Room with a room - 2x3 instead of 2x4? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-05-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Room with a room - 2x3 instead of 2x4?

Has anyone used 2x3 stud work for a room within a room, instead of the normal 2x4?

Room is only 12ft x 13ft - I'm in the UK and rooms tend to be much smaller here I think. Studs will be then 16" or 24" centres. Single layer OSB and then drywall. Will the structure be rigid enough and be able to support decoupled joists?

I'm sure I've seen it done before, but I know most on here go for 2x4 timber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Stateside the problem with 2x3's is they are usually NEVER true and they bow like a limp noodle.. I would avoid them unless you know they are good quality and wont warp.. Also check their loading capabilities as compared to a 2x4 (probably not an issue, but worth looking into)

Modular homes in the 50's were all built with 2x3s and they have held up fine, but their quality was much better than what we have now.. Once again this refers to stuff in the USA..
post #3 of 3 Old 12-06-2019, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
Stateside the problem with 2x3's is they are usually NEVER true and they bow like a limp noodle.. I would avoid them unless you know they are good quality and wont warp.. Also check their loading capabilities as compared to a 2x4 (probably not an issue, but worth looking into)

Cheers. I'm not considered that concern, thank you for mentioning it. I'll see what the builder wants to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page