Atmos Mixing Studio/Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By thebland
  • 1 Post By CCRoyalSenders

post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Atmos Mixing Studio/Home Theater

I've debated posting here for a few weeks as I've worked on this design. Longtime lurker, so I know how wonderful and helpful this community is, but I also know from experience how invested in following a build we all get, and I don't want to be the tease that drop plans and then disappears for what could be a year+!

I am in the very early stages of planning a full house build for my wife and my next home and, because how could I not, my first efforts have been to plan my workspace in as much detail as possible. After the initial construction, all the finishing work for the studio will be done DIY.

I'm in the music/video industry and currently have a great studio that I use for work when I'm not on the road in a large extra bedroom. We also have an adequate but undersized media room for family/party film viewing. The plan for this new home is to combine the two rooms, since I will have the opportunity to custom build exactly what I need for both music and film work instead of making the best of an existing room. So much of our family and friend time is spent either watching films in the media room or in my current studio listening to/making music anyway, so combining them is a no brainer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance (1)_1578755759656.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	2668114

Name:	Entrance Spkrs Expsd_1578755772846.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	2668116

Name:	Full Front (1)_1578755782005.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	2668118

Name:	Cinema (1)_1578755807534.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	2668122

Because the studio theater will be located in the basement, several more general considerations about the home itself depend on how the space is constructed. At least, that's what I've told myself to justify concentrating on this now instead of slogging through more of the more mundane early stages of lot permitting, etc. 😅

As this is a workspace, budget is of a bit less concern than it would be for a "pure luxury" build, but also, well, money doesn't grow on trees and babies are expert disappearers of excess cash. Thankfully, much of the gear has been/will be acquired B2B within the industry, so my main budget concerns are construction-related.

Several questions for the experts here that are more outside my area of expertise on which I would value opinions... My thanks in advance!

1) External foundation and internal surrounding studio and airlock walls will be 8" poured concrete with all high and low voltage wiring runs pre-located and cast in conduit. Inside the studio will be an airgapped, insulated, 5/8" and GG standard structure with acoustic fabric track panels covering appropriate diffusion/absorbtion treatments.

My question for those with existing basement builds: how happy have you been with the noise reduction of standard truss/joist ceiling structures combined with insulation/channel clips/2x5/8"/GG construction. As the studio will be located underneath either the master suite or main kitchen/DR/LR wings of the house, my tolerance for transfer in either direction is essentially zero. The width of the room mandates a 12" OC truss structure, which I can't imagine is all that much less $$ than simply pouring a decking slab above this room. I could be wrong. I'd then do a standard suspended 5/8" ceiling from the slab to kill impact noise and finish the room with 5/8" and appropriate cloud diff/abs.

So how has your transfer (low end, mainly) been with standard wood framing and abatement methods?

2) The slab floor will be of course be a standard pour with all low and high voltage all high and low voltage wiring runs pre-located and cast in conduit.

My question is, should I go ahead and pour the two risers as concrete along with the rest of the slab? Seems an easy enough way to save time and steps since they'll be pouring anyway. Or will I be cheating my room out of sub performance by not building the risers with conventional framing? Again, I'm assuming the cubic concrete cost and labor/material cost of conventionally framing the risers will be a wash, so it comes down to performance. But of course I could be wrong re: cost parity.

3) Despite my intense love of the 2.35:1, I've decided at this stage to go with a 160" 16:9 AT screen with masking so that I can enjoy mixed aspect (namely Nolan films, which are very popular in our house) at a fixed width.
My calculations tell me the JVC NX5 will deliver sufficient fL for HDR even at this size screen from a distance of 19', but please weigh in if this isn't correct. Ambient light is not a concern.

The wealth of expertise and knowledge in this forum is a true gift. Please do weigh in if anything about my renderings or plan strikes you as off!

Cooper

Name:	Mixing Chair (1)_1578755816988.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	2668124

Name:	Studio Corner (1)_1578755819943.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	2668126

Name:	Studio Couch_1578755838479.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	2668128

Name:	Plan_1578755843709.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	2668130

GEAR

As of now, the plan is active studio monitors all around to maximize existing gear. Us in the pro-audio world love our powered speakers, so I know this list will ruffle some feathers 😅
Music-related gear will mainly live in the mixing desk racks, along with a few components living in the machine room with the main server rack. Theater-related gear listed below:

-9.2.4 Dolby Atmos (plan shows .6 but current pre-pro only supports .4 and I see no reason to buy another)
-3x Genelec 1234AC Mains
-10x Genelec S360 Surrounds & Overheads
-1 or 2x Genelec 7382A Sub, room calcs depending
- 2x Genelec 8361A at mixing desk

-JVC NX5
-160" Seymour AT Screen

-Marantz AV8805
-Custom built studio PC with RAID will run HT PC/Plex Library
-Roku Elite for streaming
-XBOX One S for Blu-Ray

Last edited by CCRoyalSenders; 01-14-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRoyalSenders View Post
2) The slab floor will be of course be a standard pour with all low and high voltage all high and low voltage wiring runs pre-located and cast in conduit.

