New setup - In Over My Head - Lots of details but need a pro to help me sort this out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By mushroommunk

post #1 of 27 Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb New setup - In Over My Head - Lots of details but need a pro to help me sort this out

I originally posted this to another very popular social media hub earlier, and realized that I may not have been in the right place to ask all of this. I'm worried that I'm falling in to the traditional "Mass Consumer" trap on my speakers/components with average brands that are hyped higher than they should be. From what I've read, people here know their stuff a lot better than most and I'm hoping for some of you to take me under your wing a bit, if only for a moment. The wife and I married in April, sold our homes, put an offer in on a very large house in May with anticipation of starting our family, then found out two days later that we have our first little one on the way. We've got a ton of projects going on so my budget is limited (painting, remodeling, re-flooring - the works). With the little one on the way, I don't want anything high end that could very likely get trashed by a little maniac in the near future. I'd look to invest properly in the setup in another 10 years once they're old enough to know better - but I also want that home theater experience for them as they grow (can you imagine watching the new lion king as a kid in a home theater?!?). I'm planning to do most of the install myself with the help of a friend who has some experience here. I may have a local company come out to help with calibration once it's done.. I just don't want them up-selling and scamming the hell out of me.

TL;DR - Just bought a house, baby on the way, on a budget with lots of other projects to work on right now, need someone who knows waaayyy more than I do to help me out with what I need.

This is what I originally posted elsewhere:

So the wife and I have just moved in to a new home, which came complete with a finished basement including a dedicated home theater room. The previous owners had a horrendous setup, so that was all removed and I'm starting from scratch. My current budget is low, between 6k to 7k, as I have other projects in the home to work on as well. I'm also trying to finance as much of this as I can through BB to take advantage of their 24 month free finance on our BB card. This isn't mandatory, but it helps, as we have a lot of up-front cash bills for other projects going on.

I'm a little out of my element on current hardware trends and A/V in general, so I've spent the last couple of weeks doing research, reading the FAQ of various forums/social media sites, and generally educating myself on the intricacies of A/V and HT. (Wow, talk about a rabbit hole.) I frequently found myself a bit overwhelmed and coming up with more questions than answers. However, I've made my best "educated guess" towards a good setup within budget and would be genuinely grateful for any comments, suggestions, or corrections from those of you with much more knowledge and experience than myself.

The HT Room and measurements:
The room is rectangular at 20' L x 12' W. It has coffer ceilings that are about 7 3/4' H around the border and 8 3/4' H in the center.

The "screen" wall (in inches for simplicity) is 144" wide and about 93" tall, though there is trim and crown molding which leaves about 84" H of usable space for wall mounting.

There is a step in the back for stadium style seating and, thus, will have two rows for seating for approximately 5 to 6. The approximate viewing distance for these two seats will be 13' and 17' (give or take a little, I don't have the actual seats in yet to be exact)

Video:
I'm going for 4k/UHD. I'm currently planning on ceiling mounting an Epson 5050UB about 16' back (maybe 19 under the coffer edge?) to project on to a Silver Ticket 120" white projector screen. My only concern with this is that I've received some mixed feedback on seating distance and screen size. Some guides I've read say it won't be as big of a deal being closer since it's 4k, but others imply the seating should be further back for that size. I've attached pictures below including a painter's tape outline of the screen size on the wall and I think it will work, but I'm not an expert... (I just really want 120 inch so it feels all encompassing like a theater).

Audio:
This was the part I kept chasing my tail on. Based on the room's size, I've decided that a 5.1.2 system should be sufficient. I've read the warnings about not skimping on audio. Someone mentioned on a thread that you should spend, at a minimum, the same amount on audio as video.

