Best location for future basement HT based on floor plan? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 931
A landing with a turn of the stairs, is about the height and what code will demand there. I expect you will hear that is a minimum of 7' of headroom between a landing and the header
that is supporting the sides of the stairwell.

Whichever way you turn, will require one step down from a landing if you build a landing at the second step height. I expect that would be between 14" and 16". You also will need to decide where to enter
the theater, and which way it is orientated. That landing could be elongated and allow one to enter at riser level, if so desired. There's lots of space and lots of options, so it is maybe more about how
inexpensive one could build substantial, with a new home coming in at the top end of a budget. You also need to work with those beams and ductwork, and make sure there's space for spot lights and
overhead speakers.

It appears you will need an ejector pit and pump for the waste line, and that lower area where the waste line clean out exits the house, or the front wall area in the front corner, where all
the waste lines are, would make for a logical location.

I don't if you want the room volume but I could see that space being even more open if you simply kept the stair area open beneath and let the stairs float in the overall space. Now that would be
more finished space and more cost.

You can play with ideas for now, but you might find the builder or trades, do each home a wee bit different, and the plans are basically just a rough estimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 11-12-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How about something like this?

I would embrace the steel beams and maybe even treat the HVAC as a loft would. Leaving a support post exposed and leaving the area open to the living space
beneath the stairs could really open up that area. I would look at ways of making the staircase into something more visually substantial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	676.7 KB
ID:	2640030  
post #63 of 73 Old 11-13-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Found the pdf...I think there's room for five seats wide, with narrower seat options. The focus is an inexpensive to build room, that works with around
the basement obstacles, and can hit a certain higher end level, by leveraging a smaller seat count.
I really like this idea with the landing with the step down to either side of the staircase. Would allow to maximize space on both sides of the stairs. I'm really leaning towards utilizing all or most of the area under the bedroom for the theater space. There would probably be very few times it would cause any sort of disturbance even in the evenings as we usually end up in bed around the same time anyway. I feel that space has the least amount of hurdles and provides the most workable space.

Quote:
How about something like this?
I would embrace the steel beams and maybe even treat the HVAC as a loft would. Leaving a support post exposed and leaving the area open to the living space
beneath the stairs could really open up that area. I would look at ways of making the staircase into something more visually substantial.
I like this idea too, however, i think my wife would prefer a more "finished" look for the ceiling. Wrapping a post with reclaimed wood would definitely be a look i would consider if a post needed it.

Thanks for all your input. What do you use to make your mock-ups you are providing me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 11-13-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use GIMP, an image editing program.

I would drywall the ceiling and simply expose the beam. The HVAC could be boxed, or simply sprayed out. (I kind of envisioned a mix
of wood and steel would be a really nice look for that space. Sort of a Magnolia look, with a touch of industrial.)

I have used Fleckstone and sprayed out a steel support post in the past, with great results. I could have framed it in, but I wanted to keep
the column as minimal as possible. I also wouldn't be above splitting a large diameter round column, and encasing the column.
post #65 of 73 Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A two row version of that space.

I think you could dodge the HVAC and beams with the overhead speakers. The front row could be shifted
back and cut into the low riser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ryan 2 rows of 3.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	2640756  
post #66 of 73 Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I use GIMP, an image editing program.

I would drywall the ceiling and simply expose the beam. The HVAC could be boxed, or simply sprayed out. (I kind of envisioned a mix

of wood and steel would be a really nice look for that space. Sort of a Magnolia look, with a touch of industrial.)

Oh ok. We have that program at work. I’ll have to check it out.

I see what you mean now. That Magnolia look is stellar when done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #67 of 73 Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A two row version of that space.

I think you could dodge the HVAC and beams with the overhead speakers. The front row could be shifted

back and cut into the low riser.

I like this layout a lot. I probably wouldn’t have a huge need for a workshop, but I’m sure I could find some use for that space regardless

post #68 of 73 Old 11-14-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I lost track of that second support post at the end of the stairs, below the stairs, and stuck the av rack right there. I envision a small feature wall slightly recessed there,
but the av rack would have to void the support post, so depending on room width, it might not end up tightly tied to the entry door.

The shop was more about trying to put a limit to the amount of finished space, since you are coming in near the top of your budget.
post #69 of 73 Old 11-14-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I lost track of that second support post at the end of the stairs, below the stairs, and stuck the av rack right there. I envision a small feature wall slightly recessed there,

but the av rack would have to void the support post, so depending on room width, it might not end up tightly tied to the entry door.

The shop was more about trying to put a limit to the amount of finished space, since you are coming in near the top of your budget.

I’ll find a way to make it all work. The basement will be a down the road project anyway for now. I’ll be planning for awhile so I can get it right when it’s time.

post #70 of 73 Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

@Tedd I made my way back over to the model house and took some measurements of the bottom of the basement steps. It appears I could get about a 43" landing at the bottom if I go with a landing at first step height. I have attached the photos I took with measurements.

I think this is definitely the way I'm going to go. Still not sure about a door at the bottom of the steps into the theater or somewhere else, but either way it *should* work out just fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3935.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	2648582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	2648586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3939.jpg
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	2648588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3940.jpg
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	2648594  
post #71 of 73 Old 12-02-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's more then enough space. But the model home and your actual home, might vary a bit.
post #72 of 73 Old 12-04-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There's more then enough space. But the model home and your actual home, might vary a bit.

Assuming things are the same or very close in the final house, would you do a landing at the bottom step height or gain a little more room and go up to start the landing at the second step height?

post #73 of 73 Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I might take the second step height, but that would mean there needs to be 7' of headroom clearance there (or whatever the local building code expects). It also would depend
on that post and how I could hide it, inside the theater, to create a slightly wider theater.

I would simply look at that option, as an potential option at this point. The idea being, if you want or need a little more separation between side surrounds and seats, that might
be a scenario to consider. A little extra theater volume also doesn't hurt. Your seating needs aren't large either, so maybe you simply don't need to put any money or energy there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page