Selling house with dedicated theater? Experiences with that as a selller? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-14-2020, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Selling house with dedicated theater? Experiences with that as a selller?

My wife and I are contemplating selling our home. We have an option to sell and move into a house that would cost us little to nothing to live in and the equity we have in our home would be great to recover, especially in the economy we're in. However, while I love the idea of making some money on the sale, one big thing I am struggling to think about is saying goodbye to my theater. That said, the house we'd move into has a finished basement and I know I could make it into a great media space.

That got me thinking about how to manage selling my house with the theater and gear. Would I sell my equipment with the house (above the price of the house itself) or take it all with me? Would the theater be a value added for a lot of buyers? So I'm just curious the experiences some of you have had when selling a home with a theater in it. Did you find the theater to be a great selling point and that buyers were willing to pay a bit more for your house because of it? How did you handle the equipment, seating, etc in your theater when selling your homes? Any other things to think about?

Any experiences shared would be great! Thanks.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 01-14-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-14-2020, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
My wife and I are contemplating selling our home. We have an option to sell and move into a house that would cost us nothing to live in and the equity we have in our home would be great to recover, especially in the economy we're in. However, while I love the idea of no more mortgage and making some money on the sale, one big thing I am struggling to think about is saying goodbye to my theater. That said, the house we'd move into has a finished basement and I know I could make it into a great media space.

That got me thinking about how to manage selling my house with the theater and gear. Would I sell my equipment with the house (above the price of the house itself) or take it all with me? Would the theater be a value added for a lot of buyers? So I'm just curious the experiences some of you have had when selling a home with a theater in it. Did you find the theater to be a great selling point and that buyers were willing to pay a bit more for your house because of it? How did you handle the equipment, seating, etc in your theater when selling your homes? Any other things to think about?

Just like a fireplace, pool, wine cellar or any feature of a home whether it is a plus or a minus depends on who much the person considering buying the home values that feature. Same with your gear. Some people might love plug and play of not having to buy gear. Others may want to create their own space from scratch. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 Old 01-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 275
My receptionist sells homes on the side and she just sold two homes with theaters and they were fully finished with all equipment and seating. I asked her if you could sell it as a blank slate and she said absolutely not..

I'm about to sell my house as well and I'm going to buy cheaper gear to outfit my room and leave my seating there.. I'll keep my higher end stuff for my new space since...
pjp, Lynkage and BiggAW like this.

Last edited by PreciseD; 01-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 01-14-2020, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Spartan here!

When we sold our home with our reference theater 3 years ago, I threw in the screen, 12 chairs and Sim2 projector in the price of the house (that gear was worth ~$30K - 7 year old projector but super nice Stewart Vista-Scope masking screen (14’ wide), anamorphic lens thrown in as well... . I presented my theater as a theater that no private AV company in the area could ever recreate (which is true). The local companies are just not that sophisticated. . I recommended the buyer purchase all my gear from me, as it would never sound better if a private AV company tried to recreate the magic with new gear... and I told the buyer, “you’ll never look back”.

As far as the remaining equipment not included in the listing price of the home that I was to sell: the Trinnov Altitude ($25K), 20 channels of speakers and amplification ($40K), Subwoofers ($7K) and other added source equipment, QSC Q-SYS DSP, etc all at an additional cost. I wanted to only sell as a system. I was not going to throw all the aforementioned gear that into the purchase price of the home.

You gotta have the right buyer though... I Demo’d the buyer some big scenes right after closing on the sale just before we started to pack up. He’d already seen a couple demos shown by the realtor and couldn’t decide whether to buy it all from me or have a local dealer install new equipment. . But after the bombastic Everest demo I played him, he simply said, ‘I’ll take it’. I did allow realtors to run demo clips while showing the house . Most prospective buyers really liked the theater. It was an asset.

The buyer simply wrote a check to me out of his personal checking account after the last demo. I wanted a separate check not associated with the home selling price so as to avoid taxes and avoiding more profit to the realtors. I set him up with my calibrator to do a new remote for him and introduce himself as the guy who will maintain the system. If something goes down, the calibrator will handle (he wanted Crestron like candy bar remote rather than a touch screen). This type of service was new to him but was ok with it as long as fixes, if needed, were handled start to finish.

I sold everything to the buyer for MSRP as the labor, time and effort into creating my theater and calibrations were difficult to charge for. Pretty much got back all I put into it - but everything was less than 2 years old and much under warranty. Easy-peasy.

Otherwise, remove all the gear and replace it with cheap stuff.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-14-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Agreed. Sell the fully furnished theater as a separate cost item, or replace the expensive gear with some Best Buy equipment.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-14-2020, 08:28 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4030 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Man....doesn't anyone know about using something desired as a Closing Tool?

