Testing Ethernet Connections - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Testing Ethernet Connections

New construction. Want to check the builder's Cat6 Plus Ethernet cables. While the builder's sub installed all the cable, connectors on the hub end & wall plates for Coax/Ethernet, he didn't put connectors on the ceiling end for the three wireless access points. I'm not going to use the outdoors one, but will use the two inside ceiling locations.

I installed the connectors for the two ceiling WAPs. Looks like the builder used "A" wiring for connectors at the basement hub, but hard to say for sure. I did both as "A." Just bought a RJ45 Ethernet cable tester. If the cable's good, both end testers light up 1 through 8, then G, together, in numerical sequence. I tested some known good cables, the $10 tester seems OK.

For one outlet, circuit/test light #2 is blank on both end testers. Guess I'll try another ceiling connector, maybe it was me.

On the other outlet, the light sequence on the main tester is correct while the sequence on the secondary tester is reversed. Makes me think the sub wired that one as "B." Anybody know the meaning of one tester reversing light sequence? That possibility was not mentioned in the instructions. Thanks.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050 Projector, Screen TBD, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 Blu-ray, Oppo DV-981HD, Harmony Elite Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-22-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post
New construction. Want to check the builder's Cat6 Plus Ethernet cables. While the builder's sub installed all the cable, connectors on the hub end & wall plates for Coax/Ethernet, he didn't put connectors on the ceiling end for the three wireless access points. I'm not going to use the outdoors one, but will use the two inside ceiling locations.

I installed the connectors for the two ceiling WAPs. Looks like the builder used "A" wiring for connectors at the basement hub, but hard to say for sure. I did both as "A." Just bought a RJ45 Ethernet cable tester. If the cable's good, both end testers light up 1 through 8, then G, together, in numerical sequence. I tested some known good cables, the $10 tester seems OK.

For one outlet, circuit/test light #2 is blank on both end testers. Guess I'll try another ceiling connector, maybe it was me.

On the other outlet, the light sequence on the main tester is correct while the sequence on the secondary tester is reversed. Makes me think the sub wired that one as "B." Anybody know the meaning of one tester reversing light sequence? That possibility was not mentioned in the instructions. Thanks.
Eh, think you put this in the wrong section but I'll help.

Not sure about the particular tester you have and how it works. The important thing is that you have pins 1,2 3,6 4,5 7,8 as pairs on the wire. If they wired both sides as A or both as B it doesn't really matter at all with 6A cable. With cat5, the 7,8 pair is less twists per inch and the 4,5 pair may be less twists per inch. You may also have crappier insulation on 4,5 and 7,8.

If one side is A and the other B you have a crossover cable in the wall. Not the end of the world as most switches will auto swap polarity these days. The easiest way to fix it is to use color coded keystones on each end.

Another possibility is that the guy managed to reverse the cable like rolling a silver satin telephone cable (I.E. Pin 1 > 8, 2 > 7, 3 > 6, 4 > 5, 5 > 4) IT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY as that splits signal path across non-paired wires.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2019, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Turned out I inserted the one connector upside down and on the other, wire #4 must have popped out when putting insert in. Getting hard with my old eyes. All good now although I have Cat 6 and not 6 Plus connectors. Probably won't matter much for basic home use. Thanks.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050 Projector, Screen TBD, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 Blu-ray, Oppo DV-981HD, Harmony Elite Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page