Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Question Design Help - Lost Ark Theater

To set up my problem: I have a detached building on my property that was a 3 car garage (it was in addition to the 2+ car attached to house). It is 1000 sq.ft. in the middle of being converted into theater (700 sq.ft.) with snack bar and storage (300 sq.ft.). The dimensions of the theater space is 25 ft x 28 ft. It will have 3 tiered seating, 21 seats (8 back row, 7 in 2nd, 6 in 1st) offset from the row in front of it. The screen is 160 in. diag (~ 140 in. x 79 in.). ***Keep in mind I have a 3 acre lot and my closest neighbors are 400 ft from this building, so I can really crank the system***

The issue I'm having is trying to have enough sound to fill the space. I had a couple of audio "professionals" come out in order to assist, one tried to do the space with what seemed to me be a basic and underwhelming system, while the other wanted to put in a $30K system. I'm sure the large system would have really blown my socks off I really don't need top of the line THX speakers. I have tried to find a happy middle ground. I have what I think it is but would love for some audiophiles on here to check my work. Which may lead to a whole other line of questions.

I have chosen to go with a Marantz SR8012 receiver, coupled with Klipsch Pro-250RPW LCR speakers all around, Klipsch Pro-16RC ceiling speakers for the atmos and then Klipsch SPL-150 powered bass. In the speaker diagram, it shows my placement of the speakers and the types. Am I off my rocker for the number of speakers? Do I need more or less? If what I have is good, how do I power them all as the receiver can't and I am not sure of what amps to add and what way to connect. I had a few in mind that I could find but they don't seem quite right, especially when drawing off a 20amp breaker (which I can add another electrical circuit if needed).

I hope I have laid everything out, if not I can elaborate more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2633598  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Theater Room Top View.PDF (79.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by lowcrawl; 11-05-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Adding theater name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcrawl View Post
To set up my problem: I have a detached building on my property that was a 3 car garage (it was in addition to the 2+ car attached to house). It is 1000 sq.ft. in the middle of being converted into theater (700 sq.ft.) with snack bar and storage (300 sq.ft.). The dimensions of the theater space is 25 ft x 28 ft. It will have 3 tiered seating, 21 seats (8 back row, 7 in 2nd, 6 in 1st) offset from the row in front of it. The screen is 160 in. diag (~ 140 in. x 79 in.). ***Keep in mind I have a 3 acre lot and my closest neighbors are 400 ft from this building, so I can really crank the system***

The issue I'm having is trying to have enough sound to fill the space. I had a couple of audio "professionals" come out in order to assist, one tried to do the space with what seemed to me be a basic and underwhelming system, while the other wanted to put in a $30K system. I'm sure the large system would have really blown my socks off I really don't need top of the line THX speakers. I have tried to find a happy middle ground. I have what I think it is but would love for some audiophiles on here to check my work. Which may lead to a whole other line of questions.

I have chosen to go with a Marantz SR8012 receiver, coupled with Klipsch Pro-250RPW LCR speakers all around, Klipsch Pro-16RC ceiling speakers for the atmos and then Klipsch SPL-150 powered bass. In the speaker diagram, it shows my placement of the speakers and the types. Am I off my rocker for the number of speakers? Do I need more or less? If what I have is good, how do I power them all as the receiver can't and I am not sure of what amps to add and what way to connect. I had a few in mind that I could find but they don't seem quite right, especially when drawing off a 20amp breaker (which I can add another electrical circuit if needed).

With the size of that space, and the number of speakers you are thinking about, you need to be prepared to spend at least $30k, and maybe even start thinking about going a Trinnov route. What's your ceiling height?

It would also be a good idea to consider hiring a local designer, as a "professional" can properly guide you in room design.
post #3 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

The current load out of audio is about $12K and that's through finding deals on the speakers listed. The ceiling height is 10 ft. What is Trinnov? I don't believe I've heard of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
Yes you are crazy about the number of speakers and locations. A processor capable of computing that number of channels is probably out of your budget. Trinnov is a brand name of one such processor.

If you are handy you should consider DIY speaker kits.

