AVSforum community project - Scalable HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
AVSforum community project - Scalable HT

People have given a huge amount of time to designing sub boxes/horns VBSS, submaximus, picowrecker etc as community projects.
How about we do an AVSforum home theatre scalable home theatre template? Im going to call it the AVS master HT.
Im happy to do all the drawing in sweet home 3d all through the process, ill be building a house in 2021 and looking to do a 30x21 foot theatre and wanting to share it with the community.
Im taking most of my ideas from Rod Gervais, 'home recording studio build it like the pros' and the dozens of HT build threads on here ive read start to finish.

Comment if your in, always open to feedback and lets see how this thread evolves, im thinking we need to decide the options in some order and ill draw and redraw as we go.

i.e
Step one

ideal dimension ratio including height

step two

stage/riser options/ soffits etc

Step 3

Soundproofing

step 4

speaker + equipment locations for multiple setups e.g 5.1.2 to 9.x.6

step 5

Sound control i.e. bass traps and locations

step 6

finishing materials i.e lights, wall/floor coverings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5848 Post(s)
Liked: 5417
IMHO step two and three are out of order and you are missing Electrical, HVAC, Video design, System Calibration, and Media sources/devices.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Step One is you start with a general idea of a preferred seating layout and the individual seat.

That plants eyes and ears 3D-wise,and then can explore what fits in that space and start looking at things like speaker angles, speaker off axis performance, screen size,
proper sight lines, and proper separation of seating and surround speakers/overhead speakers.

I honestly doubt a sound recording studio book is a good means to a higher end home theater design. The internet is loaded with beautiful rooms where an experienced
eye/ear can tell there have been many a poor choice or bad compromise made.

Big rooms loaded with multiple rows are indeed $caleable. The money quotient goes through the roof, if you care about audio quality in a third row, As does proper cooling,
proper sightlines, seating costs. Which kind of brings things full circle, to preferred seating layout. That room size while stellar, is not a beginner's room. A professional design
would be smart move to prevent expensive mistakes and do-overs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page