I originally looked at a Klipsh Reference set but I noticed a lot of hate for them. I went to a BB sound room to test them myself but they didn't have them hooked up for listening. I spoke at length with a younger BB guy who generally seemed to know what he was talking about and he recommended Def tech as a good starting point for "entry level" home theater systems. He specifically said that def tech are geared more towards home theater/movies/tv/games and not music, which is what I was needing (I plan to have a completely separate sound system for music outside of the HT room in the rest of the open finished basement to go along with the bar area). Reviews online for them seem generally positive, so I specced the following system out:

Receiver: Dennon AVR-X1600 - Should I go bigger here in case I upgrade later, or buy a newer, more advanced receiver later?

Front: 2x Def Tech BP-9020 Towers

Center: Def Tech 9040-CS Center Channel

Back: 2x Def Tech Pro Monitor 800

Atmos (Tower Modules): Def Tech A90 Height Speaker

Sub: SVS PB1000 - Might add a second one of these if I decide to turn down the bass on the towers later.

Pictures of the room itself, including a painters tape outline for screen. (Don't worry, it's going to be re-painted and re-carpeted as well).

Facing Front 1

Facing front 2

Facing Rear

Please feel free to drown me in your wisdom here, this was the best I could figure out on my own.

Most Importantly: Thank you. For your time, your knowledge, and your expertise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
I cannot help with the theater construction, but I can with the speakers.

As a person on here once said “I trust BB employees about as far as I can throw them”.

DefTech is not very good. There are lots of better speakers out there for cheaper. Go back and have them hook up the Klipsch RP. It’s a much more refined speaker and all around better IMO. BB only knows what they know. And they only recommend what they know. And they usually don’t know much. Lol.

If you are doing a dedicated theater though, I recommend you use in ceiling speakers not Atmos add ons. The reflective topper speakers are hit and miss (miss more than not) but in ceilings are almost always hit.

As for the receiver. I’d recommend going with either the new X3600 or the older X4500(or even X4500) as they are 9.2 all channel, with better EQ, and more wattage. The 4000 series are also being discounted as the new 600 models move in, not to mention they have 11.2 processing should you want to expand further.

As for subs, that’s a pretty small 10” sub for a large room like that. For theaters, DIY usually reigns king but some people don’t have to time to build their own or will to. But i definitely recommend something a bit larger, or at least two of them.
Zzz..oltan! likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 27 Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The 5050 Ultra Black is a great unit, it can display good blacks and contrast. But wall reflections (lights off scenario) can affect this aspect greatly.
More on that here: https://projectiondream.com/en/contr...r-environment/

To alleviate, dark color paint or fabric would need to be used. The area that is most recommended to be modified is about 2-8 feet around the screen (walls, ceiling and floor). On the sides retractable drapes are an option instead of an permanent setup.
Info here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...image-210.html

If no room modifications to the walls/ceiling are going to be made, and/or the projector is going to be used with some lights on, an ALR or grey screen is an option. However, even with this type of screen the black levels/contrast will be inferior to a white screen in a modified room with no wall reflections.
Thread on a very similar setup: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ey-screen.html

The 5050UB is a pixel shifter(not a true 4K), which shifts it's (1080p) pixels twice to achieve around 4 million pixels. So it's not the sharpest 4K, even among other pixel shifters. Some people have complained that if standing too close the individual pixels can be seen. That being said, 13-17 feet for 120 inch would be too far.
It's important to note that the quality of the image (sharpness) will also depend on the source.
For an in depth discussion visit this thread, if you haven't already:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ub-thread.html

So don't buy a screen or decide on the seating distance, use it for a few weeks and get an idea of an acceptable screen diagonal and seating distance.

Last edited by noob00224; 07-16-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 881
The rear firing tweeter of the Def Teck means they aren't a good match for a projection based dedicated room, which should have some absorption on the front wall.

