Reveal speakers behind screen with lights - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Reveal speakers behind screen with lights

There used to be this imax (or Dolby) intro in cinemas that at some points turns the light on behind the screen revealing the speakers behind it. I can’t find that trailer online to show you what I mean but maybe some people remember.

I was wondering if this could be done with any woven acoustically transparant screen, and how bright those lights would have to be.

I found one video of a person who did something similar but in the video it’s hardly visible:

My screen isn’t mounted yet so i can’t really try, but if this is feasible I can already take the lighting into account in the framing.

Anybody did something like this? Did it work out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I tried this with the Seymour UF material and it did not work well, but still gives a slight effect. It does work better with other types of material from Seymour, however my front row of seating was too close, so I had to go with the UF material which is slightly less transparent.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 06:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 460 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6161 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Yes the effect is highly dependent on the choice of screen fabric. I think the newer "4K ready" fabrics are tighter weaves and hard to see through. I've worked with a couple of clients that were disappointed with the final result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I’ve purchased the silver ticket woven acoustic screen. Does anyone happen to have that one hanging on a false wall and willing to shine some light from behind to see what the effect looks like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 987
I was just searching for this same thing for my upcoming build. I don't think I would want to sacrifice picture quality for this effect. If the current situation is that newer tighter weaves of screen material are better than what used to be available back in the days where the speakers behind the screen were revealed, I'm fine skipping it, but I would love to have this affect.

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #6 of 6 Old 12-13-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Perhaps brighter lights needed to increase visibility? Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page