AT (Acoustically Transparent) Theater build thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes

post #421 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I would say WAF although it does open a can of worms since she wants carpet all around and I just finished convincing to go with LVP all around because I want it to be waterproof. Now I will need to go and sell different color LVP unless I can use dark all around.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think you can go with a low cut pile carpet in the theater, which would be better for acoustics anyway. There are basement friendly carpet and pad vapor barriers that can line the floor (besides the standard concrete sealer you need to use) plus padding grades for basement environments that resist dampness, mold and mildew.

Then the wife can have whatever for the rest of the basement.
rboster likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
How will basement look with two different lvp colors?

Fine. Because the theater doors will be closed most of the time. The human brain doesn't have much color retention anyway and so once you're in the theater space you won't be going... wait a minute, the flooring doesn't match (color or type) with the rest of the basement (especially since it doesn't sound like it will be themed to the theater anyway).

post #423 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Fine. Because the theater doors will be closed most of the time. The human brain doesn't have much color retention anyway and so once you're in the theater space you won't be going... wait a minute, the flooring doesn't match (color or type) with the rest of the basement (especially since it doesn't sound like it will be themed to the theater anyway).
Also thinking about using gray wall outlets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Quote:
Also thinking about using gray wall outlets.

I'm a gray wall fan...more neutral. Also, a consideration .....gray is the new hot color for interior walls. We just sold our house this summer....the agent encouraged us to paint our two front rooms more neutral and suggested gray (the current preferred color choice)...we heard this from more than one person.
post #425 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I'm a gray wall fan...more neutral. Also, a consideration .....gray is the new hot color for interior walls. We just sold our house this summer....the agent encouraged us to paint our two front rooms more neutral and suggested gray (the current preferred color choice)...we heard this from more than one person.
I mean the outlets will be gray. Wall will.be dark burgundy tone.

post #426 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 1809
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The suggestion to go as dark as possible for the Flooring is well advised.....I'm certain you can find a LVP in a dark Grey, with minimal highlights.

You do realize that with hard Flooring you will need some heavy Throws to stymie the "ringing" that such Floors usually introduce. Hard Flooring in a Theater is not the norm....or even advisable. I understand your desire for such, given the Theater's penchant for leakage....but darn...a good quality Dark Indoor/Outdoor with extra thick Pad would be perfectly acceptable in your case. Better than the Vinyl because any water that get's under Vinyl isn't gonna want to evaporate. IDOD Carpet will "Gas Out" moisture.

I hope you fall away from the Black Ceiling suggestion...and consider the ultra Dark Grey instead. If you do go w/Black, use a Color such as Disney's Mouse Ears in a good quality Flat Acrylic Latex (aka: Primer -Paint) and have the Tech add more Lamp Black and Raw Umber so as to saturate the shade.

Then Spray. A very deep Grey is much more appealing to look at, and yet suppresses reflections "as good as" any Black.

If you get down to using the darkest Grey LVP you can find (...or IDOD carpet...) you can then focus attention on the Wall / Ceiling Combo.

A very Dark Grey Ceiling w/Dark Burgundy Walls and matching Dark Grey Grey Trim would look splendid. Burgundy & Black will look pretty dismal...ugly IMO.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #427 of 947 Old 10-14-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The suggestion to go as dark as possible for the Flooring is well advised.....I'm certain you can find a LVP in a dark Grey, with minimal highlights.

You do realize that with hard Flooring you will need some heavy Throws to stymie the "ringing" that such Floors usually introduce. Hard Flooring in a Theater is not the norm....or even advisable. I understand your desire for such, given the Theater's penchant for leakage....but darn...a good quality Dark Indoor/Outdoor with extra thick Pad would be perfectly acceptable in your case. Better than the Vinyl because any water that get's under Vinyl isn't gonna want to evaporate. IDOD Carpet will "Gas Out" moisture.

