17 inch pillar of bass trapping? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
17 inch pillar of bass trapping?

So I have a pillar in my basement that is basically a 17 by 17 inch drywall 'box' built up around a metal support beam. It is in a great position to be my rear speaker, and I had full intensions of building a twin post on the other side of the room to give myself some symmetry and a place to mount the speakers.

Than while browsing GiK and other realtraps etc I noticed that the measurement of the post are pretty much spot on for the Soffit that Gik sells. So my question is...

Were I to strip away the drywall, replace it with some acoustic material (703 seems to be the normal), give if a nice fabric wrap... would I have a decent functioning bass traps?

Given that they are in the room rather than the corners would make it pretty hard to predict the frequency but if the pillar is there doing nothing as is, would it be worth the work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_170856.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	2628898   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_130716.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2628900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement measurements.png
Views:	21
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2628902  

Last edited by Crazy8canuck; 10-18-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

more research leaves me with new questions...

I should be using a LESS dense material because of the thickness of the pillar it seems. Very doable and I could still make a wood frame to keep the 'bulge' effect to a minimum by just having the fabric wrap and 'float' around an absorbent core.

However I am pretty curious about three things.

1) is there custom sized BAD panels or scatter plates available that I could use to add some high end diffusion and provide a rigid box at the same time? I've seen some DIY options but honestly getting into patents etc starts to get a little out of my league.

2) in lieu of a decent scatterplate or BAD panel option, is there a tremendous downside to having one or two inches of a more rigid panel as the box walls? Is there another option im not seeing for the walls of the pillar?

3) Should all 4 sides of the panel be open to absorption?

Last edited by Crazy8canuck; 10-18-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

either I have the PERFECT plan (doubtful) or I am so off base nobody will bother trying to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5966 Post(s)
Liked: 5540
I wouldn't have built a 17 inch pillar around a 4-5 inch pole. Can't imagine trying to use it as a bass absorber in that room position will have much of an effect.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I wouldn't have built a 17 inch pillar around a 4-5 inch pole. Can't imagine trying to use it as a bass absorber in that room position will have much of an effect.
The pillar is there regardless, otherwise i'd have it all open. However the builders already placed it and I hated it since day one.

It is however a good spot to mount the rear speakers AND its where my light killing curtains will retract behind. SO if I am going to have two pillars in my room regardless, I thought having them serve as bass absorbers with possible diffusion for high end on them would be making the most of the situation.

I ran the giant air gap through acousticmodelling.com calculator and it came up with great low end, even if the amount of energy that will actually come into contact with the pillars is considerably lower than it would in the corners, would it not help the decay time of 20-50 hz that even a corner trap wouldn't touch?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-19 200847.png
Views:	7
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	2629322  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 788
You may as well make it the bass trap you are planning, otherwise it will result in funky room reflections from the speakers.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I also have mostly hollow cavities on the side walls that are 19 inches deep. Would that be a better place to build a bass trap? Same plan... pull off the front drywall, stuff it with rock wool fabric cover it (or bad panel)?

Would I leave the sides as drywall for that or would I be better off taking the sides off too?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190812_130644.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2629630  

Last edited by Crazy8canuck; 10-20-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page