So OK...a Theater that was a $50K investment should stand on it's own merits. Willingness to Demo to an interested Buyer (ie: didn't run screaming the other direction...) should be all it takes. As for what to ask? Price = Leverage, and it can work either way. If you overspent...don't take it out on JohnQ. Show him the way to justify the Theater by showing him some sort of deal.
(.........unless the Home is a $10 Mil sprawl-er, then Tap his Wallet! )

Theaters between $7500 to 20K should simply be included in the asking price...and plainly stated as being included. Just ask enough. Then Demo! Make 'em glad it's there.

Tip:
If the Woman involved rolls her eyes when she walks into "any" Theater and say "Baby Johnny needs a Playroom....", it's not gonna happen..

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6204 Post(s)
Liked: 5892
Luv2Fly: I took a look at your space, nice, looks professional and will not detract from the sale, IMHO will be additive.

When I look at the equipment list:

Front R,C,L – 1099s DIYSG (Originally were HTM-12s)
Surround R&L – 4x Volt 6 Coaxial DIYSG
Rear R&L – 2x Volt 6 Coaxial DIYSG
Atmos – 4x Volt 6 Coaxial DIYSG
Front Subs – 4x Cyclops 18 Subs (2x Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" drivers, 2x Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" drivers) all powered by an HDC10000Q 4/ch amp
Rear Subs – 2x Custom Subs (2x Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" drivers) powered by a Behringer iNuke NU6000DSP amp

I have DIY speakers and when I sell I'm planning on pulling out some old stuff in the closet rather than part with some of my stuff. There are very few buyers who would appreciate a room with 6 massive subs, You may want to remove at least 4 from the equation, get them out of sight an don't include in the demo. Bottom line you may want to strip down the system, rather than expect someone to put a value on a system as robust as yours.
SuperFist, PreciseD and htpc-geek like this.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
when I last looked at buying my current home I saw a few theaters and wanted nothing to do with them as they were not my taste and not overly nice/impressive. ofc I was looking at homes under 500k.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #9 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My realtor asked me, what is your actual desire? Do you want to upgrade and build a new theatre in the new home or wish not to part with the equipment?

If you want the equipment, dont include it or buy cheaper units and swap out. Set a price or negotiate outside the house sale.

I left all the equipment and actually ran movies during the open houses.

On the other hand i had an in-ground lift in the garage that i wanted to keep and did not include in the sale. If they wanted it, it would be extra and i had to put that in the listing as normally all fixtures are assumed to be included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Face it front projection home theaters are not what 99% of John Q Public is looking for in buying a new home. It is even a niche here at AVS and the upper tier is a niche within a niche.

I had a friend that tried to sell his home for a year and the biggest negative he had going here in our northern climate was a beautiful in ground pool. He filled it in and planted sod and it sold in a week.

Around here most under 50 are more enamored with the thoughts of a 80” plus flat panel in a well lit living room. I was at a home show in Cleveland last year where they had a row of new homes built inside the IX center and one had a living room with an 85” TV just packed with people that wouldn’t move on. Just around the corner in the same house was a FP home theater with some very nice equipment set up and it was hardly getting looked at.

As much as I love FP HT if I sold I would likely pack it all up and repaint the room and call it a den, or if I really wanted to start new I would just write off the cost and leave it. Some people will look at the room as a negative and see it as a project to convert it into a room they can use.

Bud
post #11 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 11:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6204 Post(s)
Liked: 5892
I can tell you that in Fairfax and Loudoun counties (VA) that have a preponderance of high income households with high tech jobs, buyers crave dedicated home theaters. If you are selling a home with a professionally looking room it will be the tipping point for the husband. Picking your house over another. Now will they be willing to write a check for the equipment is another story.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It’s all about location and size. I assume that if the house has a dedicated theater we are not talking about a small 2 bedroom apartment. So the people looking at your house are looking at big houses hence have more income. So the a home theater can be a nice incentive

post #13 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Yeah, if the home is 4000+ sq feet with 4 or 5+ bedrooms, a dedicated theater is a hot feature to have. My house isn’t for sale, but the realtor I bought the house with is chomping at the bit to sell it since I finished the basement with a theater, and mine is far from fancy.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Having a theater, you are appealing to a specific buyer. As a buyer, I would want it fully furnishes and with decent electronics.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I appreciate all of the insight guys. That's exactly the perspectives and experiential knowledge I was looking for. Our house is definitely a moderate, but nice home in a good school district and in a market where homes like ours are selling pretty quickly. But whether this particular market will produce a buyer that is interested in something like a theater will have to be discovered if we do indeed sell. I talked with a real-estate agent today, who is also a good friend, and he felt it would be a good selling point. He's coming out in a few weeks to look at our house and give us a better idea of what our home would sell for all things considered, so we'll see. It's a lot to think about when you're not in a situation of having to move, which I'm grateful for. So we'll see.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #16 of 31 Old 01-15-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 789
It is appealing if there is a separate family room, or if it can easily serve as one.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Did you find the theater to be a great selling point and that buyers were willing to pay a bit more for your house because of it? How did you handle the equipment, seating, etc in your theater when selling your homes? Any other things to think about?

