Baffle wall construction questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Baffle wall construction questions

I’m going to build a home cinema in a prefab concrete basement. I’d like to build a baffle wall with speakers behind an AT screen. I have a couple of questions before I start. I tried to google them but I seem to find different opinions so it’s difficult to see what’s right.

1) should there be absorption material behind the speakers or only fill up the space between them? (There’s nothing behind the concrete wall, just the earth outside, so insulation isn’t a requirement)
2) if the front of the speaker is flush with the wall, how do I deal with ventilation of the speakers?
3) should I decouple the baffle wall from floor, ceiling and walls, or can I just mount it directly, if I decouple the speakers from the wall using padding?
4) should I embed the subwoofer(s) in the wall too, keep them completely separate, or put them in the wall but with plenty of space around them?
5) are there benefits to putting the baffle wall and/or the subs on a platform, or can they be placed directly on the floor? (On the concrete or use padding?)

Keen to hear your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 04:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Liked: 5433
Tell us a little more about how you intend to construct the walls, ceiling and floors in this concrete room. Your plans for the rooms acoustical treatments. Specific brand and model of your speakers (I want to know if there are ports to consider). Lastly your goals for using a baffle wall since it is not needed for putting speakers behind an AT screen. Once I know that I will offer my suggestions.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Tell us a little more about how you intend to construct the walls, ceiling and floors in this concrete room. Your plans for the rooms acoustical treatments. Specific brand and model of your speakers (I want to know if there are ports to consider). Lastly your goals for using a baffle wall since it is not needed for putting speakers behind an AT screen. Once I know that I will offer my suggestions.
Hi Jeff,

The idea came from http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322baffle-walls/ but the speaker manufacturer Arendal (I’m leaning towards Arendal 1723 monitor speakers, although I’ve looked at m&k s150 as well) also recommended ‘monitors in baffle’ as better than towers behind a false wall.

I’ll be planning the rest of the room backwards and still investigating what to do with the walls (I’m thinking carpeting, with absorption panels at the direct reflection points).

For ceilings I’ll be making some lowered areas for atmos speakers, with maybe a starlight sky in between.

For the room layout you’ve answered some of my questions quite a while ago before the house was built. The house is done now, so I’m starting with the basement project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, I mentioned that you had answered my layout questions before, but that was Ted. Here’s the thread about the floor plan: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theatre.html

The wall around the staircase in the end was made of very sturdy brickwork that reaches all the way to the floor above. That is good for insulation but has made it difficult to remove that wall.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 05:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #6 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 05:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
1) should there be absorption material behind the speakers or only fill up the space between them? (There’s nothing behind the concrete wall, just the earth outside, so insulation isn’t a requirement)
2) if the front of the speaker is flush with the wall, how do I deal with ventilation of the speakers?
3) should I decouple the baffle wall from floor, ceiling and walls, or can I just mount it directly, if I decouple the speakers from the wall using padding?
4) should I embed the subwoofer(s) in the wall too, keep them completely separate, or put them in the wall but with plenty of space around them?
5) are there benefits to putting the baffle wall and/or the subs on a platform, or can they be placed directly on the floor? (On the concrete or use padding?)

Let me preface my remarks by saying I've worked on theaters with baffle wall designs from 4 different " Professional Home Theater Experts" they each have their secret sauces some are similar some are different.

First baffles walls can be grouped into two categories Full wall, and Baffle Wings with big openings for speakers and acoustical benefits of using the area behind the baffle wall as a bass absorber.

