The Down-Home Theater/Basement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Cool The Down-Home Theater/Basement

Hello again from Husker Country. Finally getting my lazy butt in gear and finishing this space out.
Time to get back into AVSforums!

Attached preliminary plans, hope to finalize in a month or so the layout.
Need to add a bunch more detail for the theater room.
SUGGESTIONS on basement plan and theater room would be great.

About the only thing I have for sure planned are these FOUR (4) Martysubs from GSG waiting to be built.
They are cut to take my 4-UXL-18s from Mach 5 audio that are currently in sealed setups in my family room.
This is entirely overkill, I know. I initially was going to do an open theater concept.

Here goes nothing, back to reading threads -

HO

@eljaycanuck ; @nebrunner ; @desertdome ; @d_c ; @dominguez1 ; @Scott Simonian ; @Archaea ; @General Kenobi ; @W00lly ; @andersa ; @jedimastergrant ; @NightSkyMurals ; @rkinmoval ; @Brad Horstkotte ; @beastaudio ; @carp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sealed UXL18.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2634982   Click image for larger version

Name:	neglected martys.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2634984  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Basement Prelim Plans.pdf (391.1 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by HuskerOmaha; 10-31-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Is that room already framed?
post #3 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
Is that room already framed?
It is a walk-out basement, so the top wall in the PDF with windows and sliding door is finished across that whole side of the house.

Will need to do some work on it though with outlets/TV spots, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Anyway to make the theater room space larger? Not sure how you are going to fit that many seats and those 4 subs in a room that small..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ROom.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2635006  
Archaea and brazensol like this.
post #5 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyway to make the theater room space larger? Not sure how you are going to fit that many seats and those 4 subs in a room that small..
With the support posts, that's the only fit that made sense. The left wall of theater runs through one post to the wine room. There is another stack on the next wall to the left which is left wine room wall. So kind of how we were using that space. I actually was thinking of putting the AV rack behind the wine room backing to the theater space. Doing AT screen.

Not a huge room, but thought could squeeze a nice small theater in?
And yeah it may be more tighter fit, more like 3 seats and 3, or maybe a larger love seat style with singles on each side in back row (no door swing issue). Still wondering about those seats.
post #6 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

I think those seats are throwing me off.. They are not to scale right?

With a 12'-6" finished room width you should be able to fit a row of 3 seats, but many will say that is not ideal for spacing from surrounds. The rear row could use commercial seating with a row of 4 for spill over.. Again sound will be compromised for their seats since they will be against the rear wall..

Can you gain some length by going all the way against the foundation wall?
post #7 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think those seats are throwing me off.. They are not to scale right?

With a 12'-6" finished room width you should be able to fit a row of 3 seats, but many will say that is not ideal for spacing from surrounds. The rear row could use commercial seating with a row of 4 for spill over.. Again sound will be compromised for their seats since they will be against the rear wall..

Can you gain some length by going all the way against the foundation wall?
I don't think the seats are to scale, but it is a professional design place, and I went and measured and the row of 4 does seem to fit if you don't buy the huge wide seats....

Good catch, the room WILL go all the way to the foundation wall. The designer mistook my direction when I said it would be an AT screen and I'd have the speakers and subs behind it, and that the martys were X by X, so he just moved the wall. It Will go all the way to wall, but you lose a few feet into room with AT screen of course. If that answers the question.

Just got suggested for the door to try a swing out or in murphy door for the pool cues. Sounds kind of fun?

Pool Cue Murphy Door
post #8 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder how bad it will rattle when your subs are rocking the house..
post #9 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I see I was tagged. Nice!

If you have any questions for me, go ahead and shoot me an email if you'd like. I'll be happy to answer them. Have you already written to me? I have a few customers in the Omaha area. Either way, if you are just in the planning stages, this is the perfect time to get in touch with me. I might have a good suggestion or two. Maybe.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post
Hello again from Husker Country. Finally getting my lazy butt in gear and finishing this space out.
Time to get back into AVSforums!

Attached preliminary plans, hope to finalize in a month or so the layout.
Need to add a bunch more detail for the theater room.
SUGGESTIONS on basement plan and theater room would be great.

About the only thing I have for sure planned are these FOUR (4) Martysubs from GSG waiting to be built.
They are cut to take my 4-UXL-18s from Mach 5 audio that are currently in sealed setups in my family room.
This is entirely overkill, I know. I initially was going to do an open theater concept.