The audio in 10 of your 21 seats will pretty much suck. the 2nd row end seats are too close to the side wall surrounds and the rear row tucked tight against the back wall will suffer from boomy bass due to standing resonant frequencies in the room and have a problem with the proximity to the rear surrounds.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-29-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #5 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

oh goodie... DIY Speaker kits? is that the pre-packaged X.Y.Z speaker systems? Or some craziness I will have to build with components?

Any recommendations for my setup? How many/which speakers to cut out? Is the receiver good still or should I revisit that?

I am at the point in construction where I am ready to pre-wire the speakers before drywall goes up and I wanted to confirm my setup...
post #6 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
oh goodie... DIY Speaker kits? is that the pre-packaged X.Y.Z speaker systems? Or some craziness I will have to build with components?

Any recommendations for my setup? How many/which speakers to cut out? Is the receiver good still or should I revisit that?

I am at the point in construction where I am ready to pre-wire the speakers before drywall goes up and I wanted to confirm my setup...
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-s-thread.html

You could do a Denon AVR-X8500H and go with a 7.x.6 or a 9.x.4 setup..
post #7 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting links on the DIY, but that's going deeper into this build than I really wanted to.

Plus, not knocking the Denon but that's twice the cost of the Marantz I listed that can do a comparable setup. I've done the typical 7.2 setup in my 150 sq ft living room that sounds great but going from 150 sq ft to 700 seemed like I need more power/speakers (insert Tim Allen's arwg arwg arwg here) to fully immerse the audience.

I am a networking/computer nerd and can do some home improvement items. I've tried to do my reading on this but when talking audio (speakers, amp, recievers,
placement, etc) the information is all over the place.
post #8 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting links on the DIY, but that's going deeper into this build than I really wanted to.

Plus, not knocking the Denon but that's twice the cost of the Marantz I listed that can do a comparable setup. I've done the typical 7.2 setup in my 150 sq ft living room that sounds great but going from 150 sq ft to 700 seemed like I need more power/speakers (insert Tim Allen's arwg arwg arwg here) to fully immerse the audience.

I am a networking/computer nerd and can do some home improvement items. I've tried to do my reading on this but when talking audio (speakers, amp, recievers,
You can do a 7.4.4 setup with that Marantz and the speakers you mentioned, but will need to use powered subs. You could potentially get 100dB with 148Watts of power (Reference level, 105dB would require about 500 Watts), but if you want to drive more speakers than that, then like Big said, you're going to need a more powerful processor and more powerful amps.

Just because the rooms bigger, that doesn't mean you need more speakers. However the ceiling height could be an issue for you with the length and width described. You may be better suited to make the room smaller, get rid of the third row, and reduce the number of seats.
post #9 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Bit of history, my old house I had a large deck and a 16ftx9ft screen hung high between 2 trees with a PA sound system to drown out the nearby road noise. I would regularly have 30-40 people come over and watch. We moved and I set up the screen in this building with that PA system, it worked for what it was and I still have a consistent amount of friends who come over for movie night 20-25ish. So, I'd like to continue having the seating around the 20ish number to accommodate the group of friends.

If I have to go for the more powerful equipment so be it. I had planned on some the beefy powered subs and I can see what Big was saying, I just don't know how to fix it. The dead space between the screen and front row (~13 ft) is to be used for playing poker and other activities when not in movie mode.
post #10 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 8012 isn't going to do more than 11 channels and it seems like you are wanting to do either a 7.x.6 or a 9.x.4 setup (you will never be able to do what you drew with either receiver)..

I would never pay that for the Denon (you can find a better deal), but it would do what you need with the DIYSG speakers (which are easy to build and will give you what you want for your room without breaking the bank).. I built all 11 of my HTM-12/Volt 6s in 8 hours..

Just saw this post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-g...l#post58193968 where you can get the 8500 new for the refurbished price..

Last edited by PreciseD; 10-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #11 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I chose the Marantz as it seemed to be a quality receiver that matched the in wall speakers. I wasn't necessarily getting it due to the number of channels as with most receivers having pre-amps I thought I could add external amps to add more speakers/power to cover the whole space. I know this isn't a normal setup, it's more on a VIP screening room size and almost (probably) needs more of a commercial setup vice home theater. Which I am willing to do if I need to (and will look into the Trinnov).