I hope you fall away from the Black Ceiling suggestion...and consider the ultra Dark Grey instead. If you do go w/Black, use a Color such as Disney's Mouse Ears in a good quality Flat Acrylic Latex (aka: Primer -Paint) and have the Tech add more Lamp Black and Raw Umber so as to saturate the shade.

Then Spray. A very deep Grey is much more appealing to look at, and yet suppresses reflections "as good as" any Black.

If you get down to using the darkest Grey LVP you can find (...or IDOD carpet...) you can then focus attention on the Wall / Ceiling Combo.

A very Dark Grey Ceiling w/Dark Burgundy Walls and matching Dark Grey Grey Trim would look splendid. Burgundy & Black will look pretty dismal...ugly IMO.
Thanks so much. Actually the black ceiling was based on samples we saw today where she showed us the black and burgundy vs gray and burgundy and we (me and wife) really liked the look of black and burgundy shades more that gray with burgundy. I don't think there is a right answer here. I think it also depends on lighting. We liked the combination above and hence we wanted to go with that. With respect to vinyl vs carpet, ideally we wanted to have carpet all around but based on needing the floor to be waterproof are going with the vinyl. I can definitely add area rug if needed.

post #428 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 02:02 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
With respect to vinyl vs carpet, ideally we wanted to have carpet all around but based on needing the floor to be waterproof are going with the vinyl.

Let me reissue this alert. Waterproof means being damage "resistant" from spillage originating above the Floor....not from seepage that originates from below. White the material my not warp, it will trap and retain moisture underneath, leading to smell, mold, or "up seepage"between joints. I would thoroughly validate it's use under any circumstance that involves the possibility of it getting water / moisture underneath it.

Quote:
I can definitely add area rug if needed.

There is no "if needed..." . You "will need one". Plan accordingly.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #429 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Let me reissue this alert. Waterproof means being damage "resistant" from spillage originating above the Floor....not from seepage that originates from below. White the material my not warp, it will trap and retain moisture underneath, leading to smell, mold, or "up seepage"between joints. I would thoroughly validate it's use under any circumstance that involves the possibility of it getting water / moisture underneath it.

There is no "if needed..." . You "will need one". Plan accordingly.
Absolutely. I don't have any issues at the present time that has water seeping from below. But to be safe the installer recommended a vapor barrier yesterday. So let's see. Right now the cost seems the prohibiting factor as adding self leveling and then vinyl is adding to the cost.

post #430 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Quote:
Absolutely. I don't have any issues at the present time that has water seeping from below. But to be safe the installer recommended a vapor barrier yesterday. So let's see. Right now the cost seems the prohibiting factor as adding self leveling and then vinyl is adding to the cost.

What vapor barrier product are they recommending?
post #431 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
What vapor barrier product are they recommending?
https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...e-POL/10008736

This is for the lumber liquidators quote I am working with. The other local flooring company did not even mention a vapor barrier. The problem I am running into is about $800 of cost is being added due to levelling needed on the floor due to the rip out of the old tiles which has made part of the basement floor uneven. Added to the cost of Vinyl plank the cost is shooting up and it was never my intention to spend this much on flooring. I am wondering if I should risk it and just do carpet. However I am worried about water issues later ruining the carpet.

post #432 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6020 Post(s)
Liked: 5599
carpet for the win.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #433 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
carpet for the win.
What about water protection?

post #434 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks - the current basement contract uses soft white lights. If I want them to change it to daylight it's an extra $4.50 per light. Do I need to change it or can I come back later and don't like it, change by myself. These are for 6 inch cans.

post #435 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Folks - the current basement contract uses soft white lights. If I want them to change it to daylight it's an extra $4.50 per light. Do I need to change it or can I come back later and don't like it, change by myself. These are for 6 inch cans.