Here goes nothing, back to reading threads -

HO

@eljaycanuck ; @nebrunner ; @desertdome ; @d_c ; @dominguez1 ; @Scott Simonian ; @Archaea ; @General Kenobi ; @W00lly ; @andersa ; @jedimastergrant ; @NightSkyMurals ; @rkinmoval ; @Brad Horstkotte ; @beastaudio ; @carp
post #10 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
I see I was tagged. Nice!

If you have any questions for me, go ahead and shoot me an email if you'd like. I'll be happy to answer them. Have you already written to me? I have a few customers in the Omaha area. Either way, if you are just in the planning stages, this is the perfect time to get in touch with me. I might have a good suggestion or two. Maybe.

Jeff
Hey Jeff - yeah, you may have done our master bedroom and I may have upgraded the tube lights to the LED strips that work awesome. I think when my shades are up I can see the effect from 1/2 mile away. Might have to consider some mural work in the theater is all.
post #11 of 64 Old 10-31-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Part of the reason I was considering an outside door for aesthetics, and an inside door for sealing purposes...I've seen a couple examples. I don't need this to be a 99.99% acoustic theater or done that well, going for the 95% version!
post #12 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Could you slide the front columns back a bit, and host a support post in the column. That could widen the room fractionally.

You also might treat everything in front of the column black, as a shadow box to absorb light coming off the screen. That would help to preserve/maximise you projector's
contrast ratio.

I also might be tempted to splay the side walls a wee bit. Surrender a few inches up front, and have them in the back of the room. Might let you center the seating better.
Archaea, HuskerOmaha and PreciseD like this.
post #13 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4312 Post(s)
Liked: 4141
The Down-Home Theater/Basement

Center a seat. As an enthusiast, you want at least one true center seat. Maybe your drafting professional doesn’t know the importance of that. But you do. @carp talked me into it in my current room and I’m glad he did.

Move the wine cellar room to make your theater a bit wider? Contact an engineer to see of the supports can be moved a few feet.
I agree, its going to be too tight in there for the displayed seating — I think my four Berkline theater seats are 14’ wide. So 3 would be a bit over 10’. Not much room for an isle unless you buy pretty small seats. Maybe couches instead.

For the rear row consider a riser with small subwoofers integrated in the top platform for tactile shake. The $30 JBLs used in the BOSS thread have proven their merit. Two or four of them go a long way for tactile shake! Carp has done that in his room and its a fantastic addition!

If you do move forward with the dedicated room, consider small line array speakers as surround speakers. They will allow for the nearest seating positions to not be blown away by volume due to a speaker being so close. IE I can walk up and put my ear right next to my line arrays at reference volume and it doesn’t seem too loud. Thats because my ear is next to one of 16 tweeters and one of four mids instead of just one tweeter and one mid — each individual speaker on a line array doesn’t have to play as loud, allowing for closer seat to speaker placement without getting blown out. JBL makes quite a few CBT speakers and if you watch ebay you can pick them up on great prices from time to time as a church or business remodels.
https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/...s#.Xbwo6CVOmaM
Search for JBL CBT on ebay. Maybe the 50 series might be a match?

You were originally going with the open floor plan theater? Why the shift? Honestly, I think I may prefer the open floor plan given your space/layout options. You don’t have to double up on two AV systems on the same floor. I suspect if you do have two systems, your home theater space will be wildly underused in favor of the big tv/open bar area/game room. “Hey want to watch it in the small theater? Or the 40’ open game room?” Ummm, where we are is fine, I’m comfortable and the food and drink are right here”.
—Those glorious ported subs will then go unused!

For the big area you could consider rear projection with a series of mirrors and an AT/storage space behind the screen that would allow for full lights to be on in the open area without affecting the projected image. @JDontee has done that here in KC. Its really nice to be watching a big projected image with the lights on. The concept would fit an open floor plan perfectly!
HuskerOmaha likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 11-01-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #14 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 11:00 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
Is it room within a room build? Full decoupling?

I'd do whatever it takes to get that room to 15' wide. I was able to move one of my lolly columns 3' without adding anything to the i-beam. I echo the 3 chairs per row max to get the center seat. It's nice to have a couch like you mentioned. My kid and her friends cram them in 6 wide on our couch in the HT. Maybe move the wine room to a different location and use the space for the av gear so that all the noise and heat is outside of the room.

How will you manage the air flow and climate control in there?
HuskerOmaha likes this.
post #15 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Could you slide the front columns back a bit, and host a support post in the column. That could widen the room fractionally.