Great question <3 2 Fly.

I think the HT-Room COULD & SHOULD be used to SEAL THE DEAL...to somebody that's interested in buying your property.

Firstly I'd include EVERYTHING inside the HT-room, in the SALE price. Remove any AMPS & SPEAKERS you may want to keep firstly.

Then when somebody is interested, use the HT-room as a tool to "Seal-the-Deal".

For example sale price $500,000..... Buyer offers - $480,000. Agent count offer - If you paid $500,000, everything in the Theatre Room including the seats, projector & sound -system valued at $ ?????? STAYS. otherwise for $480,000 & those items will be removed by the owner.

That's exactly what I'd tell the agent, but only to Seal The Deal.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 648
We sold our house last year with a pretty amazing theater. It was the White Oaks Cinema build that Jeff came and helped with. I am a real estate agent so I got to hear all of the feedback.

Initially I thought it would really be a huge selling point. I had about $90,000 in it and knew I would not get 100% of that back but thought it would for sure help sell the house. It actually turned out to be the opposite in my case. 80% of the feedback I got from buyers and other agents were it was intimidating and the buyers thought it was neat but did not feel like they could use it properly and had no idea what all went into it. I knew I would get that from some people but was surprised I did not get at least 1 person come through on the 15 or so showings that really knew what I had and could appreciate all that went into it.

In the end we sold the house to a nice family that isn't big techie, theater people but their kids use the room for video games and an occasional movie night. I have been over there a lot of times since the sale to help with technical issues.

We just moved into our new house that we built and will be doing pretty much the same type of theater in this one. This IS GOING TO BE OUR FOREVER HOUSE. lol
post #19 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 644
You could make "everything goes" (fully furnished/electronics/speakers) contingent on a full or near full offer of your selling price.

Also don't be surprised when a potential buyer says they don't need the theater and will have to rip it all out and re purpose the room and expect you to reduce price accordingly. Chances are they are trying to low ball you.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #20 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 AM

I think to better sell a theater as an asset in a house for sale:

It shouldn’t be worth more than 5% - 10% the price of the house. Other wise, it an ‘investment’ in the unknown for the prospective buyer

It doesn’t take up another important, common space. For example, it can’t be that you give up a family room or 1/2 of the basement Space for for it.

It should be easy to use and gear / speakers as hidden and as discrete as possible.

It’s gotta be a nice to have, not a major decision on a home they may already be fond of...

Just my opinion.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #21 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 674
A theater is a lot like having a pool. It probably deters more buyers than it attracts. I put a pool and a putting green in our last house. When I sold it, I recovered little if anything of the investment and the house took longer than expected to sell. But, I enjoyed them when I had them and you should look at it in the same way. You could probably remodel the room into a bonus room, keep your equipment, and not get any less for the house. And, you may appeal to more buyers.
rboster likes this.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I think to better sell a theater as an asset in a house for sale:

It shouldn’t be worth more than 5% - 10% the price of the house. Other wise, it an ‘investment’ in the unknown for the prospective buyer

It doesn’t take up another important, common space. For example, it can’t be that you give up a family room or 1/2 of the basement Space for for it.

It should be easy to use and gear / speakers as hidden and as discrete as possible.

It’s gotta be a nice to have, not a major decision on a home they may already be fond of...

Just my opinion.
I think this is right on

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #23 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Just post a sign the "Speakers and rack equipment not included. Seller suggestions available for replacement equipment." That leaves the buyer to engage as much money as they deem the space is worth to them.

We left our shared space turned on when our house was being shown. During the second showing, I took apart the stage for them to see the theatre could be removed if desired. Last I knew they had purchased better chairs than we had, speakers, a receiver, and were enjoying the space.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
post #24 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agree if the theater could serve as a game/play room and it’s not all painted black. It can be more appealing to more people

post #25 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
My theater was a key part of selling my last home. I listed the home 10% Higher than any property in my neighborhood had ever sold for, and a little higher percentage over existing comps from the last few months, and sold the home in 3 hours to the first person who looked at it for the full price plus the price of the theater equipment and furniture. He wanted it all.