I would suggest simply taking a look At BigmouthinDC's often used components, as a shortcut to value and maybe reconsider if 5.1.4 layout is perhaps in the budget, with that space.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 06:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5647 Post(s)
Liked: 5212
Actual quote from a young Best Buy sales guy. "I don't know why you would want a 1080P display there isn't any content to support it"

The best advice so far that has been mentioned is to hang the projector and shine it on the front wall. Experiment with seating positions and image size. Then buy a screen or if money is tight paint one or get some spandex and make one. 120 is not too big at 13 ft, you could go bigger or a better move is pull the first row up to 11 1/2 feet.

A spread of two rows for 13-17 ft viewing distances resulting in 4 ft difference is not enough for most seats what style were you planning? Depending on choice of seating the second row may not have an unobstructed view of the screen. That back riser is pretty short.

Not sure why you would want those tower speakers with built in subwoofers then buy a subwoofer. If your receiver is properly set up low frequency information will be sent to the subwoofer and nothing to the tower speakers, Your money would be better spent getting cheaper speakers without subwoofers and then go ahead and get your two SVS subs now. If you have any DIY skills you might want to consider putting kits together from DIYsoundgroup. More bang for your buck.

I'm a big fan of acoustically transparent screens, You can elevate the center channel where it can be clearly heard in the second row. If you can't see it you are not hearing the direct sound.

Receivers, I would buy a recertified Denon unit from acessories4less.com you will save a bunch

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 534
If you've got the time I'd suggest building your own subs, mains, and side/rear surrounds. I am using the RSL C34E for my overhead Atmos @ only $125.00 each. I sit a bit over 10' from a 124" DIY spandex screen. IMO 14' is too far for the 1st row. As Jeff said moving closer frees up leg room for your 2nd row. It will also help with your overall sound in the room.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #7 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 7073 Post(s)
Liked: 6075
How far back does the left wall go before turning into the alcove? How deep (front to back) is the riser?

Sanjay
post #8 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, all of you, for taking time to lend advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I cannot help with the theater construction, but I can with the speakers.

As a person on here once said “I trust BB employees about as far as I can throw them”.

DefTech is not very good. There are lots of better speakers out there for cheaper. Go back and have them hook up the Klipsch RP. It’s a much more refined speaker and all around better IMO. BB only knows what they know. And they only recommend what they know. And they usually don’t know much. Lol.

If you are doing a dedicated theater though, I recommend you use in ceiling speakers not Atmos add ons. The reflective topper speakers are hit and miss (miss more than not) but in ceilings are almost always hit.

As for the receiver. I’d recommend going with either the new X3600 or the older X4500(or even X4500) as they are 9.2 all channel, with better EQ, and more wattage. The 4000 series are also being discounted as the new 600 models move in, not to mention they have 11.2 processing should you want to expand further.

As for subs, that’s a pretty small 10” sub for a large room like that. For theaters, DIY usually reigns king but some people don’t have to time to build their own or will to. But i definitely recommend something a bit larger, or at least two of them.

I've taken your advice and have specced out a new klipsch speaker setup along with a more powerful receiver. As for the sub, would you recommend going up from the PB-1000 to a PB-2000, or start with a PB-1000 and add a second one down the road (keeping in mind the room's total cu ft is around 2000)? I'll plan down the road for adding the 4 atmos but to stay closer to budget, I'm going to start with just a 5.1 for now and add the ceilings in later. I'm now looking at:

Receiver: Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 ch

Front: 2x Klipsch RP-6000F

Center: Klipsch RP-600C

Back: 2x Klipsch RP-500M
Sub: 1x SVS PB-2000 OR 2x SVS PB-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The 5050 Ultra Black is a great unit, it can display good blacks and contrast. But wall reflections (lights off scenario) can affect this aspect greatly.

To alleviate, dark color paint or fabric would need to be used. The area that is most recommended to be modified is about 2-8 feet around the screen (walls, ceiling and floor). On the sides retractable drapes are an option instead of an permanent setup.