It really does get over whelming with the different make ups of receivers, amps, ohms, watts, reflections, absorption, diffusion, etc... and then the difference of opinions very all sources.
post #12 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

If this is a VIP screening room then you might want to look at the Hahn Theater Build... And have $$$$$$$$$ in the bank lol... Some mediocre in-walls and a 8012 aren't going to cut it..

https://keithyates.com/home-theater-...-hahn-theater/
post #13 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 03:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

My shopping list for this huge space, Some assembly required.

3x DIY soundgroup TITANs (beasts) $1900
6x HTM12s for surround duty. $2040 (my pick over the volts for better off access response)
6 x RSL ceiling speakers $750
Monoprice HTP-16 processor $4000 (assuming this budget 16 channel processor with Dirac Live works when it ships November?)
3x Monoprice 5x200watt Amp $3900 (built by ATI)

Total $12, 590

Add 4 subwoofers

tjambro, Mocs123, Lynkage and 2 others like this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-29-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #14 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Another option - That is a HUGE room with a ton of seats - do you need that big of space? I might keep one garage bay for storage and make that room smaller. Right now you're just looking at speakers, but the subs needed for a room that size won't be cheap either.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #15 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
You have, but I think you really need to rethink your approach to the room. Starting by the number of speakers, which is exaggerated, in this case less is more, it's much better to have a lower number of speakers, properly placed. I'd follow BIGmouthinDC suggestion.

And also as suggested above, your seating layout is very problematic. The 3rd row would have mediocre audio, as well as some of the other chairs on the 2nd row. If you really need so many seats, maybe replace the chairs on the 2nd row with sofas, which would allow you more seats, removing the 3rd row.
post #16 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

6x HTM12s for surround duty. $2040 (my pick over the volts for better off access response)
6 x RSL ceiling speakers $750
Monoprice HTP-16 processor $4000 (assuming this budget 16 channel processor with Dirac Live works when it ships November?)

Total $12, 590

Add 4 subwoofers
Wow, this is more of what I was expecting to get from other guys I contacted. Through the almighty google, I was able to find the Titans (currently out of stock), HTM12s, HTP16, and the 5x200 Amps was not able to locate the RSLs. I see DIY has instructions for assembly of the speakers but are there any gotchas I should be aware of? And I'd be lying if I said I knew where in the room to put these much less the wiring of all this.
post #17 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

The speaker boxes are pretty straightforward, the hardest part is soldering up the crossovers, but for a fee I think DIYSG will do it for you.

I'd shoot DIYSG an email about your goals and they are pretty helpful in making sure your needs are met without trying to oversell you. They might even have the Titans in stock.

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/
post #18 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #19 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I am happy I stumbled on this forum before I got way too far in this process. I am sure this is going to lead to a crap ton more question on my part. However, I appreciate all the information.
tjambro likes this.
post #20 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

I do find this funny...

Not saying the Micca's are on the same level, but they do have the same crossover parts lol..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSL.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	2633874   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSL 2.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2633876   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSL 3.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	2633880  
post #21 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
You have, but I think you really need to rethink your approach to the room. Starting by the number of speakers, which is exaggerated, in this case less is more, it's much better to have a lower number of speakers, properly placed. I'd follow BIGmouthinDC suggestion.

And also as suggested above, your seating layout is very problematic. The 3rd row would have mediocre audio, as well as some of the other chairs on the 2nd row. If you really need so many seats, maybe replace the chairs on the 2nd row with sofas, which would allow you more seats, removing the 3rd row.
Silva, I received your PM but since I have not posted more than 15 meaningful posts it wouldn't let me reply to it. I didn't find that out until after I gave a substantial reply... murphy's law..
post #22 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have a friend from my Air Force days staying with me while he is relocating from another state. He's back at his house for a bit taking care of things with his wife while trying to sell their house. When he gets back we'll have to really look over all of this. He has an architectural program we've been using to mock it up in 3D. He can do a lot of the construction/electrical but the audio was a little out of his experience. I have saved the links to all of the suggested equipment from BIGmouthinDC posting. *Gracias* Luckily, we were going to slow up our work for the upcoming month (lots of things getting in the way of progress) and I can take the time to digest all the information. Please continue to educate me. I tried to respond and communicate the reasons behind why I have done what we were doing.
post #23 of 53 Old 10-29-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 256
BIG gave you a great speaker recommendation and it matches nearly exactly what I was going to recommend for you (and ultimately for my own theater), with one exception. I also linked you to the Devastator thread for your subs. I would power the 4 subs with two Behringer NX6000Ds $1107. Including wood, the 4 subs would be ~ $2000. For the speaker system I would spec, the total would be $12, 988. Add in the subs and their amps and system total is $16, 095.

