Need ideas! Increase screen size/ redesign - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 08-04-2019, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Need ideas! Increase screen size/ redesign

Hey all I have this as my home theater right now. It has a 106” projector screen. I just upgraded to a jvc nx5 4k projector and with the added resolution I am considering going to a bigger screen. Could go to 130” and not have to move my projector back much but it will require a rebuild. Currently thinking of sliding my built ins to the sides more and removing the columns and cutting the recessed screen bigger and doing a custom screen with elite screens cinewhite material. I’m just not sure on what I should do to make it cool. Something with my speakers recessed. I am a wood worker builder by trade and have any tool I would ever need and can build anything. Anyone have cool ideas on what I could build down here. We have had the columns for about 8 years and wouldn’t mind a redesign. The front wall is 18” off the back wall so I can In set the speakers easily. My seating is about 13-14 ft back so I think 130 would be a good size. I am open to any ideas so let me know if you have any. Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1FD8AD2-50BB-4E78-A7E0-4D5ECD6206A3_1564966767706.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2598568  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Acoustically transparent screen 2.35:1 that goes from the edge of the media rack to the edge of the equipment rack. Buy or build more subs and put them under the screen to act as a stand for your speakers.

At 13-14’ back, your screen should be 13-14’ diagonal.
post #3 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I agree with Steve, a black AT wall would look great, but since you're skilled maybe you could extend the AT wall from side to side, using the entire wall. You could still have shelves/media racks on each side, but those could be maybe also covered with black velvet.

Another easy upgrade could be to put black velvet on each side wall (let's say, the initial 24 or 36 inches), and maybe also on the ceiling. Or if not, maybe you could paint the ceiling and side walls, to avoid having white surfaces close to the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I originally was thinking of an AT screen but I am worried about it killing some of the quality of the native 4k projector. Those screens seem like they would knock down some of the sharpness. My brother in-law has a 135” AT screen and that is all I have seen of them so I don’t know much about them.
post #5 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking maybe something like this. I know the screen isn’t to scale at all ha ha. Everything would have alder trim around it. And I thought maybe I would build custom sub boxes and put them under the media racks built in the walls with speaker mesh over it. I’m not sure what to do yet. It’s fine how it is now. But a bigger screen would be pretty sweet!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	59E51469-6317-4000-9095-200748F38F6C_1565019405959.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2598844  
post #6 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I even thought of moving my speakers to the outside of the media cabinets then just cut my opening for the screen bigger. But I worry about having the side speakers too wide maybe? I like the idea of having my screen recessed a bit. Thanks for the ideas let me know what you guys think.
post #7 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5735 Post(s)
Liked: 5296
Looks like you are just moving all the front wall clutter around to accommodate a bigger screen. How about going for more of a theater looking space. If you are really concerned about the quality of your visual experience you wouldn’t have a white ceiling. I’m on the road but I probably have some pics I could send your way for ideas when I get home the end of the week.
Tedd likes this.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 892
That's a woodworker's approach to home theater. Those skills could be very applicable if you want to go more hardcore in audio and video performance.

You might give up 1-2% of razor sharpness with an AT screen, but your eyes might not even be able to see it, at the seating distance anyways.
The recessed center channel forced down low, is also costing you performance, with early reflections off the floor. The boxed in speakers in the
columns aren't doing you any favors either. And just how are the sap echoes off the wainscoting?

So if this is one row of seating, then it could be an framework coupled with laced in AT fabric since you obviously have solid building skills. The question really
might be about the look, but those woodworking skills could hidden with fabric, with something along these lines.

I gather you are zooming? Maybe those building skills could be laced in AT fabric, and a mask wall, and a big 16x9 screen, with a sliding upper masking panel?
Now you could fix your front speaker spread, and raise the center channel. and hide some bass trapping in the front corners.

This Oceanic room is a pretty good example of not visually showcasing woodworking while gaining a lot of improvements. The construction aspect is buried, but
it's certainly there.

If you have depth up front, I'd reclaim it as part of the room, and then plant the seating at 2/3rds room depth for smooth audio response. Then juggle the AT space
depth, with an eye towards having the speakers 6" off the back side of an acoustically transparent screen.

