9Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I look at splayed walls as somewhat easy to do, as it can be rather sectional and manageable, size-wise. The lighting can be rather dramatic with inexpensive
LED tape lighting and aluminum extrusions, as Jeff mentions, to create a style of theater that isn't the typical North American look.

Splayed walls are about avoiding nodes and offering up potentially smoother audio. thebland's room is far more then splayed walls. The ceiling
is acoustically treated as are the walls, but those treatments are something a rectangular room with fabric panel walls can have.

Here's a few more splayed wall rooms. The IMAX is likely as complex as Jeff's and the other pair, I doubt have much in acoustical treatments.

Here is the full, VERY detailed build thread (in French, but Google easily translates) for the theater you posted pictures of. It is an incredible resource and well worth diving into!

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/installations-homecinema-dediees/un-cinema-dans-les-vignes-t30042222.html
Tedd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
This page is particular will be interesting to you:

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...2222-1455.html
post #33 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 01:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6327 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Yeah I thought of that as well. That’s what this little pocket is for in the design I made. Not sure if it’ll work in practice as I picture it in my head, but I can’t imagine why not.

Close but not quite. Sitting or walking on the side of the room if you have a clear line of sight to the led strip you will not be happy with the result, the brightness of the LEDs will look like hot spots unless your light strip is inside some kind of diffuser tube. You need to attach a lip on the outer edge of the pocket to hide the light strip.
Blackdevil77 and pkinneb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 982
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=1580210502328 talks about aluminum extrusions and various looks.
The simpler extrusions are not expensive either, but the exposed silver might warrant some masking and paint.

I doubt it really matters, which direction the light shines, except that no one wants bright LEDs shinning undiffused in one's eyes. They won't be on during a movie and if the diffuser strip itself doesn't light up, is it really an issue? I think it's then simply a look. Some people even play up the repetitive dot look. (All are non splayed wall examples.) I would hedge my bets and keep any diffuser away from the screen, but that would be a consideration for anything that might potentially light up from light coming off a screen, and having any potential of bouncing light back onto the screen (hurting contrast).

Redstripe88's build might have some DIY ideas for the indirect look.

Thanks for that link CCRoyalSenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fredrick Blue 4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2677094   Click image for larger version

Name:	fifty shades of Blue Theater a.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	2677096   Click image for larger version

Name:	cool%20side%20walls_.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2677098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Redstripe88 LED advice for lighting strips.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	2677100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Redstripe88.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2677102  

Blackdevil77 likes this.
post #35 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Close but not quite. Sitting or walking on the side of the room if you have a clear line of sight to the led strip you will not be happy with the result, the brightness of the LEDs will look like hot spots unless your light strip is inside some kind of diffuser tube. You need to attach a lip on the outer edge of the pocket to hide the light strip.
Okay, thanks. I think I know what I have to do, I'll play around with it on CAD.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 266
This isn't what I was originally thinking, but looks like it'll work

post #37 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It should work and if one has a Track saw or router, it wouldn't be hard to recess the extrusion.

Factor in material width and that double down as a way to hide a fabric edge. Or one could cap the end and work in
a touch of hardwood, as a slightly different look.

I also think these extrusions could be rather interesting as step lighting. I am thinking that it might be a different look, when coupled
with something like Big's BigA$$ steps.

A friend used black speaker grill fabric bought by the bolt, from a fabric store for his room. He did a small lower velcro'ed panel that is
removable, and he uses the depth in behind as a wire conduit. Depending where the av rack is, and if coupled with something like Big's
two goal post AT front end, that all just strikes me as some potential future proofing.

Anyways, just a bunch of ideas tossed out there....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ffb03bf75850e2b08203f046f0979b47--cinema-room-home-theatre.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	2677138  
post #38 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No idea if you are decoupling walls, but the end cap could be as simple as two strips of plywood to create the recess for the extrusion.
Here is some framing from the Down Under Theater. (The renders as the last two pictures, in post 28.) The framing doesn't extend to
the ceiling in that picture because it is mid framing and the ceiling is also splayed.

I would be asking myself what could I do with those cavities? Acoustical treatment, conduit runs, hidden surround speakers, and even
tower style in fill subwoofers would be something given consideration. Soffits could be eliminated, if so desired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fe0762ad.jpg.orig.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	2677142  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page