AV Cabinet Located Too Far Away? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AV Cabinet Located Too Far Away?

Planning my first HT Build. Have identified a perfect location for my AV Cabinet... but is 18ft away from the HT room.

Any potential issues with signals/data traveling this distance?

Thx.

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 12:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
how far from the projector location? Speakers no problem
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
how far from the projector location? Speakers no problem
Estimated total run would be approx. 28ft to the projector...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adams Basement Floor Plan (Tyrone Permit) 11.17-Floor Plan copy.pdf (118.2 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The one problem that you might run into is with that long of an HDMI run as runs over 25 feet can be problematic, though you could try a good copper HDMI cable and see, but you might have to go with a fiber optic HDMI cable. Speaker Cable runs should be fine, though I'd probably go 12g copper.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Will definitely look into fiber optic HDMI for this.

Believe Monoprice is running a 40% off Speaker Wire sale. Will check there for a sufficient 12ga copper option.

Thx to both you and Jeff!
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhs1989 View Post
Will definitely look into fiber optic HDMI for this.

Believe Monoprice is running a 40% off Speaker Wire sale. Will check there for a sufficient 12ga copper option.

Thx to both you and Jeff!
You have a couple options, some have been suggested.

others are;

1. Buy a cable with redmere tech, allowing distances to be greater. I have used these a bunch of times and they seem to work great.

2. You also can use video baluns, they change any type of signal to run down a Cat5/Cat6 (some time two cables). This would be a more expensive route but more future proof if things change and you need to change a cable type.

2.5. Another option is very similar is a HDbaseT balun. This usually only runs on one Cat5/Cat6 cable.

I have been doing a fair amount of automation in residential homes with video matrix systems or far away distribution racks. My suggestion is if you do pull Cat cable use Cat6.

Either way you go I would try to put a central vacuum pipe to your projector for a chase if ever need if you have solid ceilings.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Make sure to think about control signals (IR repeaters are useful) and also if you want to do gaming that the consoles controllers might not be able to connect to the device if it's too far away.

The advice on HDMI is good, you will need a hybrid cable to push signals that distance if you want 4K. Inevitably whatever you run will become outdated, so conduits are a must have (and set it up where you can actually pull wires. If there are lots of bends you might think about junction spots where you can access and pull the cable, then feed into a different conduit)

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #8 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have always used Belden 10 gauge for speaker runs and even doubled it up on runs over 25 feet. It’s less than $0.80/ft when purchased in bulk. Just picked up 250 feet for a little over $200.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 55
AV Cabinet Located Too Far Away?

I have about that distance from my rack to my main living room.

Here are some experiences.

1) in principle the hdbase-t balun works great to carry hdmi from AV to tv and IR and optical out back to the cabinet. Even HDR signals aren’t a problem. (Check that the balun has support for your highest required modes)
2) my cable box uses RF instead of IR signals for some functionality and its RF range was too short, so I can’t use all controls. Luckily most of the more common controls also work via IR. (I can’t directly open the guide as that’s an RF command, but I can go there indirectly via the main menu.)
3) the Apple TV can be controlled via IR and Bluetooth but since I missed the bluetooth commands and wanted to use a game controller, I moved the Apple TV from the cabinet to behind the screen.
4) the Logitech harmony communicates with its hub via RF and the cabinet was just out of reach (*) so the hub is now behind the screen too and I use the Balun and an IR splitter in the cabinet to control everything.
5) Debugging can be hell. If something doesn’t work (for example when tweaking Logitech harmony settings or when one of the repeaters isn’t positioned properly), I’m constantly walking to the cabinet to check something and then back again.

But once everything works I’m pretty happy with the fact that the cabinet is invisible and out of the way. Note that this isn’t my ht but my regular living room but the problems would be similar.

*) theoretically the range of the hub would be enough for this distance but with walls between it the range is reduced so sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. Since I didn’t want to constantly walk towards one side of the room for proper control, I moved the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page