Sounds proofing outlets... this person doesn't know what he is doing?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PreciseD

post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sounds proofing outlets... this person doesn't know what he is doing??

I live in a condo. My unit is an end unit and on the 2nd floor which means there are no units above me. It used to be piece and quite where I live but recently a new RUDE/LOUD neighbor moved in next to me and after calling security etc the noise continues.

I'm flipping this condo so keeping COST low is a huge issue but I must "sound proof" this wall for my sanity. I have to live in this condo for at least another year or two... I called quietrock and they referred me to a company who just sent out a guy to give me an estimate to install quietrock or 2 5/8 sheetrock with green glue.... after researching I'm still confused which of the two options would be best. I have concrete walls but TONS of noise comes through it!

I have 7 outlets on the wall. The guy they just sent out to my condo had NO IDEA sound can easily travel through outlets (that's a red flag!!). He then said there is NOTHING that can be done to "sound proof" my 7 outlets because he "can't access the electrical boxes" since my neighbor's unit is on the other side of the wall that needs to be sound proofed he said... so his plan for my outlets is to do NOTHING. I then found out you can easily buy gaskets that fills the gaps between the cover plate if you are in situation where you can't have access to BOTH sides of the electrical box.... is this good enough??

It seems I should NOT hire this person because they don't appear to know what on earth they are doing?? I reside in Palm Beach, FL and having trouble finding knowledgeable person for this!

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5648 Post(s)
Liked: 5217
if you strip your drywall and start over you can do wonderful things to the outlets and other areas that may be leaking sound that aren't visible now. As an alternative you could do Minor surgery on the wall by cutting holes large enough to insert your hand and back butter the outlet boxes with putty pads. You could also look around for other issues. Then patch the walls and repaint. After patching you could add a second layer of DW with GG. I need to warn you that I don't think the 7 outlets are the main source of your problem but I haven't inspected your wall nor do I know how it was constructed. https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Fire-Ra...54123927&psc=1
If you want to test my theory that the outlets aren't the issue, you could unplug everything and cover the outlets with something dense and see what happens.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I bet they drilled some holes in your concrete wall and never filled them.

Going to have to agree with Jeff that the outlets are most likely not the issue. I'd strip the old drywall and fill all voids in concrete, use those outlet putty strips, install some pink stuff and put two layers of 5/8 with green glue between them and caulk all seams with sealant.
bluewaves likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5648 Post(s)
Liked: 5217
depending on the construction design of the walls (both sides) isolation may be warranted if walls touch and vibration is being transferred between units. common method of isolating vibration is mounting a double layer of 5/8 drywall on a isolation clip and furring channel system. I have used this method many times for home theater construction.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-14-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page