My first hush box - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By shivaji
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By MinHeadroom
  • 1 Post By corradizo
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 797
My first hush box

Here's my very first attempt at building a hush box for my Sony VPL-VW695ES projector. It's more of a hush apartment or hush house, but it gets the job done. Also, I have to say, I'm not a handyman by any stretch and this is only my 2nd overall project that I've done (besides my boss mini risers) so it was extremely daunting. The main issue I have is that I want to run my Sony 4k projector on high lamp mode when watching HDR movies, but the fan noise is just too much for me to take. Also, my Sony has both intake and exhaust in the front, so I needed to figure out a way to block all the noise from the front of the projector without restricting proper air flow. So, I sketched up a crazy plan and went to work on it. Also, I wanted to keep costs down, so I just used leftover plywood I had from building my boss mini risers to build the box, used the last of the black paint I had laying around from painting the HT black, and used some leftover styrofoam insulation I had from a project I did for creating panels to block the black bars on my 16x9 screen when watching 2.39:1 aspect ratio films. So, here's a bunch of pics of everything. I tried to list all of the items I purchased but again if I had stuff leftover from other projects that were used, I didn't list them (like screws, paint, rope, etc. I first tried to just put the hush box up on the existing mount I had for the projector, but it was too big and would hang over a few inches, so I bought some hooks and chains and mounted to the ceiling, and that straightened everything right up. As for cooling, the exhaust fans from the projector route air through the duct to the rear (I tilt the duct up at the end of the run) and then the exhaust fans kick it out of the box quite well. All three fans are connected together and run off the single usb connector on the projector.



Links:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-F...-100033952-_-N
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lambro-4-in...e-Duct/3172543
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...6520/203958747
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ceiling-D...1-pk/121026809
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2634/205887675

https://www.edmundoptics.com/p/2032-...y-window/5443/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hbplan.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2609438   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	2609440   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb7.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2609442   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2609444   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	2609446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	2609448   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	2609450   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb14.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2609452   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb13.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2609454   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb12.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2609456  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb11.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	2609458   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb10.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2609460   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb9.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	2609462   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb8.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2609464   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb15.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	2609466  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb24.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2609468   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb23.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2609470   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb22.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2609472   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb21.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2609474   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb20.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2609476  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb19.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2609478   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb18.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2609480   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb17.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2609482   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb16.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	2609484  
shivaji and Tedd like this.

Last edited by m0j0; 08-31-2019 at 09:10 AM.
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,548
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Whoa, you gave your projector exhaust pipes, A Very cool and inginuitive design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	25
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2609504  
m0j0 likes this.

Last edited by shivaji; 08-31-2019 at 09:07 AM.
shivaji is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Whoa, you gave your projector exhaust pipes, A Very cool and inginuitive design.

Yeah, it looks like a turbo charger or something!
shivaji likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,334
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
You might want the lens tunnel all black, or light absorbing. You may be giving up some contrast ratio.

Maybe you are a handyman, just one without a need to build or engineer something in the past?
Tedd is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
You might want the lens tunnel all black, or light absorbing. You may be giving up some contrast ratio.

Maybe you are a handyman, just one without a need to build or engineer something in the past?
Thanks for the tip Tedd. I can definitely add in some black velvet to the top and bottom.
m0j0 is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
MinHeadroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Jersey/ NYC
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Awesome- I have been scouring for ideas for my Epson 5050, Also with front intake and exhaust. Thank you for posting!
m0j0 likes this.
MinHeadroom is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 09-01-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 3,480
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
corradizo is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,783
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
I can't tell from the photos, but where does the exhaust air vent to? Is the back of the hush box sealed? If so, where do you obtain fresh air from for the intake air?


I have a very noisy projector (JVC RS4500) and really need a hush box but am concerned about not having the correct amount of air flow into and out of the box.
audioguy is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I can't tell from the photos, but where does the exhaust air vent to? Is the back of the hush box sealed? If so, where do you obtain fresh air from for the intake air?


I have a very noisy projector (JVC RS4500) and really need a hush box but am concerned about not having the correct amount of air flow into and out of the box.

The back of the hush box is sealed in that it sits flush against the back wall. The top of the hush box has two holes toward the back with two exhaust fans, and the exhaust pipes deliver the hot exhaust directly to those fans above to be removed from the hush box. As for intake, there is a hole in the top of the hush box all the way front and center where there is a fan that delivers air from the room directly above the intake fan of the projector. I have the exhaust and intake far enough apart that it seems to work pretty well. I had considered making the exhaust fan come up from below to further separate the hot air and cool air, but ruled it out because I wanted to reduce the noise as much as possible and having a case fan pointing straight at me would probably not have been a good way to reduce the noise, so I went with the intake on top as well.
m0j0 is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,783
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Thanks so much for your response. Some more questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
The back of the hush box is sealed in that it sits flush against the back wall. The top of the hush box has two holes toward the back with two exhaust fans, and the exhaust pipes deliver the hot exhaust directly to those fans above to be removed from the hush box.
Where does it exhaust to? The space above the room? How did you determine the size/speed/air flow of the exhaust fan you chose?

