AT (Acoustically Transparent) Theater build thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #511 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I'll be painting my room soon and have been hesitant over the years in using a sprayer (making a mess (over-spraying etc) with lackluster results being a newbie).
If both ceiling and walls are same color then they can be spray painted together. if one of them is different then you can spray paint one and use a roller for the other one because when you try to use spray paint on the other wall there is a tendency for the spray to jump to the wall that was sprayed. Atleast that's what I was told by my painter and I cant fight with him to do it some other way.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 10:45 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3795 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Corrected some information

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I'll be painting my room soon and have been hesitant over the years in using a sprayer (making a mess (over-spraying etc) with lackluster results being a newbie).

In truth, renting a Airless Sprayer and spraying a Room is super easy....it goes really fast, and the results can be perfect...or as perfect as the underlying surface will allow. Really it's just the amount of over spray such commercial units create that can be intimidating...and some inexpensive Masking Plastic & Tape is all that is needed to alleviate such concerns.

The Electric HVLP guns that come with larger Tips (2.5mm - 3mm) can spray normal paint onto walls quite easily, but they cannot do ceilings. That requires a Airless rig that siphons the paint out of a Gallo / 5 gallon container and pumps the paint "hydraulically" so you can turn the spray gun / wand vertically. It is amazing how much pumping pressure they can put out.

Graco makes a inexpensive commercial unit called the Magnum 5 Project Painter. It will last long enough for someone to do several Rooms and some outdoor work, but with it's lower price also comes a scheduled demise...it only lasts for about 125-gallons before the pressure seals in the Pump go south...and on that unit they cannot be replaced. But...considering what having a Pro Painter charge to do 3-4 Rooms or a Home's exterior would cost, the approx. $320.00 buy-in level for a Mag-5 seems entirely a value.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 10-21-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #513 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
If both ceiling and walls are same color then they can be spray painted together. if one of them is different then you can spray paint one and use a roller for the other one because when you try to use spray paint on the other wall there is a tendency for the spray to jump to the wall that was sprayed. Atleast that's what I was told by my painter and I cant fight with him to do it some other way.

Sheesh

It's all about effort, and so many Contractors don't want to expend any more effort that is required to reach out for your check.

When spraying 2 different colors, you always spray the Ceiling first, the mask off the perimeter of said ceiling with 36" wide Paper Masking & Tape. Then you spray the Walls using horizontal rows.

Rolling is only done when such darker high contrast Paints must be applied, because the Contractor doesn't really care much about anything but getting done. That is why so many homes have Roller Marks, sags, and other sundry flaws.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Sheesh

It's all about effort, and so many Contractors don't want to expend any more effort that is required to reach out for your check.

When spraying 2 different colors, you always spray the Ceiling first, the mask off the perimeter of said ceiling with 36" wide Paper Masking & Tape. Then you spray the Walls using horizontal rows.

Rolling is only done when such darker high contrast Paints must be applied, because the Contractor doesn't really care much about anything but getting done. That is why so many homes have Roller Marks, sags, and other sundry flaws.
You are right. If we need to do it perfectly, we need to do it ourselves.
post #515 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

See photos of red color on theater walls.

post #516 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OP............. Be sure to watch the Video on "How to Use..."

Here
Hello - can the floor polisher be used interchangeably with the maintainer? They have a floor polisher with a water attachment and a floor maintainer without water attachment.
post #517 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 447 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5953 Post(s)
Liked: 5513
now that the walls are painted a nice dark color. I see a full wall wash required after you remove the thin set. No matter what method you use to remove it, there will be dust. Plan for it.
post #518 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
now that the walls are painted a nice dark color. I see a full wall wash required after you remove the thin set. No matter what method you use to remove it, there will be dust. Plan for it.
Jeff - will wall wash remove the paint? Should I cover walls up with paper before using floor maintainer?

post #519 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 09:23 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'd drape the entire room in plastic or paper. Either that or pour on some kind of a floor leveling product that doesn't involve any dust.
post #520 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks - once you grind the floor what material do you use to fill up the ups and downs? Does Henry or ardex feather finish work?

post #521 of 724 Old 10-21-2019, 09:45 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you grind the floor there should be minimal variations that can be accommodated with the carpet pad.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-22-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #522 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Hello - can the floor polisher be used interchangeably with the maintainer? They have a floor polisher with a water attachment and a floor maintainer without water attachment.
Yes, the Floor Polisher's description mentions that the Floor Grinder Attachment works with the Floor Polisher.

