28Likes

post #1 of 70 Old 10-10-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The Big Daddy Theater

Well, its a theater, and its big, and I have five kids. Hence, the Big Daddy theater. We love watching movies together and this will hopefully be the place to be for movies and parties. I'd say it will be used for about 60% movies and about 20% gaming and 20% sports parties. No music happening here.

So here is my diagram:

The room is about 29 feet long and 24.5 feet wide. It has double sliding telescoping doors in the back of the room that can close it up movies, or be kept open for sports parties.

You can see on one side of the room is a kitchenette area, really just a sink with a mini-fridge. I wanted a place to set the snacks and drinks during movies and parties.

Two rows of seating and right now I'm thinking couches rather than theater chairs. They are more versatile because you can pack them full for large groups or spread out in comfort with small groups. Then there is a bar with chairs so people can eat and watch the game. I like to have parties with food and sports, and it isn't fun to eat with a plate in your lap, so the bar will be nice.

One thing the diagram doesn't show is the area behind the bar will be LVP flooring. Everything forward will be carpet.

Equipment:
Screen: 160” diagonal Screen Innovations Fixed Frame screen, Slate 1.2 ALR material
Speakers: Paradigm CI Elite E7-LCR https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-wall-...i-elite-e7-lcr
For the surrounds, Paradigm Elite E80-IW and for the ceiling Atmos: Paradigme Elite E80-R.
Projector: Epson 6050 UB
Receiver: Anthem MRX 1120

Subwoofers: Facing the screen, looking to the right, you can see a recessed black box area that will house my subwoofers. It is basically an area that is framed in. I'm thinking of stacking two SVS PB-3000s there. They will sit on the concrete footing, but I'll surround them tight with 3/4 mdf with just a minimal gap for air cooling. In the back of the room, behind the chair, I'd like to put a SVS PC-4000, but due to aesthetic considerations my wife might only allow the SVS PC-2000, since it is lower in height and will hide behind the chair. Yes, I know that co-locating two subwoofers in one place up front isn't ideal for sound. But my wife wants them off the floor and out of the way, so that is the likely location. I've had a few conversations with the SVS guys and they have said that the dual PB-3000s up front just might be enough for this room, but putting the PC-2000 in the back wouldn't hurt. They even talked me out of spending even more on dual SB-16 Ultras, they said the PB3000s will be much better low end for movies, my main use (I can't fit PB-16 Ultras).

Sound isolation? Nah. I spent a bunch of time and money on my last theater, and it ended up being super sound proof, but it wasn't worth the money or effort. No bedrooms share walls with the theater and above it is a kitchen with a gypcrete floor. We only watch movies at night and sound just isn't an issue. It would be pretty tough anyway with those big sliding doors in the back.

I'll post some more pics of the actual space soon.
darthray, Ladeback and gibson61 like this.

Last edited by 3fingerbrown; 11-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post
Well, its a theater, and its big, and I'm a decently big guy with five kids. Hence, the Big Daddy theater. We love watching movies together and this will hopefully be the place to be for movies and parties. I'd say it will be used for about 60% movies and about 20% gaming and 20% sports parties. No music happening here.

So here is my diagram:

The room is about 29 feet long and 24.5 feet wide. It has double sliding telescoping doors in the back of the room that can close it up movies, or be kept open for sports parties.

You can see on one side of the room is a kitchenette area, really just a sink with a mini-fridge. I wanted a place to set the snacks and drinks during movies and parties.

Two rows of seating and right now I'm thinking couches rather than theater chairs. They are more versatile because you can pack them full for large groups or spread out in comfort with small groups. Then there is a bar with chairs so people can eat and watch the game. I like to have parties with food and sports, and it isn't fun to eat with a plate in your lap, so the bar will be nice.

One thing the diagram doesn't show is the area behind the bar will be LVP flooring. Everything forward will be carpet.

Equipment:

Screen: 170” diagonal Screen Innovations Fixed Frame screen, Slate 1.2 material

Speakers: Paradigm CI Elite E5-LCR https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-wall-...i-elite-e5-lcr

For the surrounds, Paradigm Elite E80-IW and for the ceiling Atmos: Paradigme Elite E80-R.