If no room modifications to the walls/ceiling are going to be made, and/or the projector is going to be used with some lights on, an ALR or grey screen is an option. However, even with this type of screen the black levels/contrast will be inferior to a white screen in a modified room with no wall reflections.

The 5050UB is a pixel shifter(not a true 4K), which shifts it's (1080p) pixels twice to achieve around 4 million pixels. So it's not the sharpest 4K, even among other pixel shifters. Some people have complained that if standing too close the individual pixels can be seen. That being said, 13-17 feet for 120 inch would be too far.
It's important to note that the quality of the image (sharpness) will also depend on the source.
For an in depth discussion visit this thread, if you haven't already:

So don't buy a screen or decide on the seating distance, use it for a few weeks and get an idea of an acceptable screen diagonal and seating distance.

The room will be painted a very dark color (including ceilings). I'm not sure the wife is going to let me drop the white on the crown molding or base boards. I may just repaint them a flat/matte and have to deal with it. As for the white doors, I'll likely look at getting some kind of a black curtain that I can draw over them while viewing to cover the white.

Based on what you said as well as BIGmouthinDC, I'm now planning on using 135" instead of 120" for the screen size. This is realistically as big as I *think* that I can go. A 150" will fit, but the width measurements including the border of the one that I'm looking at comes to 137" on a 144" wall. This only leaves about 3.5 inches to each side of the screen. With the tower speakers that I'm planning to use, I fear they would overlap the screen a little on the sides. I am also now planing on using a Woven Acoustic Material screen so that I can mount the center channel behind (there's already a cut out on the wall that I may be able to just enlarge a bit), but I'm hesitant to start cutting in space on the wall for any more speakers. (plus I kinda like the look of the towers out in the room).

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
The rear firing tweeter of the Def Teck means they aren't a good match for a projection based dedicated room, which should have some absorption on the front wall.

I would suggest simply taking a look At BigmouthinDC's often used components, as a shortcut to value and maybe reconsider if 5.1.4 layout is perhaps in the budget, with that space.

Understood, everyone seems to recommend different speakers so I'm now looking at the above mentioned Klipsch Reference Premiere set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Actual quote from a young Best Buy sales guy. "I don't know why you would want a 1080P display there isn't any content to support it"

The best advice so far that has been mentioned is to hang the projector and shine it on the front wall. Experiment with seating positions and image size. Then buy a screen or if money is tight paint one or get some spandex and make one. 120 is not too big at 13 ft, you could go bigger or a better move is pull the first row up to 11 1/2 feet.

A spread of two rows for 13-17 ft viewing distances resulting in 4 ft difference is not enough for most seats what style were you planning? Depending on choice of seating the second row may not have an unobstructed view of the screen. That back riser is pretty short.

Not sure why you would want those tower speakers with built in subwoofers then buy a subwoofer. If your receiver is properly set up low frequency information will be sent to the subwoofer and nothing to the tower speakers, Your money would be better spent getting cheaper speakers without subwoofers and then go ahead and get your two SVS subs now. If you have any DIY skills you might want to consider putting kits together from DIYsoundgroup. More bang for your buck.

I'm a big fan of acoustically transparent screens, You can elevate the center channel where it can be clearly heard in the second row. If you can't see it you are not hearing the direct sound.

Receivers, I would buy a recertified Denon unit from acessories4less.com you will save a bunch

Thank you. I've taken most of your advice along with everyone else. As mentioned, I'm upping the screen to at least 135" but I just don't know how feasible 150" would be since it would almost completely fill the space available on the wall and I still want to have tower speakers to the sides. I've also gone with an acoustically transparent screen and will be placing the center channel behind it. As for seating, I just don't know yet. I'll definitely have a couch in front, but depending on how the projector hangs, there may be two solo seats on either side in the back with a table between. I'm also either going to upgrade the sub to a pb-2000 or go with 2 pb-1000's depending on the feedback you all suggest. Atmos will have to come later, I'm slightly over budget as-is. I also took your advice to check out accessories4less and am looking at a recertified Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 ch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
How far back does the left wall go before turning into the alcove? How deep (front to back) is the riser?