Having that Water Fed Floor Polisher will be a great asset, Airborne Dust will be GREATLY diminished. But you should still drape the Walls in the inexpensive 0.7 Mil 12' x 9' Plastic Sheeting.

Quote:
Folks - once you grind the floor what material do you use to fill up the ups and downs? Does Henry or ardex feather finish work?
Once you use the Grinding Tool you should only have "downs" to fill....if needed. The Grinding will effectively leave you with a very smooth, flat surface.

post #523 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the Floor Polisher's description mentions that the Floor Grinder Attachment works with the Floor Polisher.

Having that Water Fed Floor Polisher will be a great asset, Airborne Dust will be GREATLY diminished. But you should still drape the Walls in the inexpensive 0.7 Mil 12' x 9' Plastic Sheeting.

Once you use the Grinding Tool you should only have "downs" to fill....if needed. The Grinding will effectively leave you with a very smooth, flat surface.
Yes but what do I use to fill the low spots? I saw ardex feather finish, mappei planipatch, mappei planiprep sc. I am also being recommended self levelling concrete. All to be used after using diamabrush because I know there will be low spots. Which product to use?

Last edited by genaccmiller; 10-22-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #524 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

post #525 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you. But all products here are self levelling concrete which costs about $30 a bag and covers about 40sq ft. For 350 sq ft I will need 9 bags or $270. Plus cost of installing machine and blade is about $150. Adding it comes to $420 as opposed to my carpet guy doing this for $550. Unless there is a cost save it may not be worth my effort. On the other hand the follow product is not that expensive and covers about 100 sq ft. Can I use this instead?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-54...2163/100551687

post #526 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 195
After you scrape your floor you probably wont need any self leveling... Maybe a small patch here and there using a bag of Henry 547, which is not self leveling, but rather you trowel in on...

Most likely you wont need any of it and once the carpet is down you will not notice small imperfections in the floor.

That 549 you posted is only 7lbs and will cost you a lot more in the long run than the 547 which is 25lbs...

Last edited by PreciseD; 10-22-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #527 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
After you scrape your floor you probably wont need any self leveling... Maybe a small patch here and there using a bag of Henry 547, which is not self leveling, but rather you trowel in on...

Most likely you wont need any of it and once the carpet is down you will not notice small imperfections in the floor.

That 549 you posted is only 7lbs and will cost you a lot more in the long run than the 547 which is 25lbs...
The 547 you linked is 25 lbs and covers 40 sq ft. The 549 I linked is 7lbs and covers 100 sq ft. The total cost for 547 for 350 sq ft is $227. The total cost for 549 for 350 sqft is $74. Thats why I selected it. Also if you take one 12x12 square which is the size of a tile, I see low levels in every tile across the entire 350 sq ft. So it is highly unlikely I may not need the compound above even after grinding.

post #528 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 01:22 PM

No... One 7 lb bag only covers 24 sqft at 1/8" and can only go up to 1/2" thick which would only cover 6 sqft..

If you are seriously trying to fix 1/8"-1/4" voids you are wasting your time..
pkinneb likes this.
post #529 of 724 Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
No... One 7 lb bag only covers 24 sqft at 1/8" and can only go up to 1/2" thick which would only cover 6 sqft..

If you are seriously trying to fix 1/8"-1/4" voids you are wasting your time..

Ha...I was composing a similar reply, but just accidentally closed the Thread window while pursing through suggested options.

Yes...the 549 is a "Skim Coat - Smoothing" compound that can also "Patch" a Crack or similar defect....it is NOT a true Leveling Compound.
It is not a cost effective choice.

After you Grind and sweep, you should be able to ascertain the low spots and if they are as shallow as I thing they will be, no mater what Compound you choose you won't be using more that 3 Bags at most....because you are not...or should not be coating the entire floor.