Projector: Epson 6050 UB

Receiver: Anthem 1120

Subwoofers: Facing the screen, looking to the right, you can see a recessed black box area that will house my subwoofers. It is basically an area that is framed in. I'm thinking of stacking two SVS PB-3000s there. They will sit on the concrete footing, but I'll surround them tight with 3/4 mdf with just a minimal gap for air cooling. In the back of the room, behind the chair, I'd like to put a SVS PC-4000, but due to aesthetic considerations my wife might only allow the SVS PC-2000, since it is lower in height and will hide behind the chair. Yes, I know that co-locating two subwoofers in one place up front isn't ideal for sound. But my wife wants them off the floor and out of the way, so that is the likely location. I've had a few conversations with the SVS guys and they have said that the dual PB-3000s up front just might be enough for this room, but putting the PC-2000 in the back wouldn't hurt. They even talked me out of spending even more on dual SB-16 Ultras, they said the PB3000s will be much better low end for movies, my main use (I can't fit PB-16 Ultras).

Sound isolation? Nah. I spent a bunch of time and money on my last theater, and it ended up being super sound proof, but it wasn't worth the money or effort. No bedrooms share walls with the theater and above it is a kitchen with a gypcrete floor. We only watch movies at night and sound just isn't an issue. It would be pretty tough anyway with those big sliding doors in the back.

I'll post some more pics of the actual space soon.
This sounds like a fantastic theater. I would offer 3 suggestions. Baffle wall, AT screen and relocating your subwoofers to the baffle wall. You definitely have the space and you could have your LCR and subwoofers behind the screen
LCR could all be vertical, the same exact speakers and at ear level and hidden behind the screen in the baffle wall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 70 Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
This sounds like a fantastic theater. I would offer 3 suggestions. Baffle wall, AT screen and relocating your subwoofers to the baffle wall. You definitely have the space and you could have your LCR and subwoofers behind the screen
LCR could all be vertical, the same exact speakers and at ear level and hidden behind the screen in the baffle wall.
Good thinking, I thought about this but I just don't have a lot of depth for this theater, given its width. It is 24 feet wide and 29 feet deep, so it is close to being a square. If I lose 2-3 feet of depth for a baffle wall, the room would be square shaped and the front row would be too close to the screen. I would almost have to narrow the width of the room if I also shrunk its depth, and neither are happening...

I have an AT screen now, and its okay, but I'm pretty excited about the Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 material. It looks better than the AT version. This is an ambient light rejecting material that is awesome. To add an acoustic transparent screen would also be ALR would be about $4k extra if I stayed with Screen Innovations. Ouch.

https://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/slate/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 10-10-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good thinking, I thought about this but I just don't have a lot of depth for this theater, given its width. It is 24 feet wide and 29 feet deep, so it is close to being a square. If I lose 2-3 feet of depth for a baffle wall, the room would be square shaped and the front row would be too close to the screen. I would almost have to narrow the width of the room if I also shrunk its depth, and neither are happening...

I have an AT screen now, and its okay, but I'm pretty excited about the Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 material. It looks better than the AT version. This is an ambient light rejecting material that is awesome. To add an acoustic transparent screen would also be ALR would be about $4k extra if I stayed with Screen Innovations. Ouch.

https://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/slate/
Very true. I agree preserving even a little of that rectangular shape with the speakers on the shorter wall will help with some sound reflections. You may still need some room treatments although if the doors in the back are mostly open that should reduce some of the sound reflections. Paradigm makes some amazing speakers but they are quite pricey. Jeff Meier of Accucal AV says for the price these speakers can't be beat and the drivers and tweeters are customizable. Just something to peruse. Can't go wrong with Paradigm.

https://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/

post #5 of 70 Old 10-11-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay here are a few pics of the space so far. The space is pre-wired, drywall is up, and the flooring is installed in the back, though it is covered in RAM board so you can't see it. Risers are built, and I taped out on the wall the approximate spaces for the architectural columns and the screen.

pkinneb likes this.
post #6 of 70 Old 10-11-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay here are a few pics of the space so far. The space is pre-wired, drywall is up, and the flooring is installed in the back, though it is covered in RAM board so you can't see it. Risers are built, and I taped out on the wall the approximate spaces for the architectural columns and the screen.

