What products to use on a budget - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 476
How about adding furring strips across the ceiling on all walls. Then vertically hanging your dryway creating a pitched in wall all the way around the room. Thats the cheapest option I can think of.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm all over the place with this build. I am going to take some photos this weekend to show what I am working with. I can up the budget if I skip the speakers and just build those next summer. I can always use my Sonos soundbar and deal with out surround. I just want to be sure it's being done right.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #33 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 985
I can well imagine you are all over the place with this. I would be too. The 10x20' room is a tough space to do really well, and is it worth the investment when maybe the bigger
space could be a short term room without a bunch of features. The thing to me, is are you really stuck with the small space, in the short term. If it was all I had, then I would use it,
but the larger space built to a tight enclosed space might be two layers of 5/8" drywall.

Maybe some bean bag chairs for the kids might be a fun option for the short term? (Riser-less for either area for now in the big room?)

Ideally you want at least 3' off a back wall, and I would weight the opportunity of doing that, against the impact on the rest of the basement, since this is really just a temporary
space. The bit of rework plus waste of time and a bit of money, kind of steers me to the bigger space right off the bat.

I didn't see those Harbor freight mats on their website. But I doubt they would be appropriate to use with GG. I would expect two layers of 5/8" drywall with GG would be the
better performing wall, when you look at wanting similar mass of either side of the GG. Once in a while, some experimentation pays off, but most of the time, you end up with
an underperforming final result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
How does staggered studs perform? If I use ib3 clips and a staggered stud wall with out green glue. I know green glue performs well but it's a serious expense I'd rather avoid.

post #35 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbass View Post
How does staggered studs perform? If I use ib3 clips and a staggered stud wall with out green glue. I know green glue performs well but it's a serious expense I'd rather avoid.

I will be honest.. I can't tell the difference between a wall I did with GG and one without.. Both sound the same with a knock test (super scientific lol), but not sure it was worth the $750 I put into the room.. Only way to really tell would be to build two identical rooms (one with and one without the use of GG) and test it.. I am sure it does something, but might be more of a placebo effect IMO..

P.S. I did staggered walls and they work very well.. I did them 24oc and put R13 on each side.
post #36 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbass View Post
Still not sure where to put the 4 Atmos speakers.
Regarding placement of the Atmos speakers, check out this page;
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page