New HT build v4.0 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New HT build v4.0

This will be my 4th home theater I've built in as many homes. This will be my first starting from an unfinished basement space and with a more advanced knowledge of what I want to do. Previous builds I either had a finished basement to work with already or started unfinished, but didn't know how to build the space best. All my last gear, which I loved and thought would be the last I'd buy, got sold with my last house to close the deal.

This time the unfinished space is the biggest yet, 34 ft long 14 ft wide and 9ft high. It is a fantastic spot in my basement, where I don't have to walk through the room to get to another room and as big as it is, is still less than half the square footage of the whole basement we are finishing. Construction will be done by a local contraction who specializes in basements.

My question is: am I doing this the best way?

I have a solid idea of what I want to do, but would love to hear from the accomplished and armchair home theater design buffs here.

Bonus points if your are familiar with DIYSG speakers.

I already have a 150" acoustically transparent screen and I plan now to have that on a false wall set 2 1/2 feet off the room wall. The false wall will be cover in the screen and acoustical transparent black fabric.

For speakers I have settled on DIYSG Aggressive 1299, ported, for the LCR and Volt 10's for surrounds. I would like 2 of some Ultimax 18-22 based subwoofer design, possibly sealed. Atmos speakers, 4 of them, will be wired in the ceiling and installed down the line.

I'd like to find a cheaper option in terms of speakers, but I like boom and this is a big space.

Projector and receiver/amps will be purchased after the room is built in late February/early March.

Just to the right of the screen is a small alcove where the rack will be to hold all AV and the home's IT set up. I plan on running 3-4 20 amp dedicated circuits to the rack. I will get some Crown or Behringer amp to supply at least 1000w+ to each sub, and am looking for a good amp set up for the LCR's too. I'll have 3 20amp dedicated circuits run to the rack.

The ceiling will be double drywalled and insulated with Safe and Sound insulation as my master bedroom is just above.

The questions I have: are 1299's the best as they are the most per speaker I'd like to spend, what Ulitmax based sub enclosure would be best (I'd like to stay smaller, mini marty, VBSS, Devastator and more simple sealed box), and any other idea for ceiling sound transmission dampening (other than a room in a room or resilient channels) and if I have enough power to the rack?

This won't be as dedicated a space either, it will also server as my home video studio where I will record clients. All acoustic wall treatments I'lll have on the walls for listening to sound are perfect for recording sound too and make the space a tax right off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement 4.0 overhead.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	2649012   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement 4.0 sideview.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	506.2 KB
ID:	2649014  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcantu View Post
The questions I have: are 1299's the best as they are the most per speaker I'd like to spend
You really answered your own question, if ~$480/speaker is what you're looking to spend for LCR, the 1299s are the DIYSG offering you want. Note that there are currently no 1299 flatpacks offered on the site (but you could email Erich and see if he has any).

If you can bump the budget, the Titans would be better in that amount of space IMHO. But the 1299s shouldn't disappoint (you don't mention what your normal listening levels are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcantu
what Ulitmax based sub enclosure would be best (I'd like to stay smaller, mini marty, VBSS, Devastator and more simple sealed box)
Neither the V.B.S.S. nor the Devastator variants are UM-based designs IIRC. I would look into Devastators for the midbass punch, Martys or a bunch of UM18 sealed for the low end. Maybe IB if you have the space behind some of those walls?

Lastly, you're likely to get more responses to the speakers/subs questions in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks @smcmillian2 ! I had toyed with the idea of the Titans, but cost/WAF/physical size lead me way from them. My normal listening levels are Just below reference level and "turn it down" level.

I'm handy and have a good workshop, I was planning on cutting my own 1299 boxes anyway.

Midbass punch is what I have been looking at, Devastators is my top choice so far.

I'll post this also to the DIY area too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Great space. Will the rack be open or behind a door like Bigs? The lights get annoying once the room is dark, any chance you can move it to the side of the alcove behind the main seats?

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
Great space. Will the rack be open or behind a door like Bigs? The lights get annoying once the room is dark, any chance you can move it to the side of the alcove behind the main seats?
I planed on a door for lights and sound. Where it is now is a really good use of space in regard to the basement as a whole. I'll also have just as much access to the rear of the rack and will have a door there too.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcantu View Post
This won't be as dedicated a space either, it will also server as my home video studio where I will record clients. All acoustic wall treatments I'lll have on the walls for listening to sound are perfect for recording sound too and make the space a tax right off.

What type of recording will you be doing? Are you planning on making a stage, etc?
What does the setup look like for this? cables strung on the floor? Recording desk located somewhere in the room as well?

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page