Best location for future basement HT based on floor plan? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 73 Old 10-15-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
I can't help but wonder why the furnace couldn't be shifter oved and the cold air return use some of the joist space? Same with shifting the HVAC trunk over to the other side of the steel beam and utilising the floor joist space for an offset to the vertical runs for the second floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rjoper9 basement.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	2628164  
Ladeback likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I can't help but wonder why the furnace couldn't be shifter oved and the cold air return use some of the joist space? Same with shifting the HVAC trunk over to the other side of the steel beam and utilising the floor joist space for an offset to the vertical runs for the second floor.

Thanks for drawing that up. I’ll certainly be taking it to the design meeting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 73 Old 10-15-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
In building my new home, I dug my basement down an extra 2 feet (to 12’ deep). My builder charged me $15K - $7.5K per extra foot deeper. Worked out great for the theater with no HVAC issues or sound proofing.

The price to dig down just the theater portion (not the entire basement like we did) was over $30K.

Hopefully the taller superior walls throughout isn’t near that high in price or I’ll be forced to go with 9’. Curious to see what my wife feels is a reasonable price with some of my wants/needs for the HT space.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 Old 10-16-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjloper9 View Post
Hopefully the taller superior walls throughout isn’t near that high in price or I’ll be forced to go with 9’. Curious to see what my wife feels is a reasonable price with some of my wants/needs for the HT space.

I didn't think the cost was bad. For $15K, we got 2 extra feet of basement height. That included thicker basement walls and larger re-bars all around. Obviously more drywall for the taller walls and we dropped the ceilings to 9.5 ft in all other areas of the basement as 12' was too cavernous. So, for the $125K, there was more to it than just digging deep and more concrete.

Like your wife, my wife had no idea if the cost was reasonable, so I'd just go ahead and do it - only pour the basement once! I just had my wife focus on the kitchen and master . A tall theater is really a nice thing to have both for performance, sound containment and esthetics
brazensol likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #35 of 73 Old 10-16-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I didn't think the cost was bad. For $15K, we got 2 extra feet of basement height. That included thicker basement walls and larger re-bars all around. Obviously more drywall for the taller walls and we dropped the ceilings to 9.5 ft in all other areas of the basement as 12' was too cavernous. So, for the $125K, there was more to it than just digging deep and more concrete.

Like your wife, my wife had no idea if the cost was reasonable, so I'd just go ahead and do it - only pour the basement once! I just had my wife focus on the kitchen and master . A tall theater is really a nice thing to have both for performance, sound containment and esthetics
I apologize, I misread your original post. The $30K was to dig deeper which you didn't do and you ended up with the extra 2 feet for only $15 in the end. That does seem pretty reasonable. I believe that is right in line for what our last builder asked for an extra foot in our basement for poured walls. Approx. $7,000 extra.
post #36 of 73 Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 5443 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
I think if you just move the theater to the opposite side of the master bedroom you won't have to worry much about major sound proofing as upper bedrooms are 2 floors up and master is across the house.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #37 of 73 Old 10-16-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just realized the basement foundation pic posted blurry because I posted from my phone. The one should be much clearer for anyone that wants to take a look and offer any suggestions. Thanks again, Tedd!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Davenport foundation.pdf (199.2 KB, 10 views)
post #38 of 73 Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think if you just move the theater to the opposite side of the master bedroom you won't have to worry much about major sound proofing as upper bedrooms are 2 floors up and master is across the house.
I think you and Tedd are right. Rattling dishes is probably better than rattling the wife
pkinneb likes this.
post #39 of 73 Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
I apologize, I misread your original post. The $30K was to dig deeper which you didn't do and you ended up with the extra 2 feet for only $15 in the end. That does seem pretty reasonable. I believe that is right in line for what our last builder asked for an extra foot in our basement for poured walls. Approx. $7,000 extra.
$30K was to just deep deeper for the theater room alone. $15K was to dig 2 ft deeper the entire basement. I thought it a fair price considering the cement walls were made thicker, re-bars were increased and larger diameter, all the drywall work to drop a ceiling in . the non-theater portion of basement, etc.

There are other side benefits too. Like having to run wire in the basement ceiling. Don't have to stay in joists... we have 2 ft of space between downstairs ceiling drywall and joists.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #40 of 73 Old 10-17-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

$15K over the life of a mortgage isn't much of a monthly bump in payments. But that $15K bump does turn into a much bigger hit as the years add up.

