regularly plan on seating adults in every row then go with all seats the same and something like the 78” mentioned above.

I have found in both of my HT I have done in two different homes that the majority of the viewing is done with one or two of us in the theater. Those sessions tend to be longer times spent watching maybe 4-6 hours. Then there is the times where we are entertaining and might want to have 6-8 people over for a new release or sporting event. That’s when the second row gets used for a few hours. Those seats I find work out great if they are more like a good quality commercial theater upright seat. Kids also can see better from a seat like this. As a nostalgic adult that falls asleep if I recline fully I like a upright seat also.

Then there is immersion and the possibility of more IMAX media coming and lots of TV that is IMAX like for some including sports. A fully reclined second row high enough to view over the heads of the first row puts the eyes in an awkward position for even CIH and if you go IMAX it is very awkward.

IMO make the first row your money seats and the second row overflow with a taller less reclined seating. If your room is tall enough for 3 rows the third row has to be upright I think. The benefit to upright is you don’t need such long landings and it helps a lot with second and third row even immersion levels.

I used the above photo to show the concept.
So due to room length limitations I was advised early in the process that two rows of recliners in my space would not work well. As you suggest for those holidays when the entire family is there I did want 8 seats so I decided to go with commercial theater seats for the rear row. My current thought is I will also use a CIH screen. My question to you is how tall would you make the riser? If I understand you correctly you are suggesting the normal 12ish inch tall riser and the upright nature of the seat will help position the rear row at the right height for the CIH screen is that correct? I am getting ready to build the riser and have been kicking around how tall it should be.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
So due to room length limitations I was advised early in the process that two rows of recliners in my space would not work well. As you suggest for those holidays when the entire family is there I did want 8 seats so I decided to go with commercial theater seats for the rear row. My current thought is I will also use a CIH screen. My question to you is how tall would you make the riser? If I understand you correctly you are suggesting the normal 12ish inch tall riser and the upright nature of the seat will help position the rear row at the right height for the CIH screen is that correct? I am getting ready to build the riser and have been kicking around how tall it should be.
CIH with a scope screen is able to be done with the conventional dual row of fully reclining seating as many have done it on these forums. The angles may or may not have been perfect but everyone would get a full view of the entire screen.

Some things are changing over the last few years though. First is with 4k people are finally able to watch as immersive as they desire and many people are going more immersive. Secondly IMAX is making some inroads into HT media as they have been with the movies that switch AR like Dunkirk and Aquaman to name a couple and there is now a push by the studios and IMAX called IMAX Enhanced, where IMAX will be re-mastering movies that were originally shown in both scope and IMAX1.89 venues. The process is called IMAX DMR. Up to now a movie like Sully could only be bought for home as scope, and hopefully in the near future the 1.89 version or in some cases a 16:9 version re-mastered to better than before will be coming to UHD BD or even streaming media. To watch these movies at home you need a CIH+IMAX screen and you need IMAX immersion and if you have a second row it would be nice if they could see the full screen as the bottom will likely be lower.

As to the immersion factor between rows at home, for an example say you like to watch scope and flat movies as CIH and your seating distance is 2.0 times the screen height your IMAX distance would be 1.5 X SH and seem correct. Now if you take say the average HT with a 120” screen and you do the math (I won’t here.) if your front row is where you like it and you go with a long conventional riser and a full recline second row, the front row immersion is like sitting in the front 1/3 of a commercial theater and the second row is as immersive as being in the back row of the same theater. With an upright second row moving the eyes up just a few feet changes the immersion quite a bit and now maybe the second row is more like the middle of the theater. Plus of course you get a better angle if you decide to go with CIH+IMAX or one of the other variable presentation methods.

As to directly answer your riser height question I would suggest you make a scale drawing of the side view of your room. Put in the front seating you are thinking about and figure those heads and eye heights. Then find the upright seats you want to use and how much knee room you would like. Some people want it like a commercial theater where it is a little hard to get up and leave in the middle of the show and some like a little more room to get in and out. Keep in mind the front seats may or may not be reclined. Take a look at what this does to immersion in both rows. The height will be what it has to be. Divide that height to some distance that gives you some number of even steps 2-3 around 6”-8”. For comfortable steps rise + run should be around 18”. So a 6” rise should have a 12” tread or run. And 8” rise a 10” run.

Doing the side view with knowing the screen size and AR and ceiling height and your personal taste for immersion will answer all your questions. If you don’t know your desired immersion or are new to HT I suggest putting the projector on a low table and watching movies shown on a white painted wall for a few weeks to even a month and playing around with screen sizes and AR’s. Set up a 3.1 sound system temporarily and sit in lawn chairs that are easy to move around. Watch all your favorites and include a few IMAX AR changers and see if you like IMAX immersion. The reason I suggest a month or more of testing is most people as they start watching more than once a week like going out to a movie begin to slowly like higher visual immersion.

Sorry for the long post in answering your question.

One last thought. I have went past CIH+IMAX and went to an even more variable form of presentation. I don’t want to derail this thread so if you PM me I will link you to some threads about that.

PS I just tried your build link in your signature and it sends me to the wrong thread. I found it though.

Bud

Last edited by bud16415; 07-17-2019 at 05:48 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for the info! I will put together a side view and see what I come up, with I may have more questions. I do plan on going off the painted wall until I determine size and will be using a spandex screen, at least initially, after that.
bud16415 likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page