Riser is roughly 4 feet in depth, and the alcove starts roughly 12 feet back from the front/screen wall.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSSRT View Post

I've taken your advice and have specced out a new klipsch speaker setup along with a more powerful receiver. As for the sub, would you recommend going up from the PB-1000 to a PB-2000, or start with a PB-1000 and add a second one down the road (keeping in mind the room's total cu ft is around 2000)? I'll plan down the road for adding the 4 atmos but to stay closer to budget, I'm going to start with just a 5.1 for now and add the ceilings in later. I'm now looking at:

Receiver: Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 ch

Front: 2x Klipsch RP-6000F

Center: Klipsch RP-600C

Back: 2x Klipsch RP-500M
Sub: 1x SVS PB-2000 OR 2x SVS PB-1000

Regarding the speakers, I think that’s a fantastic setup. I do recommend you go and hear them first. Best Buy offers 14 day free returns so maybe even bring home a pair of towers to listen in your own room which is much better than a dealer.

Regarding the subwoofers, I recommend getting a single large one to start (The PB2000) and if that is not enough, or you need the room modes smoothed out, you can purchase a second one.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #10 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 7073 Post(s)
Liked: 6075
Quote:
I'll definitely have a couch in front, but depending on how the projector hangs, there may be two solo seats on either side in the back with a table between.
OK, so the couch will be the main seating and whatever you end up doing on the riser will be overflow seating, yes?
Quote:
I'm also either going to upgrade the sub to a pb-2000 or go with 2 pb-1000's depending on the feedback you all suggest.
Whatever your subwoofer budget, split it in two and get a pair of subs instead of a single sub, so that you end up with smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips) across your entire couch. Another thing you can do for smoother bass is have the listeners' ears 2/3 room length from the front wall.
Quote:
Riser is roughly 4 feet in depth, and the alcove starts roughly 12 feet back from the front/screen wall.
With your main seating well away from the back wall, you're an ideal candidate for a 7-speaker layout, with a pair of Side speakers just forward of the alcove and a pair of Rear speakers spread out on the back wall. Will give you wrap-around envelopment AND side-vs-rear separation in the surround field that is simply not possible with only one pair of surround speakers.

Sanjay
post #11 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
I also took your advice to check out accessories4less and am looking at a recertified Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 ch.
I have the 4300 in my theater now. Towers? what about SVS or Elac
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-H2a6bR...0aAvHEEALw_wcB

With the money you save on the Elacs you could get the second sub now and add a couple RSL ceiling speakers for Atmos. The reason for multiple subs is it helps even out the bass response in the room. Proper placement can help mitigate the natural nodes and nulls that will be present.
javan robinson likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Liked: 456
Good planning. I love the Denon 4400H. Retired my old 4311CI a few months ago. My situation is 75% music, in a 22x32x8 room that opens to the rest of the house. Klipsch towers(R-620F) some R-51M's here and there. Run three zones sometimes with a couple 2ch amps. The 4400H handles everything great. Good luck
post #13 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
As someone who has the Denon AVR-4400 (love this AVR) and went down the Klipsch route I would stay away from those speakers.. For what you get they are way overpriced..

After almost two years of reading up on and listening to demos of speakers, you are better off with DIYSG HTM-10 or 12's and some Volt 6's. Yes you have to assemble them, but I bet they will outperform what you can buy 10x over.. If you are not going with an AT screen then get a set of 1099's for your LCRs

Epson is selling a refurb 5040 UB for $1151 right now and it comes with a full warranty.. I don't think you can get a better projector for the money and there is little gain in the 5050 unless you are into gaming (10 ghz vs 18ghz being the biggest difference)

Take a look at the BIC America F12's.. You can get two of them for $440 on Amazon. Hell you can buy 4 of them for what you are spending on the PB-2000..

