N8DOGGs new theater room..... Finally! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By N8DOGG
  • 1 Post By juanchibiris
  • 1 Post By Ads___
  • 1 Post By bluer101

post #1 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
N8DOGGs new theater room..... Finally!

Alright, Ive got a few questions.
Moving in 2 weeks, new house has an unfinished basement. Theater room will be 14 x 20 x 9.5 foot ceilings. Not huge but a nice size. Fully sealed.

I was debating on how to do the seating and decided, Im only doing one row. Im not bothering with a second row since 99.9% of the time, its just me, the wife and kid (but mostly me)

Projector is a JVC NX5 (going to be built in to adjacent room along with all equipment)

Screen is a 135" Severtson AT white mirco perf.
Going to do some sort of false wall, havent decided wjst its gonna look like.

Speakers are JTR 215's, custom JTR 210 center, 4 x single 8s and 4 x volt 6s for Atmos.
Subs are 4 x 24" mach 5s, 2 x JTR OS pros and 2 x Ricci's SKRams, 4 x buttkicker lfe, 4 x clark Synthesis platinum's.

A fiber optic ceiling will be installed at some point, but probably not till fall.

Anyways, Im wondering if I should be building a stage or not for the front and a riser for the seating in the rear.
The room is on a wood subfloor and will be carpet.

The actual placement and stuff Im good with, Im curious if there are any benefits to the stages other than just looks.
Sekosche and spyboy like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Three seats in the room, with the AT screen offers up a lot of potential for getting seating away from all speakers.

There's a third option, with a sand filled stage behind the AT screen wall.

With three seats in that space, have you considered a plain front AT wall, and putting some detailing on the side walls? I plan to eliminate columns, and a visible stage, and give the side walls some interesting fabric panels. Lots of traditional elements are getting the heave-ho and the savings dumped elsewhere, like on hard drives for the server.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minimal.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2591618  
post #3 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Three seats in the room, with the AT screen offers up a lot of potential for getting seating away from all speakers.

There's a third option, with a sand filled stage behind the AT screen wall.

With three seats in that space, have you considered a plain front AT wall, and putting some detailing on the side walls? I plan to eliminate columns, and a visible stage, and give the side walls some interesting fabric panels. Lots of traditional elements are getting the heave-ho and the savings dumped elsewhere, like on hard drives for the server.
Im going to be doing large absorption panels around the room, similar to columns, just full of rockwool. I currently have similar in my room now.

Im not really convinced I need a stage up front, Im going to be using 2 of the horns as nearfield subs... Id like to do a boss setup as Ive got 4 x 18s doing nothing lol.

I guess if I was doing 2 level seating, the stage would make more sense to get the gear up higher.

Just more curious as to why people do the stage, if not just for looks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You might want to go easy on that treatment. Easy to suck the high frequency energy out of the room.

The stage is:

a) A visual design element.

b) It might be hiding something....

c) There to be provide some isolation for speakers and provide a solid base for the front speakers.

d) Depending on it's design and it's execution, it might be wicking up light coming off the screen, and helping
with maintaining a projector's contrast ratio.

And yes, it might be something that one might eliminate.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ya, Im doing 8 panels, and the rear will have some diffusers, so its not too much for the room, I could run double that in that sized room.
I dont think Im going to do a stage, but will do a 1 foot riser in the back so I can put my electrical connections, and my 18s for the boss build.
Im excited to be on a wood subfloor vs a concrete slab, also having a AT screen for the first time!

I will post some more once we get started!

post #6 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think I'm doing something similar as you said? But I'm having 7 panels in one side and about 4 on the other because the other side have the door entrance.

What you see is one panel just with the fabric and the other one have rockwool inside.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk
post #7 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can fit in more visually more, but I doubt you need more, if that ends up as a single row configuration. I would come at this by looking at treating first row reflections,
off of the ceiling and walls.

After toying with some tactile feedback , and experiencing a couple of home theaters with it, I ended up with a D-Box. That is going to be recessed and slightly rebuilt for the next room,
to get feet off the ground, and on the platform. Near field subs was something I really wasn't impressed with, nor were Bass Shakers. Bass Shakers were greatly improved by a 20 Hz cut
off filter.

If that's to be a one row room, have you considered the back wall could be acoustically transparent?

I also wonder about sound leaking from the room, so I do see where a low riser could be all about tactile feedback, while not having those subs disturbing the rest of the house?
post #8 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yuan, you could hide the door in the panels, or by the panels.

I will be doing panels also, but my plans are to use some Unistrut to attach my panels to, so they can be removed, to accommodate future upgrades, hide wiring runs, and be able to tuck electrical
outlets up and under the panels (which won't be extended to the floor), so they are hidden, but there. (Metal conduit for the 120V runs. for safety.) I also plan to use the panels off the walls, to introduce
some LED RGB tape lights to add down lighting. The panels themselves are visual, but the acoustical treatments beneath will be independent of them.

Another big plus of fabric panels to me, is how one can visually eliminate obstacles from a room, while allowing for access.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Screen is a 135" Severtson AT white mirco perf.
what's the gain of this screen?
post #10 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Yuan, you could hide the door in the panels, or by the panels.