What's outside the space? Media shelving could be hosted there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oceanic Showroom Australia.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2598862  
post #9 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Looks like you are just moving all the front wall clutter around to accommodate a bigger screen. How about going for more of a theater looking space. If you are really concerned about the quality of your visual experience you wouldn’️t have a white ceiling. I’️m on the road but I probably have some pics I could send your way for ideas when I get home the end of the week.
Yea I am open to any ideas. I built this setup years ago when I built my house. I was and am still pretty inexperienced and learning the home theater stuff. I have been considering painting my ceiling so it’s not white. I am open to any ideas that anyone has. I just recently upgrade to Dolby atmos so I have 7.2.4. Then I decided to get the jvc nx5 projector to upgrade from my old one. And I am blown away at the improvement! So that is what got me thinking. With the added resolution of 4k that maybe a bigger screen would be fun.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
That's a woodworker's approach to home theater. Those skills could be very applicable if you want to go more hardcore in audio and video performance.

You might give up 1-2% of razor sharpness with an AT screen, but your eyes might not even be able to see it, at the seating distance anyways.
The recessed center channel forced down low, is also costing you performance, with early reflections off the floor. The boxed in speakers in the
columns aren't doing you any favors either. And just how are the sap echoes off the wainscoting?

So if this is one row of seating, then it could be an framework coupled with laced in AT fabric since you obviously have solid building skills. The question really
might be about the look, but those woodworking skills could hidden with fabric, with something along these lines.

I gather you are zooming? Maybe those building skills could be laced in AT fabric, and a mask wall, and a big 16x9 screen, with a sliding upper masking panel?
Now you could fix your front speaker spread, and raise the center channel. and hide some bass trapping in the front corners.

This Oceanic room is a pretty good example of not visually showcasing woodworking while gaining a lot of improvements. The construction aspect is buried, but
it's certainly there.

If you have depth up front, I'd reclaim it as part of the room, and then plant the seating at 2/3rds room depth for smooth audio response. Then juggle the AT space
depth, with an eye towards having the speakers 6" off the back side of an acoustically transparent screen.

What's outside the space? Media shelving could be hosted there.
I don’t want to relocate the media stuff cause all my wiring is already there. The wall behind the cabinet and to the right is concrete foundation wall. This is pretty much a dedicated home theater but still a family room at the same time. I am planning to get a new couch that will be 2’ in from each side wall. And just have one row. I do like the idea of putting the speakers all behind the screen and that would make things look simple and clean. I just worry about the visual performance a bit, mostly because I have no experience with those screens. Just looking at my brothers screen up close and how it’s woven turns me off on those screens. I’m not too bothered having my center below the screen What are some recommended lower price screens even diy is fine. I should add some acoustic sound panels down the walls too that would help tighten the sound. We do want to scrap the columns and wood work below and around the screen for something different.

Thanks do much for all the input you guys are awesome!
post #11 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I have also thought of doing black glass doors over the built in cabinets to clean up the look some.
post #12 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Glass is never a good idea acoustically or visually due to reflections.
gibson61 likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-05-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #13 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Glass is never a good idea acoustically and visually due to reflections. You could cover with fabric panel doors to blend with a revised decor theme.
post #14 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 575
post #15 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No experience with that material... but it always seemed intriguing. Want to be our guinea pig?
post #16 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

There a good point. Could get weird reflections off the glass.
post #17 of 43 Old 08-05-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Do you guys have experience with acoustic transparent vs a regular screen with a 4k projector. I am wondering how the quality is comparing the two
post #18 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Order samples of the screen fabric from SeymourAV, Elite, silver ticket, screen innovations

Prop them up on your screen and let your eyes answer that question. I like for my projects and use Woven AT screens.
post #19 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Certain spandex weaves get high praise if you are going to make your screen frame and/or mount fabric yourself. I haven't made it to that point this time around so no direct experience, but I'd check our diy screen section here and consider adding it to material samples to order since it's inexpensive.
post #20 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Order samples of the screen fabric from SeymourAV, Elite, silver ticket, screen innovations

Prop them up on your screen and let your eyes answer that question. I like for my projects and use Woven AT screens.
I have samples from elitescreens and Seymour on the way. I also ordered a sample of the spandex it seems some people are using to make screens. We will see what looks best to my eyes. Thanks for the advice
Tedd likes this.
post #21 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've always liked the looks of Pocoloco's blend of family room and acoustically transparent screen/screen wall but with a family room look.

Large glass panels can also leak bass, act as a low bandpass filter, so the challenge is how to effectively deal with them, in a family room where light is
desirable.

