The Belgian Build: Jay's Place - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1 of 62 Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Belgian Build: Jay's Place

Hey guys,

after reading a lot through the forum, I thought it was time to fire up my own build thread.

I'm 35 years old, from Belgium of course, and currently building a house together with my girlfriend. House should be finished around 1st of December 2019, and I will have the full attic (11,8 x 4,2m) for the home theater. I have 2 other threads (speaker forum and also this forum) which gave me a lot of answers already, but I will put all the general questions and updates in here.

Construction started 2 weeks ago:

Theater layout en screen wall:

Components:

- Optoma UHD65 (already have it)
- 3x Klipsch RP-6000F for center, left and right
- Klipsch RP-600M for surrounds
- 4x Micca M-8C for Atmos
- 2x SVS PB-2000
- Denon X4500H

- DIY 128" 2.35:1 spandex screen

Looking forward to this !!! Should be up and running in the theater before Christmas. Never did any construction and/or electrics, so this is going to be exciting .
pkinneb and HunterG like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Why not put your mains behind an AT wall as well? Your sound staging will be better and aesthetics will be better too (IMO) w/o two random speakers just sitting to the edges of the wall. Also, I would think that positioning your rear surrounds further back would also help with sound staging.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #3 of 62 Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
Why not put your mains behind an AT wall as well? Your sound staging will be better and aesthetics will be better too (IMO) w/o two random speakers just sitting to the edges of the wall. Also, I would think that positioning your rear surrounds further back would also help with sound staging.
Hey man, thanks for commenting. I really really (did I say really) want to see these Klipsch speakers. Been waiting for years to buy them until we got our own home where I will have room to put them. So there would have to be a massive improvement in sound quality for me to put them behind the screen. I am open for debate on that nevertheless.

I followed the Dolby Atmos suggestion for surrounds, which puts them more or less where I've put them on the drawing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5717 Post(s)
Liked: 5281
looks like the speakers are placed at the proper 60 degrees and angled toward the MLP. I'd just nudge a bit closer to the the screen frame and be prepared to use some acoustical treatments on the side walls to tame (not eliminate) the audio reflections. If you wanted to hide those speakers you could build acoustically transparent architectural features on the left and right of the screen.

there is a pro plan posted in this thread with the idea demonstrated.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ll-design.html
SuperFist likes this.
post #5 of 62 Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

I can perfectly build the AT wall as if the speakers would go behind it, so that I can just move them later on when I maybe decide that behind the wall is better.

I still see people putting both their subs up front, below or behind the screen. I read that that is less optimal, so I'm currently sticking with 1 in the front and 1 in the back. There will be room behind the wall to place both if needed later on.
post #6 of 62 Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thinking about the AT wall design and construction, never done that before.

There will be 1x SVS PB-2000 sub behind the screen. Does it matter if the sub is faced towards MLP or if it's turned 90° and firing left or right ? In the 2nd case, I gain some space because of the dimensions of the sub, and can move the AT wall 10cm more backwards.
post #7 of 62 Old 08-25-2019, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Made a first draft for the false wall. Went with basically 4 separate panels (bottom, top, lef and right), that need to be wrapped in probably black velvet. Bottom panel will go in first and will be fixed to the floor. Then build up the 2 vertical supports and 1 big horizontal support to attach the screen to. Lastly the side panels and top panel can go in, probably attached to the ceiling and side walls where possible.

How does this look ?

p3bham likes this.
post #8 of 62 Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so I put in RP-8000F's, these just look much better.

So open questions:
1. Any feedback on the false wall construction ?
2. There will be 1x SVS PB-2000 sub behind the screen. Does it matter if the sub is faced towards MLP or if it's turned 90° and firing left or right ?
3. Best to put the sub on ear level ?

post #9 of 62 Old 08-27-2019, 10:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I always do 4 panels, left and right of the screen, floor to ceiling, below the screen and above the screen. You have the left and right sitting on a panel that goes wall to wall, I feel my way is more manageable.
post #10 of 62 Old 08-27-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I always do 4 panels, left and right of the screen, floor to ceiling, below the screen and above the screen. You have the left and right sitting on a panel that goes wall to wall, I feel my way is more manageable.
Thanks, why would you say your design is more manageable ?

I think my top panel will have to stay like this, because I can fix the big horizontal beam directly to the ceiling, which will give a lot of support and stiffness. I can make the side panels bigger to go the floor, small adjustment I think, but would like to understand why this is better.
post #11 of 62 Old 08-27-2019, 12:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I make my panels removable, having one the entire width of the room exceeds the size of wood I usually use and it is hard to do with one seamless piece of fabric. Also my panels surround the screen frame and do not tuck behind as you show in your diagram.
post #12 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Also my panels surround the screen frame and do not tuck behind as you show in your diagram.
My intention was to have some spare space in case there are small changes/imperfections, to avoid that I have a small gap between the final screen and the side false wall panel. I can make the overlap smaller ofcourse, but what is your reason for making it fit just with the screen without overlap ? Any benefit ?
post #13 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Just saying hi mainly because I was born in Belgium but grew up in the United States. I was born in Brussels and lived in Waterloo until I was 7. I also am building a theater that is just about wrapped up as we just moved a couple of weeks ago and funny enough my space is above the garage and has almost the identical roof line I am seeing in your illustration. Good luck with your project!!!!!! It looks awesome.
post #14 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorisdriesen View Post
but what is your reason for making it fit just with the screen without overlap ? Any benefit ?
The screen and the panels all hang on the same minimal structure. More info here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...reen-wall.html
post #15 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Hey man, thanks for commenting. I really really (did I say really) want to see these Klipsch speakers. Been waiting for years to buy them until we got our own home where I will have room to put them. So there would have to be a massive improvement in sound quality for me to put them behind the screen. I am open for debate on that nevertheless.

