N8DOGGs new theater room..... Finally! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 03-28-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I'll have to get some good pics.The ones I did have didnt really do it justice. It was a diy project and I talked to jeff at nightskymurals and got a bunch of tips. Alot of the stars where sporadic and different sizes but I also printed out and added different constellations around the room. Took me and the wife a day on the weekend but looked very natural when done. The one bad thing is that we rarely charge them up and wouldn't want to leave UV lights on during a movie. With the fiber optic we could leave it on during the movie without it becominga distraction . Yeah around my front of my baffle wall I used black velvet so that was the plan if I went optic. How did you go about building your panels and what was your cost to area covered. Mine would be around 14 by 20.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The panels were construction styrofoam and Felt. I did try velvet at first but it was not the easiest to poke hole through. IUt was a little tough to work with in that way. The Styrofoam, felt, 3m spray glue, cost maybe 500$ CDN in total. My area was 6.5 x 20. So 5 panels, worked out perfect with 1.5 feet cut off one end. In your case, for OCD sake, I'd do two 7 x 4 panels per run, with 5 runs. So 10 pieces (assuming 4 x 8) of Styrofoam/wood/drywall etc total.
I'd FULLY recommend the stuff like I have with the foil backing if you go with the styrofoam, It's MUCH more ridged than the non backed. Even the blue or pink outside wall stuff would be awesome and ridged. Your prices will be way lower than mine assuming you are in the US, since my materials are close to double the cost.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 03-31-2020, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
The panels were construction styrofoam and Felt. I did try velvet at first but it was not the easiest to poke hole through. IUt was a little tough to work with in that way. The Styrofoam, felt, 3m spray glue, cost maybe 500$ CDN in total. My area was 6.5 x 20. So 5 panels, worked out perfect with 1.5 feet cut off one end. In your case, for OCD sake, I'd do two 7 x 4 panels per run, with 5 runs. So 10 pieces (assuming 4 x 8) of Styrofoam/wood/drywall etc total.
I'd FULLY recommend the stuff like I have with the foil backing if you go with the styrofoam, It's MUCH more ridged than the non backed. Even the blue or pink outside wall stuff would be awesome and ridged. Your prices will be way lower than mine assuming you are in the US, since my materials are close to double the cost.

Thanks for the info! Our next step is to tackle the fiber star ceiling! ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N8DOGG likes this.
post #33 of 38 Old 03-31-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Thanks for all the info so would I need two optic kits for my size of ceiling

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 03-31-2020, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Hey @N8DOGG I love the room. Looking very impressive. What are your room dimensions.
post #35 of 38 Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_J View Post
Hey @N8DOGG I love the room. Looking very impressive. What are your room dimensions.
thanks! 15.5 X 22 X 8.5 (at bulkheads) 9.5 where the fiber optics are.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
post #36 of 38 Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ive been looking through the forum and Im hoping one of you guys can tell me, what do you use to anchor the floating walls through the serenity mat into the concrete? Im sure theres problems with driving something solid through the walls onto the concrete(taking away the sound isolation)
post #37 of 38 Old 04-06-2020, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
Ive been looking through the forum and Im hoping one of you guys can tell me, what do you use to anchor the floating walls through the serenity mat into the concrete? Im sure theres problems with driving something solid through the walls onto the concrete(taking away the sound isolation)
I couldn't tell ya, I didn't sound proof mine.
post #38 of 38 Old 04-06-2020, 02:13 PM
RETIRED theater builder

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6696 Post(s)
Liked: 6580
If you framed your walls on top of rubber pads, which is a good idea, I don't think there is an acceptable method of anchoring the walls without a few mechanical fasteners into the concrete. But just a few and they don't need to pull the walls tight to concrete, think of the fasteners like foot ball cleats, the nails just need to go into the concrete 1/4 inch to resist horizontal movement. The wall won't be jumping up and down, gravity will take care of that. Use either a power actuated gun or plain masonry nails and a beefy hammer. I wouldn't use more than one every 4-6 feet.

There is a more elegant solution that involves drilling a large hole in the bottom plate, inserting a rubber bushing (collar) , a small square of rubber pad over top and using a concrete Tapcon screw with a washer. Here is an excellent discussion of such a method: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post59396776
Rjloper9 likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 04-06-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page