1) Either style requires insulation behind the baffle wall and treatment on the front surface facing the room, With the full wall it is to damp cavity resonances and you don't have to fill it totally. With the baffle wings you want to have a filled area 12 inches deep or more with low density fiberglass. That area will act as a bass absorber.
2) I've never seen a baffle wall that required ventilation, you should pick speakers that are sealed or have their ports on the front face of the speaker. I notice one of your choices can be ordered either way. The speaker should be flush with the acoustic treatment on the wall not flush with the hard surface.
3) build the walls solid, no need to decouple, use multiple layers of material with Green Glue dampening. Decouple the speakers from the wall and seal the areas around the speaker with rubber gasket to make it airtight. You can actually build sand filled stands to set the speakers on behind the walls.
4) Subs can be in the wall assuming any ports are on the front. In the case of the baffle wings they just sit on the floor in the big openings under the wings and the direction of the ports is less important.
5) the benefit of a platform is only to isolate speaker vibration from the floor. It needs to use dampening construction methods like sand, layers with GG or both. For simplicity you can just place your subs on thick rubber pads. You can do a stage for looks if you want and it can be under or in front of the baffle wall.

It will be important that you consider speaker placement and angles carefully, if your speaker designer says the L/R should be angled toward the MLP you should implement that in the baffle wall.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Let me preface my remarks by saying I've worked on theaters with baffle wall designs from 4 different " Professional Home Theater Experts" they each have their secret sauces some are similar some are different.

First baffles walls can be grouped into two categories Full wall, and Baffle Wings with big openings for speakers and acoustical benefits of using the area behind the baffle wall as a bass absorber.

1) Either style requires insulation behind the baffle wall and treatment on the front surface facing the room, With the full wall it is to damp cavity resonances and you don't have to fill it totally. With the baffle wings you want to have a filled area 12 inches deep or more with low density fiberglass. That area will act as a bass absorber.
2) I've never seen a baffle wall that required ventilation, you should pick speakers that are sealed or have their ports on the front face of the speaker. I notice one of your choices can be ordered either way. The speaker should be flush with the acoustic treatment on the wall not flush with the hard surface.
3) build the walls solid, no need to decouple, use multiple layers of material with Green Glue dampening. Decouple the speakers from the wall and seal the areas around the speaker with rubber gasket to make it airtight. You can actually build sand filled stands to set the speakers on behind the walls.
4) Subs can be in the wall assuming any ports are on the front. In the case of the baffle wings they just sit on the floor in the big openings under the wings and the direction of the ports is less important.
5) the benefit of a platform is only to isolate speaker vibration from the floor. It needs to use dampening construction methods like sand, layers with GG or both. For simplicity you can just place your subs on thick rubber pads. You can do a stage for looks if you want and it can be under or in front of the baffle wall.

It will be important that you consider speaker placement and angles carefully, if your speaker designer says the L/R should be angled toward the MLP you should implement that in the baffle wall.
Jeff,
-->What kind of insulation is recommended behind Baffle wall?
-->If I place the Sub under the baffle wall,
1) Will the Sub need an enclosure around it just like LCR's?
2) when you say "Stage", what should be the gap between the sub and the stage above?
3) Is it okay for the stage to touch the back wall ?
I'm assuming that the material used to build the stage is the same as Baffle wall.
Thanks!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

loose batt fiberglass
your sub does not need an enclosure for baffle wing designs, if you are doing a complete wall you need an appropriate sized opening.
not sure what gap from the sub and stage you are talking about. it is best to run the stage under the sub.
the stage should not touch the walls, leave 1/2 inch gap, normally hid by carpet.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-17-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
loose batt fiberglass
your sub does not need an enclosure for baffle wing designs, if you are doing a complete wall you need an appropriate sized opening.
not sure what gap from the sub and stage you are talking about. it is best to run the stage under the sub.
the stage should not touch the walls, leave 1/2 inch gap, normally hid by carpet.
Sorry.... I meant, do I have to seal off the baffle wall above the subwoofer, making the whole space below the screen as a separate section OR construct the baffle wall all the way from top to bottom and make enclosures for subs as to be done for speakers? I’ve pair of SVS PB-3000 going under the baffle wall and I’m trying to figure out the best way possible to integrate them under the screen instead of them protruding out. I’m new to Custom designs and terminology 🙂 wasn’t sure what Baggle wall wings meant! Thank you!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

no sealing, but back to the beginning what are your mains and why do you think you need a baffle wall?
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
no sealing, but back to the beginning what are your mains and why do you think you need a baffle wall?
I've M&K IW-300 as mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page