Anyways, just my $.02

-Chris

Last edited by PreciseD; 07-17-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
As someone who has the Denon AVR-4400 (love this AVR) and went down the Klipsch route I would stay away from those speakers.. For what you get they are way overpriced..

After almost two years of reading up on and listening to demos of speakers, you are better off with DIYSG HTM-10 or 12's and some Volt 6's. Yes you have to assemble them, but I bet they will outperform what you can buy 10x over.. If you are not going with an AT screen then get a set of 1099's for you LCRs

Epson is selling a refurb 5040 UB for $1151 right now and it comes with a full warranty.. I don't think you can get a better projector for the money and there is little gain in the 5050 unless you are into gaming (10 ghz vs 18ghz being the biggest difference)

Take a look at the BIC America F12's.. You can get two of them for $440 on Amazon. Hell you can buy 4 of them for what you are spending on the PB-2000..

Anyways, just my $.02

-Chris

Overpriced? Yes. That is why every Klipsch speaker I own was a 50% off at BB or Amazon.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Overpriced? Yes. That is why every Klipsch speaker I own was a 50% off at BB or Amazon.
Even at 50% off they are still not worth it IMO..

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
post #16 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 02:17 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
I am also now planing on using a Woven Acoustic Material screen so that I can mount the center channel behind (there's already a cut out on the wall that I may be able to just enlarge a bit)

Thoughts?

There is no reason to use a horizontal center channel speaker behind an acoustically transparent screen. By design they are a compromise compared to their vertical cousins in radiating sound evenly over the width of the room. You can use three identical towers/bookshelves and just mount your screen in front with an acoustically transparent screen wall. You want the tweeter of the center channel to be near the center line of the screen so that existing cutout is of limited value.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-17-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Even at 50% off they are still not worth it IMO..

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OK.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 PM

If the DIY route is out of the question than this setup seems right up your alley for a 5.1 setup

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-BIC-A.../dp/B073DXLWYV

These PL89ii speakers sound similar to their klipsch counterpart for a fraction of the price. And you get a very nice receiver as well.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is no reason to use a horizontal center channel speaker behind an acoustically transparent screen. By design they are a compromise compared to their vertical cousins in radiating sound evenly over the width of the room. You can use three identical towers/bookshelves and just mount your screen in front with an acoustically transparent screen wall. You want the tweeter of the center channel to be near the center line of the screen so that existing cutout is of limited value.

Could you elaborate a little on this for me? I was planning on using the WAG simply because there's no other space to mount the center channel without it being nearly to the floor. Are you saying it'd be better to just buy a 3rd tower for the front instead of the horizontal center channel?

As for placing the three speakers behind the screen - the screen I'm looking at is a fixed screen that mounts to the wall like a picture frame. So I'm assuming my only option is to cut out spaces in the wall for the speakers. Luckily, that wall is backed by an unfinished area so doing so is pretty easy.

Also, if I'm going to place the speakers all behind, then that opens the option to go from the 135" screen to 150" and call it a day. However, when using distance calculators for screen size, it shows the ideal screen size for the front row to be around 120", and the back row to be around 150". This was part of the reason I had gone with 135" as it would strike an even medium. In your opinion, would 150" be overkill for the room size? I know you've suggested getting the projector first and seeing how it looks, and I will, but I take your all's opinions seriously.

Last edited by TJSSRT; 07-18-2019 at 08:47 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

After almost two years of reading up on and listening to demos of speakers, you are better off with DIYSG HTM-10 or 12's and some Volt 6's. Yes you have to assemble them, but I bet they will outperform what you can buy 10x over.. If you are not going with an AT screen then get a set of 1099's for your LCRs

Anyways, just my $.02

-Chris
Quote:
If the DIY route is out of the question than this setup seems right up your alley for a 5.1 setup

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-BIC-A.../dp/B073DXLWYV

These PL89ii speakers sound similar to their klipsch counterpart for a fraction of the price. And you get a very nice receiver as well.

