• 1 Post By Lop_posse
  • 2 Post By Lop_posse

post #1 of 3 Old 01-08-2020, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bear River Theater Build

Long time lurker here. This build is for my second theater. I did a budget theater in a previous house. I built my current house from scratch in 2018. There is a space above the garage that I am going to finish as a theater room. The room is upstairs off of the hallway with the 2 upstairs kids rooms. The room is approximately 19 feet by 16 feet. Part of the room has angled ceilings. The section of the currently planned riser is a full 8 feet tall. The screen wall has about ten feet of flat 8 foot ceiling, which then slopes down to 5 foot pony walls on the sides. There is a protrusion in the back of the room that shares a wall with a bedroom closet. I am attaching some renders and floor plan. The room is currently being used as attic storage and is being cleaned out. Once I get it cleaned out, I will get some pics.

Current Plans
-Two rows of three recliner seats. Back row on a 6.5 foot deet, 12 inch high riser.
-Fixed frame 16:9 screen about 120 inches diagonal.
-Use existing LCR's (Polk RTI's)
-Add surrounds(to be purchased) and maybe atmos (still deciding 7.2 vs 5.2)
-Use my two large subs (one 15" DIY, and one Klipsch 15")
-Use my existing Optoma Projector
-Place equipment in a recessed built in on left side of room.
-HVAC ducts are already ran, just need to be hooked up.

Still Debating or Questioning

Audio
I could be talked into an Acoustically Transparent screen wall. This would require me building new LCRs. Probably something like DIYSG HT12s. I could recess these about five inches in the wall, which would take away about a foot total room depth. This moves the front row to about 11 feet from 12. I am also considering a built in recess "box" for the 15" sub to be on the front right pony wall. Not sure if that will cause problems. DIY sub is large, 2'x2' with passive radiators and a granite top. I was planning on placing it to the left of the front row and using it as a side table.

Soundproofing
Not sure if budget and space can accommodate a full soundproof plan. I am not sure if it is worth doing double dry wall with green glue on the shared walls with the living space(back wall and side with closet). The rest of the space is isolated over the garage. We rarely open the garage door. I am also considering adding green glue and a layer of MDF to the door along with sealing the casing. I am not sure if doing that little bit will make enough of a difference to be worth it.

Columns
I am not sure if I can pull off the traditional surround columns with my pony wall issue. I am open to suggestions. I can do in walls instead. I also am considering something like the Polk OWM 3s as on walls. I could also just bracket mount some small bookshelf speakers.

Stage/front wall
Current plans are for a simple frame mounted to the wall. I could expand to include columns and and a small cosmetic stage and black fabric around the screen. Once again I may have to get creative because of my pony walls.

I will be adding actual photos as I get closer. I plan on starting blocking for drywall soon. My electrician(my dad) is moving soon and I want his help with running the rough in and circuits before he leaves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor plan.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2666834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch up.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	2666836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch up 2.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2666838  
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by Lop_posse; 01-08-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-08-2020, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I found a photo of the house while it was being built. The theater will be the space above the garage. The windows would be covered permanently by the screen/screen wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180612_171818.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2666842  
Tedd and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by Lop_posse; 01-08-2020 at 08:56 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page