You also might treat everything in front of the column black, as a shadow box to absorb light coming off the screen. That would help to preserve/maximise you projector's
contrast ratio.

I also might be tempted to splay the side walls a wee bit. Surrender a few inches up front, and have them in the back of the room. Might let you center the seating better.
Good ideas here with you guys. I wouldn't mind pushing the column over (so I need to find a structural engineer, eh?). I'd just need to find another location for a wine area, could wrap that into that popcorn bar area maybe towards the top. I dunno. Or just tell wife sorry. If I could move the column over a few feet, get us to 14-15', would be nice. Probably the max I'd go if dedicated otherwise starts looking weird with the sliding door to outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Center a seat. As an enthusiast, you want at least one true center seat. Maybe your drafting professional doesn’t know the importance of that. But you do. @carp talked me into it in my current room and I’m glad he did.

Move the wine cellar room to make your theater a bit wider? Contact an engineer to see of the supports can be moved a few feet.

For the rear row consider a riser with small subwoofers integrated in the top platform for tactile shake. The $30 JBLs used in the BOSS thread have proven their merit. Two or four of them go a long way for tactile shake! Carp has done that in his room and its a fantastic addition!

If you do move forward with the dedicated room, consider small line array speakers as surround speakers. They will allow for the nearest seating positions to not be blown away by volume due to a speaker being so close. IE I can walk up and put my ear right next to my line arrays at reference volume and it doesn’t seem too loud. Thats because my ear is next to one of 16 tweeters and one of four mids instead of just one tweeter and one mid — each individual speaker on a line array doesn’t have to play as loud, allowing for closer seat to speaker placement without getting blown out. JBL makes quite a few CBT speakers and if you watch ebay you can pick them up on great prices from time to time as a church or business remodels.
https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/...s#.Xbwo6CVOmaM
Search for JBL CBT on ebay. Maybe the 50 series might be a match?

You were originally going with the open floor plan theater? Why the shift? Honestly, I think I may prefer the open floor plan given your space/layout options. You don’t have to double up on two AV systems on the same floor. I suspect if you do have two systems, your home theater space will be wildly underused in favor of the big tv/open bar area/game room. “Hey want to watch it in the small theater? Or the 40’ open game room?” Ummm, where we are is fine, I’m comfortable and the food and drink are right here”.
—Those glorious ported subs will then go unused!

For the big area you could consider rear projection with a series of mirrors and an AT/storage space behind the screen that would allow for full lights to be on in the open area without affecting the projected image. @JDontee has done that here in KC. Its really nice to be watching a big projected image with the lights on. The concept would fit an open floor plan perfectly!
I don't know, over time I got talked into doing a dedicated space. Movie experience, you know? I kind of liked the idea of breaking the basement up into different spaces instead of one huge open space. I get your idea of the open idea, we might just be too far gone for that, but haven't started yet! But want to get started, its been 5 @#$#@ years.

Good ideas on the line arrays. I dig that idea. Would be really cool. subs in the floor? sure why not. Those 4 marty's won't be enough anyways. @rkinmoval already has me needing a knee wall too. Gonna need that 15' width I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Is it room within a room build? Full decoupling?

I'd do whatever it takes to get that room to 15' wide. I was able to move one of my lolly columns 3' without adding anything to the i-beam. I echo the 3 chairs per row max to get the center seat. It's nice to have a couch like you mentioned. My kid and her friends cram them in 6 wide on our couch in the HT. Maybe move the wine room to a different location and use the space for the av gear so that all the noise and heat is outside of the room.

How will you manage the air flow and climate control in there?
I wasn't sure how far I'd take the decoupling. If we are talking to the ceiling, above is the kitchen, and the master is on the other side of the house (above bar in pdf). So, noise isn't a huge concern. Rest of rooms are all 2nd floor. The right wall and bottom wall are poured walls. Open to ideas. Could always have a less formal wine room in the storage area back by HVAC. It was just a fun piece to put in the basement and dressed up with stone, etc. for the wifey. So will try to probs keep somewhere.