Man that is going to be such a sweet home theater thanks for sharing the pics

post #7 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
That's a huge space. My current framed space is 14'x25'-9"x8'-10" and have been thinking of going 20'x25' with an false wall with an 166" 2.4:1 AT screen. No I am only thinking of going with on row of 6 seats with a bar and bar stools. Most of the time it will just be my wife and maybe some friends over once and a while. I have a beam running through my room with a column 16' from my front wall. If I could move my column it would be nice to do what you have, but not sure how many times a year I would fill that many seats. I take it you have a big family? This will be a fun build to watch.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #8 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah we have 5 kids so it is a decent sized crowd when we watch movies as a family, and I enjoy having sports parties with friends, or hosting big gaming parties for my teenage son and his buddies. You can spend your money on lots of things like sports cars and motorcycles, but I love the idea of having our house be the fun place to hang out so my kids and all their friends want to be in our home instead of off who-knows-where.

The next item on my list is planning for acoustic panels. I like the look of these panels that run tight to the columns:

I'm going to be doing some similar looking architectural columns, so I could duplicate this look pretty closely. But I'm not quite sure how to build these panels. I'm guessing you have to frame them each separately and then somehow hang them on the wall with Z clips or some other fastener, or maybe just liquid nails... I was hoping there would be some way to build them in place on the wall, and avoid having to build frames.

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step on how to do these types of acoustic panels? And do people usually do one inch deep panels? Two inches might be a little too dead. But I do have a big chunk of wood floor in the back of the room for the bar area, so I want to compensate for that...
Luddy111dog likes this.
post #9 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah we have 5 kids so it is a decent sized crowd when we watch movies as a family, and I enjoy having sports parties with friends, or hosting big gaming parties for my teenage son and his buddies. You can spend your money on lots of things like sports cars and motorcycles, but I love the idea of having our house be the fun place to hang out so my kids and all their friends want to be in our home instead of off who-knows-where.

The next item on my list is planning for acoustic panels. I like the look of these panels that run tight to the columns:

I'm going to be doing some similar looking architectural columns, so I could duplicate this look pretty closely. But I'm not quite sure how to build these panels. I'm guessing you have to frame them each separately and then somehow hang them on the wall with Z clips or some other fastener, or maybe just liquid nails... I was hoping there would be some way to build them in place on the wall, and avoid having to build frames.

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step on how to do these types of acoustic panels? And do people usually do one inch deep panels? Two inches might be a little too dead. But I do have a big chunk of wood floor in the back of the room for the bar area, so I want to compensate for that...
As a father of a seven-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl I am very glad to hear a father of teenagers feeling the same way I feel about my kids now I'd rather have them at our house hanging out with us than who knows where. Your children don't know how lucky they are to have a mom and dad that is thinking about them not just right now but thinking about their future. Good luck with the room it looks like it's going to be amazing

Rjloper9 and Luddy111dog like this.
post #10 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

These folks will actually provide free acoustical Sound Advice over the phone and you can even send them recordings of your room and measurements and drawings and all kinds of things they actually provide an amazing service especially given that it is free.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/?gclid=...oaAlW0EALw_wcB

post #11 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As a father of a seven-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl I am very glad to hear a father of teenagers feeling the same way I feel about my kids now I'd rather have them at our house hanging out with us than who knows where. Your children don't know how lucky they are to have a mom and dad that is thinking about them not just right now but thinking about their future. Good luck with the room it looks like it's going to be amazing

My son is 10, but acts like a teenager at times and is not much in to watching movies or sporting events, but does like his friends to come over play at our house, because we have a big house and yard. Now he likes to ride bikes around our neighborhood, but I bet once the basement and theater are finished he will like it more. Also when I plan to go to a bigger scope screen I will probably setup my current projector and 120" screen in his area in the basement for gaming he will be even more popular. Haven't told the wife that is my plan. We entertain but most of the time our friends want to hang out outside more then inside.

Here is my current setup and what I am thinking of doing. To build it this way I would have to move a column.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.23.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	2627790   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.20x26.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	582.8 KB
ID:	2627792   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.20x26 closeup.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	640.5 KB
ID:	2627794  

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #12 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
My son is 10, but acts like a teenager at times and is not much in to watching movies or sporting events, but does like his friends to come over play at our house, because we have a big house and yard. Now he likes to ride bikes around our neighborhood, but I bet once the basement and theater are finished he will like it more. Also when I plan to go to a bigger scope screen I will probably setup my current projector and 120" screen in his area in the basement for gaming he will be even more popular. Haven't told the wife that is my plan. We entertain but most of the time our friends want to hang out outside more then inside.

