Home Theater of the Month: The Beast, Unleashed - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 01-19-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Congratulations Matt on a great home theater build!! I've been following you since your time in your old house with your Klipsch and Denon set up. You set the bar very high for us all to reach for!!

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch KLF10 (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB81II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/show....php?t=1227096
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 01-19-2020, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
... am I missing some or is there really just one picture?

Just realized there’s only one picture in the entire article! Posting some key pictures from the build thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #63 of 78 Old 01-19-2020, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Interesting. How do you find Vudu's VQ? I tried them a number of years back, and the quality was all over the map... some were effectively identical to Blu-Ray, others were a mess.

But why not get good HVAC gear in the process that doesn't make a racket? Good modern HVAC gear is nearly silent even standing right next to it.

Man Vudu’s picture quality is outstanding. The first 4k film i rented on it was Hobbs & Shaw....the PQ was so good (audio was meh due to lossy Atmos), I rented Joker last week. Loved that movie so much I bought the disc today though.

On the HVAC gear, once moved (mandatory to make room for the theater) and now placed outside the soundproofed shell, there was no need to get any other HVAC system. The system is only 6 years old, and thanks to the soundproofing I can’t hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Outstanding, B². So a complete discless system, huh? Interesting. I keep checking my mailbox for that golden invite ticket...

Wabooooooo! Thanks buddy....Hey man, consider this a perpetual golden invite! You’re welcome anytime man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
Congrats on being featured! Also, thanks for the comment in the interview about balancing passion for the hobby with only paying in cash. I was in danger of taking the fun out of this stuff and using credit cards, so this was a wakeup for me.

Happy viewing.

Thanks for the congrats, and I also appreciate that you liked the part about only paying with cash. I just had to be sure to include that in the write-up because I feel so passionately about the subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang View Post
Congrats on that room! The most impressive thing about your build story, I think, is your complete refusal to let anything stop you from getting it right. I mean, you moved a finished bathroom, your furnace and a sump basin? Those are things I wouldn't even fathom doing. Quite inspirational, really.

Thank you! Oh man I had been dreaming about this theater since before we ever broke ground on the house! My last theater I really loved (There’s a thread called “BrolicBeast’s Living Room Theater” here on AVS that chronicles that build), but this theater included all my dream items and experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNG View Post
Congrats on an impressive build. Thanks for sharing the journey so it can be appreciated from afar.

Thanks! I’m happy when all the pages on the build thread provide help to those who read. It’s a tone of content to wade through, but I tried to be as detailed as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Great stuff Brolic - I remember when you got your first Seaton and posting on Marks forum - I think I gave you some tip on something and you offered a beer if ever in neighborhood - I definitely need to take you up on that sometime and check out amazing theater

Yeahhhhh I remember that review! Naw that wasn’t me (I don’t drink) but I’ll certainly offer you tons and tons of premium Apple Cider as well as a “hard drink” I’ve created that can rival any alcoholic beverage. Few people can handle it, as it involves pure squeezed lemon juice and garlic together. There’s a cup waiting for you anytime you’d like to swing by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
That is a great space!! Nice attention to detail too! Congrats on the HTotM Brolic!!

Thanks a bunch! It’s a genuine honor—I’m super excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post
Awesome build...congrats!

Ah, the master of theaters and legos himself! Thanks a lot for the congrats, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Congrats!

Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
146k.. I wish I had 1400 lol

After this build, so do i!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
You are missing that there is a build thread and many online videos posted by Brolic Beast. 17 videos on room construction.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BrolicBeast

Thanks for posting the link, BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post
Congratulations Matt on a great home theater build!! I've been following you since your time in your old house with your Klipsch and Denon set up. You set the bar very high for us all to reach for!!

Ahhhhhh my mannnnn! You remember the Klipsch and Denon setup. Man that was EVERYTHING to my eyes and ears back then!!! Thanks for keeping an eye on the goings on here at Casa De Brolic as we build this theater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowne View Post
Congrats from across the pond.

And thank you for not being shy about posting a breakdown of your costs. That type of information is often lacking when others choose to show off their builds, yet is often vital in knowing whether and how one could afford to aspire to something similar. Truly inspiring.