I was going to add a 3rd HVAC zone just for the theater, I had the company out and my system can do it without impacting more ceiling. Or I could make the whole basement one, but figured I'd run basement on the main level zone, and maybe move a thermostat to a location on main level that made more sense than where they have right now. Thoughts?
I thought about putting returns in a couple of the bump outs where the line arrays/surrounds would go. Anyone ever done that?
post #16 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
I think it's all-er-nuthin for the soundproofing approach. Clip and channel all the way around with double drywall and greenglue at the least if you are soundproofing and decoupling. It's more hours, more money, more thought and parts getting wires and hvac through, building double doors, sealing cracks, etc. If not decoupling, I'd at least mass load the space between the ceiling joists with double drywall and green glue, and insulating all the walls with safe-n-sound - it really helps with the bass.
post #17 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I'd love to help you get a really cool night sky in there. Just let me know if you have questions. Again, the design stage3 isn't too soon to start asking questions. I have a little Info. Sheet that I can send you too, if you want to email me.

Quote:
Hey Jeff - yeah, you may have done our master bedroom and I may have upgraded the tube lights to the LED strips that work awesome. I think when my shades are up I can see the effect from 1/2 mile away. Might have to consider some mural work in the theater is all.
post #18 of 64 Old 11-01-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 735 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
It sounds like it might be too late but I really like the one big open room idea too. A friend of mine had his basement done last year and he has a 30 ish x 40 ish space with a huge full bar area, game area, and HT on the other side. When the lights go out for a movie you don't care that you aren't in a dedicated room.

Also, with a BOSS setup you won't have to worry about having a larger area to fill the with bass, BOSS will give you all the tactile feel you would ever want down to the single digits and the audible volume from your subs combined with this will be plenty.
Archaea likes this.
post #19 of 64 Old 11-03-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
It sounds like it might be too late but I really like the one big open room idea too. A friend of mine had his basement done last year and he has a 30 ish x 40 ish space with a huge full bar area, game area, and HT on the other side. When the lights go out for a movie you don't care that you aren't in a dedicated room.

Also, with a BOSS setup you won't have to worry about having a larger area to fill the with bass, BOSS will give you all the tactile feel you would ever want down to the single digits and the audible volume from your subs combined with this will be plenty.
@Archaea

Open room = $$$$ savings.

If I did do that, I'd probably have the screen on the right foundation wall.
Keep the popcorn area on the top with cabinets, and maybe even run a partial wall back towards the bar area for a left contain area? Essentially keep the length of wall that would currently be the back wall of theater? Then mirror that on the right side like I was going to anyways to put that post in a wall? So about 12' run on each side. Theater screen ends up on a wall that could be roughly 16', so decent side room for light treatment. Angles seem like they'd work.

Then the AT screen, etc still all fits nice, all the subs behind, etc. I'd have some room to right of theater footprint for the wine room/AV equipment, whatever. Pool table maybe rotates vertically? Maybe only one row of real theater seats then? 4? Hmm. Not opposed to it. Be easier for me. Not sure what you do to maximize effectiveness of any treatments for sound/light? Probably need to do some reading on this approach. I did like that one Castaway maybe or whatever that was an open room, have to go digging.
post #20 of 64 Old 11-05-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 745
I like all the suggestions so far. The advantages of a dedicated room are worth it if you can make the room bigger. For a 12' width I would choose a non dedicated room and probably do something like what you described. The sound proofing is kind of an all or nothing and if you choose that path it can be a colossal headache. A small space can be really frustrating and it limits your options. So just to reiterate that a larger non dedicated space is so much easier. My room is 15x19 and I think it is too small. A smaller room could mean going with thin in walls for your surrounds and in ceiling for height channels for likely more cost and less performace. It limits your options for placement of your LCR and so many things. Not to mention the heating and cooling concerns. But, if you can make the room bigger then go for it. I have no regrets about converting my plans (right in the middle of framing) to a dedicated space.

I see that you mentioned your kitchen is located above the theater space. You will likely get to hear every dish rattle even with sound proofing. You might consider doing something under the subfloor to mitigate footfall from the floor above. That could be a constant source of frustration. I put double 5/8'' drywall with a green glue layer and it did help quite a bit with my before and after testing. But it won't do much to keep sound from escaping from the theater to the kitchen.

I would still go with a center money seat even if you are going to go with the non dedicated route. The location of surround channels and treatments is a bit of a concern but I'm sure it can be solved for. I wonder if your equipment room could be located on the "bottom" of your plans where your screen was going to go if it were a dedicated space. And possibly your wine room could be moved a bit to somehow make an even wall for that side of the theater so speakers and treatments can be easily placed there. Lots of possibilities.
HuskerOmaha likes this.
post #21 of 64 Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Great ideas guys.

I've sort of mocked up two ideas here.

Closed idea, expand the current theater, nix the wine room, rotate the pool table, etc.