Here is my current setup and what I am thinking of doing. To build it this way I would have to move a column.
Move that column! Move that column! Move that column! I know much easier said than done.

Ladeback likes this.
post #13 of 70 Old 10-14-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Move that column! Move that column! Move that column! I know much easier said than done.

Yep, I will need to have a structure engineer look at it to see if I can and how far. Just not sure the wife would like me spending money on it. The other thought is to turn the plan to run north and south with two rows of 5 maybe.

post #14 of 70 Old 10-15-2019, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does anyone have any advice on how to build those acoustic panels that run tight from column to column? I’m thinking I have to take a sheet of 1/2” MDF, cut it precisely to fit with about a 1/4” gap on both sides, and then frame a 1” thick wood border around it to create the recessed area for the acoustic insulation and have something to staple the fabric to. And then I’ll have to figure out how to hang them on the walls with some type of clips or maybe liquid nails, but they have to stand up to years of abuse. Or is there an easier way?

Theater 1.0- The Foreclosure Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...theater-4.html
Theater 2.0 under progress: The Big Daddy Theater. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html
post #15 of 70 Old 10-15-2019, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doing some searching I think I may have found an answer for my question of how to do full-wall acoustic panel coverage. There are several companies that sell a track system that mounts to the wall and allows you to tuck the fabric in tightly using a tool. Pretty cool actually. This one is made by Fabricmate:

https://fabricmate.com/fabric-wall-finishing-system/

Does anyone have any experiences with fabricmate or similar systems and could point me to their build thread or other sources?
post #16 of 70 Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doing some searching I think I may have found an answer for my question of how to do full-wall acoustic panel coverage. There are several companies that sell a track system that mounts to the wall and allows you to tuck the fabric in tightly using a tool. Pretty cool actually. This one is made by Fabricmate:

https://fabricmate.com/fabric-wall-finishing-system/

Does anyone have any experiences with fabricmate or similar systems and could point me to their build thread or other sources?
I was just at this local home theater this weekend and @ChldsPlay may be able to help. He has deflections and absorption behind his fabric panels in his theater. Check out the second link as well. His theater is pretty awesome.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...r-build-7.html

https://www.avsforum.com/ht-of-the-m...hodor-theater/

post #17 of 70 Old 10-16-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My theater is being built under my kitchen and living room and have been going around on spending the extra money on soundproofing or not. The thing I want to control is sound from above coming in and hearing my HVAC come of or hear my sump pump run. I was thinking maybe just do double drywall and green glue all around and decouple would be enough, but do you think it is worth it? I don't plan on having mega bass in my room like 8-18" subs, but may do the BOSS platform for my chairs.

My plan I uploaded is just a plan with all the subs. My wife probably won't go for that.

Last edited by Ladeback; 10-16-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #18 of 70 Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post

My theater is being built under my kitchen and living room and have been going around on spending the extra money on soundproofing or not. The thing I want to control is sound from above coming in and hearing my HVAC come of or hear my sump pump run. I was thinking maybe just do double drywall and green glue all around and decouple would be enough, but do you think it is worth it? I don't plan on having mega bass in my room like 8-18" subs, but may do the BOSS platform for my chairs.

My plan I uploaded is just a plan with all the subs. My wife probably won't go for that.

I spent a lot of extra for resilient channel double drywall etc. etc. cuts the highs down from traveling but the whole house still shakes from the bass, not going to stop that unless your in a full concrete bunker or a separate structure.
post #19 of 70 Old 10-25-2019, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I’ve decided on my speakers, going with the Paradigm Elite E7s. I’m scaling the screen back to a measly 160”. That will be a little better for the front row which is 12 feet away.

What do you guys think about a hush box for the Epson 6050UB projector? With a 160” screen it might have to play on the higher powered mode to be bright enough, which I hear makes the fan a little louder. And then I have to decide to buy or make one.