I followed the Dolby Atmos suggestion for surrounds, which puts them more or less where I've put them on the drawing...

I for one can completely understand the "wanting to SEE the speakers". Whether they're a work of art, a serious investment or both some folks just want to see the machinery. That's why all my speakers and components are visible. Once the lights are off, everything disappears anyway. Besides, putting any speaker behind a screen will require plenty of EQ'ing to compensate for the drop in frequency response.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2088.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	2608200  
chadsmith013 and jorisdriesen like this.
post #16 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Just saying hi mainly because I was born in Belgium but grew up in the United States. I was born in Brussels and lived in Waterloo until I was 7. I also am building a theater that is just about wrapped up as we just moved a couple of weeks ago and funny enough my space is above the garage and has almost the identical roof line I am seeing in your illustration. Good luck with your project!!!!!! It looks awesome.
Hey man, thanks for commenting. Awesome looking theater in your opening post. Is this the one you're wrapping up ? Because the roof line seems much more horizontal than mine (45°)...
post #17 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
I for one can completely understand the "wanting to SEE the speakers". Whether they're a work of art, a serious investment or both some folks just want to see the machinery. That's why all my speakers and components are visible. Once the lights are off, everything disappears anyway. Besides, putting any speaker behind a screen will require plenty of EQ'ing to compensate for the drop in frequency response.
Totally agree.
post #18 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Quote:
Hey man, thanks for commenting. Awesome looking theater in your opening post. Is this the one you're wrapping up ? Because the roof line seems much more horizontal than mine (45°)...
That picture was my last theater in the house we just sold. My new theater isn't 100% completed yet but should be in the next week or so. It also has a pitched roof line. You don't see that too often so I found interesting yours was very similar. Lets stay in touch
post #19 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
That picture was my last theater in the house we just sold. My new theater isn't 100% completed yet but should be in the next week or so. It also has a pitched roof line. You don't see that too often so I found interesting yours was very similar. Lets stay in touch
Do you have a build thread ? I could probably learn a lot from your experiences...
post #20 of 62 Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Or send me some pics on skype
post #21 of 62 Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Besides, putting any speaker behind a screen will require plenty of EQ'ing to compensate for the drop in frequency response.
Not really. Any decent AT screen will have barely any more effect on frequency response than a speaker grill.
post #22 of 62 Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

I'm planning to solve this by illuminating the speakers behind the screen.

Audio is so much better when it actually comes from where the visuals are. Just my 2c.

---------------

My build thread
post #23 of 62 Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
I'm planning to solve this by illuminating the speakers behind the screen.
Audio is so much better when it actually comes from where the visuals are. Just my 2c.
I already have the center speaker behind the AT screen, so the dialogues etc are already coming from the exact center. My fronts will be pushed up against the screen sides, so that should be OK I think.

If I push the fronts inwards to be behind the screen, they are maybe a bit too close together as per Dolby surround guidelines. Anyway, I can play with that once I have the room available. But like I said, I am waiting for years to buy Klipsch speakers, and I want to see them when I'm in the room.

Open questions still (only the screen will be AT material, the rest of the false wall is probably black velvet):
1. There will be 1x SVS PB-2000 sub behind the screen. Does it matter if the sub is faced towards MLP or if it's turned 90° and firing left or right ?
2. Best to put the sub on ear level or is the height position irrelevant for a sub ?
markmon1 likes this.
post #24 of 62 Old 08-29-2019, 02:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

just a heads up on illuminating speakers behind the screen. Who remembers this picture?

Well guess what there wasn't any screen fabric in the frame for the photo op.

this is what you can expect best case, The tighter the weave of the screen the more obscure the speaker image.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-29-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #25 of 62 Old 08-30-2019, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

I wasn't gonna go for that anyway.

Open questions still (only the screen will be AT material, the rest of the false wall is probably black velvet):
1. There will be 1x SVS PB-2000 sub behind the screen. Does it matter if the sub is faced towards MLP or if it's turned 90° and firing left or right ?
2. Best to put the sub on ear level or is the height position irrelevant for a sub ?
post #26 of 62 Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, basic construction of the house is finished. This is where the magic is going to happen:

BIGmouthinDC, BllDo and pkinneb like this.
post #27 of 62 Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If construction started 3-4 weeks ago your builders must be on drugs.
dltnjarrel likes this.
post #28 of 62 Old 08-30-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Don't underestimate us Europeans .

They started digging for the foundations on August 6th, took 2 weeks to finish those + the semi-basement. Started with the actual house on August 21st, and below is a picture from August 28th:

dltnjarrel and pkinneb like this.
post #29 of 62 Old 08-31-2019, 06:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I like how they use full surround scaffolding for two story homes, I've seen that in other European projects. It is rare to see here.
jorisdriesen likes this.
post #30 of 62 Old 08-31-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

OK so I just discovered Pandora's box: the DIY speaker forum...

Man that's a lot of interesting stuff. If I believe the info there, the Klipsch I've chosen are far inferior to DIY speakers like the HTM-12 from DIYSG. Anybody here any experience with those (or similar) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page