Quote:
As for intake, there is a hole in the top of the hush box all the way front and center where there is a fan that delivers air from the room directly above the intake fan of the projector.
If the top of the box is against the ceiling, I'm not sure I understand the room air is pulled into the box. But same question as above: How did you determine he size/speed/air flow of the intake fan you chose? Also, I don't see that you have any temperature sensors in the box to determine if the projector is overheating. The inside of the box overheating is one of the things I worry about. Frying my projector due to some intake or exhaust fan failure is not something I want to think about.

Quote:
I have the exhaust and intake far enough apart that it seems to work pretty well. I had considered making the exhaust fan come up from below to further separate the hot air and cool air, but ruled it out because I wanted to reduce the noise as much as possible and having a case fan pointing straight at me would probably not have been a good way to reduce the noise, so I went with the intake on top as well.
My situation is a bit different in that the projector takes in air from the rear but exhausts from the front. My plan is to build a "front/back separator" in the box to keep the the exhaust air and intake air as separate as possible
audioguy is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks so much for your response. Some more questions:


Where does it exhaust to? The space above the room? How did you determine the size/speed/air flow of the exhaust fan you chose?

If the top of the box is against the ceiling, I'm not sure I understand the room air is pulled into the box. But same question as above: How did you determine he size/speed/air flow of the intake fan you chose? Also, I don't see that you have any temperature sensors in the box to determine if the projector is overheating. The inside of the box overheating is one of the things I worry about. Frying my projector due to some intake or exhaust fan failure is not something I want to think about.

My situation is a bit different in that the projector takes in air from the rear but exhausts from the front. My plan is to build a "front/back separator" in the box to keep the the exhaust air and intake air as separate as possible

I have tall ceilings so the top of the box is actually a good 4 or 5 feet below the ceiling. As for the exhaust fans, I used the AC Infinity 120mm fans that do about 52cfm each at 19db, so for exhaust that gives me 104cfm (could be more if I used the wall outlet but I used the usb connection from the projector), and 52cfm for intake. I run them on the highest setting since they run so quiet. Based on previous experience with building PC's, I felt very confident that these could handle air flow for the hush box so didn't really try to get down to exact measurements. I don't have any temp sensors but that could be a good option for version 2 when I get around to it. For testing, I did run it for a few hours then get up on a ladder and take the top off to see if it was hot inside the box. I didn't notice any problems and also checked to make sure there was no hot air leaking from the connections around the front, and all good as far as I could tell.Hot air was coming out of the exhaust pipes where I wanted it and the exhaust fans were sucking that hot air out of the box and into the room.
m0j0 is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,783
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I have tall ceilings so the top of the box is actually a good 4 or 5 feet below the ceiling. As for the exhaust fans, I used the AC Infinity 120mm fans that do about 52cfm each at 19db, so for exhaust that gives me 104cfm (could be more if I used the wall outlet but I used the usb connection from the projector), and 52cfm for intake. I run them on the highest setting since they run so quiet. Based on previous experience with building PC's, I felt very confident that these could handle air flow for the hush box so didn't really try to get down to exact measurements. I don't have any temp sensors but that could be a good option for version 2 when I get around to it. For testing, I did run it for a few hours then get up on a ladder and take the top off to see if it was hot inside the box. I didn't notice any problems and also checked to make sure there was no hot air leaking from the connections around the front, and all good as far as I could tell.Hot air was coming out of the exhaust pipes where I wanted it and the exhaust fans were sucking that hot air out of the box and into the room.

Got it. So you pull air in from your room and exhaust the hot air back into the room as well. My plan was to pull the incoming air from my equipment room behind the screen wall (which is cooled by a dedicated mini-Split system) and put the exhaust air into the space above the theater.


Your response has been very helpful. Thanks again.
audioguy is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Got it. So you pull air in from your room and exhaust the hot air back into the room as well. My plan was to pull the incoming air from my equipment room behind the screen wall (which is cooled by a dedicated mini-Split system) and put the exhaust air into the space above the theater.


Your response has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Yeah, I figured if the projector was intaking and exhausting from the same room and all in the same area (up front) prior to adding the hush box to the mix, this setup would be an improvement to some extent. I didn't want to get crazy with it but surely it would be better to intake from another room and exhaust to another room/area if that is an option for you.
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off