Please help me pick the projector screen size to fit this room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveCallas
  • 1 Post By schmidtwi

post #1 of 16 Old 12-02-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Please help me pick the projector screen size to fit this room

Almost done with my theater room. The room is 15' wide by 23' long...the wall the screen will be going on is the 15' wide and is 105" tall. I wanted to get a 150" screen but with my measurements there would be 1 foot on top and bottom left....not really enough room for center right? I will also be having 2 15" subs which are 24" tall in between the center and fronts.

As of now I plan to have my seating approx 16' back.

Also I have had this exact screen in 120" before and was very happy with it....is this a screen that you all would get?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4WRVVC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Any other info would be appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-02-2019, 02:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6019 Post(s)
Liked: 5599
couple of thoughts, seating at 16 ft back is 25% further than I would do, did you ever consider an Acoustically transparent screen so you can lift the center channel behind the screen?
post #3 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
couple of thoughts, seating at 16 ft back is 25% further than I would do, did you ever consider an Acoustically transparent screen so you can lift the center channel behind the screen?

No I havent on the screen...What size would you get? I dont have to sit back 16'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 791
My room is 15.5 x 27.5 x 9, and a 142” diagonal, 2.35:1 screen seems like the perfect fit. I sit 12’ from the screen, essentially 1x screen size (diagonal)
Ladeback likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Will you only have one row of seats? What projector do you have or will go with. My current room is 14'x25.58'x8.58' and was thinking of going with a 166" 2.40:1 acoustical transparent screen. A 130" 16:9 screen will fit inside of this. To do it, you would need a anamorphic lens, JVC or Epson projector that has lens memory to fill the big screen. With this set up you could sit back about 12' and have room for the AT screen and maybe a second row. With a 150" 16:9 screen you could still fit a AT screen in and a second row if you want or you could go big with a 160" 16:9 screen if you are doing one row. The easy way to calculate eyes to screen is take the screen height times 2 to 2.25 to give you you distance. As to how close to sit is what you are comfortable. I am good at 2 times the height or a little closer, some may not like that, but you are building this for you so make for what is comfortable to you.

If you have a projector, set it up where you screen wall will be and see what looks good to you for size and distance.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #6 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I have a Seymour 137.7" AT screen and the first row is about 9 feet back. It is slightly overwhelming for some, but I am used to it. The back row is another 5 feet back and I would be able to easily go with a screen about 10" larger. If you have depth to spare, I would definitely look at going with an AT screen so you don't have the height issues with your front speakers. I have about the same depth in my room as you.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #7 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Will you only have one row of seats? What projector do you have or will go with. My current room is 14'x25.58'x8.58' and was thinking of going with a 166" 2.40:1 acoustical transparent screen. A 130" 16:9 screen will fit inside of this. To do it, you would need a anamorphic lens, JVC or Epson projector that has lens memory to fill the big screen. With this set up you could sit back about 12' and have room for the AT screen and maybe a second row. With a 150" 16:9 screen you could still fit a AT screen in and a second row if you want or you could go big with a 160" 16:9 screen if you are doing one row. The easy way to calculate eyes to screen is take the screen height times 2 to 2.25 to give you you distance. As to how close to sit is what you are comfortable. I am good at 2 times the height or a little closer, some may not like that, but you are building this for you so make for what is comfortable to you.

If you have a projector, set it up where you screen wall will be and see what looks good to you for size and distance.

Thanks, it will just be one row....can you recommend a good screen and link for the transparent screen. So it sounds like 16' back is too far back? I would love to go with a 150" screen..I have a epson 5040UB projector
post #8 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/STR-169150-WA...5408214&sr=8-1

is this a good option and is this a good price?
post #9 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 02:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Yes, if you want a pre-made frame complete with material. There are members here who make their own frames and wrap with material from CarlsPlace, Spandex World or SeymourAV You could save a couple to several hundred depending on choice of fabric. I think the Silver Ticket screen is a Value proposition. You get a lot for your money.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Yes, if you want a pre-made frame complete with material. There are members here who make their own frames and wrap with material from CarlsPlace, Spandex World or SeymourAV You could save a couple to several hundred depending on choice of fabric. I think the Silver Ticket screen is a Value proposition. You get a lot for your money.