I will be doing panels also, but my plans are to use some Unistrut to attach my panels to, so they can be removed, to accommodate future upgrades, hide wiring runs, and be able to tuck electrical

outlets up and under the panels (which won't be extended to the floor), so they are hidden, but there. (Metal conduit for the 120V runs. for safety.) I also plan to use the panels off the walls, to introduce

some LED RGB tape lights to add down lighting. The panels themselves are visual, but the acoustical treatments beneath will be independent of them.

Another big plus of fabric panels to me, is how one can visually eliminate obstacles from a room, while allowing for access.
Yep I plan to also do panels on the doors they won't be exactly the same as the other side but is better than nothing, my panels are also hang to the walls and I can remove them if I want

post #11 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
what's the gain of this screen?
1.3 gain. I had a few people that I talk to quite a bit say how good it was for the money. Honestly, dealing with them was awesome, really great at answering questions etc.
Its delivered to my US/CAN boarder shipper, so I still have to go pick it up.

post #12 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can fit in more visually more, but I doubt you need more, if that ends up as a single row configuration. I would come at this by looking at treating first row reflections,
off of the ceiling and walls.

After toying with some tactile feedback , and experiencing a couple of home theaters with it, I ended up with a D-Box. That is going to be recessed and slightly rebuilt for the next room,
to get feet off the ground, and on the platform. Near field subs was something I really wasn't impressed with, nor were Bass Shakers. Bass Shakers were greatly improved by a 20 Hz cut
off filter.

If that's to be a one row room, have you considered the back wall could be acoustically transparent?

I also wonder about sound leaking from the room, so I do see where a low riser could be all about tactile feedback, while not having those subs disturbing the rest of the house?
Im a nearfield maniac lol, Im opposite of you, Ive never once been in a theater thats wowed me yet that didnt have nearfield stuff. Its lifeless and boring IMO lol but I also did dB drags for years in my car audio days, so Im a bass nut.

Id love a Dbox and in the future Id kill to have it un my room but this place is a massive set up from our current house, so we have an entire 2400sf house worth of furniture to still buy lol so, that will have to hold up.

Im not concerned about sound leakage though, its a non issue. Ive got 2 other full open systems (though with TVs) 77" oled and 75" qled, that have full surround setups for gaming and movies. The theater is not something that gets used after people go to bed.

What do you mean about a transparent rear wall? As it stands now, its going to have my peerless av27 rack and projector box built in, then havent 100% decided what else. Im always down for good ideas!

post #13 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post
I think I'm doing something similar as you said? But I'm having 7 panels in one side and about 4 on the other because the other side have the door entrance.

What you see is one panel just with the fabric and the other one have rockwool inside.

Ya, like your long floor to ceiling ones. Thats what Im wanting to do. I really like the way you did that, the walls looks great!

post #14 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Ya, like your long floor to ceiling ones. Thats what Im wanting to do. I really like the way you did that, the walls looks great!
That large ones are hiding the surround speakers and surround back, the black ones are just for cosmetics and half of them are filled with rockwool

N8DOGG likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well to be fair, my big subs are plenty nearfield enough up front, while my system is very capable of beating on one's hearing, if one chooses to ignore sane listening levels. I just find nearfield subs a little gimmicky and maybe not the safest or best way to plant money in a room. I get the fun factor but I wish to be able to enjoy home theater in my retirement years.

Just like an AT screen wall, you can have an acoustically transparent back wall, if you have room depth. One extreme example of what you see, isn't even close to what is there, is this Hollywood room.

The MKG room by hnkudr, has two doors fitted into a very similar fabric panel pattern. (It's a beauty and definitely worth checking out.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3019.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	2591980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3023.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2591982  
post #16 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well to be fair, my big subs are plenty nearfield enough up front, while my system is very capable of beating on one's hearing, if one chooses to ignore sane listening levels. I just find nearfield subs a little gimmicky and maybe not the safest or best way to plant money in a room. I get the fun factor but I wish to be able to enjoy home theater in my retirement years.

Just like an AT screen wall, you can have an acoustically transparent back wall, if you have room depth. One extreme example of what you see, isn't even close to what is there, is this Hollywood room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFloFpjUhcU

The MKG room by hnkudr, has two doors fitted into a very similar fabric panel pattern. (It's a beauty and definitely worth checking out.)

Ahh ok, I see what you mean. I guess I will have to see how much room is left once I get my gear in there. As it stands, its gonna be pretty packed lol.
The nearfield thing is just a preference, some love it, some hate it lol. The goal of my system is to have enough firepower up front (which I do) to be able to pick and choose when I fire up the rears for kicks.

As of now, there are just so many possibilities to go though cosmically.

post #17 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post
That large ones are hiding the surround speakers and surround back, the black ones are just for cosmetics and half of them are filled with rockwool

Ya, I want to do the same type of thing. Big columns hiding the speakers like that, as well as the traps.

post #18 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are barely scratching the surface of fabric panelled walls.

