Bass trap made out of existing structures - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bass trap made out of existing structures

SO my new home builders love to go over kill with big and box structures around things that reaaaally don't warrant it.

Two structures in my basement are; an almost entirely empty vertical 'duct' against the wall, and a pillar. Both are drywall structures thats about 90% air inside.

I am rolling with it though and actually mirroring both as they sperate the room nicely and the speakers need a place to mount. However... I feel like its a wasted opportunity to not leverage the obscene size of them as bass traps.

The wall box is 19 inches deep and 46 inches wide.
The pillar is 17 x 17.

questions are...

1) if I cut a large hole into the drywall, stuffed it with some good old rockwool, and placed fabric over it, or perforated high range diffuser plate even... would I have turned it into a pretty huge bass trap?
If yes, should I block off the back where the structure insulation is.
Should I open up the sides in some manner so that sound can enter at more extreme angles and how would that effect the performance?

2)Is the pillar worth doing the same sore of thing to. An absorber/diffuser right behind the rears is nice obviously, but if turned the pillar into a cavity, or even a pass through of rockwool, would I get much benefit given that it is so far from the wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-19 182743_LI.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	2630546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_125237_LI.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2630548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190901_123938_LI (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	673.3 KB
ID:	2630550  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bass trap made out of existing structures

Your second picture reveals that there’s a steel beam inside the column. This beams are there to carry the ceiling and you shouldn’t remove these without consulting the constructor.

The last picture seems like a soffit that carries ducts to the floor below. It doesn’t make sense if that’s an empty soffit. So before you open it and stuff it with stuff, make sure there’s no ducts or wiring or any sort in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6021 Post(s)
Liked: 5601
He is not proposing removing steel support columns only surrounding them with something other than a drywall box. The real question is given the available space and placement will it make a measurable difference in the rooms bass response. My gut tells me no but I have no data to support that conclusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
Your second picture reveals that there’s a steel beam inside the column. This beams are there to carry the ceiling and you shouldn’t remove these without consulting the constructor.

The last picture seems like a soffit that carries ducts to the floor below. It doesn’t make sense if that’s an empty soffit. So before you open it and stuff it with stuff, make sure there’s no ducts or wiring or any sort in there.

I'm not removing anything inside either of those structures. There is no need to be frank..

The pillar is a ridiculous 17x17 inch box around the steel beam. I will put the insulation around the beam, not move it. Still have plenty of room to run speaker wire, install LED lights behind the diffuser plate and add the rockwool. The second pillar however is completely empty will be 17 inches of absorber.

As for the soffit, like the pillar, its over built for what's inside. Its 99% empty. The other side is totally hollow and just for cosmetics. I'm going to fill the area between the duct and the waterpipe. a good 2 foot section of nothing.

DC is right about my intent, and with his experienced advice I have tempered my expectations. However I am more hopeful for the soffits, which hadn't occurred to me before.

Regardless, I am still installing diffuser plates on the pillars for the LED back light effect..... so I might as well stuff it right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_130618.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	909.2 KB
ID:	2631208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190812_130644_LI.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2631210  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yeah sorry my reply made no sense. I misread the post as whether you debated why they were there (instead of why they are so big). Didn’t mean to be frank.. Dutch directness combined with sloppy reading.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
Yeah sorry my reply made no sense. I misread the post as whether you debated why they were there (instead of why they are so big). Didn’t mean to be frank.. Dutch directness combined with sloppy reading.

no worries. I am Canadian so I assumed I did something wrong and was just trying to apologize for the misunderstanding :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page