14 x 24 foot room layout help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 97
14 x 24 foot room layout help

My sister is in the middle of building a new house and the home theatre room is 14 feet wide by 24 feet deep. She wants 2 rows of 3 for seats and a bar height table in the back with a 120 inch 16x9 at screen. Does she have enough room? and does the first row have to be 12 feet back or can it be a little closer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post
My sister is in the middle of building a new house and the home theatre room is 14 feet wide by 24 feet deep. She wants 2 rows of 3 for seats and a bar height table in the back with a 120 inch 16x9 at screen. Does she have enough room? and does the first row have to be 12 feet back or can it be a little closer?
Seating distance is a bit of personal preference. Some people would have no problem sitting at 8 ft but I think your audio experience would suffer. 10-12ft first row from 120 inch screen should be good for most individuals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Manic1! likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 05:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked: 5866
seats backs at 11 and 17 1/2. leaves room for a 16 inch bar top and 62 inches for stools at the back. If you want a false wall with an AT screen it needs to 6-8 inches deep and steal that from the back.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I have a 14x20 room with one row of 3 and bar seating behind it. I sit 12' from my 155" 2.35:1 screen and it is perfect distance.
With your extra 4' length you can easily do what you propose.

Although 14' width may be a problem - I found it too narrow with my 3 seater recliner with arms between each seat - surround speakers were a bit too close so I had to recess them into the wall and then I changed my seating and removed the 2 arms between the seats to make just a 'normal' 3 seater lounge with just arms on the outside.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 86
If you use an acoustically transparent screen and in-wall speakers (or place speakers into cabinets recessed into the front wall), you will have enough space.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 08:09 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 1892
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

I think we need more information before any really productive suggestions can be made. A big unknown is the budget limitation, as well as performance expectations.
No sexism intended, but is Sis a A/V Enthusiast, or a 1st Timer looking for a good starter system. Ceiling Height is a critical measurement that is lacking...needed to determine what is and is not feasible on many fronts.

That said, a 24' deep x 14' wide space is very workable, if the right size screen in relation to 1st & 2nd row /Bar distances is chosen, and mated with the right Projector.

Items such as an Acoustic Screen set into a False Wall are a bit much for most beginners, and certainly add to the complexity and cost. The suggestion of In-Walls and a Acoustic Screen is a good starting point, and from there ......if desired, things can progress further.

I've worked up a hypothetical Floor Plan to let you see the type dimensions and distances your stated measurements can offer. I would offer a hypothetical list of Equipment, set at a lower Mid Tier as far as price and Performance....but that too might be presumptuously premature.

Still, the plan below allows for Floor Standing Mains...either a Wall mounted or In-Wall Center...4 Wall mounted or In-Wall Surrounds...2 Ceiling mounted Rear Surrounds...and 4 Atmos In-Ceiling. 4 THX-Ultra In-Wall Subs keep the floor space clean. 13 Channel Receivers are here and reasonably affordable. Here's the thing...your room is deep and your projecting seating space for anywhere between 12-16 humans. If any real funds are to be spent beyond the Image, it must be on the multi-channel sound.

.......and mentioning the Screen.....either a 120" x 50" 2.39:1 Mfg Screen, Solid surface or Acoustic...or a fully Painted "Non-Format" Screen Wall...screen size fully adjustable to the need at hand.

Projector? Well much now depends upon your feedback answers to the ist questions posed above.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hypothetical 13 channel Floor Plan 14x24.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2650516  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 149
My theater is 13X21 with finished dimensions (front of screen to back wall). I have an AT screen that adds about 2&1/2 feet of depth behind the screen for the front LCR and 2 15" subs. I've got two rows of 4 seats, but had to do a loveseat design with the right side against the wall to make them fit leaving a large enough walkway on the opposite side. My front row viewing distance is 10' back from the screen, and the rear row is 17' back. I ended up with a little over 3' behind the rear seats where I can put a couple of bar stools, but it would be tight for a full bar top. I installed the AV cabinet back there as well, so the bar top wouldn't have worked. If I had 2-3 more feet of depth, I could have done it, so you may be good to go if you don't end up losing too much space by putting speakers behind the screen. That being said, I would definitely recommend an AT screen.

I have a 137.7" diagonal (120" wide) screen in 16:9. I do have masking panels that converts it to a 2.39:1 widescreen. Watching 16:9 from 10' away seems to be a bit much for some folks that have come over to watch sports, but the widescreen is great from that distance. From 17' back, both aspects are great, but it feels like the widescreen could be bigger.

You can take a look through my build thread in the link below to see some pictures. Three seats would have been a lot better for my set up, but we needed the 8-10 seating range for some of our movie nights. It doesn't feel cramped at all in the theater with a full house, although sneaking through on the back row can get a little tight when the recliners are out.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page