Open idea, rotate the theater, AV rack location, maybe do 4 theater seats or two and love seat in middle (preferred), then a knee wall, and a bar top behind the seats with another 4 bar top seats? Similar to my last room for those that have been there @desertdome @rkinmoval @Archaea etc.

Leaves kind of a nice spot for the AV cabinet, don't have to get crazy with HVAC, less sound, but hopefully kind of work it into the room more.
Keeps wine dungeon of sorts I suppose for wife happiness.

Thoughts? crude drawings but wanted to get posted before I'm out of state for a few days
Attached Files
File Type: pdf open design rev.pdf (336.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf closed design rev.pdf (352.0 KB, 26 views)
post #22 of 64 Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Great ideas guys.

I've sort of mocked up two ideas here.

Closed idea, expand the current theater, nix the wine room, rotate the pool table, etc.

Open idea, rotate the theater, AV rack location, maybe do 4 theater seats or two and love seat in middle (preferred), then a knee wall, and a bar top behind the seats with another 4 bar top seats? Similar to my last room for those that have been there @desertdome @rkinmoval @Archaea etc.

Leaves kind of a nice spot for the AV cabinet, don't have to get crazy with HVAC, less sound, but hopefully kind of work it into the room more.
Keeps wine dungeon of sorts I suppose for wife happiness.

Thoughts? crude drawings but wanted to get posted before I'm out of state for a few days

I like both, but the open one is probably going to give more room for the pool table and better for entertaining. We have parties a lot at our house, but we have a large open concept floor plan and and everyone likes being upstairs. Now I finished the basement the way I want to it may be the more fun place to hang out. At least I would like it. If my wife would have let put our theater in our living room the basement would probably be all my sons area.

If you do the closed one are you going all in on soundproofing and a room inside a a room. I am thinking of doing this in my basement since it is a large ranch and the basement is around 2600 sqft like the main level.
HuskerOmaha likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #23 of 64 Old 11-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Good ideas here with you guys. I wouldn't mind pushing the column over (so I need to find a structural engineer, eh?). I'd just need to find another location for a wine area, could wrap that into that popcorn bar area maybe towards the top. I dunno. Or just tell wife sorry. If I could move the column over a few feet, get us to 14-15', would be nice. Probably the max I'd go if dedicated otherwise starts looking weird with the sliding door to outside.

I don't know, over time I got talked into doing a dedicated space. Movie experience, you know? I kind of liked the idea of breaking the basement up into different spaces instead of one huge open space. I get your idea of the open idea, we might just be too far gone for that, but haven't started yet! But want to get started, its been 5 @#$#@ years.

Good ideas on the line arrays. I dig that idea. Would be really cool. subs in the floor? sure why not. Those 4 marty's won't be enough anyways. @rkinmoval already has me needing a knee wall too. Gonna need that 15' width I guess.

I wasn't sure how far I'd take the decoupling. If we are talking to the ceiling, above is the kitchen, and the master is on the other side of the house (above bar in pdf). So, noise isn't a huge concern. Rest of rooms are all 2nd floor. The right wall and bottom wall are poured walls. Open to ideas. Could always have a less formal wine room in the storage area back by HVAC. It was just a fun piece to put in the basement and dressed up with stone, etc. for the wifey. So will try to probs keep somewhere.

I was going to add a 3rd HVAC zone just for the theater, I had the company out and my system can do it without impacting more ceiling. Or I could make the whole basement one, but figured I'd run basement on the main level zone, and maybe move a thermostat to a location on main level that made more sense than where they have right now. Thoughts?
I thought about putting returns in a couple of the bump outs where the line arrays/surrounds would go. Anyone ever done that?

Do a third zone for the basement and make sure there is a door at the bottom of the stairs to keep the heat down there in the winter. I have a separate zone for the theater and really should have a bypass to dump off the extra airflow as it’s too much for the size of my room and I’m at 28’x21’.

I measured four of my theater seats and they take up 10’ 8” of width for a reference point.
post #24 of 64 Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:

It will be no problem at all if built correctly. I wouldn’t advise using theirs “out of the box” but rather build a custom one using their hinge hardware. I made a purpose built one to fit a themed room and sandwiched 2 sheets of 3/4 mdf with green glue in between as the back and then wrapped the whole thing in maple on the theater side and painted poplar on the “front” to match that room. It weighs over 250 lbs with nothing on it and floats beautifully on that hinge. Hinge strength is rated at 1200 pounds.
HuskerOmaha likes this.
post #25 of 64 Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM

As jedimastergrant and Archaea mentioned (and maybe others), centering a seat is a must regardless of room format. You’re building this for you. Make sure it’s set up in a way you can really enjoy the most out of it.
HuskerOmaha and PreciseD like this.