To my way of thinking, it simply comes down to maybe a $100/month cost, to get a few more seats, so I'd want them filled on a regular basis. Otherwise,
that $100 extra a month into your mortgage would beat down interest payments in a meaningful way.

There is no guarantee as to what will rattle where, in the house, if you don't do some meaningful isolation. Just because a wall is 100 feet away from the theater,
doesn't mean it can't vibrate and act like a speaker.
post #41 of 73 Old 10-17-2019, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
$15K over the life of a mortgage isn't much of a monthly bump in payments. But that $15K bump does turn into a much bigger hit as the years add up.

Based on response I received before it seems they’d be more than willing to beef up some beams or relocate the support posts and/or hvac lines from their standard locations, but it’d be at a cost.

It’ll end up coming down to what’s cheaper between beefier beams and moved posts or 10’ ceilings all around.

I won’t have an absolute NEED for a ton of seats so I’m a prime candidate for a single row. I would like a riser though bc I don’t think I’d want the hassle of trenching out concrete to run electric and I’d love to experiment with @trhought ‘s BOSS.

post #42 of 73 Old 10-18-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I expect either way you go, the added expense will turn out to be some of the better money spent for the theater.

Slide the furnace over, with an additional support post and pad, and you could run the HVAC under a soffit up front, and open up the ceiling for ATMOS speakers in backer boxes
for the single row layout. The entire front could be a shadowbox back of the soffit's leading edge and a utility room door could be hidden in the wing wall. You'd need to make sure
there's enough room between the post and furnace, come the day the water heater needs replacing. The walls back of the soffit, could also be splayed a wee bit, if you wanted to host
an av rack in the back corner, or the entry door at the back wall could also host the av rack right outside the room.

Added a couple of single row rooms I came across yesterday. Not a fan of suspended ceiling nor the raised seating eating up height, but they do show off a single row and how it can look
rather nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ryan flip.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	784.7 KB
ID:	2628914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nos-realisations56580852c42f6.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	2628916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0154NHDjpg_5809be3733780.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	2628918  
post #43 of 73 Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I expect either way you go, the added expense will turn out to be some of the better money spent for the theater.

Slide the furnace over, with an additional support post and pad, and you could run the HVAC under a soffit up front, and open up the ceiling for ATMOS speakers in backer boxes

for the single row layout. The entire front could be a shadowbox back of the soffit's leading edge and a utility room door could be hidden in the wing wall. You'd need to make sure

there's enough room between the post and furnace, come the day the water heater needs replacing. The walls back of the soffit, could also be splayed a wee bit, if you wanted to host

an av rack in the back corner, or the entry door at the back wall could also host the av rack right outside the room.

Added a couple of single row rooms I came across yesterday. Not a fan of suspended ceiling nor the raised seating eating up height, but they do show off a single row and how it can look

rather nice.

Another great layout option. Thanks for all your time, Tedd!

I’d definitely want to implement atmos. In my mind, overall goal is 7.2.4 for whatever space I end up creating.

Hopefully I have a chance to weigh the options they give me for ceiling height cost and hvac, beam/pole relocations before making a final decision.

Thanks for the visuals. I think I’m def leaning single row at this point unless I end up with a real narrow space.

post #44 of 73 Old 10-18-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Based on response I received before it seems they’d be more than willing to beef up some beams or relocate the support posts and/or hvac lines from their standard locations, but it’d be at a cost.

It’ll end up coming down to what’s cheaper between beefier beams and moved posts or 10’ ceilings all around.

I won’t have an absolute NEED for a ton of seats so I’m a prime candidate for a single row. I would like a riser though bc I don’t think I’d want the hassle of trenching out concrete to run electric and I’d love to experiment with @trhought ‘s BOSS.

Ryan.....congrats on the new house plans and your basement theater. Exciting times! Looks like you're in good hands with advice from Big and Tedd. I see Paul is active here also which is great. He's building a full size BOSS platform in his new theater also like you'll be doing. Looking forward to following along as your design comes into focus and construction begins. Kudos for getting the design and layout finalized ahead of time....time spent now getting the design right will save money once construction begins.

Great to see you're contemplating a deeper basement now. If I had to do our basement theater over again, I would have went another foot or even two feet deeper. We GC'd our home over 20 years ago and the cost would have been minimal but I thought 9 feet was plenty back then. Not the case these days. The extra 1 or 2 feet would be nice to have now. Especially as screen sizes are getting bigger and bigger with the advent of higher resolution images. As you start laying out the sight lines for the different screen configurations and seating placements, you'll find having a taller room allows more flexibility now and in the future. Just wanted to mention that as you're contemplating the extra cost of going deeper.