Thank you, and I’m glad the cost breakdown was helpful. I had always wondered about the cost factor when I was just researching for this build. A breakdown like this from another AVS member is actually how the planning for this build started. I was perusing AVS and stumbled on the Dedicated Theater Construction sub-forum. I clicked on a thread and I thought “Oh, this is the rich peoples thread. Time for me to exit immediately.” Then I clicked on one of BIGmouthinDC’s builds (Bacon Race) and saw that there was a cost breakdown in there. I went though and sat back in my chair, and had a light bulb moment: “I could do this. I really could do this! IT would take a couple years, but the time is going to pass whether I do it or not....so I’m going to do this!!!!!” I immediately sent Jeff (BIGmouthinDC) a PM and we started preliminary conversations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 Old 01-20-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Man Vudu’s picture quality is outstanding. The first 4k film i rented on it was Hobbs & Shaw....the PQ was so good (audio was meh due to lossy Atmos), I rented Joker last week. Loved that movie so much I bought the disc today though.
I might have to give it another try then. I do have a number of digital copies that I could compare side by side if I really wanted to get into the nitty gritty of it. I generally can find discs used on Amazon for relatively cheap a few months after something is released, but if I can't, streaming would be another option. I stream a ton of TV and such, I generally just use discs for movies.

Quote:
On the HVAC gear, once moved (mandatory to make room for the theater) and now placed outside the soundproofed shell, there was no need to get any other HVAC system. The system is only 6 years old, and thanks to the soundproofing I can’t hear it!
That's the hard way to do things, but that is some pretty impressive soundproofing. Does it cause noise issues in the rest of the house?
post #65 of 78 Old 01-21-2020, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I might have to give it another try then. I do have a number of digital copies that I could compare side by side if I really wanted to get into the nitty gritty of it. I generally can find discs used on Amazon for relatively cheap a few months after something is released, but if I can't, streaming would be another option. I stream a ton of TV and such, I generally just use discs for movies.

That's the hard way to do things, but that is some pretty impressive soundproofing. Does it cause noise issues in the rest of the house?

Definitely give it another try—streaming technology has improved vastly in recent years. The fact that I can sit in my front row (13.5’ from 12ft screen) and enjoy a 4k streamed movie with no artifacts speaks volumes to how far it has come. Two years ago, the landscape was totally different.

On the HVAC, if I had to move it anyway to make room for the theater, what makes it the hard way of doing things? Nope, I don’t hear it anywhere else in the house. Even before the theater was built I never heard it on the first floor—but if I was in the basement, I could definitely hear it thanks to the louvered door. I don’t even remember what it sounds like though—I haven’t heard it running in years. Lol.

post #66 of 78 Old 01-21-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Just realized there’s only one picture in the entire article! Posting some key pictures from the build thread.
Thanks! and WOW!! that definitely deserved some extra photos. It looks great!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #67 of 78 Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely give it another try—streaming technology has improved vastly in recent years. The fact that I can sit in my front row (13.5’ from 12ft screen) and enjoy a 4k streamed movie with no artifacts speaks volumes to how far it has come. Two years ago, the landscape was totally different.
Interesting. The last time I used VUDU was probably 5 years ago. Netflix's encoding is excellent, so I know it's possible to do really good looking HD and 4k via streaming, it just depends on the service. I used to be the guy arguing that 4k streaming was just as good as Blu-Ray- because it was for some movies from some services, but then I gave up on it due to the inconsistency movie to movie on VUDU.

Quote:
On the HVAC, if I had to move it anyway to make room for the theater, what makes it the hard way of doing things? Nope, I don’t hear it anywhere else in the house. Even before the theater was built I never heard it on the first floor—but if I was in the basement, I could definitely hear it thanks to the louvered door. I don’t even remember what it sounds like though—I haven’t heard it running in years. Lol.
It seems you've been very successful in doing so, but it's always harder to get rid of noise than to prevent it in the first place. Good quality HVAC gear is very quiet when standing next to it, with the exception of certain oil-fired boiler designs, which is a technology that needs to die anyway.
post #68 of 78 Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Sir this home theater build is nothing short of incredible. Congratulations on your dream build.
post #69 of 78 Old 01-25-2020, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I would love to get your opinion on dedicated circuits and how you went about this during your build. I sent a PM to you. Again and again, congratulations on your build. I have to say, your lighting between the panels is similar to what I have envisioned for my build. My HT’s design will be largely inspired by the film Blade Runner. I will be starting a build thread soon.
post #70 of 78 Old 01-26-2020, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Congratulations!

i was not aware of your build thread. I will have to spend a few hours reading it based on all of the comments I have read so far!