Theater 1.0- The Foreclosure Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...theater-4.html
Theater 2.0 under progress: The Big Daddy Theater. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html
post #20 of 70 Old 10-27-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
I spent a lot of extra for resilient channel double drywall etc. etc. cuts the highs down from traveling but the whole house still shakes from the bass, not going to stop that unless your in a full concrete bunker or a separate structure.
I don't have a lot of bass and don't really think I will, but will plan for it by wiring up front for extra subs. My room is framed with some drywall tacked up and my wife hasn't complained when I watch movies much. I would have liked to have our living room as our theater; because it is has a wall 18'x12' and the the living room goes into our open concept kitchen about 35' long. I at least have a 75" 4K TV and 5.1 sound.

post #21 of 70 Old 10-27-2019, 01:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 477 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6239 Post(s)
Liked: 5973
Quote:

Resilient channel is prone to installation errors and I suspect that is part of the problem here. Basement theaters constructed locally with clips and channel, double 5/8 DW and green glue do not shake the bedrooms on the second floor. There are many other details that go into sound isolation but it can be done reasonably successfully. It won't be dead silent in immediately adjacent rooms but as you get further away in the house it is not noticeable nor an irritant.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-27-2019 at 01:27 PM.
post #22 of 70 Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Resilient channel is prone to installation errors and I suspect that is part of the problem here. Basement theaters constructed locally with clips and channel, double 5/8 DW and green glue do not shake the bedrooms on the second floor. There are many other details that go into sound isolation but it can be done reasonably successfully. It won't be dead silent in immediately adjacent rooms but as you get further away in the house it is not noticeable nor an irritant.

you sort of missed the point - i am not saying what i did does not work as it should, i was saying much like LADEBACK - was it worth all the extra effort and time (and money) to reduce the db levels from leaving the room , and how much did i drop that really - How much money would it take? and as to what construction to achieve 0 disruption in same house
There are many way to construct walls in a room for sound and they all reduce noise levels but they do not stop the noise completely.
I feel the base layer of 1/2" sound board in my wall system is the single most important part of the equation - cost vs. sound deduction
Boilermaker744 likes this.
post #23 of 70 Old 10-28-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
you sort of missed the point - i am not saying what i did does not work as it should, i was saying much like LADEBACK - was it worth all the extra effort and time (and money) to reduce the db levels from leaving the room , and how much did i drop that really - How much money would it take? and as to what construction to achieve 0 disruption in same house
There are many way to construct walls in a room for sound and they all reduce noise levels but they do not stop the noise completely.
I feel the base layer of 1/2" sound board in my wall system is the single most important part of the equation - cost vs. sound deduction
I think the suggestion is that your soundproofing may not be nearly as effective as it could be. I can turn my system up to nearly painful levels and virtually no sound, including bass, gets upstairs.
post #24 of 70 Old 10-28-2019, 03:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 477 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6239 Post(s)
Liked: 5973
Quote:
but the whole house still shakes from the bass, not going to stop that unless your in a full concrete bunker or a separate structure.

You missed my point that this is not a factual statement.
post #25 of 70 Old 10-29-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pardon me fellas, but I have some questions about you know, the theater after which this thread was named.

I was planning on co-locating a pair of SVS PB-3000 subwoofers in the front corner, to the right of the screen. I realize that putting subwoofers inside a cabinet is not ideal (it isn't a cabinet really, just a framed out area, the subs would actually be sitting on concrete and encased in 3/4 mdf). And the subwoofers would stick out proud of the wall by an inch or two, firing right into the room. And the SVS subs I'm looking at are front firing.

After looking at the space of things here, it would be possible for me to fit a single SVS PB-16 Ultra, or, if that wasn't enough, I could do dual SVS PB-16 Ultras, one stacked on top of another, snugly fit inside that cabinet.

However, would what would sound the best? Yes, I know it would be better to put one sub on the left side of the screen. I've wired for that, but for now, aesthetic limitations are limiting them to this cabinet (wife and interior designer are against me). Maybe I could move things around one day and pretend that the PB-16 is too heavy to put back.

In the back corner, could go an SVS PC-2000, behind that chair. Or not...

I'm leaning towards the dual PB-3000s and the PC-2000. Looking at the specifications, it looks like the dual SB-3000s would have more mid-level slam, though they wouldn't match a single PB-16 Ultras in super low end rumble. Of course, dual PB-16s would maybe wake up the neighborhood...