Thanks now I need to decide if I want to build a frame to support the acoustic transparent screen....so if I go with 150" and build it out I would put all of my speakers behind the screen (right center left and 2 subs) I would raise the subs off the ground on a box or something?

anyone have any pics of how the speakers would look behind the screen. I cant seem to find a ton of info online

thanks
post #11 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 02:48 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

you can't see the speakers behind a screen. You usually need to build stands so the tweeter is at the middle of the screen. Simple MDF boxes with a bag of sand (in the bag) work well. One of my clients, I don't think I've ever seen more speakers behind a screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11894018_944018168994986_8183109986519730221_o.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	2648970   Click image for larger version

Name:	oqMTgdY.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	819.8 KB
ID:	2648972  

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 12-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipschfn View Post
Thanks, it will just be one row....can you recommend a good screen and link for the transparent screen. So it sounds like 16' back is too far back? I would love to go with a 150" screen..I have a epson 5040UB projector
If you want to stay at 16' back you could go with a 174" 16:9 screen from that distance which would very nice. The 5040 should handle it. Seymour screens are nice and you save a lot when you just buy the fabric and build your own frame. They will send you plans on how to build one if you contact them with interest in buying from them. They will send you samples as well of the material they use.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #13 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I decided to go with a Seymour screen with their frame system. I also did masking panels so I could watch at normal ratio and at wide screen. The masking panels have magnets, and we installed shelves on the side walls to store them when not in use. It's the best of both worlds. Looks like we have a lot of similar aspects to our theaters. I have a build thread linked below that shows most aspects of putting my theater together. Full disclaimer though, this was my first go at a home theater and I obtained a good amount of my info from this site. I do remember spending a lot of time trying to figure out the right screen size, height off the floor, angles for ATMOS speakers, etc.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #14 of 16 Old 12-03-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 185
A 150" 16:9 will result in a small scope size.

My room is 14' x 21' and I also went with a Seymour AV Screen - speakers behind screen. Went with a 155x74 screen to maximize both 16:9 and 2.39:1, which gives me about 150" 16:9 & 164" 2:39:1 image. I sit 11' back and it is glorious! BTW - I had an Epson 5040 and just upgraded to the 5050 - major improvement in an already wonderful picture.

Ladeback likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010

Last edited by schmidtwi; 12-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
You could design this space from the seating. Plant the seating row at 2/3rds room depth for smooth audio response, and carve off the front depth by employing an acoustically transparent
screen and screen wall. And with an acoustically transparent screen, you can raise the center channel or potentially use three identical speakers up front.

There is little benefit from sitting 16' from a screen. You give up brightness, with a screen size that is overly big, and you sit too far for your eyes to resolve 4K. Your speaker selection also needs to
be carefully considered as things like dome speakers are unlikely to be up to the task of playing reference levels at the seats.

The AT screen also allows you to easily acoustically treat the front wall and even host bass traps up front. And speaker finishes can be outright flat lack boring and rather cheap when it comes to some
subwoofer flat packs.

A counter as to for scope being smaller: I disabled the lower masking panel and rather preferred it, with a single row. Plans for the next room is hdtv shows, concerts and sports will have the larger 16x9 and scope will
be looked at as more intimate. I sure didn't know this would turn out that I rather prefer a single upper mask and all formats tied to the bottom of the screen, which is 16" off the floor. It'll also be pretty
simplistic to rebuild my masking system for an larger screen, using what I already own. Hdtv shows are important viewing for myself, and I got as far as buying an anamorphic lens and curved scope screen, which
will be flipped back into cash.

You don't need to raise your subs, and ideally you don't have them blowing on an acoustically transparent screen.
post #16 of 16 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticbowman View Post
I have a Seymour 137.7" AT screen and the first row is about 9 feet back. It is slightly overwhelming for some, but I am used to it. The back row is another 5 feet back and I would be able to easily go with a screen about 10" larger. If you have depth to spare, I would definitely look at going with an AT screen so you don't have the height issues with your front speakers. I have about the same depth in my room as you.
@arcticbowman , if I may ask, which Seymour screen did you go with? Premiere? Precision? I am seriously considering the AT Precision for my new room. My MLP will be 9.5' feet back and I am considering the 126.2" and the 131.9" (16:9 format). I was worried that the 131.9" might be a bit too much and was leaning 126.2".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page