DIY for the speakers isn't really something I'm keen on - I'm totally out of my element there.

My head's honestly starting to spin a little in regards to the speaker information I'm reading/receiving. Every time I think I've got a solid spec down for speakers someone comes in recommending something else or saying I should save money by purchasing another brand (don't get me wrong, I appreciate the information immensely). I'm just really starting to struggle with making a decision... I wish I could find somewhere that just had every speaker setup to demo but most places near me just have a specific collection that never seems to have the ones I'd like to directly compare.
post #21 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Screen attached to frame mounted 10 inches in front of drywall. Shelves for bookshelf speakers (Triad), Acoustical treatment on entire front wall, screen frame surrounded by fabric wrapped frames to totally black out front wall hiding the speakers and acoustical treatment.

Depending on the height of the towers you may want to raise them up by putting on stands.

yes you can substitute a tower for a horizontal center channel design, It will superior acoustically but obviously look pretty odd if you don't hide it behind something.

Pictures of a recent project. This screen wall was 10 inches deep and the two HSU subs sat in front of the wall. There are some projects where the screen wall is several feet in front of the drywall. Depends on the room design and how big the speakers are.

You can put an AT screen directly on the wall but you need to recess the speaker(s)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7568.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2592222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7566.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	2592224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7574.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2592226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7582.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2592228  
post #22 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
DIY for the speakers isn't really something I'm keen on - I'm totally out of my element there.

My head's honestly starting to spin a little in regards to the speaker information I'm reading/receiving. Every time I think I've got a solid spec down for speakers someone comes in recommending something else or saying I should save money by purchasing another brand (don't get me wrong, I appreciate the information immensely). I'm just really starting to struggle with making a decision... I wish I could find somewhere that just had every speaker setup to demo but most places near me just have a specific collection that never seems to have the ones I'd like to directly compare.
Two years ago I was told "get the Klipsch" and I blindly followed and regretted.. That is why I spent the last 20 months or so researching speakers and going and listening to as many as I could. I went to as many stores as I could, I ordered a few sets from Amazon and I even asked a few fellows around me that have a HT if they would demo their setup.. Once I heard the HTM-12's I was SOLD!!!

Everyone experiences sound differently so I can only say that you need to find out what sound you like the best.. But IMO for a dedicated theater room I would pass on small store bought speakers considering your budget.

You might even find someone near you that would help you build the DIYSGs. If you are in the North Jersey/NY area I would let you use my workshop and help you out..

Last edited by PreciseD; 07-18-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #23 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Screen attached to frame mounted 10 inches in front of drywall. Shelves for bookshelf speakers (Triad), Acoustical treatment on entire front wall, screen frame surrounded by fabric wrapped frames to totally black out front wall hiding the speakers and acoustical treatment.

Depending on the height of the towers you may want to raise them up by putting on stands.

yes you can substitute a tower for a horizontal center channel design, It will superior acoustically but obviously look pretty odd if you don't hide it behind something.

Pictures of a recent project. This screen wall was 10 inches deep and the two HSU subs sat in front of the wall. There are some projects where the screen wall is several feet in front of the drywall. Depends on the room design and how big the speakers are.

You can put an AT screen directly on the wall but you need to recess the speaker(s)
How far is the front of the speaker to the back of the screen? Is there a minimum or guideline to follow?
post #24 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 09:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

a couple of inches for woven fabrics, it functions like speaker grill cloth more for perforated screens.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
a couple of inches for woven fabrics, it functions like speaker grill cloth more for perforated screens.
Is that the same for Milliskin?
post #26 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I've never owned or skinned a Milli so hard to tell.
PreciseD likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 07-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Is that the same for Milliskin?
Yes, a couple inches for the Milliskin spandex as well.
PreciseD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page