Soffit across room, bad idea? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Soffit across room, bad idea?

I’m planning my soffits. Below is a drawing of what I had in mind. Screen is to the left. It’s a 13’ wide room so 16” soffits seem sufficient. Green is the planned soffit.

I would like to hide my Atmos speakers which are 27.5” from the side walls. If I do a soffit across the room (the yellow one) I can hide the speakers. Is this a good idea? It would allow me to separate the skyline diffusers from the other part of the ceiling. Projector beam would just go under the soffit (but only just).

But maybe this gives a bad vibe to the room, you’d actually look up to that soffit. Making the green marked soffits wider to accommodate the Atmos speakers makes them too wide for the room I think.

How are others hiding their on-ceiling Atmos speakers? (I can’t do in-ceiling as it’s a concrete ceiling). I’d have to lower the ceiling to hide the speakers, hence a soffit. Normal ceiling height is 8’7”.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 10:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6014 Post(s)
Liked: 5594
I would do a speaker cloud before adding a big soffit, see Beast Unleashed thread. you really don't need anything taller than 5 inches for the RSL ceiling speakers that are very capable of doing Atmos ceiling effects. I think you were thinking about building your own but that just creates more problems.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Soffit across room, bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I would do a speaker cloud before adding a big soffit, see Beast Unleashed thread. you really don't need anything taller than 5 inches for the RSL ceiling speakers that are very capable of doing Atmos ceiling effects. I think you were thinking about building your own but that just creates more problems.

The Atmos speakers that match my set are 6” so indeed not that high. I do like the look of the side soffits, instead of those Beast clouds, but your mention of the word cloud does give me an idea. I could make a slight bulge on the soffit. That would even help with clearing the path between speaker and ear, if I use speaker cloth there and no mdf.

(in the circle you can see how my speakers are slanted, it’s very much shaped like those upfiring add on Atmos modules, but down from the ceiling).

So maybe this will work? Bit more complex to build though.

Last edited by ijansch; 11-30-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page