Best ceiling mount for JVC NX7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 19 Old 12-08-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Best ceiling mount for JVC NX7

Gathering the last bits before starting my home theater project. What ceiling mount do you recommend for my JVC NX7 projector?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-08-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
Gathering the last bits before starting my home theater project. What ceiling mount do you recommend for my JVC NX7 projector?

Thanks!

https://www.projectorscreen.com/chie...rojectors.html

Can never go wrong with a Chief mount

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 12-08-2019, 07:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 460 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6162 Post(s)
Liked: 5832
Chief with the solid steel custom adapter plate, not the universal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4006 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
https://www.projectorscreen.com/chie...rojectors.html

Can never go wrong with a Chief mount

While agreeing with the use of the Chief RMPA281 "Projector Specific" mount, I do NOT agree that the "X" configured Ceiling Plate is a good match. It is severely limiting in it's footprint for hanging a 47lb projector, requiring substantial wood support across an area that is just beyond that of any single Ceiling joist. That concern can be mitigated if access above is available to add in well secured support, or the room is new construction and the same effort be made during Framing.

I always use the Peerless ACC570 Round Ceiling Plate, because it offers a 8" diameter footprint, and the Hole Pattern is spread out further, distributing the side sheer force across a broader area. https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-ACC5.../dp/B000BITSTA
Get the White one and paint it the same color as the Ceiling....also...it cost less for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acc570s.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2651622  
Karl Maga likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 12-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
While agreeing with the use of the Chief RMPA281 "Projector Specific" mount, I do NOT agree that the "X" configured Ceiling Plate is a good match. It is severely limiting in it's footprint for hanging a 47lb projector, requiring substantial wood support across an area that is just beyond that of any single Ceiling joist. That concern can be mitigated if access above is available to add in well secured support, or the room is new construction and the same effort be made during Framing.

I always use the Peerless ACC570 Round Ceiling Plate, because it offers a 8" diameter footprint, and the Hole Pattern is spread out further, distributing the side sheer force across a broader area. https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-ACC5.../dp/B000BITSTA
Get the White one and paint it the same color as the Ceiling....also...it cost less for some reason.

Thank you for pointing out my omission. 100% agree about the ceiling plate.

post #6 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice about the Chief RMPA281 mount and the Peerless ACC570 ceiling plate. A couple follow up questions:

Am I correct that the RMPA281 fits the JVC NX7 out of the box? Or do I need to purchase any other adapters, parts, etc to connect the RMPA281 to the NX7?

How do I decide how tall of a mount extension column to order along with the Chief mount? Are there advantages/disadvantages to using the 3inch fixed column that comes with the mount, compared to one of the longer fixed or adjustable columns that are options?

- My room is 16x19ft, with 8ft ceiling. Viewing distance will be approx 13ft from the screen. Still deciding exactly how high to mount the screen on the wall.

Hope these questions aren't too dumb. Trying to learn as much as I can to avoid as many mistakes as I can.

Thanks!
post #7 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 04:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

the rpma281 by itself will not include all the parts you need, best if you contact your projector vendor and order the entire kit, less the ceiling bracket if you want the Peerless.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the advice about the Chief RMPA281 mount and the Peerless ACC570 ceiling plate. A couple follow up questions:

Am I correct that the RMPA281 fits the JVC NX7 out of the box? Or do I need to purchase any other adapters, parts, etc to connect the RMPA281 to the NX7?

How do I decide how tall of a mount extension column to order along with the Chief mount? Are there advantages/disadvantages to using the 3inch fixed column that comes with the mount, compared to one of the longer fixed or adjustable columns that are options?

- My room is 16x19ft, with 8ft ceiling. Viewing distance will be approx 13ft from the screen. Still deciding exactly how high to mount the screen on the wall.

Hope these questions aren't too dumb. Trying to learn as much as I can to avoid as many mistakes as I can.

Thanks!
https://digitechcustom.net/choosing-...or-media-room/

Just some general guidelines about viewing angle and screen height. You have a decent enough height to your ceiling that you could still have the lens be six inches below your upper screen edge if not 8 inches. The lens being below the top screen edge means less vertical lens shift. The less lens shift means light is shooting through the sweeter part of the lens i.e. closer to the center of the lens .

post #9 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
https://digitechcustom.net/choosing-...or-media-room/

Just some general guidelines about viewing angle and screen height. You have a decent enough height to your ceiling that you could still have the lens be six inches below your upper screen edge if not 8 inches. The lens being below the top screen edge means less vertical lens shift. The less lens shift means light is shooting through the sweeter part of the lens i.e. closer to the center of the lens .

Thanks for that website, and the explanation on having less vertical lens shift if possible.