The theater equipment was NOT part of the house sale, and when I offered to sell it to them the bank required it be on a separate sale item with a bill of sale and to be paid from his personal account (not part of the mortgage).

I negotiated this separate deal with the buyers to buy equipment to make a functional theater for $6500. I had around $10k in the equipment, but I planned to keep the pre/pro and the main amplifier as well as my FireTV and NAS drive that I stored my media on. I also kept other network equipment, leaving the wiring in place for them to provide their own IoT devices and network devices. I replaced the Emotiva Pre/pro with a Denon receiver, and left him a blu ray player as a source. All in, the equipment list had a reasonable used value of about $7000 so it was a fair deal. He kept the furniture (a couch and loveseat and a couple end tables I built specific for the room), the speakers and subs that were custom built, and all my custom built acoustic treatments. I detailed it all out on a bill of sale and he cut me a separate check for it. We even had to have wording in the house sale contract that the furniture and equipment were not part of the home sale.

The value of what he bought "extra" was more than 5% of the asking price for the house.

I wouldn't expect to give equipment with a home sale unless it is negotiated, but the room is part of the house. However, without equipment, the room makes no sense, and few home buyers will be willing to invest in all new equipment unless they are a hobbyist. So at the very least, get some cheap equipment to put in the room and make it functional, and include it in the cost of the home if they are unwilling to pay extra for the good stuff.

When I built my theater, I left conduit so I could run alternate wiring, and added outlets for powered subs, just in case I sold the house and wanted to put a basic sound system in place as opposed to the rack based amplifiers I have now. Everything is covered so there would never be holes to fill with small speakers or small subs, so it will still look good.
pkinneb likes this.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
I think this is right on
Moreover, my theater was on true main floor as a separate addition not cutting into any older living space or family room. And basement not involved.

The buyer paid me cash to about 5% of the home price for the equipment. . So, it wasn’t a big shake percentage wise even though dollars wise, it was a significant check. In fact, he paid cash for the house too.

post #27 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Quote:
My wife and I are contemplating selling our home. We have an option to sell and move into a house that would cost us little to nothing to live in and the equity we have in our home would be great to recover, especially in the economy we're in. However, while I love the idea of making some money on the sale, one big thing I am struggling to think about is saying goodbye to my theater. That said, the house we'd move into has a finished basement and I know I could make it into a great media space.

We sold our house this summer WITH it's home theater. To say, you can gauge our experience as relative to what you'll experience is a misnomer. My example as well as anyone else's is anecdotal. With that being said, let me tell you what we encountered:

We are in Kansas City in a well established older neighnorhood among more expensive houses than ours. Our house was built in 1925 and had all the original molding and woodwork in the home. Without boring you with the details, I'll focus on the HT. The house was owned by one family since 1925, before we bought it in 2001. The daughter of the original owner became too old to climb the stairs, so they built out the garage to a bedroom (with adjoining full bath). They built a new garage in it's place (which looked like the previous garage). We did take out the two windows (left the framing) and sheetrocked over the windows for light control and better acoustics.

So the previous bedroom (back of the house) became our HT. The walk-in closet became the equipment closet and media storage area. We had two rows with a platform for the second row. The equipment with current with JVC projector, Tannoy speakers (11 Atmos speaker set up), JTR subwoofer, stewart screen, NAD receiver with Driac and acoustically treated room. This was not a professionally designed and built-out room from Quest Acoustics...but we didn't own a 7 figure home either. It was a decent mid-level set up, certainly pleased all those who entered.

Here's the rub, MOST ppl do not want a home theater. We suspected this might be the case, so we had a re-modeler come out and create a quote/bid to change the room "back into a bedroom/family room" so prospective buyers would know the cost. We also priced out the equipment as an optional package to purchase in addition to the price of the house. The price was fair, but not deep discounted selling to the AVS market. I had spent a lot of time, sweat and research to put it all together etc....but it was "used" pricing.

I would say, of all the ppl that looked at the house, there were about 10% that were interested in having a home theater. Much like a swimming pool, most like the idea of "visiting" someone with a pool, but not actually owning one ...due to cost, maintenance and real estate (rather have a backyard)...in this case, rather have a 4th bedroom or a family room (vs the living room or partially basement).

We did find a buyer that after the initial talks decided they "wanted the home theater" and to include the equipment...long story short, we did not discount the cost of the equipment package. Here's a lesson ....if you are going to sell the equipment do it as a personal rider to the sale...meaning the sale of the equipment is direct purchase with the buyer and seller...leave the agents out of it. I didn't think of that and we ended up paying both agents their commission on the equipment sale as well.....DUMB mistake on my part...lesson learned. The agents added absolutely no value to the sale of the equipment.