How do you play your ripped UHD movies? can Plex do that? if so does the projector do the tonamapping?
post #71 of 78 Old 01-27-2020, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. The last time I used VUDU was probably 5 years ago. Netflix's encoding is excellent, so I know it's possible to do really good looking HD and 4k via streaming, it just depends on the service. I used to be the guy arguing that 4k streaming was just as good as Blu-Ray- because it was for some movies from some services, but then I gave up on it due to the inconsistency movie to movie on VUDU.

It seems you've been very successful in doing so, but it's always harder to get rid of noise than to prevent it in the first place. Good quality HVAC gear is very quiet when standing next to it, with the exception of certain oil-fired boiler designs, which is a technology that needs to die anyway.

Lol, up in NY (where I’m from originally) the boiler is a way of life! Have you done any A/B picture comparisons with Vudu yet?

post #72 of 78 Old 01-27-2020, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidBishop View Post
I would love to get your opinion on dedicated circuits and how you went about this during your build. I sent a PM to you. Again and again, congratulations on your build. I have to say, your lighting between the panels is similar to what I have envisioned for my build. My HT’s design will be largely inspired by the film Blade Runner. I will be starting a build thread soon.

Thanks man, WIll check my PMs now. Once you start your build thread, please shoot me a PM with a link to it. I’d be very interested in a Blade Runner-themed cinema. I hated the movie, but loved the production elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
Congratulations!

i was not aware of your build thread. I will have to spend a few hours reading it based on all of the comments I have read so far!

How do you play your ripped UHD movies? can Plex do that? if so does the projector do the tonamapping?

Greetings! Man, it’ll take more than a few hours....it’s actually the longest build thread on the Dedicated Theater Builder forum. Would probably take a couple of days! Lol. But it was QUITE the journey....well worth the read if you have the time.

Absolutely, I use Plex for file playback, and I use the Lumagen RadiancePro for Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM), which is just a killer feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidBishop View Post
Sir this home theater build is nothing short of incredible. Congratulations on your dream build.

Thank you very much for those kind words!

post #73 of 78 Old 01-27-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Netflix's encoding is excellent, so I know it's possible to do really good looking HD and 4k via streaming, it just depends on the service.
Netflix has the best video compared to Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Go, and Showtime Anywhere.

Are you guys getting better than 15.28 Mbps when streaming Netflix in HDR?
BiggAW likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #74 of 78 Old 01-27-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol, up in NY (where I’m from originally) the boiler is a way of life! Have you done any A/B picture comparisons with Vudu yet?
In CT, almost half the state is burning fuel oil. Disgusting, nasty stuff, should be a thing of the past. No, I haven't gotten to any A/B comparisons with Vudu.
post #75 of 78 Old 01-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 225
big congrats Matt. I remember following your youtube channel back in college, so i have to give you some credit for how i got into this hobby. well deserved recognition for this beast!
BrolicBeast likes this.

JTR Speakers, RSL Atmos, Kaleidescape, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Marantz Processor, Emotiva Amps, JVC RS540
post #76 of 78 Old 01-28-2020, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
big congrats Matt. I remember following your youtube channel back in college, so i have to give you some credit for how i got into this hobby. well deserved recognition for this beast!

Thanks, man! Def appreciate the congrats and glad my YouTube channel played some role in your journey toward this glorious hobby (I had no idea they had some influence on you, although we’ve been communicating here and there since the days when the Sony VPL-VW600ES was first released!)

Naylorman32 likes this.
post #77 of 78 Old 02-23-2020, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Awesome theater I really like the IMAX vision aspect about it, well done!

Does the Lumagen handle the 16:9 curved screen and getting it to fit on the curvature - or how is that handled?
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #78 of 78 Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Awesome theater I really like the IMAX vision aspect about it, well done!

Does the Lumagen handle the 16:9 curved screen and getting it to fit on the curvature - or how is that handled?

Thanks so much! I enjoy the full floor-to-screen experience every day! And my toddler—she loves Cocomelon and Superbook on the big-screen. She much prefers watching in the theater compared to other displays in the house.

The screen curvature is handled by an ancient and old-school method perfected by ancient monks: slight overscan. While it’s a technique used to combat room geometry, it also works to eliminate the very (and I do mean VERY) slight curve at the sides of the image. It’s so mild, I can still see all the borders of the Hulu App (which is a great way to quickly determine how your projector’s lens is aligned—thick green bars on all four sides).

Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month , the beast unleashed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page