My screen (2.35:1) is going to be 115" wide, and 49" tall. I'm still working out where exactly to put my seating (just 1 row), but it'll be between 13-15 feet from the screen. So if I mount the screen roughly centered on the wall (about 24" from ceiling, and 24" from floor), that would put my viewing angle in that optimal 15-25 degree zone. So if I ordered the 24"-36" Adjustable Extension Column, that should enable me to put the lens 6-8" below the top edge of the screen. Do my rough calculations seem right? Is a 24-36" extension column stable enough?

Thanks for taking the time to help walk me through this. (math was never my strong suit!)
post #10 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that website, and the explanation on having less vertical lens shift if possible.

My screen (2.35:1) is going to be 115" wide, and 49" tall. I'm still working out where exactly to put my seating (just 1 row), but it'll be between 13-15 feet from the screen. So if I mount the screen roughly centered on the wall (about 24" from ceiling, and 24" from floor), that would put my viewing angle in that optimal 15-25 degree zone. So if I ordered the 24"-36" Adjustable Extension Column, that should enable me to put the lens 6-8" below the top edge of the screen. Do my rough calculations seem right? Is a 24-36" extension column stable enough?

Thanks for taking the time to help walk me through this. (math was never my strong suit!)
Honestly I would want the bottom of my projector at least 6 and 1/2 ft off the floor so most people are not bumping their head on the projector. Vertical lens shift really won't effect picture quality . Sorry if I made it seem like a bigger deal than it really is. Horizontal lens shift is the one you don't want to use very much if at all. Screen height sounds good. I would go with 12 inch extension to attach the projector.

post #11 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly I would want the bottom of my projector at least 6 and 1/2 ft off the floor so most people are not bumping their head on the projector. Vertical lens shift really won't effect picture quality . Sorry if I made it seem like a bigger deal than it really is. Horizontal lens shift is the one you don't want to use very much if at all. Screen height sounds good. I would go with 12 inch extension to attach the projector.

Gotcha! That definitely makes sense. Do you recommend the 12" fixed extension, or an adjustable extension to give myself a bit of flexibility to adjust during the actual install? Looks like they have adjustable extensions in 6-12" or 12-18". Is there any downside to the adjustable extensions (other than the increased cost)?

Thanks again for taking the time to help a noob!
post #12 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotcha! That definitely makes sense. Do you recommend the 12" fixed extension, or an adjustable extension to give myself a bit of flexibility to adjust during the actual install? Looks like they have adjustable extensions in 6-12" or 12-18". Is there any downside to the adjustable extensions (other than the increased cost)?

Thanks again for taking the time to help a noob!
I don't believe there is any downside to the adjustable extension . I don't think you would want to go lower but maybe higher, so maybe the 6-12 inch if you want the flexibility. The projector itself is 9.3 inches high and if your truly have an 8ft ceiling you want the ceiling plate, the extension , and the mount to be hang down roughly another 8.7 inches for a total of 18 inches from ceiling to bottom of projector. Honestly the six inch extension would probably do it because the ceiling plate is about 3/4 inch and the mount itself is about another 2 inches. I have a different projector but the same mount. You can see the dimensions.

post #13 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't believe there is any downside to the adjustable extension . I don't think you would want to go lower but maybe higher, so maybe the 6-12 inch if you want the flexibility. The projector itself is 9.3 inches high and if your truly have an 8ft ceiling you want the ceiling plate, the extension , and the mount to be hang down roughly another 8.7 inches for a total of 18 inches from ceiling to bottom of projector. Honestly the six inch extension would probably do it because the ceiling plate is about 3/4 inch and the mount itself is about another 2 inches. I have a different projector but the same mount. You can see the dimensions.

Thanks! That's perfect!
post #14 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! That's perfect!
You can also hide the power cord and HDMI cable in the column . I have a drop ceiling so I installed a thick wooden board between the ceiling joists and forgot to drill a hole in the board hence I never tucked the cords away.

post #15 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just a factoid, the down pipes for the Chief mounts use a standard pipe fitting thread size, Threaded black pipe off the shelf at Home Depot spray painted black works fine for the down pipe and is available in various sizes including custom in the pipe department.

post #16 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Just a factoid, the down pipe for the Chief mounts use a standard pipe fitting thread size, Threaded black pipe off the shelf at Home Depot spray painted black works fine for the down pipe and is available in various sizes including custom in the pipe department.

Thank you. Very true. That is what I used. Save money when you can.

post #17 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7439 Post(s)
Liked: 8994
Quote:
Thank you for pointing out my omission. 100% agree about the ceiling plate.

Chief makes lots of different ceiling plates. Just pick the one best suited for your particular situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent tips!!! I really appreciate it!

post #19 of 19 Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4006 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The OP should use the Chief RPA281 Elite and the Peerless ACC570 with a 3" x 1.5" NPT Threaded Nipple. That will put the bottom of the Projector approx 7' off the Floor.

The Projector has far and away enough lens Shift it absolutely does not need to have the Lens at the top of the Screen and certainly not within the Screen's parameter.

The entire assembly must be rock solid....you don't want to send a Boy to do a Man's job with a NX-series projector.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page