My question is, should I go ahead and pour the two risers as concrete along with the rest of the slab? Seems an easy enough way to save time and steps since they'll be pouring anyway. Or will I be cheating my room out of sub performance by not building the risers with conventional framing? Again, I'm assuming the cubic concrete cost and labor/material cost of conventionally framing the risers will be a wash, so it comes down to performance. But of course I could be wrong re: cost parity.
Very nice renders — looks like it will be a wonderful multi-function space!

You might consider framing out the risers instead of a pour which would give you the opportunity to use that volume for bass trapping and also for subwoofers.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Very nice renders — looks like it will be a wonderful multi-function space!

You might consider framing out the risers instead of a pour which would give you the opportunity to use that volume for bass trapping and also for subwoofers.
I'll have significant bass trapping in the front of the room. Don't want to kill it too much, but with a full concrete room, you may very well be on the money, here. Would be a shame to pour and find out I can't tame the bass without losing room in the back for the bookshelves/etc to more corner traps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Why such a shallow height in the basement (8’)? If you want to isolate the sound from the rest of the house and have better implementation of heights, a taller ceiling goes a long way.

I just built a new basement theater and we dug down the basement 12’ so as to have actual ceiling Heights of ~ 10’ to 11’ on a slopes ceiling. That’s pretty high. Not only is the ceiling stepped but the side walls a not parallel. Another consideration to deal with standing waves. If a new build, is pretty simple to have excavator dig down the basement a few more feet and what a benefit!
audiovideoholic likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Why such a shallow height in the basement (8’)? If you want to isolate the sound from the rest of the house and have better implementation of heights, a taller ceiling goes a long way.

I just built a new basement theater and we dug down the basement 12’ so as to have actual ceiling Heights of ~ 10’ to 11’ on a slopes ceiling. That’s pretty high. Not only is the ceiling stepped but the side walls a not parallel. Another consideration to deal with standing waves. If a new build, is pretty simple to have excavator dig down the basement a few more feet and what a benefit!
Oh no doubt! The current plan calls for a 12' ceiling across which will give a 9' ceiling at the back mixing positions with the 24" riser. (The 8" refers to the 8" thickness of the poured walls.)

I should have added my room dimensions for those who didn't want to click through to the plan (and I can't stand how Chief Architect puts all dimensions in inches, though perhaps that's a setting I've missed!)

Rooms dims as planned are 26' x 31 'x 12'.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plan.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	2669050  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2020, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 701
This looks like it's going to be a really impressive project. I like how you've managed to combine two uses into one space, but without too much compromise (at least it seems that way). I'll be watching this one.

"You can never have too many clamps."
My DIYSG HTM-12 build
My dual sealed UXL-18 build
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2020, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
This looks like it's going to be a really impressive project. I like how you've managed to combine two uses into one space, but without too much compromise (at least it seems that way). I'll be watching this one.
Hopefully with zero compromise! The Genelec SAM processing on their speakers means I'll shoot two different scenes with the reference mic, one for the mixing desk, and one for the couch. In theory I'll have perfect 5.1 mixing from the desk and be close enough with Atmos from there to be able to simply transfer to the couch to make notes. Also considering a small display or console for the couch with wireless keyboard and mouse to mix Atmos from that reference point. Tbh, I haven't had the need professionally to mix anything in Atmos, but I'm looking forward to exploring it and will certainly be glad for it to enjoy in my free time!!
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-14-2020, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

I've been struggling to come up with a solution for the back surrounds other than hanging them from the ceiling, which obviously is not ideal. I can't really have them on stands where they need to be, as the mixing desk will be in the way.

This seems to be the easiest solution as of now, but it won't get them as low within the room as they should be. I'm considered DIYing some kind of extended range retractable/telescoping ceiling mount so I can lower them into a better position for cinema viewing.

Any ideas?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I remember seeing someone here who had an open wall in their room, and figured out how to make the surround speaker in that location automatically drop down with some kind of linear actuator.

This isn't the one I had in mind, but it is a pretty clean solution! https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...waf-100-a.html

"You can never have too many clamps."
My DIYSG HTM-12 build
My dual sealed UXL-18 build
post #10 of 11 Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
I remember seeing someone here who had an open wall in their room, and figured out how to make the surround speaker in that location automatically drop down with some kind of linear actuator.

This isn't the one I had in mind, but it is a pretty clean solution! https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...waf-100-a.html
This is one beautiful solution, no doubt! I'm thinking a swing up solution might suffice in my case.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to bump, but any thoughts on ceiling and projector choice, here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page