Man, those Jersey boys know how to suck every last penny from your wallet. Different color temperature bulbs don't cost more to purchase yourself, so why are they charging you more in the bid? They certainly don't cost the contractor any more either.
pkinneb likes this.

post #436 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man, those Jersey boys know how to suck every last penny from your wallet. Different color temperature bulbs don't cost more to purchase yourself, so why are they charging you more in the bid? They certainly don't cost the contractor any more either.
Don't know Dan. Can I just ask them to stick to the plan and I swap out later? Shouldn't be difficult to replace the bulbs in a recessed light isn't it

post #437 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Don't know Dan. Can I just ask them to stick to the plan and I swap out later? Shouldn't be difficult to replace the bulbs in a recessed light isn't it

That's what I'd do... then you can get the bulb temp you want and the quality level you think is best.

post #438 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got one more bad news. I had ordered two power inlets and extensions worth $75 that I wanted to use with the electrician tomorrow. Tossed it out along with trash today since I saw the yellow Amazon covers and had put them in a trash bag. My wife put the components in the same bag and I thought it was trash and threw it out this morning.

post #439 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Got one more bad news. I had ordered two power inlets and extensions worth $75 that I wanted to use with the electrician tomorrow. Tossed it out along with trash today since I saw the yellow Amazon covers and had put them in a trash bag. My wife put the components in the same bag and I thought it was trash and threw it out this morning.

I take it they're on the way to the dump now. Otherwise... start tearing through your garbage fast!!

post #440 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I take it they're on the way to the dump now. Otherwise... start tearing through your garbage fast!!
Ship has sailed Dan. I had to order another from Amazon. With electrician coming tomorrow I am just worried if it will reach on time although it shows a next day delivery. In the worst case I miss out on the electrician doing this and I need to do myself. Wondering how difficult it would be.

post #441 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I would just carpet the basement.. Get a quality pad that has a vapor barrier built in and call it a day... Most retailers install the carpet for free if you buy it from them, don't get suckered into buying the more expensive stuff because it has a "better warranty".. Most homeowners replace their carpets every 5 to 10 years, so that lifetime warranty is just a marketing scheme... Plus if you do not plan on living in your home for a long time then the ROI on the more expensive stuff isn't there..

For the spots that are uneven you can run a grinder with a cup wheel over the high spots and leave the low spots alone (as long as they are not craters)..

For the bulbs, there should be no reason they are charging you more, unless they already ordered them and they are charging you a restocking/reorder fee.. Personally I would stick with the warmer color (Soft white) as daylight bulbs are harsh and produce a fake "daylight" color (especially LEDs)..

Last edited by PreciseD; 10-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #442 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Wondering how difficult it would be.

Not very. You just need a good electrical wire stripper with various gauges, a basic line tester, and be extra careful. Always make sure the panel breaker for the line you're working on is off and double check with the line tester. Watch vids on YouTube about electrical wiring. Also, look to see if there are instructions about how much bare copper wire you need exposed for the product you're using. Be sure not to nick or score the surface of the copper wiring (where the current travels) as that can lead to a weak electrical connection that can start to pop over time because the wire is overheating.

post #443 of 947 Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am exploring possibility of using carpet for the entire basement. In general for theater room what carpet is preferred? Color, thickness and material choice ideas are welcome. These are the choices I am going to probably choose between.

Last edited by genaccmiller; 10-16-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #444 of 947 Old 10-16-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks - where do contractors get off saying what they can and what they won't do when I pay the bill? I was recommended to look at the following by @Dan Hitchman

https://www.flooringinc.com/carpet/j...me-carpet.html

When I asked my carpet guy he says he does not work with this company and he will not do the install if I purchased this myself too. I am confused as to who the customer is. The reason I want to use my carpet guy is a) he does a good job b) I have used the carpet company in the past and c) he is willing to grind out the tile imperfections to make it flat before installing carpet. However if I want something it looks like I need to compromise even though I am paying the bill. Enough of my rant.

post #445 of 947 Old 10-16-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Electrical got completed today. As you see in the picture I have asked them to put black outlets.