Below...in order, are the best choices.....again.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-55...2165/100549588

The Henry 549 is essentially the same as the 547 but it comes in 25 lb bags for only $6.00 more..........if you do find after Grinding that the recessed areas can be spot-treated and are only 1/4" or less. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-54...2158/100189852
PreciseD and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by MississippiMan; 10-22-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #530 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@MississippiMan lit a fire under me in asking me to do the grinding myself. I thought it was impossible task and I am setting myself up for failure. In any case I decided to give it a shot. I rented the equipment from home Depot and enlisted the help of my dear wife for sweeping off the dust. I did not want to screw up the theater room. So I started with the other room where also tiles were stripped out and the surface was uneven. I thought you had to use the grinding tool in a left to right motion and go from beginning of room to end of room. However when I started it just catapulted from my hand and hit a pillar sheetrock and tore open a small piece at the bottom. This will need to be spackled and repainted. So I stopped and tried again. This time it was a bit better but there was no way I could control the direction in which it was going. At the speed at which it rotated it looked like it had a mind of its own. That's when I realized there is no way I am going to be able to do a sweeping motion from left to right and right to left and from front of room to back. So I changed my approach and just targeted the high spots and hit them. The results seem satisfactory. I now only see indents at some places in the floor that can now be filled up. It is probably not close to perfect but I think this should be sufficient for a carpet install. Please take a look at the attached pictures and let me know your thoughts. Theater room is next.

Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #531 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Kudos to you!

I'm glad you worked out the right method. After the Floor Maintainer tried to go it's own way, you probably recalled I said...like shown in the videos...that you had to use a slight circular motion, starting in an area with the least amount of roughness and slowly working your way out from there. Otherwise, the machine would catch too much of the surface irregularities and jump out in the direction of the rotation.

So now things must look a lot more tractable....and you can also subtract the extra expense the Carper Contractor was going to charge you to do a less satisfactory job...one that simply was going to try to level-up the floor to match all the high points.

post #532 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 AM

If there is any spots you missed you can get one of these and manually remove the thinset.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-14-i...900Q/100147899

I am glad to see that you are moving in the right direction and taking matters into your own hands. That is the only way you will learn to not only be comfortable doing said tasks, but actually being able to accomplish them.
post #533 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
It's hard to tell in pictures but I bet a nice pad and carpet will be all you need. For the theater room I think you will be very glad you are using carpet!
post #534 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Please...hang the Plastic higher on the Wall in that Red Theater Room! Those are 9' x 12 sheets...at least fold them in 1/2 so you will have 4.5' high dust protection.

Don't disregard that advice even if the Floor Machine and water insertion seems to be keeping dust down to negligible levels.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

post #535 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please...hang the Plastic higher on the Wall in that Red Theater Room! Those are 9' x 12 sheets...at least fold them in 1/2 so you will have 4.5' high dust protection.

Don't disregard that advice even if the Floor Machine and water insertion seems to be keeping dust down to negligible levels.
Oops.....just saw this and we are done. I will wipe down the walls.

post #536 of 724 Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished grinding the theater room too. When I was 20pct through the job I found the machine was not grinding the floor properly. When I turned over the machine I found that all blades were worn out. So I had to make another run to home Depot to obtain a replacement tool.

As you see in the attached pics the high spots are ground out but there are several low spots. I am thinking of applying a feather finish for the whole floor to have a uniform layer. Check the video below for a complete before and after picture.

Total cost of equipment and supplies (excluding shop vac which I already had) - Less than $150
Satisfaction of doing something tangible - Priceless

List of equipment and supplies

1. Floor polisher with water tank (rental from home Depot)
2. Diama brush coating removal tool (rental from home Depot)
3. 0.7mil 9x12 paint protection sheets - 4
4. Respirator masks
5. Thumb tacks to fix the protection sheets to the wall
6. Shop vac to vaccum all dust

brazensol, pkinneb and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by genaccmiller; 10-24-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #537 of 724 Old 10-24-2019, 05:20 AM

I don't see any noticable low spots.. once that carpet pad and carpet are down you aren't going to notice anything..
pkinneb likes this.
post #538 of 724 Old 10-24-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't see any noticable low spots.. once that carpet pad and carpet are down you aren't going to notice anything..
Yes they are not noticeable but a few spots remain where it has some indentation. I have also called my carpet guy tomorrow to take a look. He is planning to install a premium pad (1/2 inch thickness).

pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by genaccmiller; 10-24-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #539 of 724 Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Any suggestions on material for side, top and bottom panels? I already know of spandex and Jeff suggested another company as well. I am also hearing other options like speaker grill cloth, GOM, Joann fabrics etc. and want to understand my options.

post #540 of 724 Old 10-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions on material for side, top and bottom panels? I already know of spandex and Jeff suggested another company as well. I am also hearing other options like speaker grill cloth, GOM, Joann fabrics etc. and want to understand my options.
https://www.fabric.com/find?SearchTe...etic+Mesh+Knit

I bought this stuff in black and charcoal. I signed up for emails to get a 10% off coupon too..

easier pill to swallow than that stuff that is $10-11 a yard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page