7.1.4 setup and ceiling speakers placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
7.1.4 setup and ceiling speakers placement

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to move to a bigger apartment and evaluating to build my first home theatre setup. I've been studying the dolby/atmos speakers placement guide and reading quite a lot setups on this forum, and finally did some drawing to understand which setup fits better in my room.

The room (33 ft. by 14 ft.) is a living/dining/kitchen room, with just one line of seats, so it will not be fully dedicated to the home theatre. Considering the size of the room I would setup 7.1 speakers, but I would not discard the possibility for a smaller 5.1 setup.

This is the final setup:

I have a couple of doubts I would like you to help me figure them out:

1. Ceiling placement: at 45° (in red in the image) the front ceiling speaker seems quite too close to front speakers, while a 55° placement (in grey in the image) seems better (at least on paper) to me and more similar to the image Dolby provides in the Atmos guide. What's your take? Should I stick with 45°?

2. Floor-standing vs wall-mount: would you advice the floor-standing setup (where all the speakers have the same distance from the LP with the only exception of LRC) or a wall-mount setup, where rear speakers are quite far from the LP (please see picture)?

3. Finally, what do you think about the overall setup and placement? Do you see any major issue? Here you can find some calculation I used for the setup.

Thank you so much for you help, any advise would be much appreciated.

Last edited by sundonak; 09-02-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
1) I'd stick with 45 degrees per the ATMOS guide. I believe it's only important to keep separation from the front speakers vertically
2) That's way too far for the rear surrounds
3) Good idea on the 110 degree placement for 5.1 purposes. Looks good.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
1) I'd stick with 45 degrees per the ATMOS guide. I believe it's only important to keep separation from the front speakers vertically
Hum... ok good! What do you think would be the result if I stick with 55°? Less separation between the overhead speakers? Or what?

Quote:
2) That's way too far for the rear surrounds
I would agree... it looks also kind of weird...

Quote:
3) Good idea on the 110 degree placement for 5.1 purposes. Looks good.
Good! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundonak View Post
Hum... ok good! What do you think would be the result if I stick with 55°? Less separation between the overhead speakers? Or what?

I would agree... it looks also kind of weird...

Good! Thank you
Not sure why Dolby recommends 45 degrees but its probably to maintain separation from the back ceiling pair as you suggested. They recommend 80 degrees in a 5.1.2 setup, so that is likely the reason.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6294
The point of using 4 surrounds is to have side-vs-rear separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field. You're not going to get that with ALL 4 surrounds placed behind you. Consider placing the Sides slightly forward of your main listening position (around 80°) for better spaciousness & envelopment. The Rears should be close to 150° to anchor those sounds firmly behind you (not some side-ish, rear-ish direction). Stick with 45° elevation for the height speakers. Finally, for smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips), place the listeners' ears at 1/3 room length (11') from the front wall.

Sanjay
post #6 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
The point of using 4 surrounds is to have side-vs-rear separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field. You're not going to get that with ALL 4 surrounds placed behind you.
That's what Dolby suggest. I'm putting the side surrounds slightly behind just because, if we have 2 people on the couch, with a 90° angle positioning, sound will be blocked by heads.

Quote:
Consider placing the Sides slightly forward of your main listening position (around 80°) for better spaciousness & envelopment. The Rears should be close to 150° to anchor those sounds firmly behind you (not some side-ish, rear-ish direction).
150° for rear is doable, while on the other hand I don't get the 80° "front" side surround positioning...

Quote:
Stick with 45° elevation for the height speakers. Finally, for smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips), place the listeners' ears at 1/3 room length (11') from the front wall.
45° then! LP is around 10/11' so it should be good.
Thank you.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby recommends the side surrounds at 90-110 degrees for a 7.1 config (at the side to slightly behind). For a 5.1 config, they recommend 110-120 (behind). Enveloping sound is the goal but you're ok with 110 (but right at the limit). The front speakers will be more dominant and they will take care of the front soundstage effect.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Dolby recommends the side surrounds at 90-110 degrees for a 7.1 config (at the side to slightly behind).
I can move surround from 90 to 100 degrees, so that’s not the problem. I put them slightly behind to avoid sound to be blocked by other people on the sofa.

Thank you.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundonak View Post
I'm putting the side surrounds slightly behind just because, if we have 2 people on the couch, with a 90° angle positioning, sound will be blocked by heads.
Placing the Sides slightly forward avoids that.
Quote:
I don't get the 80° "front" side surround positioning...
Comes from ITU (amongst other sources). When using only 2 surround speakers, they need to be a little behind you to strike a compromise between side and rear placement. No such compromise needed with 4 surrounds.

Next time you're sitting in a movie theatre, notice that the surround speakers start forward of you (way forward of you).

Sanjay
post #10 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From Dolby:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby 7.1.4.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2610242  
post #11 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hum, interesting, I’ll try to looking for more information about this. Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page