Home Theater of the Month: Oconee Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Home Theater of the Month: Oconee Theater

The AVS Forum Home Theater of the Month for November 2019 is the Oconee Theater.*

Chuck Gerlach was originally a computer programmer, but ended up spending most of his career involved in the automation of financial transactions. Ten years as marketing director for Sigtech (the original digital room correction company) taught Chuck more about audio and room effects than anything else, even his formal education in applied mathematics! Gerlach claims he’s retired now, but still works as a consultant for Atlanta Home Theater and calibrating home theater setups “when the project makes sense.”

Click here to read the full post.

Last edited by AVS Forum News & Reviews; 11-01-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Congrats, @audioguy ! Having experienced version 3.78 of your theater evolution - which was excellent - I look forward to returning and enjoying version 4.2!!
post #3 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5121 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Thanks. There is virtually nothing in the audio or video chain (sans some cables) that is now present that was here when you were. (The theater seats and screen/masking system are probably the only exception). I do look forward to your visit, whenever that might be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks. There is virtually nothing in the audio or video chain (sans some cables) that is now present that was here when you were. (The theater seats and screen/masking system are probably the only exception). I do look forward to your visit, whenever that might be.
Your screen, seats and all the speakers but the Atmos ones haven't changed. Everything else has...in spades!

I can't wait to experience all the updates, including Adam's calibration. Apologies in advance to your wife for raising the 'nerd' factor again!
post #5 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 742
I have always appreciated the all business, no-nonsense look of audioguy's theater, especially before the beauty panels went up.
An AVS stalwart, very much deserved of the heady "Theater of the Month" title. Congratulations!
ss9001 likes this.
post #6 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Congrats, looks great! I'm only two hours away. When's the get-together?

BTW, if anyone has the chance to check out Atlanta Home Theater they have a SERIOUSLY impressive showroom.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I have always appreciated the all business, no-nonsense look of audioguy's theater, especially before the beauty panels went up.
An AVS stalwart, very much deserved of the heady "Theater of the Month" title. Congratulations!
Thank you for the kind comments. In the form vs function balance, I spent most of my time, money and resources on the function side. That said, and if money were no object (if only.), the overall cosmetics of the room would not change (but the front speakers would be behind a larger screen).
post #8 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Congrats, looks great! I'm only two hours away. When's the get-together?

BTW, if anyone has the chance to check out Atlanta Home Theater they have a SERIOUSLY impressive showroom.
I have yet to have an "official" get-together (and don't plan to). But lots of folks have been to one or another of my theaters over the years, and if you are interested, send me a PM and we can work on the specifics.

And you are right, Atlanta Home Theater has the largest home theater showroom in North America
NotShorty likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 11-01-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #9 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Very nice but for the love of god hide those wires
post #10 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
Very nice but for the love of god hide those wires
Thank you ... and I would love to hide the wires. But short of tearing up the floor and fishing the wire into the equipment room, I have no clue how to do that. And I have no interest in pulling up the carpet, tearing up the floor, then drilling through multiple joists - and then replacing everything. But like the rest of my "design" decisions, once the lights are off, and the movie starts, no one knows - or cares!!
rossandwendy likes this.
post #11 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 133
You need to get the fish tape. It should not be that difficult I imagine. I love the fact that you did the room in all black. So many people on here go all out with fancy red and other colors and spend so much money on decoration and end up with a so so system and screen. Bravo!
post #12 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Congratulations Chuck for the award. Well deserved.

Kim
post #13 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Congrats on the theater - looks fantastic!

You seem to have gone for a video setup almost identical to what I have planned - in terms of Z1, anamorphic lens and some sort of DTM.

Your room design is also similar in that it prioritises function over form and is quite minimal.

The best thing is your comment that you have little aspiration to continue making changes - suggests to me that you did things the right way

---------------

My build thread
post #14 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post

The best thing is your comment that you have little aspiration to continue making changes - suggests to me that you did things the right way
Thank you.

And while I would like to say I did things the right way, it was more a brute force method. I just kept upgrading and upgrading and changing and upgrading until I got to this point. Short of just adding more speakers (because I could - but won't), there really isn't anything left to upgrade.

And you will LOVE the RS4500, Lens and Lumagen and I'm sure you've seen the price drop on the RS4500!

Thanks again.
JohnnyWilkinson likes this.
post #15 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Congratulations Chuck for the award. Well deserved.

Kim
Thank you . I hope you are continuing to enjoy your wonderful theater.
post #16 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Congrats audioguy, your room looks great, simple but stylish. I like your approach to this hobby/passion/obsession, I agree function is more important than form. I bet it sounds very good.
post #17 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Chuck, you have a wonderful theater. But what I find so interesting about your theater is your AVS interview and your evolution over the years. Very interesting indeed! Perhaps one of the best home theater stories of all time!

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-02-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #18 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Hey Chuck. A big congrats on the HToTM. It is certainly deserving. And I enjoyed our few and brief conversations. Your theater is just fantastic.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #19 of 92 Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 3498
Nice form follows function theater design, reminds me of a good studio screening room.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #20 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Well deserved, Chuck! Congratulations!

I really like the simple, elegance of your room & that you gave the highest priority to acoustics & performance with great gear choices. I think we'd both agree that the Trinnov Altitude brings it all together - the cherry on top.

