Closet Rack Cooling Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Closet Rack Cooling Advice

I could use a bit of guidance as to the best way to cool my AV rack. The rack is placed in a laundry room closet with 3 AC receivers, network hardware, Control4, some Apple TVs etc. Thoughts so far:

-Cut hole in door to install ventilation grille
-3U triple fan intake on the bottom of the rack
-inline duct fan in the closet ceiling venting into a large open attic or somehow connect to existing exhaust fan duct from laundry room

Let me know if any easier/better suggestions...photo attached. thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2602404  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5648 Post(s)
Liked: 5217
you could just cut an inch or less off the bottom of the door if you didn't want to look a grill messing up the appearance of that beautiful wood door. A one inch gap at the bottom is about the same as a 4x8 hole in the door. Looks like you might already have somewhat of a gap at the bottom now which is common so you just need to make it a little bigger. I would install your other two parts of the plan, and see if you need more of a gap to keep the closet cool. It is generally against code to run an exhaust fan into the attic space. You should connect it either outside, a return duct or another exterior exhaust duct. If you tap into a bathroom exhaust you should install back flow preventer dampers for obvious reasons. You should worry about lint from a laundry exhaust duct. The easiest is just take it directly outside, The most energy efficient is to connect it to a return air duct.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-13-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
you could just cut an inch or less off the bottom of the door if you didn't want to look a grill messing up the appearance of that beautiful wood door. A one inch gap at the bottom is about the same as a 4x8 hole in the door. Looks like you might already have somewhat of a gap at the bottom now which is common so you just need to make it a little bigger. I would install your other two parts of the plan, and see if you need more of a gap to keep the closet cool. It is generally against code to run an exhaust fan into the attic space. You should connect it either outside, a return duct or another exterior exhaust duct. If you tap into a bathroom exhaust you should install back flow preventer dampers for obvious reasons. You should worry about lint from a laundry exhaust duct. The easiest is just take it directly outside, The most energy efficient is to connect it to a return air duct.
Ok great. Thats a preferable solution. I'll see if there is an easy way to get into a return air duct. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfunk View Post
I could use a bit of guidance as to the best way to cool my AV rack. The rack is placed in a laundry room closet with 3 AC receivers, network hardware, Control4, some Apple TVs etc. Thoughts so far:

-Cut hole in door to install ventilation grille
-3U triple fan intake on the bottom of the rack
-inline duct fan in the closet ceiling venting into a large open attic or somehow connect to existing exhaust fan duct from laundry room

Let me know if any easier/better suggestions...photo attached. thanks for the help.
One counter argument in support of the grille is that you could then filter the air before it enters the equipment closet. The filtration would be further improved if you added a threshold or automatic door bottom to seal the bottom of the door and thus force all of the incoming air through the filter. I agree with Big that a good option would be to tap into a return line for the exhaust air so you are not sucking outdoor air into the home anytime you cool the equipment closet.

Mike
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
One counter argument in support of the grille is that you could then filter the air before it enters the equipment closet. The filtration would be further improved if you added a threshold or automatic door bottom to seal the bottom of the door and thus force all of the incoming air through the filter. I agree with Big that a good option would be to tap into a return line for the exhaust air so you are not sucking outdoor air into the home anytime you cool the equipment closet.

Mike
Filtration would be beneficial, but remember that it will restrict airflow depending on the filter in question. That needs to be factored into your cooling system design, and you'll need to regularly clean and/or replace those filters to avoid serious problems. It's even more important if you're dealing with a tightly sealed enclosure. I'm pretty confident you'd need fans to pull air through the filter.

Middle Atlantic has a really interested whitepaper (middleatlantic.com/-/media/brands/map/resources/white-paper/map-whitepaper-thermalmanagement.ashx-- I can't post links due to my post count; I probably should have made a few posts in the last 8 years) on the subject that you might want to read through.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 07:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5648 Post(s)
Liked: 5217
get whole house filtration rather than trying to attack it at one closet. Electronic gear failing due to dust is just natures way of saying it is time to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page