My experience is my experience and will provide very little value to you and your sale. But, I posted this as an example of home with an HT sale.

Last edited by rboster; 01-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
post #28 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been reconsidering my first reply and did some google searching on homes with home theaters and I’m coming to the conclusion this is really driven by both the price point of the home and also the location. My searches showed many million dollar plus homes some up to 30 million all boasting all kinds of specialty amenities pools, spas. greenhouse, billiard room, bowling alley, tennis courts, specialty garages, stables, etc, etc and of course home theaters. Big cities and the west coast of the USA seemed to label any or all these things as desirable.

When I looked in the heartland and sub million dollar places they didn’t pop up as often and once I got out of the stratosphere in pricing it seemed there was little out there in the real world where an extra bathroom might be a greater appeal than a home theater.

Reviewing the OPs build thread again and his location in his case my guess is the theater will be a selling point and maybe he will recoup a good part of his investment neglecting his labor. Of course as mentioned above the first person to look at it could be the right person and willing to pay a premium because of the theater, but law of averages tells me that for every one person it entices there may well be 5 that it distracts. Sure if you price it as it wasn’t there 4 out of 5 will like getting a deal of the theater thrown in, but that is a lot different than asking them to buy something that wasn’t in their mind of needing.

So my stand is it will sell and you will get some value for your beautiful work. It will likely take longer to sell than if it wasn’t there.

None of this should be a deterrent to building a home theater unless you really plan a short term stay. The pleasure a theater gives to those that want them is priceless. I have a home theater but it is on the extreme modest end of the spectrum. In my case and with the value of my home and if I knew I wanted all my equipment to move with me I could have my room converted to den or bedroom in one long day all by myself, and that is what I would do.

Bud
post #29 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I have been reconsidering my first reply and did some google searching on homes with home theaters and I’m coming to the conclusion this is really driven by both the price point of the home and also the location. My searches showed many million dollar plus homes some up to 30 million all boasting all kinds of specialty amenities pools, spas. greenhouse, billiard room, bowling alley, tennis courts, specialty garages, stables, etc, etc and of course home theaters. Big cities and the west coast of the USA seemed to label any or all these things as desirable.

When I looked in the heartland and sub million dollar places they didn’t pop up as often and once I got out of the stratosphere in pricing it seemed there was little out there in the real world where an extra bathroom might be a greater appeal than a home theater.

Reviewing the OPs build thread again and his location in his case my guess is the theater will be a selling point and maybe he will recoup a good part of his investment neglecting his labor. Of course as mentioned above the first person to look at it could be the right person and willing to pay a premium because of the theater, but law of averages tells me that for every one person it entices there may well be 5 that it distracts. Sure if you price it as it wasn’t there 4 out of 5 will like getting a deal of the theater thrown in, but that is a lot different than asking them to buy something that wasn’t in their mind of needing.

So my stand is it will sell and you will get some value for your beautiful work. It will likely take longer to sell than if it wasn’t there.

None of this should be a deterrent to building a home theater unless you really plan a short term stay. The pleasure a theater gives to those that want them is priceless. I have a home theater but it is on the extreme modest end of the spectrum. In my case and with the value of my home and if I knew I wanted all my equipment to move with me I could have my room converted to den or bedroom in one long day all by myself, and that is what I would do.
I agree with much of what you said...especially with your point, you build a theater for your own pleasure and not as an investment.
bud16415 and pkinneb like this.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-16-2020, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I agree with much of what you said...especially with your point, you build a theater for your own pleasure and not as an investment.
Agreed. It’s not about money and it is a hobby that happens to be attached to our home. It gives us pleasure and enjoyment and it is not for everyone. The biggest change in FP home theater over the last 20 years that I have been doing it IMO is how affordable it is to do. I saw a youtube vid the other day where a guy was showing you how you can have a FP HT for 200 bucks. True it was pretty low end but it worked he had a 100” screen for his kids to watch movies on. I saw another more realistic where a guy had a $2000 FP HT and it would have blown most of us away 10 years ago. Point is it has never been more affordable than it is now. It baffles me why more people are not doing it, as when people come over to view a movie with us I have heard a dozen times where they were going home and convert that spare room into a HT. I even offer my help getting them going, but it never seems to happen. Just that little bit of effort is enough to spook most people off and looking at a full blown theater as part of a home purchase can be a daunting thought. I know people that love our hot tub but wont buy one for fear of maintaining one. Most people want to push the power button and change channels.
rboster likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page