Congrats!
post #45 of 73 Old 10-18-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:

rather nice.
Those "helix ribbon effect" columns are a work of art! Thanks for sharing Tedd. You have some great photos in your "inspiration" collection. I bet @pkinneb could make those in his sleep after seeing his woodworking skills on display with his recent projector shelf.
pkinneb likes this.
post #46 of 73 Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Best location for future basement HT based on floor plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Ryan.....congrats on the new house plans and your basement theater. Exciting times! Looks like you're in good hands with advice from Big and Tedd. I see Paul is active here also which is great. He's building a full size BOSS platform in his new theater also like you'll be doing. Looking forward to following along as your design comes into focus and construction begins. Kudos for getting the design and layout finalized ahead of time....time spent now getting the design right will save money once construction begins.

Great to see you're contemplating a deeper basement now. If I had to do our basement theater over again, I would have went another foot or even two feet deeper. We GC'd our home over 20 years ago and the cost would have been minimal but I thought 9 feet was plenty back then. Not the case these days. The extra 1 or 2 feet would be nice to have now. Especially as screen sizes are getting bigger and bigger with the advent of higher resolution images. As you start laying out the sight lines for the different screen configurations and seating placements, you'll find having a taller room allows more flexibility now and in the future. Just wanted to mention that as you're contemplating the extra cost of going deeper.

Congrats!

We have our first preliminary meeting to go over the master price list for upgrades on 10/24 as apparently it is “confusing” if it’s not gone over with us in person.

My wife has upgrade fever currently so hopefully I can get her to save some upgrade coin for me as I see the benefits of the added basement/theater height.

Looking forward to the process. Should be able to break ground in March/April once we know there’s no more snow as our lot is being used for excess snow removal for one more season

Silver lining is it gives me more time to plan, think.

trhought likes this.

Last edited by Rjloper9; 10-18-2019 at 07:35 PM.
post #47 of 73 Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Unrelated question for the masses...

Our basement will be a walkout and the builder provides a 10x14 deck. I know I will want something larger than that for a permanent deck.

Should I forgo the 10x14 deck all together and build exactly what we want later or just have them build it with pressure treated and add on to it at a later time?

Thanks!

post #48 of 73 Old 10-20-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I personally prefer engineered decking as it needs little maintenance. I would weight the convenience of having the builder deck versus having another project upon moving in.

Another single row thought is to splay the side walls, or do a series of stepped back wall sections. The entry might be a PITA for moving stuff in and out of the theater but it also might
offer a way to enter or exit the room without the usual splash of light. One could even steal a little more flexibility re the positioning of that space, as the corner intrusion of the stairs
would be hidden in the AT space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scope creep.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	741.4 KB
ID:	2629622  
post #49 of 73 Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6013 Post(s)
Liked: 5594
Quote:
just have them build it with pressure treated and add on to it at a later time?

Moving into a new house will result in an avalanche of money spending opportunities. Take the free deck unless they will give you a fair value credit back toward other options you want to add.
pkinneb likes this.
post #50 of 73 Old 10-20-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Moving into a new house will result in an avalanche of money spending opportunities. Take the free deck unless they will give you a fair value credit back toward other options you want to add.

Our last builder gave us $1,000 credit for opting out of them installing a 10x10 concrete patio. If this builder’s deal is anything like that then I’ll probably just let them do a pressure treated deck and expand as we feel we need/want in the future.

It would probably be odd not having something of a deck due to the walkout basement resulting in the main floor being elevated 9’+ in the air.

post #51 of 73 Old 10-20-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would weight the convenience of having the builder deck versus having another project upon moving in.

Another single row thought is to splay the side walls, or do a series of stepped back wall sections.

The entry might be a PITA for moving stuff in and out of the theater

I think it’d be more convenient to have something that can be changed or added to at a later date rather than nothing at all.

I have seen some examples of the stepped back walls that I thought look pretty cool. Can’t recall them off the top of my head right now, but I’m sure I have them saved somewhere.

Your sentiments about the entryway in the most recent layout are what I was thinking as well.

post #52 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know what your local building codes are for a landing, but I think with the height, you could build a landing at step 2 height, and maybe push this area a bit wider. Even be able
to host the support posts in a column. It's a low seat count theater, but the thinking is it could be inexpensive to DIY, and yet be rather substantial in looks and performance. The main
features would be the low noise floor potential, and the projector and av rack not in the room. That area could also host media in a rather large and inexpensive manner also.

