Best Cooling System for a Tight Cabinet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken Masters
  • 2 Post By justonwo

post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Best Cooling System for a Tight Cabinet

I'm putting an Arcam AVR30 and an Ayre AX-5 Twenty in the same AV cabinet, along with a Blu-ray player, Roon Nucleus, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

I've only got about 3" above the two amps, which isn't going to cut it for cooling in a closed cabinet. I'm using a Salamander cabinet and can remove the back panels, if needed. What are the best and quietest cooling solutions out there? I'm thinking something with a thermostat would be desirable so the fan is only engaged when necessary. I believe Salamander makes some units that are specific to their cabinets, but it doesn't seem like you can really target the airflow the way you would need to.

I've seen some units that actually sit on the top of the amp that look compelling, but of course noise is paramount in the setup (or lack thereof). Anyone with advice out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 92
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I'm putting an Arcam AVR30 and an Ayre AX-5 Twenty in the same AV cabinet, along with a Blu-ray player, Roon Nucleus, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

I've only got about 3" above the two amps, which isn't going to cut it for cooling in a closed cabinet. I'm using a Salamander cabinet and can remove the back panels, if needed. What are the best and quietest cooling solutions out there? I'm thinking something with a thermostat would be desirable so the fan is only engaged when necessary. I believe Salamander makes some units that are specific to their cabinets, but it doesn't seem like you can really target the airflow the way you would need to.

I've seen some units that actually sit on the top of the amp that look compelling, but of course noise is paramount in the setup (or lack thereof). Anyone with advice out there?
+2 for AC infinity. Can't beat the price and build quality. Awesome stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrimel View Post
+3 for AirCom infinity fans

https://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-...QaAp1OEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 107
If it’s a closed cabinet I’ve always been told not to worry about a push pull setup, It is more beneficial to put two fans pushing or pulling.

Explained like this.... If you were to add up the CFM’s of say two fans you will get a high number (x2, x3 and so on for more fans).
If you place one fan behind another fan there is no increase in CFM’s.
This works on many levels, I use this method for my whole house AC in the summer (when I refuse to run the AC), just put two fans on the west side of the house in two windows blowing East out two open empty windows.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Quote:
+3 for AirCom infinity fans

https://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-...QaAp1OEALw_wcB

Thanks all. I was looking at those last night. How often do you guys find the fans are actually running? I assume the noise must be trivial if none of you even mentioned it.

5.1: Sony XBR-65A9G 65" | Arcam AVR30 | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | TV 4K | Xbox One | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers | Paradigm Persona C Center | Paradigm Persona B Surrounds | BW DB4S
2.0: Roon Nucleus | Ayre QX-5 Twenty | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Thanks all. I was looking at those last night. How often do you guys find the fans are actually running? I assume the noise must be trivial if none of you even mentioned it.
I use an Aircom on top of my Denon X4400H running a 7.4.4 setup. Whisper quiet. They have front, rear and top exhaust styles. Programmable thermostats, or not. When I got mine it was factory set at 85degrees. I just left it there. Kicks on every few minutes if running all at high volume. The Denon now never even gets warm. Love it.
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-T...8758538&sr=8-5
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 937
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
I listen on my Denon 6500 at -17 so my receiver gets pretty hot. My AV cabinet has an opening at the top to let hot air out and an opening at the bottom/back right near the back of my receiver for cool air. My AirCom T10 sits right on top of my receiver. The front of my cabinet is glass doors completely enclosed. I only hear the fan if I try to listen for it in quiet scenes in movies. My projector fan noise is definitely more noticeable . YMMV. My AV cabinet is located in the back of my theater about 12 ft from MLP. The AirCom T10 is about the quieter than my Panasonic ub820 bluray player when I insert a disc. When watching action movies with high dynamics the fan runs most of the the movie. I can't say I ever notice it.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered the Aircom for the top of my Arcam. I'll see how it works and then get one for the Ayre if all is good. I like the very low profile.
skylarlove1999 and MRAYB like this.

5.1: Sony XBR-65A9G 65" | Arcam AVR30 | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | TV 4K | Xbox One | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers | Paradigm Persona C Center | Paradigm Persona B Surrounds | BW DB4S
2.0: Roon Nucleus | Ayre QX-5 Twenty | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page