Soundproofing products - Sonopan + Reflexor - anyone ever heard of this? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soundproofing products - Sonopan + Reflexor - anyone ever heard of this?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but lurked for a few months before posting anything.

Context
I'm in the process of soundproofing a room and researching my soundproofing options. My goal is to limit footfall noise from above, and voices (airborne sound).

So far, I've read through articles by Ted White, numerous posts by BigMouth in this forum, and articles from the soundproofing company and so forth.

From what I gather, the 4 basic principles of soundproofing are key (mass, decoupling, absorption, damping). Along with Flanking noise.

I'm leaning towards building the ceiling assembly from The Soundproofing company (can't post the URL because i'm under 5 posts).

During my research process, I stumbled on these products from a Canadian company called MSL fibre. Two products stand out to me, but the claims are unsubstantiated by any real reviews except a few posts on instagram, and limited forum posts.

My question are the Sonopan and Reflexor products (which i'm still a bit skeptical of, but curious).

Sonopan is essentially a fibreboard that's supposed to have an STC of 27.
Reflexor is supposed to be a greenglue replacement.

Questions:
Does anyone have any experience with the Sonopan and Reflexor products?

Should I just "play it safe" and build the assemblies shown on The SoundProofing company's website?

More context:

The Room is about to be gutted, so I'm starting from scratch. Budget isn't a factor. I just want the job done right. The sonopan+reflexor assemblies claim an ASTC of up to 61, but it sounds too good to be true.

Really appreciate anyone's comment and feedback before I start ripping the walls out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm also in the process of building a theater. I ended up using sonopan on the ceiling and Interior partition walls. It is easy to work with but you need to remember to bring your electrical boxes etc out the extra 3/4" from the wall. I also didnt use the reflector. It definitely made the room quieter but I have not tried any low frequency testing.
I did everything myself but it has been time consuming and somewhat frustrating as I've never done this before and there is so many things to know. So I'm not sure what to expect once my room is done.
I would reccomend getting some professional help.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin L View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but lurked for a few months before posting anything.
My question are the Sonopan and Reflexor products (which i'm still a bit skeptical of, but curious).

Sonopan is essentially a fibreboard that's supposed to have an STC of 27.
Reflexor is supposed to be a greenglue replacement.

Questions:
Does anyone have any experience with the Sonopan and Reflexor products?

Should I just "play it safe" and build the assemblies shown on The SoundProofing company's website?
I don't have any experience with these products but I recently looked up Sonopan and studied their website. Based on the dearth of hard information and the relatively low density of the Sonopan product, I would not consider it for a dedicated theater build. The solutions on the SoundProofing company's website have been independently tested and have been used with good success by numerous builders. Acoustics and sound isolation are very difficult topics best left to the experts if you want good results. You don't want your theater to be the test lab that disproves the sound isolation properties of these products.

Likewise with Reflexor - One of our members tried a Green Glue alternative and after installation most of it leaked out of the wall and onto the floor! That's not to say that Reflexor won't work, but do you really want to be a guinea pig trying to save a few hundred bucks that might cost you many times that when you have to redo everything with the proven products?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff01 View Post
I'm also in the process of building a theater. I ended up using sonopan on the ceiling and Interior partition walls. It is easy to work with but you need to remember to bring your electrical boxes etc out the extra 3/4" from the wall. I also didnt use the reflector. It definitely made the room quieter but I have not tried any low frequency testing.
I did everything myself but it has been time consuming and somewhat frustrating as I've never done this before and there is so many things to know. So I'm not sure what to expect once my room is done.
I would reccomend getting some professional help.
It'll be interesting to see how your theatre performs. Did you use double drywall with greenglue in between?

Sonopan is known to have the "Box" test, where they put a loudspeaker inside a box lined with Sonopan, and the music is inaudible inside the sonopan box. You can youtube this demo. I think Roxul had a similar set up to prove that Safe and Sound blocks sound.

Any idea if these demo's actually reflect real life theatre performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page