The area outside the room could be a lobby and snack bar if so desired. Budget and dollar creep but also something that could be done over the long haul.

It's near impossible to read the dimensions on that diagram but I do wonder if there is the spatial potential to enter at riser height, with the entry right at the end of the stairs, with the riser
height being two step height. Both of these ideas would mean a single step, on the sides of the landing. Might need to skip recliners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RJ.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2639056   Click image for larger version

Name:	RJ - 1b.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	2639060  
post #53 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Found the pdf...

I think there's room for five seats wide, with narrower seat options. The focus is an inexpensive to build room, that works with around
the basement obstacles, and can hit a certain higher end level, by leveraging a smaller seat count.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RJloper9 minimax.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	2639138  
Rjloper9 likes this.
post #54 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know what your local building codes are for a landing, but I think with the height, you could build a landing at step 2 height, and maybe push this area a bit wider. Even be able to host the support posts in a column.
Tedd, I love the idea of adding a landing somewhere on the staircase. If I could do a landing and turn it to the left that would completely open up the space you showed in the first diagram. I could then have my half bath in the area at the bottom of the steps and use the area under the staircase as a walkway over into the main basement living area which would be located under the main floor living area. This would allow me to keep unfinished storage space where they furnace and water heater are as well. Would just have to figure out where to put the sliding glass doors for the walkout basement.

The egress window shown in the picture will NOT be there in our basement. This would allow to expand passed the area it's located on the plans I provided.

I wont be able to get my formal plans/layout until about February when we make our final selections.

The pic below should be easier to read since I didn't upload it via phone.

Thanks again, Tedd!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	2639154  
post #55 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Could the builder flip the beams and move one support pad over, to match the flipped length of the beams? Then stick the sliding door on the other side of the beam?
You might even rework the ductwork to a wider/shallower profile in the theater, and drop the ceiling. Much would depend on the overheard speakers and spot lighting.

Some flex in the back wall would allow for a landing with new step. (I expect code will look for at least 7' of headroom, and 36-42 of landing depth.)

It still comes back to what one would want for the rest of the basement, to me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RJloper9 large - Copy - Copy.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	2639194  

Last edited by Tedd; 11-10-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #56 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe there is just enough room for two rows and a shallow baffle wall, and enter at riser height, via the landing?
That alcove looks like a potential IB sub.

A bit of a rough idea tossed out there, but there might be some solid potential assuming they will flip those two lengths of beams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RJloper9 ddd.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	2639240  
post #57 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A single step height riser, with the beams flipped, and a low front row, might be a design idea. (I believe this is an Art Install room.)

With the door in the very back corner, one could do a simple straight edge riser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RJloper9 2 rows.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	2639250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Luxeburg.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	2639252  
post #58 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Could the builder flip the beams and move one support pad over, to match the flipped length of the beams? Then stick the sliding door on the other side of the beam?
You might even rework the ductwork to a wider/shallower profile in the theater, and drop the ceiling. Much would depend on the overheard speakers and spot lighting.

Some flex in the back wall would allow for a landing with new step. (I expect code will look for at least 7' of headroom, and 36-42 of landing depth.)

It still comes back to what one would want for the rest of the basement, to me
I will be able to find out options and pricing for beam beefing up or relocating once we meet to make our final selections come February. Kinda long time out, but gives me time to plan and think of options i suppose.

I have attached something I thought up after you mentioned about the landing. Adding a 90 degree 3 step landing to the left or right at the bottom of the staircase and then utilizing the full amount of space in front of the steps for the theater room. Sliding doors to rear of home (walkout basement) would then be over in the living area that is either accessible via a 90 degree right turn at the bottom of the steps or by utilizing a small "hallway" from the 90 degree left steps over to the living area. Only other option I have to consider is where to locate a half bath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layout option.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2639296  
post #59 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt there's three steps to be had, but you likely don't need three steps worth of height.

With the door there, and the living space there, why not simply open it all up even more, and put the storage below the stairs and lengthen the theater to the notch in the side wall?
post #60 of 73 Old 11-10-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I doubt there's three steps to be had, but you likely don't need three steps worth of height.

With the door there, and the living space there, why not simply open it all up even more, and put the storage below the stairs and lengthen the theater to the notch in the side wall?
So run the 1-2 steps after the landing to the right into the living space area? I suppose I could put the storage under the stairs. I was thinking of maintenance of the utilities and trying to fit in a half bath as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page