Looking at just the speakers you spec'ed vs. DIY (with the sub amps, since you were considering powered subs), the DIY option comes in ~$240 CHEAPER and will totally smoke the Klipsch setup in every regard.

Quote:

6 x RSL ceiling speakers $750 - I would go with Volt 10s in the Atmos flat pack $1148

Total $12, 988

Add 4 subwoofers

You have a great space! You could save a little money by only going with 2 subs and 4 Atmos speakers to start with, but the savings would be <$2k and would require you to go back later and mess up the room during the upgrade process...probably not worth it in the BIG picture!

This will be a fun build to follow!

Mike

Last edited by mhutchins; 10-29-2019 at 10:56 PM.
post #24 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 963
You might want to check out www.gsgad.com for the sub cabinets.
post #25 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 07:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
You have a great space! You could save a little money by only going with 2 subs

If the front row seats are placed at half room length (my interpretation of the rough plan) you absolutely need 4 subs to mitigate the major bass null that will occur at that position. Assuming like most home theaters the front row center gets used the most and is considered the Main Listening Position (MLP). Research has also indicated that the best placement of 4 subs for even bass response in all seating positions is the middle of each wall. 4 corners is a contender but if you have the room to tuck the subs, I'd do the middles.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-30-2019 at 07:51 AM.
post #26 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the front row seats are placed at half room length (my interpretation of the rough plan) you absolutely need 4 subs to mitigate the major bass null that will occur at that position. Assuming like most home theaters the front row center gets used the most and is considered the Main Listening Position (MLP). Research has also indicated that the best placement of 4 subs for even bass response in all seating positions is the middle of each wall. 4 corners is a contender but if you have the room to tuck the subs, I'd do the middles.
Not necessarily true. 2 subs, placed center front and center rear create (or center sides), is a perfectly fine placement for 2 subs and helps to mitigate that mid-line null.

For 4 subs, I thought that corner placement provided slightly better results than mid-wall placement, but I don't have the white paper in front of me that showed those measurements.

Either way, 4 would be better than just 2, but if budget is a major factor, then 2 can be done.
post #27 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 08:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Yes I blanked out about the middle front and middle back option.
post #28 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think I have smoke coming out of my ears from cooking my brain trying to get all of this information down. I love the information I'm getting but it's all over the place (meaning here, DIY and other sites for math explanations). I am at the "Oh crap, what did I just get myself into" stage. I understand the math enough (still processing it, to work out remaining confusion) to see why the DIY build is better than what I was originally going with. After reading information on just the HTM's alone and to now see about finding the sweet spots for placement like the Bass discussion above is daunting. I am watching, reading and digesting all information that is posted.
post #29 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes in the current design the Front row ends at roughly just under half the total room length 13.5 ft I believe...

BTW this was a requirement from the wife to have an empty space between the screen and the front row for the ability to have things like poker tables and such for when we're not showing a movie...

I understand the desire some want to move the seats forward and reduce the total number of chairs... but I am trying to get the best configuration with the wants of the person holding the purse strings.
post #30 of 53 Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Your seat configuration isn't perfect, but you are trying to put a lot of seating positions in the room, and I understand that if you often have big parties to watch movies. Just realize that some of the seats won't be in the position for the optimal surround sound experience.

One other big kicker is getting a projector that can produce enough light on a screen that large. Do you have a projector in mind? I assume this will be a completely pitch black room.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
amp suggestions , audio installation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page