How to choose screen size per THX recommended angles - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 718
How to choose screen size per THX recommended angles

I just finished this video covering how to determine screen size based on THX recommended viewing angles as well as some suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Just starting to watch some of your videos.

But I must ask, why are you posting the very same video so many times, with slightly different titles? Really clogging up my New Articles feed.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Just starting to watch some of your videos.

But I must ask, why are you posting the very same video so many times, with slightly different titles? Really clogging up my New Articles feed.

Those are all in Different sections. Not everyone that may find this useful visits the same section and just wanted to share.
The video side isn't like speakers where you only have guys in maybe 2 primary sections. I may have put it in too many but just wanted to be helpful. Something for subs for instance I'd put in the sub section and speaker sections. As for the title I didn't copy and paste it as I only copy and pasted the body so I typed each title out hence the slight differences. That wasn't on purpose but just me not using copy and paste.

Last edited by cdy2179; 11-12-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2019, 07:28 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
@cdy2179

THX recommendations are exactly that......recommendations, from a "Brand" that wants to be considered definitive, and should not be construed as being absolutes. some of the information in that video is outdated, and does not apply to varied & newer Formats or users of various Formats, nor the decreased viewing distances that are possible with the advent of 4K . As such, many who would read/view those recommendations might deny themselves a better, more immersive experience.

The Forum exists so that Members can share and advise/ You did the former....but the advice within the Video is too generalized to be of a wider and more diverse audience. In the least encouraging members to use such information as a "starting point" and then ask for clarification on a open Thread would be much more productive.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 5 Old 11-12-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
@cdy2179

THX recommendations are exactly that......recommendations, from a "Brand" that wants to be considered definitive, and should not be construed as being absolutes. some of the information in that video is outdated, and does not apply to varied & newer Formats or users of various Formats, nor the decreased viewing distances that are possible with the advent of 4K . As such, many who would read/view those recommendations might deny themselves a better, more immersive experience.

The Forum exists so that Members can share and advise/ You did the former....but the advice within the Video is too generalized to be of a wider and more diverse audience. In the least encouraging members to use such information as a "starting point" and then ask for clarification on a open Thread would be much more productive.
40 degrees is still used as a guideline in professional designs but as you said and I said several times it's completely preference. I'm not sure If you watched it but I mention several times that it's just a recommendation and comes down to preference. I even mention I personally like a viewing angle slightly larger and know people that like even larger than I do. At no point did i say THX's "recomendation" was a rule to be adhered to. Again it sounds like you haven't watched the video as you seem to be in agreement with what's actually in the video. The video is based on imersiveness and comfort but yes you could definitely expand on it.

Last edited by cdy2179; 11-12-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page