Thoughts?

post #26 of 70 Old 10-29-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pardon me fellas, but I have some questions about you know, the theater after which this thread was named.

I was planning on co-locating a pair of SVS PB-3000 subwoofers in the front corner, to the right of the screen. I realize that putting subwoofers inside a cabinet is not ideal (it isn't a cabinet really, just a framed out area, the subs would actually be sitting on concrete and encased in 3/4 mdf). And the subwoofers would stick out proud of the wall by an inch or two, firing right into the room. And the SVS subs I'm looking at are front firing.

After looking at the space of things here, it would be possible for me to fit a single SVS PB-16 Ultra, or, if that wasn't enough, I could do dual SVS PB-16 Ultras, one stacked on top of another, snugly fit inside that cabinet.

However, would what would sound the best? Yes, I know it would be better to put one sub on the left side of the screen. I've wired for that, but for now, aesthetic limitations are limiting them to this cabinet (wife and interior designer are against me). Maybe I could move things around one day and pretend that the PB-16 is too heavy to put back.

In the back corner, could go an SVS PC-2000, behind that chair. Or not...

I'm leaning towards the dual PB-3000s and the PC-2000. Looking at the specifications, it looks like the dual SB-3000s would have more mid-level slam, though they wouldn't match a single PB-16 Ultras in super low end rumble. Of course, dual PB-16s would maybe wake up the neighborhood...

Thoughts?
Would the wife and designer allow for front placement, left and right of screen if you bought, built, or had built some custom enclosures that would be focal points/highlights of the front wall? Could you put one subwoofer inside the kitchenette cabinets in the back and the other right where you have it now? I think you would have more of an overall sweet spot with that placement. If you did that I think you could forgo the PC 2000 and maybe go dual 4000's.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-29-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #27 of 70 Old 10-29-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would stick with putting the subs in the front and maybe make your third row bar a Nearfield with some 18" or 24" subs in it. Check out @d_c 's build where he has to Dual Stereo Integrity HS24 nearfield sealed subs in his second row bar that is awesome to watch a movie or listen to music. Especially in the MLP. In have sat through two movies in his theater and it is very impressive. This is just a suggestion.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html

post #28 of 70 Old 10-30-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good suggestions guys.

Unfortunately the subwoofer inside the kitchenette cabinet is a no-go, I tried that route but the wife wants all that space.

Putting subs inside the bar is another idea that other guys on the forum have executed with amazing results. I considered this but it just takes a lot more time and skill than I have to dedicate right now.

So I'm going with dual SVS PB-4000s. I'm going to try and talk the wife into letting me do them in the front right and left screen corners. If not, they'll go into that recessed cabinet... Either way, a pair of those is going to be so far beyond any subwoofer I've owned, it will be awesome.

Update: My carpenter is cranking away. I really like how these columns turned out:

post #29 of 70 Old 10-30-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good suggestions guys.

Unfortunately the subwoofer inside the kitchenette cabinet is a no-go, I tried that route but the wife wants all that space.

Putting subs inside the bar is another idea that other guys on the forum have executed with amazing results. I considered this but it just takes a lot more time and skill than I have to dedicate right now.

So I'm going with dual SVS PB-4000s. I'm going to try and talk the wife into letting me do them in the front right and left screen corners. If not, they'll go into that recessed cabinet... Either way, a pair of those is going to be so far beyond any subwoofer I've owned, it will be awesome.

Update: My carpenter is cranking away. I really like how these columns turned out:

Those columns turned out so well. Going to be a great feature in the room. Are you putting speakers in them?

post #30 of 70 Old 10-31-2019, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, speakers go right and left, and below. Paradigm Elite E7s.

Here are some more questions for you guys:

I'm planning on doing acoustic panels that fill the entire space in between the columns, with the fabricate system, like this:

Question: Should I go with a 1" thick acoustic panel? Or half-inch thickness? All the walls would be treated, minus the columns. The ceiling would remain untreated. The back of the floor is a hard LVP flooring product, the front 2/3 of the theater is carpet. The 1/2" insulation has an acoustic absorption rate of .6 NRC, the 1 inch is .75 NRC.

How much is too much acoustic treatment?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page