AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   Painting my PSB Imagine T's from Gloss White to black (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3078712-painting-my-psb-imagine-ts-gloss-white-black.html)

amairphoto 07-15-2019 03:50 PM

Painting my PSB Imagine T's from Gloss White to black

About to get these in the movie theater and I have the two front T's and the C speaker. I wasnt anticipated having a dedicated theater when I purchased them. Now I am thinking of painting them black, would it be best to sand them down? theyre the gloss white.

BIGmouthinDC 07-15-2019 04:22 PM

Depending on what paint you plan on using I'm not sure you have to sand down to the bare material just enough to create some tooth (microscopic grooves) that the paint can grab. Read the directions of your selected paint for any advice they might provide. Make sure they are wax free, furniture polish etc.

amairphoto 07-15-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC (Post 58300364)
Depending on what paint you plan on using I'm not sure you have to sand down to the bare material just enough to create some tooth (microscopic grooves) that the paint can grab. Read the directions of your selected paint for any advice they might provide. Make sure they are wax free, furniture polish etc.

That makes sense, Ill have a look at the paint and see what it says.

Bigus 07-15-2019 05:54 PM

Use 280 or so grit on a flat wide sanding block and sand just enough to take the shine off... unless there are obvious high spots you want to address at the same time.

If you are doing a clear coat then use ~400 grit before final coat.

BIGmouthinDC 07-15-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigus (Post 58300682)
on a flat wide sanding block

Unfortunately those speakers have curved surfaces. Sanding sponges may work better.

Bigus 07-15-2019 09:13 PM

Oh, yeah that wouldn't be ideal! I wasn't familiar with that model, took a look, beautiful design.

Another option you may want to explore is taking a pic to a few auto body shops and inquiring about how much they would charge to spray black with clear coat if you have them sanded and prepped.

I've had luck once in the past when a shop thought the project looked cool and wanted to help for next to nothing. On a different occasion there was zero interest for whatever reason and the only shop that said they had time wanted a few hundred bucks for the trouble.

Luddy111dog 07-15-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amairphoto (Post 58300252)
About to get these in the movie theater and I have the two front T's and the C speaker. I wasnt anticipated having a dedicated theater when I purchased them. Now I am thinking of painting them black, would it be best to sand them down? theyre the gloss white.

Just to cut to the chase, I'm an x-automotive spray-painter so I maybe able to help.

What results are you looking for?

Have you got a compressor & spray-gun or will you be using a brush?

If you're doing it yourself in the shed, I'd simply use a semi-gloss water-based paint & spray them.

If the speakers are of a smooth Gloss flat finish I'd simply use a 1200 grit sand-paper. I'd dip the paper in a bucket of water for best results, give it a little shake before rubbing as you don't want to soak the speakers. Using water with the sand-paper will prevent harsh scratch marks & give best results. Make sure you have a shamy or rags to wipe down the speakers when finished. Obviously, don't get water on any surfaces of the speakers that aren't already sealed with paint etc.

Tape areas that you don't want to paint. Then hang them up using something strong like wire as you don't want them to fall & smash on the ground.

Preposal them down (takes away any oil / silcone that maybe of the surface) & finally, "Tack-rag" them (removes lint, hairs & fine dust from surface).

All the prep-work has been done, just simply paint them making sure you let them dry in between coats. 2 coats ok but 3 coats will be better.

Cheers, Steve

BIGmouthinDC 07-16-2019 03:58 AM

there really isn't a need for nice shiny black speakers for a theater room unless you like to look at the reflections. Dull black would be my first choice.

Luddy111dog 07-16-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC (Post 58301628)
there really isn't a need for nice shiny black speakers for a theater room unless you like to look at the reflections. Dull flat black would be my first choice.

I'm hearing you BM....but I hate the "Chalk effect" that flat matt paint finishes can leave when handled. Give me a 50/50 paint finish any day ;-)

BIGmouthinDC 07-16-2019 05:41 AM

yes, I meant to say dull black not flat. Duratex applied with a fine foam roller is what I like to put on speakers, Durable and washable, like the cabinets used by touring bands. Of course if you consider speakers as furniture they look industrial.

Bigus 07-16-2019 07:31 AM

My assumption was that he is interested in them being on display and "furniture" of sorts or would just be hiding them behind screens or columns. I may be wrong.

impreza276 07-16-2019 08:23 AM

How about a wrap?