Screw through double drywall missed channel - remove or leave? (kinda urgent!) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-03-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Screw through double drywall missed channel - remove or leave? (kinda urgent!)

Doing 2 x drywall, GG, whisper clips right now. Plasterers have just started on the second layer of drywall. The plasterers are doing a good job but some screws on the second layer have missed the channel. They could be sitting against the side of the channel. Should we remove the screws and caulk? The screws penetration both layers. Alternatively, they suggest tapping the screw in to recess the head, and caulking over the top. I'm worried that if the screw is touching the side of the channel it may loosen and start to rattle against the channel. What should we do? If we remove the screw and caulk, I'm not confident that more than a few mm of caulk is getting into the hole.

Or does it not matter either way, and I'm overreacting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdillon View Post
Doing 2 x drywall, GG, whisper clips right now. Plasterers have just started on the second layer of drywall. The plasterers are doing a good job but some screws on the second layer have missed the channel. They could be sitting against the side of the channel. Should we remove the screws and caulk? The screws penetration both layers. Alternatively, they suggest tapping the screw in to recess the head, and caulking over the top. I'm worried that if the screw is touching the side of the channel it may loosen and start to rattle against the channel. What should we do? If we remove the screw and caulk, I'm not confident that more than a few mm of caulk is getting into the hole.

Or does it not matter either way, and I'm overreacting?
Hi there psdillon,

You may be overreacting a bit. Just remove the screw, reset and caulk the hole. the screw should not have created a big hole. The bigger issue is ensuring no screws get screwed through to a stud. the whole drywall layer(s) need to hang (float) off that resilient channel. Remember to caulk all your joints top and bottom up and down. Also any penetrations should be addressed (outlets, etc). Hope this helps.

post #3 of 3 Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasabeHD View Post
Hi there psdillon,

You may be overreacting a bit. Just remove the screw, reset and caulk the hole. the screw should not have created a big hole. The bigger issue is ensuring no screws get screwed through to a stud. the whole drywall layer(s) need to hang (float) off that resilient channel. Remember to caulk all your joints top and bottom up and down. Also any penetrations should be addressed (outlets, etc). Hope this helps.

Thanks Kasabe for the quick response! Yeah I *think* I'm all over the frame isolation, screw lengths and other penetrations. Just those small screw holes were bothering me, particularly the ones through both layers.

But, the guys had a good idea - they're taking them out and putting in grabber screws. They pull flush into the plaster, and the their torque screw drivers are making that rattling sound, showing that they are tight and not loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page