There are a lot of looks I really like, and some of those could be rather inexpensive with a lot less work, with bigger panels. Here's JOSK1's room
(from France). Way less frames, and some RGB LED attitude.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Josk1-4.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	872.8 KB
ID:	2592058  
post #19 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are barely scratching the surface of fabric panelled walls.

There are a lot of looks I really like, and some of those could be rather inexpensive with a lot less work, with bigger panels. Here's JOSK1's room
(from France). Way less frames, and some RGB LED attitude.
My panels are probably going to be 4 x 8 or feet. the ceiling will have trough led lighting all the way around and the fiber optic star ceiling. There is a bulkhead in the room that I'm going to mimic on the other side, the star ceiling will be between that. I've been looking at tons of different theaters getting ideas. I've got my 1.5K worth of wiring and lighting ready to go lol, the house is on piles under the basement with 7 feet of space underneath, so super easy access for speaker wires, wiring etc. Will make for a really clean install that way. still have to figure out the false wall for the screen and how much room I will have left. Picked up my av27b tonight, got my 2 x 21ds115's in the mail too. The moving company came to do an account for all my HT stuff and the guy nearly fell over laught at the 2 tons of stuff they are gonna have to move! hahahah sucks to be them!

post #20 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've seen some theatres / media rooms with a riser with only one set of chairs. I'm a huge fan of it, it actually raises the eye level at the seating position to the screen, so your eye while watching is more in level with the middle of the projector screen, compared to the lower position without a riser. A small advantage but does aid in general comfort while watching.
N8DOGG likes this.
post #21 of 25 Old 07-18-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We seem to be trending on an extremely similar path. I have an extensive folder on fabric walls.

I would need a really good reason to put a single row on a riser. Kind of wasted money and why give up room volume and separation
distance from overhead speakers, needlessly?

However, I will be dropping the screen mounting height, and sticking with a 16x9 screen. I figure the bottom of the screen will be around
10-12" off the floor, and I plan on a single (solid)masking panel up top, with the video image tied to the bottom of the screen. If I need
more travel room for the mask, then I will frame to be able to utilize the floor joist space.)

I will be doing some cement work, and doing a small pit for the D-Box system, as I want a small section of foot rest area, to move with the seating.

This might be an interesting approach to one row on a riser, and tie the lighting into a zoned lighting controller...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LED lighting.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2592350  
post #22 of 25 Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I quite like that pic! looks similar to my thinking with the fiber optic ceiling etc. My ceilings will be high enough, to be able to have some sort of riser if I choose to go that way.
I do like the idea of looking more at the middle of the screen... my JTR 215's are pretty high up, I could go 2 feet high and they would still be horn at ear level.... though I'd think I'd only need a single step riser... hummmm. The lighting system on the stairs could easily be tied into the perimeter lighting I'm going to do.
Another member had a good idea on a masking system for my 16x9 screen. I debated between the 2 but I play games on my screen, so I wanted the 16x9 and with the masking system, it's a simple way to get what I'm after!

Ted, do you have any examples of what you are thinking for your Dbox install?

post #23 of 25 Old 07-19-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure what AVS member did this, but this snap got me thinking about how much better D-Box is, when one's feet aren't touching the floor. There's a bit of a disconnect of one's brain, when your brain
is buying into the motion and your feet stationary feet tell you something is amiss. So I figured why not just enlarge the seating foot print and have my feet on the platform also. This shows the pit framing
before concrete.

Much of where I am headed, is really and leveraging time and some growing building skills versus eating up next projector budget. And much of the thinking is if I need but three seats, then where and what can
I spend my money on, in terms of other desirable higher end features? Once I get beyond a low noise floor and sound isolation, then it's things like I'd like at least four feet between speakers and any seat, and five
feet should be potentially possible without the room's foot print getting excessively large.

My screen wall is all about a simple approach too, but with masking. And how to accomplish that inexpensively.

Some of the projects for the future room on the go right now. A digital movie poster light box for the feature wall. There will be some bits like 3d lettering and door pulls making use of the center cut out of the
aluminum panel. A 1930 art deco movie theater EXIT sign, now has a black hammered finish that the lights will also get, as well as other features. And I am just starting the media storage, which is a bunch of
ex library shelving I picked up cheap. I don't need book depth so the sectioning doubles the footage of shelving. This will also get a hammered finish after being built in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DBox pit.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	2592428   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 lightbox - 4 posters displayed.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	2592430   Click image for larger version

Name:	1930 exit art deco.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2592432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exit sign 2 coats.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	2592434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02031.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	2592436  

post #24 of 25 Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ahh ok, I understand what you mean about feet off the floor. Thats a cool idea!
Ive though about the lit signs, I already have a bunch of nice framed posters but the nice double sided lit ones would be a cool upgrade in time.

post #25 of 25 Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Im going to be doing large absorption panels around the room, similar to columns, just full of rockwool. I currently have similar in my room now.

Im not really convinced I need a stage up front, Im going to be using 2 of the horns as nearfield subs... Id like to do a boss setup as Ive got 4 x 18s doing nothing lol.

I guess if I was doing 2 level seating, the stage would make more sense to get the gear up higher.

Just more curious as to why people do the stage, if not just for looks.
I like the design of a stage but mine was also used for my air exchange intake.
N8DOGG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page