Last edited by rkinmoval; 11-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.
post #26 of 64 Old 11-21-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks gents. Going to redraw for an open. I can always move the thread if I need to.
Will attach the new PDFs when I get them! Might be fun to do the murphy pool cue door into the wine room.
post #27 of 64 Old 11-29-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, going to do an open design. Just fits what we want better overall.
Do I need to move the thread?

Change of design attached. Tried to put the seats in right distance assuming maybe a 120" diagonal Seymour TBD or other screen.
Not sure on any AV equipment other than the 4 full Martys and possibly reusing the CV5000 for sub duty if that is applicable.

Bottom room is still size TBD is a wine room off side of theater. Other than that mostly set. AV rack to go in bottom right corner south of the AT behind screen area.
If make wine room bigger then will put a little door in corner to get into AV unfinished space.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 18x24-GREG & LEAH RESIDENCE 11.27.19.pdf (636.4 KB, 24 views)
post #28 of 64 Old 12-21-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally gravitated the design back to my favorite semi "open" concept theater, to me best of both worlds of making it a room but also keeping some of the sound in the area and making it its own section in the basement

@djlemo hope to use many of your ideas! The Get Away is one of my favorites.

Latest design, just need to bounce some ideas and constraints off @desertdome to see what he thinks, and @rkinmoval .

Thoughts? Hard to see without the 3D renderings, but until I finalize and pay for the prints, can't get the 3Ds to share.
Essentially theater area will be similar to The Get Away.....

Need some advice....on the get-away, the side surrounds were a little in front of the main LP, and the rears on the corners right behind the main row.
I could effectively do that in this design as well....OR alternatively....do side surrounds where the get-away rears were, and rear surrounds above the bar seating right behind the main LP.

I'd like to do the 4 speaker atmos setup as well.....

4 martys/mains behind AT screen, 4 atmos in ceiling, side and rear surrounds TBD by input....?
Again, no constrictions at this point on equipment, other than the 4-full martys w/UXL 18s already committed...

Suggestions on where to start looking at hardware @Archaea , @d_c , @carp ... @Tedd , @PreciseD thoughts on open "get-away" type concept? Probably fits best with my space and goals.
I will likely frame it all, drywall it all in, then put in the screen wall, stage, etc afterwards....I think thats recommended.
Trying to figure out surrounds (just sides, or sides and rears) in wall/column vs ceiling, and then if that the other, how wide to have the columns to fit in surrounds...etc...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	getaway surrounds in columns.png
Views:	99
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2657042   Click image for larger version

Name:	in wall ceiling atmos.png
Views:	85
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	2657066  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 18x24-GREG & LEAH RESIDENCE 12.20 (1).pdf (223.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by HuskerOmaha; 12-21-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #29 of 64 Old 12-21-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Can you link me to this BOSS setup you refer to? Remember, HO has been out of the game for about 5 years. Need to get back up on what the best projectors are, surrounds (I see JTR stop making them, @Jeff Permanian whats the deal), what high efficiency PA or horn mains to get, heck I still think DLP projectors were the bomb so I got some research to do. Good thing I will only get the plumbing roughed out, framing done, and hopefully electric, low volt, and plumbing going before the tulips start coming up.
post #30 of 64 Old 12-21-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinmoval View Post
Do a third zone for the basement and make sure there is a door at the bottom of the stairs to keep the heat down there in the winter. I have a separate zone for the theater and really should have a bypass to dump off the extra airflow as it’s too much for the size of my room and I’m at 28’x21’.

I measured four of my theater seats and they take up 10’ 8” of width for a reference point.
I think I want to do the seat>loveseat<seat config for my first row, then bar seats behind again. I think I can throw a beanbag on the left (west) wall and the kids won't care too much.
Loveseat for Primary listening position.

I'm assuming you are still recommending a 3rd zone for the basement with open concept?

Additionally, I'm going to build a return I think in the 12" top right square corner of the wine room (have a radon pipe in the floor coming out, so boxing around) up by the 18" door access to behind the screen....so I can put a mini HVAC unit to keep the wine room at 55-58 deg.... Wanted to bounce that off of you. I'll put the unit in the HVAC are to dissipate the heat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
#uxl18 #martysub #huskers #nebraska #houseprojects

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page