The Hidden Canyon Theater (DIY Design and Build Thread) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynkage
  • 1 Post By pkinneb
  • 1 Post By sirjaymz
  • 1 Post By p3bham

post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The Hidden Canyon Theater (DIY Design and Build Thread)

Good evening AVS!!

I am currently in the middle of building my new HT 3.0 space in our new (to us) home. (Third time's a charm... right ?)

The house originally did not have an attached garage, but it had plans to add it. So I am adding an addition to the house to add the larger 2 car garage with space above the garage for the new theater space. I modified the original design to allow the theater to be as big as I could without to much hassle because the foundation and garage floor were already in place. Construction was a small challenge for myself and another really good friend/builder. It turned out really good with a full cut roof and all. I designed this with maximum weight loads in mind and used the best lumber/engineered lumber choices I had available to me. While not optimal, it is a really unique space that provides plenty of opportunity for discussion and comments from all. BTW I can really only afford doing this because I can build/do most of this myself!

The finished theater space will be 27' X 32' X 18'. The ceiling height of 18' is because the roof is a 10/12 pitch to match with the rest of the house. However this is only at the center with a 6.75" X 24" Glulam down the center for a clear span room. The side walls (knee walls) start at 5' tall and go up from there. This helps match the rest of the house which is a 12/12 and 16/12 pitch roof. These design elements had to match for a number of reasons, but mainly to look good and flow with the rest of the house AND I would probably not be married anymore if I didn't! I plan on a 2' false wall on both long sides for speakers and subs as well as sound proofing/deadening details, so really it will be almost 7' tall (6' 8" to be exact) at the outside edges of the room. The front will also be 2' (+- a few inches) baffle wall for the AT screen and speakers and subs. The HVAC will be an LG Red 24,000 BTU Heat Pump air handler under the riser with a seperate air/fan transfer system to the original house for balance and circulation. Separate cooling via an LG Red 9000 BTU mini split for the equipment room. I will have a 150A panel just for the theater. I just installed a 400A service to the house as well.

Seating, We do have a large extended family that will be in the home in full force during certain times of the year so I am trying to get 3 rows of 3 loveseats (18 seats total). Long story short, my wife really does not like any of the theater seating we have been able to try and she will not buy something she can't sit in (for at least 2 hours) to make sure she enjoys them for long periods of time, so we have found a few dual reclining loveseats that fit the bill. I also do not like how high the backs are on most theater seating because of the sound being blocked by the seat back height as well as being able to see over them. I may also have my 2 channel setup integrated in this room as well, TBD.

I will put my initial equipment list here, however it is subject to change, some (most?) of the speakers I already own or have most parts to complete them.

Front: LCR will be JBL 5732's with 2216ND's instead of 2226's and 2451H-SL's instead of 2452H-SL's.
Sides: are still up in the air, I have 4 JBL AM6215/95's that I want to use if I can fit them without issue. I will replace the 2226's with 2216ND's as well, otherwise I have 4 JBL CT321C coax's I can use.
Rears: I have a pair of JBL AC28/26's (These fit between the windows pictures below)
Atmos: I have 4 JBL CT328's. I want to hang these via cable to the appropriate height, because of the ceiling slope, in a cylinder shaped cabinet.
SUBS: I currently have:
4 ST HST18MKII's. These will go in 4 GSG Full Marty custom cabs
8 JBL GTi15 MKII's 4 of these will go in 4 GSG Full Marty custom cabs, the rest in cabs (same size and tuning as the FM) for near field subs under the risers.

All power will be provided by Crown DCi amps:
I currently have:
4 DCI 4|1250N's
2 DCI 2|1250N's
2 DCI 8|600N's
I also have 4 BSS BLU processors with BLU link to go with my amps. I don't think I will need all of them but hoarders are what we are...

Pre pro is undecided yet. I will wait to see what is available in the next year. I am hoping for 13.2 so I can run 9.1.4 in the future or better.

Screen is going to be a DIY 200"ish 2.3X.1. My family really likes BIG screens and I will probably utilize Seymore's 96" wide fabric on a DIY frame.

Lighting: I am hoping to do some addressable RGBW LED's in various fashion and possibly some singles hanging from the ceiling just like the Atmos cans. But the wiring needs to be run now so that I can get inspected before insulation and drywall.

So far the PJ looks to be the BenQ LK990 and maybe a Lumagen or possibly the new madVR ENVY.... We must wait and see... however I am not willing to spend 50K on a Sony or JVC, I have way to many hobbies that syphon funds from the bank account. My avatar being one of them!

The first picture is the basic layout. Second is the rear of the theater. Third is the front. The other pictures are upside down so I will need to reorient the iPhone during the day.
Anyways, I will reserve a few of the following posts for future pictures and post as we move along. I am guessing this will take about a year to complete barring any other disruptions in life!

My first question at hand is about Atmos and speaker placements. I would like to put 6 Atmos speakers (I will get one more pair of CT328's) as well as heights etc. in the future. I am hoping some of you more experienced folks can help me determine pre wire locations for these speakers even though I may not have them right away. My insulation is going to be a hybrid (spray foam and batts) so I need to get everything in place before that happens.

I'm sure that I have left off information that is vital so please ask away and I will do my best to answer. Thanks to all in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2609304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2609308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2609318  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

post #6 of 11 Old 08-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 388
That is one serious beam lol!! Subscribed

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #7 of 11 Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
That is one serious beam lol!! Subscribed
Yes it is a very large beam. It was a design choice that matches the rest of the house as well. Here is a picture of the crane when we were setting it.

Also a closer to finished front view of the addition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	2610100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2610102  
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by Lynkage; 09-01-2019 at 10:49 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Nice!
Lynkage likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #9 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 580
HT1.0 for me was a sloped ceiling. I didn't get to take it to the full extreme, so I am looking forward watching yours come together. sub'd
Lynkage likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #10 of 11 Old 09-03-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 190
This one should be fun! Nice space. Subscribed.
Lynkage likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-07-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

So a question about the surrounds.

Since the side walls are only 5' tall and the risers are 12" (second row) and 24" (back row) off the floor, my side walls are kind of limited for surrounds.
I will have a 2' false AT wall area all the way down each side, floor to ceiling, so the side surrounds could be placed just ahead of the row pointed slightly towards the back of the room to enable coverage of the entire row, or I could place 12" coaxes in the sloped ceiling above the seating to cover the row. If I did the false wall route, I could fit my 15" 2-ways behind the AT walls. This area also holds some of my subwoofers as well.

What ideas do any of you folks have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page