Banister Theater Build Out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Banister Theater Build Out

I currently have a "home theater" in an open space on my second floor with a banister overlooking the family room below. I'll be building a wall to enclose this room and placing the screen on this new wall, thus rotating the room 90*. A few questions I'm currently pondering are do I install In-Wall Speakers or use floor standing/wall mount. Do I increase the screen size (currently 110') due to the extended distance from screen to seating. Most importantly I need to know what considerations I need to make DURING construction. I won't be able to purchase everything at once so this will be a modular build and upgrading my equipment over time.

Current Setup:
Projector - BenQ HT2050
Screen - Silver Ticket STR-169110
Speakers - Fronts: Mirage OS3 Floor Speakers x2 ; Center: Mirage OS3 CC ; Rear: Nanosat Prestige ; Sub: Definitive Technology ProSub 1000
Receiver - Denon 3311CI

I'm wanting to make theater 4k so I'll need to replace the Projector and Receiver. I'll also want to add ceiling speakers for atmos and not opposed to adding side speakers to make it a 7.1.2 system. All of which I'll need to decide between in wall or not in wall soon.

Here are some dimensions and pictures of my space. In the picture with the banister, the new wall will be going up where the banister is and will be identical to the wall on the other side of the open space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2423.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	831.3 KB
ID:	2648534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2424.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	709.1 KB
ID:	2648536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2430.jpg
Size:	689.0 KB
ID:	2648538   Click image for larger version

Name:	room layout.PNG
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2648540  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Decided last night to stick with the Mirage LCR and Rears that I already have. They still sound incredible so no need to replace those, and I'm not sure I could get the same sound out of in wall speakers unless I spend 1500-2000 per. What I am interested in is adding in wall/ceiling for my side and highs. Does it matter what I go with for those since they don't drive that much audio? I'll also add another DefTech 1000 for a dual sub.

ALSO with my room length (189") my closest seating will be about 10 feet from the screen with my main seating about 14'. Should I go for a bigger screen (currently have 110"0. Would 135" be too big?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked: 1800
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaberst View Post
Decided last night to stick with the Mirage LCR and Rears that I already have. They still sound incredible so no need to replace those, and I'm not sure I could get the same sound out of in wall speakers unless I spend 1500-2000 per. What I am interested in is adding in wall/ceiling for my side and highs. Does it matter what I go with for those since they don't drive that much audio? I'll also add another DefTech 1000 for a dual sub.

You bet it matters...because Side Surrounds do in fact present considerable content. And there are some terrific choices to choose from.....and you surely do NOT need to spend even remotely as much as you stated to get incredible performance from In-Walls/. You simply must "choose wisely".

Quote:
ALSO with my room length (189") my closest seating will be about 10 feet from the screen with my main seating about 14'. Should I go for a bigger screen (currently have 110"0. Would 135" be too big?

Not nearly so much if the bottom of the screen is set at an appropriate level (20" - 24") A 135" diagonal 2.39:1 would seem to be a best choice. (125" x 52") as that format will allow a proper mounting height for the Mirage Center. You could even consider a DIY 140" diagonal 2.39:1 (54"x129") The Front row would be an immersive experience, and at 14' distance, anything less than a "almost 11' wide" screen will seem understated....in the least.

The 2050 does have minimal Vertical Lens shift, and from a purist stance, having to manually adjust the Projector between TV/Movies is not so troublesome if doing so allows for optimal Format viewing, and the elimination of the Top * Bottom Format Bars.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Here is a great choice of a 138" diag. 2.35:1 Silver Ticket in a Silver Material
Right Here!

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
You bet it matters...because Side Surrounds do in fact present considerable content. And there are some terrific choices to choose from.....and you surely do NOT need to spend even remotely as much as you stated to get incredible performance from In-Walls/. You simply must "choose wisely".

Not nearly so much if the bottom of the screen is set at an appropriate level (20" - 24") A 135" diagonal 2.39:1 would seem to be a best choice. (125" x 52") as that format will allow a proper mounting height for the Mirage Center. You could even consider a DIY 140" diagonal 2.39:1 (54"x129") The Front row would be an immersive experience, and at 14' distance, anything less than a "almost 11' wide" screen will seem understated....in the least.

The 2050 does have minimal Vertical Lens shift, and from a purist stance, having to manually adjust the Projector between TV/Movies is not so troublesome if doing so allows for optimal Format viewing, and the elimination of the Top * Bottom Format Bars.
Thanks for the info on the sides and highs. I just read the other day that they didn't have much sound pushed to them, but I've also never used any or had ATMOS content at my current setup.

For the screen, I've been debating going the 2.39:1 route since I'm about 60/40 Movies/TV. Not sure if that screen format would work well with as much TV watching (mainly epic shows like Game of Thrones, Band of Brothers, etc. and Sports) that I do on it. I'll also be upgrading my projector soon after the project so looking at an Epson and the newer BenQ 4ks that have more lens adjustment. I think the epson I've been researching has a motorized lens.

PS, Just saw your PM. I will be responding!
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 597
I sit just over 10' from a 135" diagonal 2.40:1 screen and it seems just about perfect to me. At 14' you might be underwhelmed.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I sit just over 10' from a 135" diagonal 2.40:1 screen and it seems just about perfect to me. At 14' you might be underwhelmed.
I think my problem will be with center speaker placement if I go too large. I may have to ditch the mirage center channel and go with in wall and AT Screen.
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaberst View Post
I think my problem will be with center speaker placement if I go too large. I may have to ditch the mirage center channel and go with in wall and AT Screen.

That was going to be a suggestion I would have made...but between your already liking the Mirages' and the expense/ loss of gain & potential visible artifacts, I deemed it a less than optimal suggestion.

The Epson 5050/6050 combined with a new, "opaque" lager sized 2.39:1 screen seems to be a combo of the best of all things to consider. Second to that would be the larger screen size in a AT screen (Spandex?) and a quality In-Wall such as a KEF.

A 5050 set at 15' Throw would deliver almost 30 fl onto a 0.7 gain Spandex Screen. If you went with a 0.9-1.0 gain AT screen you'd manage almost 10 more fl, BUT...because you'd be so engaged in the screen (close in) you would possibly (if not indeed probably) be able to see the Screen's weave or perforated surface in brighter content.

Absolutely NO chance of that with Spandex.

So either keep the Center you know and make a big 2.39:1 screen......or make a big 2.39:1 screen and put a excellent In-Wall Speaker behind it.

post #9 of 9 Old Today, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the first decision is going to be screen aspect ratio and if I want black bars on the side of my image or on top and bottom of my image. I do watch A LOT of sports (NFL/College Football and Basketball) in my theater so would always have black bars on the sides and I feel like I would be underwhelmed by the smaller size. Since I've never had a 2.39:1 screen I've become accustomed to the top and bottom bars on most movies so sticking with 16:9/1.77:1 wouldn't be a change for me. If I got 2.39 it also seems like a pain in the butt to be adjusting the zoom between different formats and re-positioning the lens, thus would limit my projects options in the <$3,000 category to pretty much epson since they have the powered memory lens's. Is that about right? Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Also MississippiMan props to your avatar. We named our son Korbin, that's how much my wife and I love that movie lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page