JPeezy13 and pkinneb like this.
post #446 of 947 Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Folks - where do contractors get off saying what they can and what they won't do when I pay the bill?

https://www.flooringinc.com/carpet/j...me-carpet.html

When I asked my carpet guy he says he does not work with this company and he will not do the install if I purchased this myself too. I am confused as to who the customer is. The reason I want to use my carpet guy is a) he does a good job b) I have used the carpet company in the past and c) he is willing to grind out the tile imperfections to make it flat before installing carpet. However if I want something it looks like I need to compromise even though I am paying the bill. Enough of my rant.

Rant away...anytime it's justified.

Pretty simple really. Unless you hire a Contractor to install what you already have possession of.almost all want to sell the Carpet and juice up their bottom line....even if just by a couple $2-3 a yard.

If the Jobber your "Carpet Guy" gets his carpet from does not have the color and/or type you desire, and/or it's priced too high per sq.yard, he either must consider something else or be escorted to the door. Just being your "Carpet Guy" doesn't qualify him to force a product and price off on you. If you haven't looked at some Sample Boards from him, don't be so ready to demand a carpet from another source. Look first and if he can't supply something you want, then would be the time to make issue. (...you might have jumped the gun if you hadn't...)

Don't accept less than what you want at this juncture...even if it means a bit longer a delay for the project as a whole.

post #447 of 947 Old 10-17-2019, 08:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Joy carpets is a well known brand out of Georgia. They carry many theater themed carpets, the star pattern is probably one of their more conservative but popular styles. Here is a source, Alan participates regularly over on the theater accessories forum. https://www.htmarket.com/lighting--s...carpeting.html You will need to find someone willing to install it. That shouldn't be hard unless you are already under contract to use someone else.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #448 of 947 Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Joy carpets is a well known brand out of Georgia. They carry many theater themed carpets, the star pattern is probably one of their more conservative but popular styles. Here is a source, Alan participates regularly over on the theater accessories forum. https://www.htmarket.com/lighting--s...carpeting.html You will need to find someone willing to install it. That shouldn't be hard unless you are already under contract to use someone else.
Thanks. I will go back to my carpet guy to see if he has other ones that are dark colored and low pile at reasonable price. I don't have a contract yet with him but since my floor also needs to be levelled in the theater and adjacent room it may not make sense to go to multiple installers for theater room vs. rest of basement. So let me look at the choices he has to see if I can pick something dark.

post #449 of 947 Old 10-17-2019, 09:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you can convince your guy to work with you most of your local independent carpet shops that carry several brands will have access to Joy carpets. You won't find it at of the big box retailers.
post #450 of 947 Old 10-17-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you can convince your guy to work with you most of your local independent carpet shops that carry several brands will have access to Joy carpets. You won't find it at of the big box retailers.
He is a local guy but not willing to look at Joy. He says Joy will not work with retailers but will only work with end consumers. I have one tile guy coming tomorrow to give an estimate for levelling the floor and another carpet guy who is willing to work with a customer who buys Joy carpet to install. The reason I wanted to go with my carpet guy was because he said he can have his commerical guy handle levelling too. So my options are as follows.

1. My current carpet guy who can level the floor using a mix of ardex 10 self level for one area and ardex feather finish for another area. He is a sales guy so every question I ask he goes back to his commercial crew and comes back. He says the above will not make it fully flat but to an extent where a heavy pad and then carpet can be installed on it. His quote for this specific aspect of the job is $550. The disadvantage of going with this is that I will need to pick out from his collection (which could be good for theater; I just haven't seen it) and can't do Joy.

2. I have a local tile guy coming in tomorrow just to do a levelling estimate. The last time that he had come over he told me he uses something called a mapei porcelain tile mortar. He is doing a reestimate tomorrow. He does not use self levelling compound. His estimate was around $900.

3. I have another smaller carpet company coming tomorrow to take a look. They are willing to work with me if I want to buy Joy but as opposed to #1 i have never worked with them before. So I need to understand what their levelling quote would come to.

I have attached pictures of the floor imperfections.

Any recommendations on which option above is good?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page