I too use a woven AT screen, and am very happy with it. In the hands of skilled DIY'er, you can really leverage a lot of advantages, including costs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10998281533_4b2972c8df_b.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2599848   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocoloco 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	2599850   Click image for larger version

Name:	10998218184_cd7fc69d2f_b.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2599852  
post #22 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I've always liked the looks of Pocoloco's blend of family room and acoustically transparent screen/screen wall but with a family room look.

Large glass panels can also leak bass, act as a low bandpass filter, so the challenge is how to effectively deal with them, in a family room where light is
desirable.

I too use a woven AT screen, and am very happy with it. In the hands of skilled DIY'er, you can really leverage a lot of advantages, including costs.

That looks real nice! I have been reading up on the spandex people talk about. And that would be cheap and I could always do a diff material later. Just not sure exactly what I want the front wall to look like. Before I wanted nice wood work like I did. I kinda feel a screen between the two built ins may be kinda plain... but I don’t know. Lots of ideas going through my mind!
post #23 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You might want to start yourself an idea folder. Just pick out ideas of various rooms that appeal to you. An idea being as big as whole room's look, or as small as
a little detail in a room as that you might dismiss at first, due to it not being a look that appeals to you.

I haven't seen a Spandex screen firsthand, but that might be a very inexpensive first step to woven material.

Myself, I prefer a very plain front wall. Just a video image floating on a black hole of a front wall. Nothing to light up in front of a wall, such as a speaker lighting up due to
light coming off the screen. I also like the cost factor since it means I can shift money I didn't spend on a stage to something else. something else can be quite substantial in
the hands of someone who can build something.

One other idea is to check out the local area meets section of AVS, and see if anything is happening around you. Some networking can be pretty eye opening and seeing what
others are doing, is rather fun.
post #24 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Now I am kinda thinking to try a 130” spandex screen and then put the speakers behind it. And over my equipment and movie shelves build a door with black speaker mesh over it. I think I like the idea of not having the lights showing on the equipment.
BIGmouthinDC and Tedd like this.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Do a screen wall with a stage in front. Build a bunch of subs and use them as speaker stands. Leave the amp rack but cover it up so it wont shine lights through your screen or move it to the back side of the room.

Throw a soffit around the ceiling let you run your wires easily to the screen. Add some lighting in the soffit LEDs with crown to make the ceiling pop and or add down lights in the soffit itself encasing the room. Paint that soffit and ceiling black and throw a star ceiling up if your feeling fancy that always makes it look like a real theater and its a huge wow factor. Add two rows of seating on a riser with lights. Throw some chair rail around the walls and paint it darker colors. Add acoustic treatments around the room and boom theater.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #26 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Do a screen wall with a stage in front. Build a bunch of subs and use them as speaker stands. Leave the amp rack but cover it up so it wont shine lights through your screen or move it to the back side of the room.

Throw a soffit around the ceiling let you run your wires easily to the screen. Add some lighting in the soffit LEDs with crown to make the ceiling pop and or add down lights in the soffit itself encasing the room. Paint that soffit and ceiling black and throw a star ceiling up if your feeling fancy that always makes it look like a real theater and its a huge wow factor. Add two rows of seating on a riser with lights. Throw some chair rail around the walls and paint it darker colors. Add acoustic treatments around the room and boom theater. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Those are some good ideas. I was talking to my wife last night telling her I need acoustic panels to stop the echo in the room and about painting the ceiling black to get some more light control. We will see if she will let me ha ha
post #27 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntmx24 View Post
Those are some good ideas. I was talking to my wife last night telling her I need acoustic panels to stop the echo in the room and about painting the ceiling black to get some more light control. We will see if she will let me ha ha
Tell her my wife said you should do it.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #28 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntmx24 View Post
Tell her my wife said you should do it. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Ha ha. Yea we were talking about how we do nothing but movies in this room anyway. We will see.
post #29 of 43 Old 08-14-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a little update on making room for a bigger screen. I widened the opening for the builtins and built a cubby connected to it to set the speakers in. I ordered a 125” screen but with the size I could go 135” if I ever wanted too. I decided to go with a non acoustic transparent screen to retain as much brightness on the picture. I did get a sample from Seymour and the xd material seemed to be pretty dang good at keeping the brightness up. I plan to build a black mesh frame to go over the center speaker and also a mesh door to go cover the side speakers and equipment. Someday I want to build custom subwoofers and put them into the wall below on each side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24D968A6-B7A5-4EC8-B52A-CF6CE117ADD6_1565792070280.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	2602836  
post #30 of 43 Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

I also picked up a new couch!