And I'll add my thanks to Steve B's for the informative discussion of your audio/HT journey and why you did what you did. Mark H did a good job interviewing you

Yours is the best sounding true home theater room I've heard in our area, even over some dealer showrooms I've been in. All that attention to passive acoustic treatment, sound control & room correction pays off

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 11-02-2019 at 05:00 AM.
post #21 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Congrats audioguy, your room looks great, simple but stylish. I like your approach to this hobby/passion/obsession, I agree function is more important than form. I bet it sounds very good.
Thank you - and it does sound very nice. I've been very blessed to be able to, over a very long period of time, upgrade and improve each of the elements in the audio (and more recently, video) chain.

I think maybe one of the best decisions I made was to spend what I did on passive room treatment (~$10K) when we first put the room together. And I think Glenn Kuras (GIK) hit a grand slam with the product choices and product placement he selected for the room. As I have said more than once, this room (less the ambient noise issue) sounds much better than the previous three theater rooms I have had.
post #22 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 5425 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thank you ... and I would love to hide the wires. But short of tearing up the floor and fishing the wire into the equipment room, I have no clue how to do that. And I have no interest in pulling up the carpet, tearing up the floor, then drilling through multiple joists - and then replacing everything. But like the rest of my "design" decisions, once the lights are off, and the movie starts, no one knows - or cares!!
Exactly. Once the lights are off you cant see those wires. I love how you prioritize function over form. My room takes that to the extreme. If I ever name my theater it's going to be called "The All Function No Form" Theater.

I didn't realize triad were based in Portland Oregon. I wonder if I could go listen to some here. The platinum LCR always seemed interesting to me but I've never been able to hear any.

You have great equipment. I bet your system is excellent in person

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #23 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Nice form follows function theater design, reminds me of a good studio screening room.
Thank you. Interesting you would select that choice of words. When the room was first completed, that is exactly what it looked like. All of the initial treatment is still there, but now hidden under fabric panels.

The whole notion of room cosmetics presented a real struggle when I decided I wanted to change what was the initial feel of the room. There are a few theaters (significantly more "attractive", with a "warmer feel") that I was drawn to. One of several examples: The Coffin Build. But I was equally drawn to theaters with a more functional, simpler feel. And as noted in this thread, I kept going back to the theater of Peter M. But what moved me to the decision of using black panels/gray columns was the AVS thread on The Blacker The Theater, The Better The Image. Given my focus on function over form, that turned out to be a wise move.

Room cosmetics is a very personal choice. There is no right or wrong. But for me, since 98% of the time I am in that room, the lights are off, I made the choices I did - and if I were starting over with unlimited funds, the room cosmetics would pretty much look like they do now.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #24 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Well deserved, Chuck! Congratulations!

I really like the simple, elegance of your room & that you gave the highest priority to acoustics & performance with great gear choices. I think we'd both agree that the Trinnov Altitude brings it all together - the cherry on top.

And I'll add my thanks to Steve B's for the informative discussion of your audio/HT journey and why you did what you did. Mark H did a good job interviewing you

Yours is the best sounding true home theater room I've heard in our area, even over some dealer showrooms I've been in. All that attention to passive acoustic treatment, sound control & room correction pays off
Thank you sir. And you are correct: The Trinnov, along with my investment in passive room acoustics, made this room this best sounding I have owned.

And yes, I have had an interesting audio journey. I've met, and been able to spend time with some wonderful people along the way. Maybe the most colorful was John Dunlavy (who wanted me to buy his company. Gerlach Audio doesn't have the same ring to it). Others who I have met either in person or "virtually" have also added to the pleasure of the journey: a now friend who I met 28 years ago when I was with SigTech when he became a customer and he also purchased Dunlavy speakers from me. I ended up moving to the same place he lives so now we get to stay in touch more frequently; and others noted in the interview. The opportunity to meet you (fellow "addict") and others who I have met doing room calibration has increased the pleasure of this hobby even further.
post #25 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Hey Chuck. A big congrats on the HToTM. It is certainly deserving. And I enjoyed our few and brief conversations. Your theater is just fantastic.
Thanks Mike. It has been an interesting journey.
post #26 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Very nice home theater you have. I am doing some changes to mine and I see that your surrounds are direct speakers instead of the bi or dipole speakers. Is this the type of speakers people are now using for surrounds ?

Thanks
post #27 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Very nice home theater you have. I am doing some changes to mine and I see that your surrounds are direct speakers instead of the bi or dipole speakers. Is this the type of speakers people are now using for surrounds ?

Thanks
Thank you.
In MY opinion, given the way surrounds are now utilized, direct makes sense - but maybe not in all applications.
post #28 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Chuck, you have a wonderful theater. But what I find so interesting about your theater is your AVS interview and your evolution over the years. Very interesting indeed! Perhaps one of the best home theater stories of all time!
Thanks Steve. It has been quite the journey.
post #29 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Very nice theater, congratulations.
post #30 of 92 Old 11-02-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 118
" 8 F-18 Seaton subwoofers"

+1.

Congrats on a super theater with well thought out room design.....but LOVE the attention to the lower frequency realm and SPL maintenance down to.. what... 9-10 HZ?

HT Sound Nirvana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page